Africa's record at the 2014 WC

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Heliopolis
Egg
Egg
Africa's record at the 2014 WC

Post by Heliopolis »

Contrary to what the kool-aid gang are spewing, Africa experienced yet another disappointing showing at the 2014 WC. In 17 matches at the WC, African teams recorded a grand total of 3 wins.

Cameroon: 3 losses, 1 GF, 9 GA
CIV: 1 win, 2 losses, 4 GF, 5 GA
Nigeria: 1 win, 2 losses, 1 draw, 3 GF, 5 GA
Ghana, 2 losses, 1 draw, 4 GF, 6 GA
Algeria: 1 win, 2 losses, 1 draw, 7 GF, 7 GA

Total:
3 wins, 11 losses, 3 draws
19 GF, 32 GA

Even if you take out the disgraceful Cameroon showing, you still get:
3 wins, 8 losses, 3 draws
18 GF, 23 GA

The fact of the matter is African FAs and CAF are still light years behind Europe and South America, and as a continent, CAF remains below average at the WC.

The kool-aid gang may celebrate 2 African teams advancing to the 2nd round of the WC for the first time in history but both advanced with just 4 points in fairly light groups. The only way CAF's WC might have been salvaged is if CIV finished 2nd and defeated Costa Rica to advance to the QFs. Instead CIV choked as usual. Nonetheless, 3 wins from 17 WC matches is a woeful record.
ElHadary
Suspended Member
Re: Africa's record at the 2014 WC

Post by ElHadary »

As an Egyptian I want to say if you guys are going to have a go at Helio I won't jump in, okay I said my piece. :D
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Well, 2 African teams made it to the 2nd round. That in and of itself is notable.

More importantly, Nigeria and Algeria showed serious organization, discipline, and fighting spirit. Pretty good talent. Every game was a contest. Suffice it to say...and this unfortunately always hasn't been true about African teams...the whole was greater than the sum of the parts.

This is something to build upon. Africans always speak to a pipeline of talent. Well, here's the chance to integrate this talent into an emerging machinery of football production. At least for Nigeria and Algeria. I'll say the same for Ivory Coast...and I will disagree in advance with others who contest this...but they too played to potential.

Ghana and Cameroon need a complete overhaul. Ghana in particular could have done much, but threw it away.

On the whole, this was a success for Africa. It will be a failure only if the aforementioned teams lose the structural gains achieved in this WC. With Nigeria...again, this is my opinion...I'd keep Keshi and have him build onwards, much like Klinsmann is for the US for 2018.

Well done Nigeria, Algeria, and Ivory Coast! Well done!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Heliopolis wrote:Contrary to what the kool-aid gang are spewing, Africa experienced yet another disappointing showing at the 2014 WC. In 17 matches at the WC, African teams recorded a grand total of 3 wins.

Total:
19 GF, 32 GA

18 GF, 23 GA

The fact of the matter is African FAs and CAF are still light years behind Europe and South America, and as a continent, CAF remains below average at the WC.

The kool-aid gang may celebrate 2 African teams advancing to the 2nd round of the WC for the first time in history but both advanced with just 4 points in fairly light groups. The only way CAF's WC might have been salvaged is if CIV finished 2nd and defeated Costa Rica to advance to the QFs. Instead CIV choked as usual. Nonetheless, 3 wins from 17 WC matches is a woeful record.

At least Egypt's absence saved us from having to deal with 3 more losses :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: The individual african countries earned the right to go and mess up at the world cup. No amount of moaning, bitching, petulant crying from you will ever take that away from them.

Keep hating
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Heliopolis wrote:Contrary to what the kool-aid gang are spewing, Africa experienced yet another disappointing showing at the 2014 WC. In 17 matches at the WC, African teams recorded a grand total of 3 wins.

Total:
19 GF, 32 GA

18 GF, 23 GA

I agree that we have a lot of work to do if we were to improve. But in your haste to lay blame at the feet of the African FAs and CAF you refused to first of all look at what the successful FAs are doing well.

You can't expect to play well and do well when your (our) teams are a reflection of our respective governments and people.

Success takes work (hard work). You have to have continuity in order for whatever long term goal to bear fruit. You have to invest in the tools of your trade. We have to take a long another look at our local leagues and the continental club tournaments. We also need to look at how we assemble and train our teams.

Next is to evaluate our playing styles... we are looking less and less African without really mastering the 'foreign' way of playing...

Lastly, but more importantly we need to invest in getting our retired players to take up coaching... demand that the coaches we produce in Africa be good enough to teach our kids the proper way the game ought to be played.. the impacting of football knowledge that exists in between the ears.

Hopefully, the teams who did not qualify will push the other teams to put in the work to make the entire continent proud.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

When will egypt even win a common worldcup game in our life time... the useless CAF is even located in egypt. Smh....
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

metalalloy wrote:

Total:
19 GF, 32 GA

18 GF, 23 GA

At least Egypt's absence saved us from having to deal with 3 more losses :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: The individual african countries earned the right to go and mess up at the world cup. No amount of moaning, bitching, petulant crying from you will ever take that away from them.

Keep hating
Typical brain dead response I am expected from you. Seriously, what do useless people such as yourself offer this forum? :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you told anyone on this forum before the tournament CAF teams would win only 3 matches, not a single person would have taken that. Now that the tournament is over, some want us to believe 3 wins was a success?

Yes, 2 CAF teams made it to the 2nd round, but this represented only the 4th highest continental representation in the 2nd round (both in terms of # of teams qualified and percentage), behind Europe, North and South America. We finished 4 out of the 5 confederations. This is not an achievement.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Total:
19 GF, 32 GA
good post, but take out the KO phase...which still makes for a poor showing.

3 wins
9 losses
3 draws

CIV were so so close to making it. I still feel we are making progress football-wise.

Cameroon - tough group
Naija - OK group and they beat their 'rival'
Ghana - shoulda coulda
Algeria - great football
CIV - very very unlucky

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Heliopolis wrote:
Typical brain dead response I am expected from you. Seriously, what do useless people such as yourself offer this forum? :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you told anyone on this forum before the tournament CAF teams would win only 3 matches, not a single person would have taken that. Now that the tournament is over, some want us to believe 3 wins was a success?

Yes, 2 CAF teams made it to the 2nd round, but this represented only the 4th highest continental representation in the 2nd round (both in terms of # of teams qualified and percentage), behind Europe, North and South America. We finished 4 out of the 5 confederations. This is not an achievement.
I am brain dead i agree, i offer nothing to this forum, i agree. Still doesn't change the fact that you are a sore pathetic loser who only sees negatives in everything he watches just because your sorry #$% pathetic team can not qualify for a world tournament. You are a loser and will remain a loser for the rest of your miserable life. :D

Sit back and keep living off the shine of other countries as we keep on earning the right to "disgrace Africa" :taunt:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Definitely better than the past WCs. There is improvement

We have a few things to fix for sue especially from an administrative side. 1) better organization which includes good planning such as paying the prayers on time and better logistics 2) for teams like civ, hiring proper coaches
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

YUJAM wrote:Definitely better than the past WCs. There is improvement

We have a few things to fix for sue especially from an administrative side. 1) better organization which includes good planning such as paying the prayers on time and better logistics 2) for teams like civ, hiring proper coaches
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

metalalloy wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:

I am brain dead i agree, i offer nothing to this forum, i agree. Still doesn't change the fact that you are a sore pathetic loser who only sees negatives in everything he watches just because your sorry #$% pathetic team can not qualify for a world tournament. You are a loser and will remain a loser for the rest of your miserable life. :D

Sit back and keep living off the shine of other countries as we keep on earning the right to "disgrace Africa" :taunt:
Helio, pele o! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

metalalloy wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:

dayumnnnnnnnn :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: man down , man down
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

tfco wrote:

Total:
19 GF, 32 GA
good post, but take out the KO phase...which still makes for a poor showing.

3 wins
9 losses
3 draws

CIV were so so close to making it. I still feel we are making progress football-wise.

Cameroon - tough group
Naija - OK group and they beat their 'rival'
Ghana - shoulda coulda
Algeria - great football
CIV - very very unlucky
Again, lets call it right down the middle rather than making excuses for sorry teams such as Cameroon.

Cameroon - would not have advanced out of any group in this tournament. Piss poor. Lets not forget they were in an easy group in the 2010 WC and still failed. Lets not forget they have won 1 WC match out of their last 15, and it was a 1-0 win against Saudi Arabia (after Germany beat them 8-0). A team that failed to qualify for the last 2 ACNs had no business being at this WC. You can thank Cape Verde and Issa Hayatou for their appearance in Brazil.

Nigeria - Poor in the group stage, I question how many groups they would have advanced out of. Nonetheless, they played well against France.

Ghana - They were in a genuinely tough group. They had the same problem as usual which was lack of finishing, however we saw Ghana experience serious off-field problems which may have destabilized them.

Algeria - Very good showing.

CIV - Crap. Easy group. No excuses not to qualify. They left their 2nd round hopes to chance and they got burned.

Overall only Algeria demonstrated the total package in this tournament - and it's not easy for an Egyptian to compliment the Algerian NT. The other teams were either OK or were just plain terrible (Cameroon). The biggest concern IMO is the overall lack of improvement from the 5 African sides compared to 2010 and their 2006 counterparts. Given CAF teams have failed to improve in recent years its hard to imagine a better showing in 2018.