Welcome to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics forum

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
BREAKING: PUMA TERMINATES 4-YEAR CONTRACT WITH AFN

Post by Lolly »

BREAKING: PUMA TERMINATES 4-YEAR CONTRACT WITH AFN

German sports wear manufacturing giants PUMA has terminated its four -year contract with the Athletics Federation of Nigeria.

In a letter dated Wednesday 4th August 2021 and signed by the company’s director Manuel Edlheimb, PUMA said it was officially notifying the Athletics Federation of Nigeria of its termination of Sponsoring and Licensing Agreement.

“We are referring to the licensing and sponsoring agreement signed between our company and your federation. As a direct consequence of the recent Athletics Federation of Nigeria developments, particularly at the Tokyo Olympic Games 2020 and pursuant to clauses 9.2 and 7.3 of the Agreement, we hereby terminate the Agreement with immediate effect.

“PUMA especially declares to be discharged from any or all obligations towards all stakeholders involved and Athletics Federation of Nigeria reserves all rights against these entities and individuals”.

The Athletics Federation of Nigeria under the leadership of Engr Ibrahim Gusau signed a 4 year contract with PUMA in 2019 and was due to expire in 2022. Part of the contract is that PUMA will supply apparels to all age categories to Nigeria’s Athletics team for four years at no cost.

In addition, gold medalists at the Olympic Games will earn $15,000, silver medalists will get 5,000 while a bronze medal will fetch athletes wearing the PUMA apparel at the games $3000.

The minister of Youth and sports Sunday Dare had vowed in a statement that Nigerian Athletics athletes to the Games will not wear PUMA because of a leadership tussle between the Ibrahim Gusau led AFN board and the one being championed by the minister.

Several efforts were made to give the athletes the PUMA kits including shipping bags of kits with 40 items each to Tokyo through the Nigerian Embassy in Japan but Mr Dare wrote to the Ambassador stopping him from sending the kits to the athletes.

It will be recalled that on September 3, 2020 the Department of State Services DSS cleared the Ibrahim Gusau led board and its marketing firm Dynamic Sporting Solutions Nigeria Limited of receiving money meant for the AFN.
Last edited by Lolly on Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: BREAKING: PUMA TERMINATES 4-YEAR CONTRACT WITH AFN

Post by Lolly »

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/gusau-why ... e-account/
Gusau: Why AFN PUMA money was paid into a private account

26th April 2021 in Sporting Sun, Sports

...Gusau refutes Sports Ministry’s claim on court judgment

Embattled Shehu Ibrahim Gusau has admitted the money paid by sportswear and equipment company, PUMA was paid into an account not belonging to the federation.

Gusau also admitted for the first time in an interview on a Nigerian television network, Africa Independent Television, AIT that money was indeed paid by PUMA for the contractual agreement reached with the AFN in July 2019 to supply kits and equipment to Nigerian athletes.

Gusau claimed the federation does not have any bank account in its name and that monies received from the Federal Government were not controlled by him.

“The AFN does not have any bank account and I don’t have control over monies received from the sports ministry.

The monies from the sports ministry are paid into private accounts,” said the former Nigerian lawmaker.

Gusau believes he has not violated article 3 of World Athletics Integrity Code of Conduct on integrity standards saying there was no way he could have paid into an account he does not have control over. PUMA had revealed its agreement with Nigeria in a February 2020 letter signed by its General Counsel, Dr Martin Brenda and addressed to Olamide George, acting president of the AFN.

The company confirmed that Engr Shehu Ibrahim Gusau and Sunday Adeleye negotiated and signed the contract papers on behalf of the AFN.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg
Re: BREAKING: PUMA TERMINATES 4-YEAR CONTRACT WITH AFN

Post by Oguleftie »

Gusau also stole money meant for arranging to test athletes.
Gusau should have nothing to do with athletics.
EVERYTHING athletics should be handed over to the athletes that have won medals over the years in competitions.