Argentina vs Saudi Arabia 1-2 FT

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mate
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Argentina vs Saudi Arabia 1-2 FT

Post by mate »

theDunamis wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:23 am
mate wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:13 am I agree. Most of my picks were based on who I thought could play at a good level across the tournament.

It’ll still take 2 more games to flesh things out for a team like Argentina. But Messi once and for all is not Maradona. He just can’t seem to get Argentina to the promised land in the WC.

If he couldn’t in 2014, I don’t see it now.

When folks study the folks who make valid stakes to GOAT in any endeavor, they will find that it is not only talent. Talent is vital and it is needed. But is not enough.

Tennis (women): Serena Williams

Tennis (men): Raphael Nadal, Roger Federer

American football: Tom Brady

Basketball: Michael Jordan

When one studies the careers and lives of those folks, one will find that in addition to talent were grit, stubbornness and a burning fire. Whether that fire came from a raw and ever-flaming competitiveness they were born with. Or the need to settle scores -- finding scores to settle always to keep the fire burning. Or a chip on their shoulders from nothing directly related to the sport. These folks had a fire always burning within and that was insatiable in every defining moment, in every game, and thus over a career.

Their talents were the engines -- and there they featured 16 cylinders plus turbo where contemporaries had a ceiling of 8 -- but the fuel for those exceptional engines was that fire -- always burned; always insatiable; always willing demanding. And so they were and are like men and women possessed.

In that 2014 final between Argentina and Germany, it was the final evidence for me that Messi just did not have that fire. His exceptional engine did not have that pure, unadulterated, high-combustible fuel to put the required distance between him and his team and a Mario Götze with a 4-cylinder engine that soon finds its rare but critical moment and spark of brilliance.

Excellent post.

I agree especially with the highlighted part. That single game was his moment. There were at least 2 occasions Messi was clear with only the goalie to beat...but he didn't, whereas he normally buries them.

The final. Chance to be the GOAT. As you said, he failed. I kinda knew then...but waited for final clarity.

The last WC was clearly a disaster for Messi and Argentina. It would be the stuff of miracles to turn things around in this one. No, Messi is not Maradona...a player I grew up watching.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
return2k2
Egg
Egg

Post by return2k2 »

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

ohsee wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:56 pm
Cellular wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:20 pm Watching the replay of this game I hope this is the last match this center Ref gets to ref at this World Cup.
Ogbuefi, I know I often laff at conspiracy theories, but I strongly suspect that the World Cup refs get instructions from that thoroughly corrupt organization that runs things. After all, the World Cup is a huge business, and there is no worldwide television profit in having Saudi Arabia play Morocco in the WC Final.
FIFA is a stinking corruption cesspool.

They are always ahead of the game... doing cosmetic things to appear like the odds are not stacked.

Did you watch the FIFA Uncovered documentary?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

smallpikin wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:12 am Saudi Arabia declares public holiday to celebrate beating Argentina —> https://www.espn.com/soccer/saudi-arabi ... -world-cup
Wow! Public holiday, eh? I think the players and all their supporters and indeed the nation of Saudi Arabia, deserves such.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Cellular wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:52 pm
ohsee wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:56 pm
Cellular wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:20 pm Watching the replay of this game I hope this is the last match this center Ref gets to ref at this World Cup.
Ogbuefi, I know I often laff at conspiracy theories, but I strongly suspect that the World Cup refs get instructions from that thoroughly corrupt organization that runs things. After all, the World Cup is a huge business, and there is no worldwide television profit in having Saudi Arabia play Morocco in the WC Final.
FIFA is a stinking corruption cesspool.

They are always ahead of the game... doing cosmetic things to appear like the odds are not stacked.

Did you watch the FIFA Uncovered documentary?
No, I did not. I will look for it.