How can Nigeria cope with injuries?

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Eddydove
Egg
Egg
How can Nigeria cope with injuries?

Post by Eddydove »

Is anyone else really worried about Nigeria's World Cup chances now that the squad has been named? How can the team cope with injuries with the likes of Odunlami, Nwofor and Gabriel in backup? Here are some of my thoughts with Goal Nigeria...would love any opinions of the Cyber Eagles family.

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4082/edi ... ID=HP_HN_1

It would be good to get some of your thoughts on the selection. Get in touch: @Eddydove
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: How can Nigeria cope with injuries?

Post by smartbrother »

Eddydove wrote:Is anyone else really worried about Nigeria's World Cup chances now that the squad has been named? How can the team cope with injuries with the likes of Odunlami, Nwofor and Gabriel in backup? Here are some of my thoughts with Goal Nigeria...would love any opinions of the Cyber Eagles family.

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4082/edi ... ID=HP_HN_1

It would be good to get some of your thoughts on the selection. Get in touch: @Eddydove

If Keshi can craft a plan that completely avoids having to use Gabriel, Babs, Uchebo, Yobo at CB and Odunlami at right back then we should be fine.
Essentially we need to find a way to prosecute a world cup with only 16 outfield players.
I think its doable if we don;t plan on playing more than 5 games at the tournament
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

A lot of Nigerians are afraid of truly speaking their mind about Keshi, partly because of the NFF who are essentially vultures, waiting to destroy the fabric of the team, at the slightest chance.

and at the same time, some are still in shock due to the ANC.........they struggle to think that a man that has brought back some joy, can do any wrong.

Your article is definitely on point. You didn't cover on the little injuries here and there though, for Nsofor, Joel Obi. I personally do not see that as an excuse, because from the release list, questions had been asked and even within the 23 proper, FIFA even gives you provisions for those types of things. I think one of the reasons why he drops Igiebor and Joel Obi..or even the main reason, is that he is experimenting late on, just like Jürgen Klinsmann! So anybody that aren't core players like Moses, Mikel, Enyeama, Onazi, Omuero etc (Both due to their indispensability, but also due to their caps under him) cannot really be picking up injuries or missing training or matches right now!

In essence, he is doing last minute preparations and although we actually still have some time before the World Cup and even the cushion of that FIFA injury clause, because Keshi is fine tuning the team, so late on.....he wants his squad players and first team players actually getting involved! And he even hints at that, when he says that Mba was not pushing hard enough.

As per the real reason why he chose some of those players, well I personally may never know, unless he releases an autobiography, or something along those lines.

To answer your real question, can Nigeria cope with injuries...well I highly doubt it, why speculate? Just look at what happened in the Confed Cup and the type of players that came off the bench and how highly ineffective they were.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Nigerians are funny. I don't know why people are acting surprised about this selection. The guys chosen are the best guys in the provisional list. The real surprise was the provisional list itself and not the selected 23. Long before the provisional list was presented, I lamented on the mistakes we'd made in the past. Keshi is making the same mistake. What is this mistake? Well, it is not learning from your mistakes. Uwa was removed from the field in the first half and Odunlami was his replacement. Now if this is not a head scratcher I don't know what is.

The first 11 is fine but that's where it stops. For the first time Naija could have had the strongest squad Africa has ever produced on the WC stage but we blew it again.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****