10 Nigerian Athletes declared ineligible for Tokyo 2020

Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
10 Nigerian Athletes declared ineligible for Tokyo 2020

Post by Tbite »

I am deeply troubled by the state of Nigeria.

the straw that broke the camel's back was the suspension of the Athletes for not being tested....The kidnapping, the herdsmen crisis...I have tried to deal with that...but this suspension for something so simple....a simple administrative process. Before that it was the cones not being lined up properly https://punchng.com/deadbeat-nigeria-go ... -olympics/

I just cannot wrap my head around we can call Nigeria a country with a straight face. I don't mean it is a poor country, but just to use the name 'country'. Because there doesn't seem to be any level of organisation. Ghana is a poor country. Egypt is a poor country. Nigeria is not what I would call a country.

I am as patriotic as they come, so pigs will fly before I ever hang the towel on our 'country'.......but this is one of the most testing days for me in my 29 years of being Nigerian. So much so that I remembered my password to come and rant. I just don't understand what we are doing as a people. I can't wrap my head around it. It's just insane.

Those of us who are working to make things better in various fields. Chief Bombastic, Wanay0, Player (Nigerian basketball), please keep up the good fight, because the good in Nigeria seems to be very dim. The bad among us are winning and even gaining momentum. Nigeria is getting worse....and this is coming from someone who is known for seeing the good in Nigeria.

I long for the day that we can look back at this period in our country's history and laugh it off....because it is just insane. I haven't been going to church....and I am not religious these days, but tonight I will pray for every single Nigerian citizen and descendant, because we are a troubled people.

I hope....that one of these days one of these troubling moments will be a watershed period in our history, where our leaders snap out of it and realise the gravity of the situation....maybe even this moment will do something in sports. I hope that Dalung will look at this moment and realise the insanity. Most likely he will not, but surely we cannot live in insanity forever. Buhari is telling us to pretend that all is well, but what will the world say when Okagbare does not take to the track, when Ese Brume (who has the world leading jump) does not take to the pit?

Nigeria.......Jesus christ. I am almost in tears.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Nigeria body admits 'lapses' over athletes' drug tests

Post by Bigpokey24 »

10 of our athletes sent home

The Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) on Thursday admitted "lapses" on its part over the disqualification of 10 athletes from Tokyo Olympics for not complying with out-of-competition drug testing requirements.

The Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) had announced the disqualification of the Nigerian athletes.

The AFN, which has been plagued by power tussle for several years, said they would take responsibility for the lapses that led to the disqualification.

"The AFN bears responsibility for any lapses that may have occurred during the process and reassures Nigerians that our performances (at Tokyo Olympics) will not be negatively impacted," it said in a statement.

"All our athletes resident in Nigeria and who qualified for the Olympic Games completed the three mandatory tests," it said.

"Most of our top athletes resident in the USA also completed their tests," the AFN said.

"However, a few athletes in the American collegiate system were tested, but those tests were deemed not to have complied with WADA (world anti-doping agency) sample collection and analysis standards."

The AFN said it had appointed a top official to head its medical and anti-doping commission.

Star sprinter Blessing Okagbare, who will compete in the 100m and 200m in Tokyo, was critical of the country’s sports officials.

"The sport system in Nigeria is so flawed and we athletes are always at the receiving end of the damages," she said.

"They were busy fighting over power, exercising their pride over Puma contract/kits forgetting their major responsibility – the athletes.

"It’s sad that this cycle keeps repeating itself and some people will come out to say I am arrogant for speaking my truth. It’s my career," she added.

sam/joa/bsp
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria body admits 'lapses' over athletes' drug tests

Post by maceo4 »

*rolls eyes* more lessons
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
joao
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria body admits 'lapses' over athletes' drug tests

Post by joao »

Na today?
Seems like we just can't do anything right, due mainly to incompetence and self interest.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 10 Nigerian Athletes declared ineligible for Tokyo 2020

Post by Molue Conductor »

We just came last in rowing
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Tbite wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:43 pm I am deeply troubled by the state of Nigeria.

the straw that broke the camel's back was the suspension of the Athletes for not being tested....The kidnapping, the herdsmen crisis...I have tried to deal with that...but this suspension for something so simple....a simple administrative process. Before that it was the cones not being lined up properly https://punchng.com/deadbeat-nigeria-go ... -olympics/

I just cannot wrap my head around we can call Nigeria a country with a straight face. I don't mean it is a poor country, but just to use the name 'country'. Because there doesn't seem to be any level of organisation. Ghana is a poor country. Egypt is a poor country. Nigeria is not what I would call a country.

I am as patriotic as they come, so pigs will fly before I ever hang the towel on our 'country'.......but this is one of the most testing days for me in my 29 years of being Nigerian. So much so that I remembered my password to come and rant. I just don't understand what we are doing as a people. I can't wrap my head around it. It's just insane.

Those of us who are working to make things better in various fields. Chief Bombastic, Wanay0, Player (Nigerian basketball), please keep up the good fight, because the good in Nigeria seems to be very dim. The bad among us are winning and even gaining momentum. Nigeria is getting worse....and this is coming from someone who is known for seeing the good in Nigeria.

I long for the day that we can look back at this period in our country's history and laugh it off....because it is just insane. I haven't been going to church....and I am not religious these days, but tonight I will pray for every single Nigerian citizen and descendant, because we are a troubled people.

I hope....that one of these days one of these troubling moments will be a watershed period in our history, where our leaders snap out of it and realise the gravity of the situation....maybe even this moment will do something in sports. I hope that Dalung will look at this moment and realise the insanity. Most likely he will not, but surely we cannot live in insanity forever. Buhari is telling us to pretend that all is well, but what will the world say when Okagbare does not take to the track, when Ese Brume (who has the world leading jump) does not take to the pit?

Welcome back Tbite.

Glad to have you back.

You've been missed.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Tbite wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:43 pm I am deeply troubled by the state of Nigeria.

Welcome back. Good knowing that you are doing great.

Well, the problem of Nigeria was never OBJ, GEJ or Buhari. Nigerians are the problem of Nigeria.

When Nigeria was suspended during Siasia's age declaration issue, the then NFA secretary, Patrick Okpomo (RIP) said that the problem is that while other countries get competent people to cover their mistakes Nigeria look for the most INEPT people to fill such slots.

We have no SHAME :boo:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

I have to admit that I am beginning to agree with those who categorised Nigeria as a failed state. Not surprised that athletes switch allegence , talent really isn't appreciated in that country.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

soothsayer wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:10 pm

I have to admit that I am beginning to agree with those who categorised Nigeria as a failed state. Not surprised that athletes switch allegence , talent really isn't appreciated in that country.
We are a nation of individuals. The strength of a country is its unity. Even Usain Bolt would not have been that special without the united force behind him. Without people like Glen Mills, local meets etc.

Perhaps Nigerians have not been taught about the true strength of unity. You see it in the western world, that unity is greater than individualism. But in Nigeria, our default is individual ability. Even the D'tigers believe that their individual athletic ability is their strength.

and unity is not about fear as some people are making it these days. We don't understand the true value of being united (unity means working together, Nigerians have been told that it means being together) so we work individually and we think that is the hallmark of success. They say that the administrators have been tied up in court battles and are distracted by various financial deals, all the while they have lost focus on the athletes. These are problems that emerge when we think as individuals.

I look at Australia and it is not a country of individuals. In fact, no Australian even thinks of particular individuals when the country is mentioned. The first thing an Australian will think of are the opportunities. Nobody cares about individuals here. They even downplay your accomplishments here (Although that creates another problem: see Israel Adesanya's tall poppy speech (New Zealand same thing). But the point is, the group is more important here.

That's how we as Nigerians have to think. I think we are stuck in a rut from colonial days and we need to reset. All the things we spoke about here for years it sounds too easy and convenient to be true. Divide and conquer sounds too simple, but it is true. Nigerians born in 2007 are still facing the same problems as Nigerians born in 1938.

We have to work together. The lab tests did not meet the standard...these are things that checks and balances would pick up, if we had layers of quality workers helping the system.

Life is better when you work with your fellow citizens. Of what use is fighting court battles or over sponsorship deals? Big Ogas that die of stress in their 50s. Okagbare will be insulted for speaking the truth.

Nigerians are the most capable people on the planet, we all know this......so why do we doubt ourselves? We just need to work together. That is our only weakness. I do not see how any country could stop Nigeria if we work together...and this is not patriotism talking.

I remember the street that I grew up in Ibadan. I was not the best in ANYTHING. I was the 2nd or 3rd fastest when we ran track. The kid next door was better at building architectural models, the other kids built better toys, there was talent everywhere. But you go overseas you get more opportunities and people say you are better. Better than who? Better than those kids I grew up with? Nigerians are more talented than the Chinese, than Australians! But our talent is wasted by individualism.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Tbite wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:15 pm
soothsayer wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:10 pm

We are a nation of individuals. The strength of a country is its unity. Even Usain Bolt would not have been that special without the united force behind him. Without people like Glen Mills, local meets etc.

Perhaps Nigerians have not been taught about the true strength of unity. You see it in the western world, that unity is greater than individualism. But in Nigeria, our default is individual ability. Even the D'tigers believe that their individual athletic ability is their strength.

and unity is not about fear as some people are making it these days. We don't understand the true value of being united (unity means working together, Nigerians have been told that it means being together) so we work individually and we think that is the hallmark of success. They say that the administrators have been tied up in court battles and are distracted by various financial deals, all the while they have lost focus on the athletes. These are problems that emerge when we think as individuals.

I look at Australia and it is not a country of individuals. In fact, no Australian even thinks of particular individuals when the country is mentioned. The first thing an Australian will think of are the opportunities. Nobody cares about individuals here. They even downplay your accomplishments here (Although that creates another problem: see Israel Adesanya's tall poppy speech (New Zealand same thing). But the point is, the group is more important here.

That's how we as Nigerians have to think. I think we are stuck in a rut from colonial days and we need to reset. All the things we spoke about here for years it sounds too easy and convenient to be true. Divide and conquer sounds too simple, but it is true. Nigerians born in 2007 are still facing the same problems as Nigerians born in 1938.

We have to work together. The lab tests did not meet the standard...these are things that checks and balances would pick up, if we had layers of quality workers helping the system.

Life is better when you work with your fellow citizens. Of what use is fighting court battles or over sponsorship deals? Big Ogas that die of stress in their 50s. Okagbare will be insulted for speaking the truth.

Nigerians are the most capable people on the planet, we all know this......so why do we doubt ourselves? We just need to work together. That is our only weakness. I do not see how any country could stop Nigeria if we work together...and this is not patriotism talking.

I remember the street that I grew up in Ibadan. I was not the best in ANYTHING. I was the 2nd or 3rd fastest when we ran track. The kid next door was better at building architectural models, the other kids built better toys, there was talent everywhere. But you go overseas you get more opportunities and people say you are better. Better than who? Better than those kids I grew up with? Nigerians are more talented than the Chinese, than Australians! But our talent is wasted by individualism.
Comet/Blue Moon alert.

Where did you breeze in from?

We used to call you kid, but you've been gone for so long, I feel like calling you Granps!!

Welcome back.

As for Naija, the country was not set up to work. It is beyond operational or even structural. It is foundational. I'll leave it at that.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

You've definitely been in isolation for sometime. Dalung stopped being Sports Minister over 2 years ago.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

I FEEL YOUR PAIN

That is why I come here to complain. It's not even the complicated things - it's the simple things that Nigeria cannot seem to do, because there is no sense of accountability and people's feet are not held to the fire. In another thread, I was criticized because I called out the "experts" instead of simply taking their word for it. How can one do that when the mistakes are so simple and so numerous? It's inexplicable.

In a sense, it is not so bad that Nigeria once again blew it here. Does anyone think Nigeria was about to distinguish itself in Tokyo? Athletics (and everything else) have been falling in Nigeria so much so that even the tiny Caribbean nations are winning medals where Nigeria can't. It's in all phases of life that Nigeria demonstrates incompetence. You feel sadder when you recall what has been attributed to Mandela: that the black race would not be respected until Nigeria earns respect. Pele put it more narrowly: Nigeria would be the first black country to win the WC. Think of the hope of these men and think of how Nigeria has responded.

As for "our leaders snapping out of it", unless the people snap out of it first, the so-called leaders would not - the leaders reflect the people. I've been doing my best to promote the presidential candidacy of Kingsley Moghalu, a man who can take Nigeria into the modern era, but instead of taking a serious look at him, there are those who actually favor failed leaders like Atiku and Buhari over him. Even though his credentials are superior and he looks the part, they want him to run for governor first while Nigeria remains under the futile rule of the old guard. Bottom line, blame the people before blaming the "leaders".

As for praying for the nation, there are those who are doing that constantly and hopefully it will pay off soon. Hopefully, you'll become a part of them because, at the end of the proverbial day, deliverance lies with God, not man.
Bell
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Lolly wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:49 pm

You've definitely been in isolation for sometime. Dalung stopped being Sports Minister over 2 years ago.
Those of you who support this system and administration blindly constantly fail to appreciate the gravity of the issues facing us as a nation. The fact that Dalung was ever a Sports Minister far outweighs the fact that he no longer is. His ineptness as the Sports Minster is still adversely affecting the development of sports and athletes in this country❗️

Cheers.
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

Just completely numbing? Isn’t it? If one thing will give us hope, it’s that it’s getting harder and harder to pretend everything is ok in Nigeria.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...those inept folks running things in Nigeria still have their ardent supporters, even here on CE. I call them all iidiots!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

look at all these grown men whining etc... go and complain to the folks that run sports or whatever ... you are here complaining to each other , as if anyone here will even do anything..kai too funny...next time do not vote for buhari
SuperEagles

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:36 pm
Lolly wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:49 pm

Those of you who support this system and administration blindly constantly fail to appreciate the gravity of the issues facing us as a nation. The fact that Dalung was ever a Sports Minister far outweighs the fact that he no longer is. His ineptness as the Sports Minster is still adversely affecting the development of sports and athletes in this country❗️

Cheers.
The problem with you people is your refusal to speak the truth due to your biases. If the poster wanted to blame anybody, he should blame the right minister and that person is not Dalung.

Meanwhile, I guess you have forgotten that Nigeria did not win an single medal in London 2012 and only a paltry bronze by the football team in 2016. The decline didn’t start with Dalung or with this administration as you would want us to believe. It has been gradual since the beginning of our 4th republic and the primary cause has been the corruption that you people like to downplay.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Ipe Grams
Egg
Egg

Post by Ipe Grams »

You these abroad people have come again dragging Nigeria down and always complaining.
"Are you sure you want to go to red alert? It does mean changing the bulb..."
Kryten to Rimmer, Red Dwarf
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Ipe Grams wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:59 pm You these abroad people have come again dragging Nigeria down and always complaining.
they complain too much, they sit abroad and complain .. smh... these are empty vessels who never once added their own quota , but they fled naija and from abroad cry harder than people in Nigeria
SuperEagles

Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

Ipe Grams wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:59 pm You these abroad people have come again dragging Nigeria down and always complaining.
You are right that complaining will do no one any good. At the same time we can all see that Nigeria is down. Can we put our brains together to come up with ideas on how to lift this country we all love back home?

I'd really like to understand WHY Nigeria is where it is today, and see if we can spark new ideas. All the many ideas of the past have not worked.
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Oba wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:34 am
You are right that complaining will do no one any good. At the same time we can all see that Nigeria is down. Can we put our brains together to come up with ideas on how to lift this country we all love back home?

I'd really like to understand WHY Nigeria is where it is today, and see if we can spark new ideas. All the many ideas of the past have not worked.
Nah! we all talk talk talk and likely even 100 years from now we still be talking. If there was a sport category for talking.................
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:28 pm
they complain too much, they sit abroad and complain .. smh... these are empty vessels who never once added their own quota , but they fled naija and from abroad cry harder than people in Nigeria
Na dem dem.

Meanwhile, we have good Nigerians like Daniel Igali who returned to Nigeria after wining an Olympics Gold medal for Canada to single-handedly make Nigeria a force to reckon with in World Wrestling. One of his girls is in the final of her weight class.