Should Nigeria Reconsider Olympic Participation?

Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bell
Egg
Egg
Should Nigeria Reconsider Olympic Participation?

Post by Bell »

Nothing demonstrates the decline of standards in Nigeria in all aspects of life better than what’s taking place in Tokyo under the guise of the Olympics. Decades ago, Nigeria was sure to come home with a few medals even if they were mostly of the bronze or silver variety. The expectation was that as Nigeria got its act together, gold, and more of it, would become part of the haul.

Folks, the opposite is happening as Nigeria lurches from incompetency to greater incompetency. Only a few optimists expected Nigeria to come home with any medals from Tokyo but Nigeria has found ways to underperform those low expectations: officials didn’t comply with the testings required by the IOC which has found many athletes disqualified with whatever slim chance they had at medaling reduced to zero. It reminds me of the time in Lagos when NFA officials didn't show up to deliver shorts needed by the SE for an international match leaving Yekini to call for scissors to cut their warm up pants.

You look at the games on tv and turn to the medal table to see “obscure” countries, smaller and poorer than Nigeria medaling up. There was the sight of little Jamaica claiming all the medals in the women’s 100 m, an event in which Nigeria should feel naturally endowed genetically. Other Caribbean countries, most of them a fraction of Lekki, are also climbing the podium, Nigeria nowhere to be seen. What excuse does Nigeria have this time? Even some smaller African countries are winning.

Are heads going to roll because of this? If the past is any guide, the answer is no. Is this something the president should get involved in and use it to address the lack responsibility and a sense of accountability among elected/appointed officials? Some would say no, allegedly because Nigeria has other more important priorities (like security, infrastructure, food, etc.). But I’d argue that Nigeria spends a tidy sum on sports and has a sports minister. What’s the country getting back for these, other than underlining what many already know: that a lot of cleaning has to be done in the country? Why not redirect the funds to other areas of need, like schools?

The time of trying to be the good global citizen should be over. I don’t think the country needs to completely abandon the Olympics but a token delegation would do until basic competency is restored.
Bell
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Should Nigeria Reconsider Olympic Participation?

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

👆🏿That’s sentimental nonsense. The only Olympic Games in which Nigeria really stepped up was the 1996 Olympic Games in which we won 6 medals, including 2 gold medals. I’m just as disappointed as the next guy but we must keep trying❗️

Cheers.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:08 am 👆🏿That’s sentimental nonsense. The only Olympic Games in which Nigeria really stepped up was the 1996 Olympic Games in which we won 6 medals, including 2 gold medals. I’m just as disappointed as the next guy but we must keep trying❗️

Cheers.
SO YOU'RE SAYING...

...Nigeria should just continue to go to the games to lay eggs? Why not first introduce sound management and find athletes who have a chance to medal instead of throwing scarce money away every four years? Shouldn't someone first find out what the likes of Barbados and Bahamas and Israel and Philippines et al are doing right?
Bell
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Bell wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:18 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:08 am 👆🏿That’s sentimental nonsense. The only Olympic Games in which Nigeria really stepped up was the 1996 Olympic Games in which we won 6 medals, including 2 gold medals. I’m just as disappointed as the next guy but we must keep trying❗️

Cheers.
SO YOU'RE SAYING...

...Nigeria should just continue to go to the games to lay eggs? Why not first introduce sound management and find athletes who have a chance to medal instead of throwing scarce money away every four years? Shouldn't someone first find out what the likes of Barbados and Bahamas and Israel and Philippines et al are doing right?
Bell
How much “sound management” would have prevented Okagbare from testing positive for HGH, Oduduru from false starting or Adeloye from pulling a hammy? A Nigerian female wrestler is about to wrestle for gold in the 68kg freestyle wrestling event. Should she have been denied the opportunity to go for gold because, in your opinion, there is no “sound management”❓❗️

Cheers.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Bell, Nigeria Police should step up and take it's rightful place Nigerian sports.
NIGERIA POLICE SPORT

The exploits of Samuel Peters “The Nigeria Nightmare”, a member of the Nigeria Police and former World Boxing Council {WBC} heavy weight champion of the world, KiKelomo Ajayi, former skipper of Nigeria Super Falcons, and a member of the Nigeria police, Chioma Ajunwa, and late Sunday Bada, have ignited a feeling of what sports can do to embellish the image of the Nigeria

The police image in Nigeria in respective of the innovations going on under the Inspector General of Police Mohammed D. Abubakar is still in dire need of respectability and has to be improved upon. One way to do it is through sports.

Of the 35 Nigeria athletes that represented the country at the Nigeria Ghana athletics competition in 1958, 15 were policemen. The Nigeria police team (Police Machine team) were finalists in 1962. Adeleye Samuel (a police officer), was the captain of the Nigeria contingent to the First All Africa Games held in darker Senegal in 1963. He later rose in sporting eminence to become the chairman of the Nigeria Boxing Board of Control(NBBC).

Sunday Oyarekhua, now a retired police officer, was a member of the Green Eagles and the famous all Africa Games gold medal winning team in 1973 at the national stadium Lagos. At Kaduna’77 and the First Ecowas Games in ’77 held in Lagos, Sergeant Ogwana, Nnema Udo and Nwabude won medals.

At the ’79 National Sport Festival, Azuh won a gold medal each in the 800 and 1,500 meters, while Inspector C. Okonkwo grabbed the gold medal in the weight–lifting event and was invited for the pre Olympic trials.

Nigeria police sportsmen and women have followed these excellent performances with David Izonritei (now a USA based professional boxer winning a silver medal in an Olympics boxing tournament. Sunday Bada, former head of technical department of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN), once dominated the 400 meters race in Africa. He was a world indoor champion in 400 meters.

Sunday Bada capped it up by winning a silver medal in the 4 x400 meters relay event at Sydney 2000 Olympic Games. The biggest glory brought to Nigeria in sports by the police remain, the spectacular performance of Chioma Ajunwa at the Atlanta’96 Olympic Games and the achievement of Samuel Peters.

Chioma Ajunwa, it will be recalled, won a gold medal in the Atlanta ’96 Olympics long jump event. A feat that made her the first ever Africa woman to win an Olympic gold medal in that event and an entry into the Guinness book of records. The import of this chronology of achievements of the police in sports is to show how relevant the police have been in positively influencing the image of Nigeria through sports.

That policemen and women had to stay in camp, obey camp rules, display a spirit of discipline, teamwork and dedication for positive results, runs counter to that image that they should not be trusted and if possible avoided.

Adeleye’s captainship to the first all Africa Games in Dakar ’63 and Sunday Bada’s unmatched record as a famous world 400 meters runner and a major think-tank in Nigeria athletics circle, is a proof of confidence in the police. Chioma Ajunwa is a role model by the police to positively influence the opinion of the youths and the growing number of adults in sports. Presently, the reverse is the case. She is seen as a mere sports person and not necessary as a member of the Nigeria Police. The Inspector General of Police, Solomon E. Arase has included sports in his reform agenda.

By the nature of their training, police personnel are enjoined to always display discipline. As long as discipline remains the watchword of sports, the police will continue to be relevant. Julius Aghahowa ex-super Eagles hitman was once a member of Police Machine Team.

Nigeria police is working towards producing more players for the U-21, U-23 and the Super Eagles to compliment the efforts of Kikelomo Ajayi and others hoping that in future, such products will star in the English Premiership, Spanish La Liga, French championnet,German Bundesliga or Italian Serie A.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

historically

Tokyo 2020 - 0 gold 1 silver 1 bronze
Rio 2016 - 0 gold 0 silver 1 bronze
London 2012 - 0 gold 0 silver 0 bronze
Bejing 2008 - 0 gold 3 silver 2 bronze
Athens 2004 - 0 gold 0 silver 2 bronze
Sydney 2000 - 1 gold 2 silver 0 bronze
Atlanta 1996 - 2 gold 1 silver 3 bronze

if anything, the low was in 2012 and now we are slowly climbing back up
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

The latest scandal now is the PUMA one. How do we continue to drop low and low in such things? Have we created a system of continual incompetence?
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

No, Olympics is beyond the winning

I know this sound corny, but its a global festival of participants (Win or lose)

Because we are not winning doesnt mean we should abandon the game. There are many countries ahead and behind us who have had little to no medals

In terms of medalling, we can't just show up every 4 yrs and expect results when in the interim years we don't pay attention or invest in various sports

I for one am proud of EVERY Nigeria Olympian for giving it a go

If they win I will be elated but if not Im just as proud of them and it doesnt take anything away from the fact that I want to see the team compete strongly with the best the world has got to offer
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

[instagram]https://www.instagram.com/p/CSOfCmRlN0h[/instagram]

The UK athletes saw an improvement in their performance when part of the lottery profit was allocated towards grassroot sports. The US can do the same.

In the case of Nigeria. We have to find a formula that won't require the government funding grassroot sports
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

In my opinion, controversially, the availability of government funding for Olympics may be the root cause of Nigeria under performance.

It creates perverse incentives the officialdom mess and corruption we see at every Olympics games.
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

AreaDaddy wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:24 am In my opinion, controversially, the availability of government funding for Olympics may be the root cause of Nigeria under performance.

It creates perverse incentives the officialdom mess and corruption we see at every Olympics games.
I have to agree, interestingly enough some UK athletes who saw their funding cut still medalled for GB. Some got financial support from crowdfunding and individual sponsors.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

..."reconsider Olympics participation"? how will the oga thieves chop money then? They can't convince corporate sponsors, only the government can give them money for free.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Nigeria joins the illustrious company of India, Indonesia, Pakistan, and Bangladesh as the countries with the lowest olympic medals per capita. As you can see those countries don't have a huge sporting tradition (outside of their niche sports) and aren't very athletic, but Nigeria, the world's largest black population can't produce consistent performers on the world stage. I've never seen a bigger waste of space in my life. Tiny Jamaica can produce first class sprinters yet Nigeria, oil Nigeria, can't produce much. I thank the athletes for repping and competing but this is not a pat on the back, this is simply embarrassing.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Ipe Grams
Egg
Egg

Post by Ipe Grams »

AreaDaddy wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:24 am In my opinion, controversially, the availability of government funding for Olympics may be the root cause of Nigeria under performance.

Even with private funding there would still be corruption as you can see with the PUMA deal and how to loot funding is the main priority and when the games are over everything quiets down till the next event on the horizon nothing learned or improved in preparation and mistakes in the last games.
"Are you sure you want to go to red alert? It does mean changing the bulb..."
Kryten to Rimmer, Red Dwarf
Ipe Grams
Egg
Egg

Post by Ipe Grams »

akamoke wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:09 am No, Olympics is beyond the winning

I know this sound corny, but its a global festival of participants (Win or lose)

Because we are not winning doesnt mean we should abandon the game. There are many countries ahead and behind us who have had little to no medals

In terms of medalling, we can't just show up every 4 yrs and expect results when in the interim years we don't pay attention or invest in various sports

If they win I will be elated but if not Im just as proud of them and it doesnt take anything away from the fact that I want to see the team compete strongly with the best the world has got to offer
Is it too much in asking in some effort at least on improving from the last outing?
"Are you sure you want to go to red alert? It does mean changing the bulb..."
Kryten to Rimmer, Red Dwarf
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Ipe Grams wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:56 am
akamoke wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:09 am No, Olympics is beyond the winning

Is it too much in asking in some effort at least on improving from the last outing?
Well how do you do that

Not from behind a screen I tell you

You know, the US are already investng in Olympians for (get this) 2028 through youth programs etc

We cannot (at least I dont) expect anything other than participation from our athletes and if they medal that is a bonus, now if we want improvements, then the investment must start now...for 2028 and beyond

The fact that there were 2 medals despite our lack of investment in our athletes and infrastructure is FULL credit to the two individuals , and God bless them despite the circumstances
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Mr. Piffington wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:57 pm Nigeria joins the illustrious company of India, Indonesia, Pakistan, and Bangladesh as the countries with the lowest olympic medals per capita. As you can see those countries don't have a huge sporting tradition (outside of their niche sports) and aren't very athletic, but Nigeria, the world's largest black population can't produce consistent performers on the world stage. I've never seen a bigger waste of space in my life. Tiny Jamaica can produce first class sprinters yet Nigeria, oil Nigeria, can't produce much. I thank the athletes for repping and competing but this is not a pat on the back, this is simply embarrassing.
For me its a pat on the back of the Athletes who did their best despite the prevailing circumstances

The embarrassment is for ALL of us not just the organization

My son was swimming some 5 yrs ago and really building is confidence only for some dunderheads to ask what will he do with Swimming in Nigeria, thankfully his confidence is not shattered and he has other options like South Africa and Italy to compete for

Im beyond sentiments and look at enabling environments for sports for my son and his interests

We have over invested in football, even at that we are lousy - time to diversify our sports and our mindset
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

:woot: :rotf: :rotf: