[WC 2022] SENEGAL 0 NETHERLANDS 2 FT (Gakpo, Klaasen)

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Re: [WC 2022] SENEGAL 0 NETHERLANDS 1 (Gakpo)

Post by iworo »

airwolex wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:08 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:01 pm isn't Gakpo a CIV man? isn't Depay a ghana man? i dey vex seeing all these Africans wounding us
Gakpo na Togo.

I knew Senegal was going to lose the game when it dragged on. African Countries always screw sheet up.
His father was born in Togo and has Ghanaian ancestry, while his mother is Dutch.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

txj wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:06 pm
YUJAM wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:50 pm Gakpo is their 10. So he came from a midfield position and someone from midfield should’ve picked him up. That’s probably Kouyate’s assignment if he is playing.

But I see some doomsday types in this thread. Senegal actually played really well. They did not look poor and ragged like Iran and Qatar. They are more than capable of handling both Ecuador and Qatar.
txj wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:44 pm
green4life wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:58 pm Mendy should've done better to anticipate De Jong's floating cross - especially given its his favored pass from his repertoire. I saw it coming from a mile away. Senegal needs a draw in this game or they will have to win Ecuador (plus the gimme 3pts Qatar) to qualify.

where was the defence in picking up the run?

The run was from the box, going from left of the penalty area across the box
Kalidou was ball watching
There's enough blame to go around however Mendy is the last line of defense and the Mendy who set clean sheet records en route to leading his club to wining the CL last year would've dealt with that cross with his eyes closed. Aerial balls are Mendy's strength by a mile.
GREENWHITEGREEN
Egg
Egg
Re: [WC 2022] SENEGAL 0 NETHERLANDS 2 FT (Gakpo, Klaasen)

Post by GREENWHITEGREEN »

Unfortunately, Senegal snatched defeat from the jaws of a draw. The Dutch's day of reckoning go come soon.
-Simpli fy -
smallpikin
Egg
Egg

Post by smallpikin »

mate wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:34 pm
gosh wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:30 pm
mate wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:13 pm Football is cruel with thin margins and some luck, especially between near evenly matched teams.

Holland took advantage of 1 breakdown by Senegal on that goal. You can't blame the goalie for facing a 1:1 like that.

It's unfortunate that Mane was not available. Again, thin margins.

So far, no European team looks like a powerhouse.
Easy there, Mate. The Netherlands are a powerhouse. Sometimes it is the little things the European teams do (example, maintaining discipline) but the African teams don't do are what spell the difference between a powerhouse and non-powerhouse. How can you play so well, but fail to explore your offensive opportunities and make childish blunders to concede 2 goals in the dying minutes of a crucial game?
Well, that was my point: thin margins. I agree on the discipline part being part of this. Senegal broke down on that go ahead goal, 1 moment of indiscipline.

I could be wrong as it's 1 game, but Holland didn't look like a powerhouse. I have them in the semifinal against Brazil. Let's see.
England do look like a powerhouse, unless you don’t consider them as European. So far, England are the strongest team I have seen in this World Cup.
"If you aren't keeping the score
you're only practising". Hugh Collum, Finance Director, SmithKline Beecham.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

mendy was a joke! :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Watching Senegal, this is the reason African countries struggle at the world cup. They have the Nigeria-94 problem. A team that dominates opponents, but loses concentration at critical time. smh.

African countries... kai! Why are we so lacking in the mental side of games?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
okuns
Egg
Egg

Post by okuns »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:54 pm Watching Senegal, this is the reason African countries struggle at the world cup. They have the Nigeria-94 problem. A team that dominates opponents, but loses concentration at critical time. smh.

That game really pissed me off. But honestly, Senegal was rather toothless in the match. Can't remember putting the dutch defense under severe pressure.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:53 pm mendy was a joke! :oops:
Yup.

A massive let down for "Africa's #1"

Horrific. What lazy a%% play, let his team down.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:19 pm
Yup.

A massive let down for "Africa's #1"

Horrific. What lazy a%% play, let his team down.
Is his performance any different from what he has been doing at Chelski this season?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^Exactly. Hopefully no more than an issue of form for Mendy. Worst case scenario, he’s reached the often unavoidable state of “arrived” which blights many footballer’s would be ascension to the stars.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:54 pm Watching Senegal, this is the reason African countries struggle at the world cup. They have the Nigeria-94 problem. A team that dominates opponents, but loses concentration at critical time. smh.

So true. The Senegalese are also toothless, a problem they still have to overcome.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: [WC 2022] SENEGAL 0 NETHERLANDS 0

Post by Undertaker »

King Futcha wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:32 pm i'm convinced all those saying Senegal can't cope without Mane have never seen them play before.
They can't win without Mane!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

Undertaker wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:37 pm
King Futcha wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:32 pm i'm convinced all those saying Senegal can't cope without Mane have never seen them play before.
can yall win with frankie de turnover giving the ball away?
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

Saints baby we did it
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

King Futcha wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:41 pm
King!!!! Can you remind the USA national two that "soccer" is played for two halves!
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

I thought the defender that let Gapko run across him was the main culprit on the first goal. Was he ball watching, focused on holding the line or both? Letting an attacker run in front of you, closer to the ball in the box is defensive mistake 101. His pocket was picked there. On the second goal, Senegal had committed too many men forward. Can't blame them for going for an equalizer giving the way the game had gone. It was more tactical than Mendy's fault especially when I see Aloui Cisse directing the players play by play.

They may have looked toothless (partially agree) but I'm sure going into the game, a draw was an acceptable result (probably for both teams) when the others in the group are Qatar and Ecuador. So first priority was defensive solidity to not concede. Take your chances but keep the shape. Sarr had the beating of De Ligt who looked uncomfortable all game.

All is not lost, Ecuador has Ener Valencia and 1 or 2 other decent players. I'm sure Koulibaly and his mate will manhandle :D Valencia, no problem. Qatar and Iran have refused to park the bus which sucks for them but a good thing for entertainment. There's still a legit path to 2nd round for Senegal.

Not sure why their mentality is being knocked, if anything, they had loads of it and were very business like, very serious. Made our friendly against Portugal even more of a joke. It's an unfortunate loss, but they can't go wrong eventually if they always play like that. I was proud. Give credit to Gapko and the ball delivery, the 2nd is a breakdown that was perhaps, worth it.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

I've been saying this for months but a certain someone in the Chelsea thread called me a racist.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

kalani JR wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:22 am
I've been saying this for months but a certain someone in the Chelsea thread called me a racist.
for good reason.
Saints baby we did it
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

kalani JR wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:22 am
Wait What? I thought you were an ashy broke bum from the slums of Eastleigh Nairobi who was fortunate enough to get a US refugee Visa.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Great analysis

They played respectably abs did not look second best to the Dutch. They weren’t like some of the teams we’ve seen that can’t string two passes together.

They looked solid in all facets except the attack where they clearly miss Sadio.

But certainly a very respectable showing overall.

felarey wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:10 am I thought the defender that let Gapko run across him was the main culprit on the first goal. Was he ball watching, focused on holding the line or both? Letting an attacker run in front of you, closer to the ball in the box is defensive mistake 101. His pocket was picked there. On the second goal, Senegal had committed too many men forward. Can't blame them for going for an equalizer giving the way the game had gone. It was more tactical than Mendy's fault especially when I see Aloui Cisse directing the players play by play.

They may have looked toothless (partially agree) but I'm sure going into the game, a draw was an acceptable result (probably for both teams) when the others in the group are Qatar and Ecuador. So first priority was defensive solidity to not concede. Take your chances but keep the shape. Sarr had the beating of De Ligt who looked uncomfortable all game.

All is not lost, Ecuador has Ener Valencia and 1 or 2 other decent players. I'm sure Koulibaly and his mate will manhandle :D Valencia, no problem. Qatar and Iran have refused to park the bus which sucks for them but a good thing for entertainment. There's still a legit path to 2nd round for Senegal.

Not sure why their mentality is being knocked, if anything, they had loads of it and were very business like, very serious. Made our friendly against Portugal even more of a joke. It's an unfortunate loss, but they can't go wrong eventually if they always play like that. I was proud. Give credit to Gapko and the ball delivery, the 2nd is a breakdown that was perhaps, worth it.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Undertaker wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:52 pm
King Futcha wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:41 pm
King!!!! Can you remind the USA national that "soccer" is played for two halves!
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

I have been complaining for a long time about the set up of Senegal. Defensively compact, which allows them to stay long enough in a game to do a smash and grab job. With Mane the only creative force in their team they could do something. When I saw Gueye pretending to be an attacking midfielder,I knew they were really in trouble

They lack creativity up front , just a bunch of hardworking headless chickens.

All it takes to beat them is the opposing game upping the game against them. As soon as Depay entered you knew they were due for the slaughter slab.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

YUJAM wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:54 am Great analysis

They played respectably abs did not look second best to the Dutch. They weren’t like some of the teams we’ve seen that can’t string two passes together.

They looked solid in all facets except the attack where they clearly miss Sadio.

But certainly a very respectable showing overall.

felarey wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:10 am I thought the defender that let Gapko run across him was the main culprit on the first goal. Was he ball watching, focused on holding the line or both? Letting an attacker run in front of you, closer to the ball in the box is defensive mistake 101. His pocket was picked there. On the second goal, Senegal had committed too many men forward. Can't blame them for going for an equalizer giving the way the game had gone. It was more tactical than Mendy's fault especially when I see Aloui Cisse directing the players play by play.

We are tired of respectable showings! we want to win!!!

As for the goal, i believe Mendy called for the ball to be left, as he was coming out to punch the ball.