TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: D’TIGERS Tokyo 2021

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

truetalk wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:51 pm
truetalk wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:55 pm
bret- hart wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:25 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:48 am How a nothing and nobody can open his mouth and describe Emeka Okafor as washed up is beyond me but that’s the Internet for you. Bassey, at this point, can only hope he acquires Emeka’s pedegree. He’s got a long, long way to go❗️

Cheers.

Pedegree my arse. When Emeka Okafor was younger he chose USA. Now he is a washed up has been he wants to play for Nigeria. Bassey is 100% Nigerian. Dude is ready. I will take him over both Okafors in camp right now.
Agree with everything (maybe not the sentiment) sans the dig at Jahlil.

Jahlil's defense gets knocked a lot, and he has not been fortunate to have an NBA coach that is as patient with him as Monty has been with Ayton. I personally think he should have spent a couple of more years at Duke to develop a good work ethic, which will include better habits and defense traits.

But, this young man is gifted in the paint. The post moves are not far from Hakeem, yes the same Hakeem Olajuwon that Kobe rates top 5 all time. I know it might sound like sacrilege to some here.

Being in a Nigerian camp might just revive something in him. He was ACC player of the year and 1st team all American (I believe he, Dosunmu and Mek are the only 3 Nigerians with that honour) as a FRESHMAN.

Jahlil dished out the business against Argentina today. 15 points on 7-8 shooting, and he was mostly on the bench once the lead became wide.

Really happy for the young man. His offensive range is increasing as he was putting the ball on the ground and driving to the basket. The post moves are excellent.

He needs a team that will be built around him, where a half court offense is favored. Every team seem to want to run and gun and shoot 3's as the first option.

On the right team that has the confidence to do it a bit differently, this kid is a perennial all star.
Well, Jahlil Okafor was once projected to be the future big star of the NBA❗️

Cheers.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Cito wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:46 am
Great news!! :clap: :clap: We have a lot of revenge to dish out from the soccer side of things.

Wha choo looking at?!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Kudos to the coach. He created the belief! They all think it can be done. They are not afraid of any team. No losers mentality.
Link below shows how they are making this happen. Your support is appreciated.

https://friendsofnigerianbasketball.org/
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

These American commentators are full of it.

How can you say "How ever the hell you pronounce his name" on national TV and get away with it? I tire for America.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Lolly wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:26 am These American commentators are full of it.

How can you say "How ever the hell you pronounce his name" on national TV and get away with it? I tire for America.
Steven A Smith has always been a blabber mouth with a screech that goes straight to your last nerves. His disrespect here puts him on a different level of ‘eediocy’.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

No cause for alarm people.

I saw the 4th quarter & though it was already a blowout by then, the intensity from our guys was at a lower level.
Not making excuses, but the team may have taken it a bit easy against its groupmate. The game against Australia is a Must-Win in Tokyo, and the bench probably wanted to see the Australians do their thing. I'll still lean towards Nigeria beating Australia in Japan

https://www.usab.com/news-events/live-s ... score.aspx
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

That was some heavy defeat by Australia!

Australia 108 - 69 Nigeria!

We are in same group as Australia. They will be our first opponent at the Olympics. Hopefully we are better prepared then.

I think we've played our last exhibition match before the Olympics start.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

HOW AUSTRALIA SENT NIGERIA UNDER

1) Australia is a talented team with depth
2) Their 3-point shooting was unbelievable
3) Even though Nigeria played spirited defense, Australia was found themselves open for their shots
4) Nigeria played the pick-and-roll very poorly leaving the man setting the pick open
5) Nigeria committed far too many turnovers, giving a giving a good shooting team extra shots, while committing many fouls
6) Coach Brown may have been experimenting with his lineup (so BTW were the Aussies)
7) Nigeria's outside shooting was poor, very unlike in the US game.

Hope they'll study the film to achieve a different outcome in Japan.
(As an aside, I think Australia has a good national sports program, something sorely missing in Nigeria)
Bell
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Cito wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:30 pm
Lolly wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:26 am These American commentators are full of it.

Steven A Smith has always been a blabber mouth with a screech that goes straight to your last nerves. His disrespect here puts him on a different level of ‘eediocy’.
Now, he should go and learn how to pronounce the names. We won't forgive him the next time.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:56 am

Now, he should go and learn how to pronounce the names. We won't forgive him the next time.
Sounds sincere and unequivocal to me.
Apology accepted.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Bell wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:07 am HOW AUSTRALIA SENT NIGERIA UNDER

3) Even though Nigeria played spirited defense, Australia was found themselves open for their shots
4) Nigeria played the pick-and-roll very poorly leaving the man setting the pick open
5) Nigeria committed far too many turnovers, giving a giving a good shooting team extra shots, while committing many fouls
6) Coach Brown may have been experimenting with his lineup (so BTW were the Aussies)

(As an aside, I think Australia has a good national sports program, something sorely missing in Nigeria)
Bell
Australia has a collection of more established NBA players; they'll be a tough out. Had Nigeria been able to acquire the services of Giannis, Bam, Oladipo and Ayton that could've made it a more balanced matchup.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

theYemster wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:35 am

Bell
Australia has a collection of more established NBA players; they'll be a tough out. Had Nigeria been able to acquire the services of Giannis, Bam, Oladipo and Ayton that could've made it a more balanced matchup.
Let us temper our analysis with a little realism. These are just scrimmages. Players are only just starting to feel each other out. These results are no indication of what might happen at the Olympics proper. We can all acknowledge that D’Tigers have come a long way but there’s still much work to be done❗️

Cheers.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

theYemster wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:35 am

Bell
You should have just agreed with the solid Sports program. I don't like to give guarantees, but Nigeria will likely beat Australia in that opening game. Most of Australia's NBA players (at the Olympics) are getting up there in age & not starters as well (Delly, Mills, Baynes, Ingles). Their younger players, Green & Exum do not start as well.

They have some sharpshooters on the team with Ingles and Mills, but I think Coach Brown lowered the intensity and used the game to try a couple of things out. Don't be surprised to see D'Tigers beat Australia by 20 at the Olympics.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:27 pm
truetalk wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:05 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:58 pm
truetalk wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:20 pm On the Women's side, it will just be unfair to choose Aisha Balarabe over Evelyn Akhator. I was against Scott Nnaji's injustice in keeping Aisha Balarabe out when she was the best Nigerian player available and winning Europe league game MVPs, but that was many years ago. She has looked old and slow in the last few tournaments and it seems there is no reasonable reason for her to be in the team at all, not to talk of ahead of Evelyn Akhator, who was the best player a couple of Afrobaskets last. On another note, good to see Liz Williams and a couple of Ogwumikes.

If they can get Arike, this team might be better than Team USA.

For the women’s national team, coach Otis Hughley listed three new players — Erica Ogwumike, Oderah Chidom and Elizabeth Williams — in his squad.

Ogwumike’s sisters Nneka, a World Cup winner with the US in 2014 and 2018, and Chiney, also made the squad.

The other players who made the squad are Adaora Elonu, Aisha Balarabe, Amy Amukamara, Atonye Nyingifa, Ezinne Kalu, Pallas Kunayi-Akpanah, Ifunaya Ibekwe, Amy Okonkwo and Victoria Macauley.

Also, exciting power forward Evelyn Akhator missed out from D’Tigress squad for the Olympics, following COVID-19 travel restrictions, which prevented her from joining the other players in camp in the United States.

D’Tigress are drawn against USA, France and hosts Japan.
Have Nneka and Chiney been cleared by FIBA?

I hope the part about being better than team USA is just optimistic humor🙂❗️

Cheers.
I'll take Arike over Sue Bird right now. Taurasi is also no Spring Chicken

A front court of the Ogwumikes and Liz Williams will hold its own against Stew & Tina Charles. Maybe Griner will harass us, but we have some height as well.

Then the Nigerian team has a couple of solid players in Ezinne Kanu and Promise Amukamara.

Well, Arike is not in camp & I sense they might just not clear Nneka for the reasons stated above, so we may just never know, but I'm not kidding.
First of all, there is no member of the US Olympic Women’s team who wouldn’t walk on to the Tigeress squad.

It’s nice that you think so highly of Arike that you’ll take her over Sue Bird, the greatest point guard of all time in women’s basketball. Kobe Bryant nicknamed her “the White Mamba”, for crying out loud. Sue at 40, Dianna at 39 and Tina Charles at 32 are still the best of the best. Why do you think they are still in the WNBA? These three, along with Breanna Stewart have won everything there is to win in basketball, from high school to the pros; All American honors, multiple NCAA championships, multiple WNBA championships and more; rookie of the year, mvp, you name it, they’ve done it. Breanna has the exact same credentials as the first three I mentioned except she’s only 27.

I hail your optimism regarding D’Tigeress but the US is too deep and too talented❗️

Cheers.
I know it doesn't matter, but hope you saw Arike dominate Team USA yesterday. Actually, it does matter because of what people perceive as the bias in selection, so Team USA was going to try to shut people up (even if Taurasi was showing signs of fear before the game) https://www.insider.com/diana-taurasi-a ... oot-2021-7

As I mentioned, Arike is waay better than Sue Bird, & even Taurasi at the moment, so there is some funny business with that selection. They are already talking her up for the next Olympics. I hope they don't do her like Nneka (Dallas Wings guard Arike Ogunbowale led all scorers in her first All-Star Game with 26 points, showing she's likely to lock in a spot on the 2024 Olympic team).

As I also suggested, they were going to deny Nneka's application to switch. https://sports.yahoo.com/fiba-nneka-ogw ... 33314.html

The Americans probably don't have an issue with it, but the Europeans. Fear them. Once they feel threatened, even in things that don't matter, they start acting up. They have just stopped Nigeria from getting 2 WNBA all stars (Nneka and Liz Williams) which would have made Nigeria's women team have the 2nd best front Court at the Olympics. Both are WNBA all stars.

The coach needs to get Evelyn Akhator back on the team.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

truetalk wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:57 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:27 pm
truetalk wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:05 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:58 pm
truetalk wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:20 pm On the Women's side, it will just be unfair to choose Aisha Balarabe over Evelyn Akhator. I was against Scott Nnaji's injustice in keeping Aisha Balarabe out when she was the best Nigerian player available and winning Europe league game MVPs, but that was many years ago. She has looked old and slow in the last few tournaments and it seems there is no reasonable reason for her to be in the team at all, not to talk of ahead of Evelyn Akhator, who was the best player a couple of Afrobaskets last. On another note, good to see Liz Williams and a couple of Ogwumikes.

If they can get Arike, this team might be better than Team USA.

For the women’s national team, coach Otis Hughley listed three new players — Erica Ogwumike, Oderah Chidom and Elizabeth Williams — in his squad.

Ogwumike’s sisters Nneka, a World Cup winner with the US in 2014 and 2018, and Chiney, also made the squad.

The other players who made the squad are Adaora Elonu, Aisha Balarabe, Amy Amukamara, Atonye Nyingifa, Ezinne Kalu, Pallas Kunayi-Akpanah, Ifunaya Ibekwe, Amy Okonkwo and Victoria Macauley.

Also, exciting power forward Evelyn Akhator missed out from D’Tigress squad for the Olympics, following COVID-19 travel restrictions, which prevented her from joining the other players in camp in the United States.

D’Tigress are drawn against USA, France and hosts Japan.
Have Nneka and Chiney been cleared by FIBA?

I hope the part about being better than team USA is just optimistic humor🙂❗️

Cheers.
I'll take Arike over Sue Bird right now. Taurasi is also no Spring Chicken

A front court of the Ogwumikes and Liz Williams will hold its own against Stew & Tina Charles. Maybe Griner will harass us, but we have some height as well.

Then the Nigerian team has a couple of solid players in Ezinne Kanu and Promise Amukamara.

Well, Arike is not in camp & I sense they might just not clear Nneka for the reasons stated above, so we may just never know, but I'm not kidding.
First of all, there is no member of the US Olympic Women’s team who wouldn’t walk on to the Tigeress squad.

It’s nice that you think so highly of Arike that you’ll take her over Sue Bird, the greatest point guard of all time in women’s basketball. Kobe Bryant nicknamed her “the White Mamba”, for crying out loud. Sue at 40, Dianna at 39 and Tina Charles at 32 are still the best of the best. Why do you think they are still in the WNBA? These three, along with Breanna Stewart have won everything there is to win in basketball, from high school to the pros; All American honors, multiple NCAA championships, multiple WNBA championships and more; rookie of the year, mvp, you name it, they’ve done it. Breanna has the exact same credentials as the first three I mentioned except she’s only 27.

I hail your optimism regarding D’Tigeress but the US is too deep and too talented❗️

Cheers.
I know it doesn't matter, but hope you saw Arike dominate Team USA yesterday. Actually, it does matter because of what people perceive as the bias in selection, so Team USA was going to try to shut people up (even if Taurasi was showing signs of fear before the game) https://www.insider.com/diana-taurasi-a ... oot-2021-7

As I mentioned, Arike is waay better than Sue Bird, & even Taurasi at the moment, so there is some funny business with that selection. They are already talking her up for the next Olympics. I hope they don't do her like Nneka (Dallas Wings guard Arike Ogunbowale led all scorers in her first All-Star Game with 26 points, showing she's likely to lock in a spot on the 2024 Olympic team).

As I also suggested, they were going to deny Nneka's application to switch. https://sports.yahoo.com/fiba-nneka-ogw ... 33314.html

The Americans probably don't have an issue with it, but the Europeans. Fear them. Once they feel threatened, even in things that don't matter, they start acting up. They have just stopped Nigeria from getting 2 WNBA all stars (Nneka and Liz Williams) which would have made Nigeria's women team have the 2nd best front Court at the Olympics. Both are WNBA all stars.

The coach needs to get Evelyn Akhator back on the team.
One scrimmage doesn’t predict a whole lot about the actual strength of teams or the ultimate conditioning of individual players. After the first two D’Tigers scrimmages, could you have predicted they would lose by 40 to Australia. Scrimmages are just a learning tool ❗️

Cheers.
K
Egg
Egg

Post by K »

Rumors have it that Emegano, Gbinige, Moneke and Nwamyu are out
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

K wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:34 am Rumors have it that Emegano, Gbinige, Moneke and Nwamyu are out
Not surprised. That means Jordan Nworah is in, which makes sense since his Dad is on the bench, and he (Jordan) has shown that he can quickly light up the scoreboard, even in the NBA.

I feel for Ike Nwamu. He was cut at the last minute for FIBA as well. Not surprised about Emegano and Ghinijie.

It seems the coach is going for PG by Committee with Agada, Oni & Ireogbu. I was a little worried that Ireogbu or Oni would be cut, but we should be fine at the 1 now.

Also happy for Udoh. He was surprisingly mobile with the ball in the friendlies. He, Jahlil and Metu will pose different challenges and looks for opponents in Tokyo.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

how come the UK CEs folks can never produce a basketball prospect repping naija? However they are the first to complain . smh
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Interesting article that shows the journey to where we are today. Interesting to see the SUPPORT.

For football, people are just feeding FAT on the teams.
D’Tigers in Tokyo Olympics: From participants to contenders

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/07/dti ... ontenders/
2drama
Eaglet
Eaglet
Location: To my Late Grand-Papa Pa onyemere(he left us oct-26-07) -i miss you -R-I-P

Post by 2drama »

Damunk wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:57 pm

Apology accepted.
Sorry Steve A Smith

The Streets is not buying it

You need some of Kwame Brown's Mama's Cooking :taunt: :taunt:
http://www.2dramasports.com is live ,Get SE downloads links or watch online links
Get Your Super Eagles Games on DvD Pm 2drama don't live history have a part of it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_national_football_team
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

2drama wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:58 pm
Damunk wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:57 pm

Apology accepted.
Sorry Steve A Smith

The Streets is not buying it

You need some of Kwame Brown's Mama's Cooking :taunt: :taunt:
You show face today :)