Argentina vs Saudi Arabia 1-2 FT

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Argentina vs Saudi Arabia 1-2 FT

Post by airwolex »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:08 pm
airwolex wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:06 pm Good news for Argentina is if they combine Poland and Mexicos best 11, they should win easily. They are very lucky with their draw.
Bad news for Argentina is that except for 2006, Mexico has not lost to the top seed in their group since 1994
If they can't beat this Mexican team then too bad. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Anyone see the Football Purist TXJ?

Just want to see what he has to say...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Watching the replay of this game I hope this is the last match this center Ref gets to ref at this World Cup.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

txj wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:03 pm
fabio wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:11 pm
mcal wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:43 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:18 pm This game even makes me despise Rohr more, that German fraud actually instilled the mindset into many of us that it was ok to lose to the team with "better" players, maybe that's why this present crop of Nigerian players are so mentally lazy and so quick to accept defeat...the Saudis aren't an elite team but look how how they played their lungs out today against one of the best teams in the world...e no go better for Rohr walahi
...stop blaming Rohr, blame your oga thieves at the NFA.
The Saudi players were well motivated, well pampered, their coach well paid, and not owed a riyal.
Now can you say that about your people?
Keshi and Rohr worked under similar circumstances.

Mindset is also important.

Keshi believed in his team (AfCon winner and WC 2nd Round).

Rohr believed you needed players in the ECL and other top leagues in the world. (AfCon bronze and WC Group stages)

Have you ever wondered how much more we could've achieved with Keshi given the right management support?

It is us Nigerians who enable poor leadership...
One thousand percent agree.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Argentina vs Saudi Arabia 1-2

Post by ohsee »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:50 pm Imagine the sheer arrogance! :oops:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/mundi ... 419/page-6
Argentina fan from Argentina forum wrote:
I wouldnt be surprise if their players and fans are just waiting for autograph and swapping jersey with European and South American star players. Trying to win the WC is clearly not their objective. Its like when teams like USA and Russia hosting a tournament. We beat USA 4-0 at their home in 2016 cause they're simply limited.

If we scores 1 or 2 inside first 30 minutes, I could see Saudi also folding and getting thrashed by the final whistle.
https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/mundi ... 419/page-5
Another Argentina fan from Argentina forum wrote:
No one can tell me Messi can not score at least 2 goals vs Saudi.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
E don clear dem for eye :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

mate wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:56 pm I have to say Saudi Arabia looked good. The were very composed, not nervous, playing their A game...skill, teamwork, neat passion, tactical discipline, especially in tight offsides positions. Fit and athletic too, able to force opportunities that paid off in 2 goals.

:clap:

Again, I THANK Saudi Arabia and Tunisia. Because, BELIEVE ME, alarms are screaming the Croatian camp to take Morocco with the highest respect.

Also as a football fan, I like other teams from other regions emerging. Maybe some countries can break through, inspired by games like this? Once and for all, not as a 1 off...also, let's not forget 2 more games are to be played for Argentina and Saudi Arabia.

Lastly, Argentina is no doubt good...but I thought they were overrated by pundits as WC favorite. Brazil, sure. Messi is way past his best. And it's not saying that much that Argentina is more balanced than in the past few WCs, where they were grossly overweighed on offense.
mate, I told you the first round is for minnows, where they come to play their A+ game in the first couple of games. Of course, as the tournament progresses, the minnows fall off because they cannot maintain the momentum, not having the experience, the mental strength, or the depth. When the Socceroos scored first against Africa United, I was worried that my boys would fall like the worthless Argies. But praise be to Mbappe, the god of soccer, who took the game by the proverbial scruff. :thumbs: :clap: :clap: :agree: :agree:
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

ohsee wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:44 pm
mate wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:56 pm I have to say Saudi Arabia looked good. The were very composed, not nervous, playing their A game...skill, teamwork, neat passion, tactical discipline, especially in tight offsides positions. Fit and athletic too, able to force opportunities that paid off in 2 goals.

Again, I THANK Saudi Arabia and Tunisia. Because, BELIEVE ME, alarms are screaming the Croatian camp to take Morocco with the highest respect.

Also as a football fan, I like other teams from other regions emerging. Maybe some countries can break through, inspired by games like this? Once and for all, not as a 1 off...also, let's not forget 2 more games are to be played for Argentina and Saudi Arabia.

Lastly, Argentina is no doubt good...but I thought they were overrated by pundits as WC favorite. Brazil, sure. Messi is way past his best. And it's not saying that much that Argentina is more balanced than in the past few WCs, where they were grossly overweighed on offense.
mate, I told you the first round is for minnows, where they come to play their A+ game in the first couple of games. Of course, as the tournament progresses, the minnows fall off because they cannot maintain the momentum, not having the experience, the mental strength, or the depth. When the Socceroos scored first against Africa United, I was worried that my boys would fall like the worthless Argies. But praise be to Mbappe, the god of soccer, who took the game by the proverbial scruff. :thumbs: :clap: :clap: :agree: :agree:
Uncle Ohsee i am becoming a believer o. This Mbappe guy is the the chosen one.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

danfo driver wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:40 pm You just have to respect and cherish Diego. One can single-handedly drag two teams to trophies (Arg and Napoli), while the other needs a supporting cast.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Cellular wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:20 pm Watching the replay of this game I hope this is the last match this center Ref gets to ref at this World Cup.
Ogbuefi, I know I often laff at conspiracy theories, but I strongly suspect that the World Cup refs get instructions from that thoroughly corrupt organization that runs things. After all, the World Cup is a huge business, and there is no worldwide television profit in having Saudi Arabia play Morocco in the WC Final.
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

ohsee wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:30 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:18 pm This game even makes me despise Rohr more, that German fraud actually instilled the mindset into many of us that it was ok to lose to the team with "better" players, maybe that's why this present crop of Nigerian players are so mentally lazy and so quick to accept defeat...the Saudis aren't an elite team but look how how they played their lungs out today against one of the best teams in the world...e no go better for Rohr walahi
The Saudi players were well motivated, well pampered, their coach well paid, and not owed a riyal.

Rohr believed you needed players in the ECL and other top leagues in the world. (AfCon bronze and WC Group stages)

Have you ever wondered how much more we could've achieved with Keshi given the right management support?

My theory is that someone or a group took out Keshi. The same dude/s took out Amodu. They knew too much and were probably preventing the "eaters". Very sad what they did. They have taken Naija back by 30 years.
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Field Marshall Ogolo wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:30 am
ohsee wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:30 pm

My theory is that someone or a group took out Keshi. The same dude/s took out Amodu. They knew too much and were probably preventing the "eaters". Very sad what they did. They have taken Naija back by 30 years.
Truth is that Nigeria is not as good as their fans think they are.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Argentina vs Saudi Arabia 1-2

Post by mcal »

ohsee wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:33 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:50 pm Imagine the sheer arrogance! :oops:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/mundi ... 419/page-6
Argentina fan from Argentina forum wrote:
I wouldnt be surprise if their players and fans are just waiting for autograph and swapping jersey with European and South American star players. Trying to win the WC is clearly not their objective. Its like when teams like USA and Russia hosting a tournament. We beat USA 4-0 at their home in 2016 cause they're simply limited.

If we scores 1 or 2 inside first 30 minutes, I could see Saudi also folding and getting thrashed by the final whistle.
https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/mundi ... 419/page-5
Another Argentina fan from Argentina forum wrote:
No one can tell me Messi can not score at least 2 goals vs Saudi.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
E don clear dem for eye :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
...they talk like typical boasting Nigerian CEs as the SE prepare for AFCON match vs a minnow :lol: :lol:
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Odas wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:51 pm
mate wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:45 pm
Odas wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:42 pm
mate wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:52 pm
Odas wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:46 pm

Thus far, my only question is, what happened to Senegal?
I saw both games.

My view is Saudi Arabia maintained enough discipline and concentration to give up only 1 goal and force 2 of their own. They were better than Argentina overall. Totally deserved result from a well prepared, fit, and better Saudi Arabia on the day...and, gotta admit, maybe on a few days if they played 5 games...in what seems like a pro-Saudi crowd.

Senegal like some said looked toothless in attack. No bad overall. But not good enough to beat Holland. Don't get me wrong, Senegal played well...just failed on that go-ahead goal and couldn't force 1 of their own.

Small margins
Well, Senegal better do something in their next game. In fact, they better win the next game, else they are as good as coming, or going back home. Like we all know, nothing beats winning the first game in all tournaments.

Agreed. The USA is in a jam now because they tied but didn't win the opener.

I'm hoping and praying Croatia gets a win against Morocco tomorrow.
Really? Why so, if I may ask?
I’m Croatian. 😉
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

ohsee wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:49 pm
danfo driver wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:40 pm You just have to respect and cherish Diego. One can single-handedly drag two teams to trophies (Arg and Napoli), while the other needs a supporting cast.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
...drug induced. He was cheating until he was caught in 1994.
Every day for the thief one for the owner.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Well said. And that is the exact point I keep making to folks who act like they have only been following football for a minute and based on that minute Messi doesn't just deserve to be mentioned with football's 2 greatest names but deserves to be number 1.

Messi is amazing. A generational talent. And only a football ignoramus would deny or not know this. However, Messi does not and cannot make a valid or credible claim to football's GOAT in a world and in a game where the names Edson Arantes do Nascimento and Diego Armando Maradona also exist. And only a football ignoramus would deny or not know this too.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

ohsee wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:44 pm

I agree. Most of my picks were based on who I thought could play at a good level across the tournament.

It’ll still take 2 more games to flesh things out for a team like Argentina. But Messi once and for all is not Maradona. He just can’t seem to get Argentina to the promised land in the WC.

If he couldn’t in 2014, I don’t see it now.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

mate wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:03 am

I saw both games.

My view is Saudi Arabia maintained enough discipline and concentration to give up only 1 goal and force 2 of their own. They were better than Argentina overall. Totally deserved result from a well prepared, fit, and better Saudi Arabia on the day...and, gotta admit, maybe on a few days if they played 5 games...in what seems like a pro-Saudi crowd.

Senegal like some said looked toothless in attack. No bad overall. But not good enough to beat Holland. Don't get me wrong, Senegal played well...just failed on that go-ahead goal and couldn't force 1 of their own.

Small margins
Well, Senegal better do something in their next game. In fact, they better win the next game, else they are as good as coming, or going back home. Like we all know, nothing beats winning the first game in all tournaments.

I’m Croatian. 😉
Oooooh, I see! That explains it. Well, welcome on board, bro. Good luck to you and your team. However, as an African, I am rooting for Morocco.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Odas wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:14 am
mate wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:03 am
I saw both games.

Small margins

I’m Croatian. 😉
Oooooh, I see! That explains it. Well, welcome on board, bro. Good luck to you and your team. However, as an African, I am rooting for Morocco.
All good my man. May it be a good game and may the best team win.
smallpikin
Egg
Egg

Post by smallpikin »

theDunamis wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:33 am

Well said. And that is the exact point I keep making to folks who act like they have only been following football for a minute and based on that minute Messi doesn't just deserve to be mentioned with football's 2 greatest names but deserves to be number 1.

Messi is amazing. A generational talent. And only a football ignoramus would deny or not know this. However, Messi does not and cannot make a valid or credible claim to football's GOAT in a world and in a game where the names Edson Arantes do Nascimento and Diego Armando Maradona also exist. And only a football ignoramus would deny or not know this too.
That legendary greatness did not stop him and Argentina losing to Cameroon in the opening match in Italia 90.
"If you aren't keeping the score
you're only practising". Hugh Collum, Finance Director, SmithKline Beecham.
smallpikin
Egg
Egg

Post by smallpikin »

Saudi Arabia declares public holiday to celebrate beating Argentina —> https://www.espn.com/soccer/saudi-arabi ... -world-cup
"If you aren't keeping the score
you're only practising". Hugh Collum, Finance Director, SmithKline Beecham.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

mate wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:13 am I agree. Most of my picks were based on who I thought could play at a good level across the tournament.

It’ll still take 2 more games to flesh things out for a team like Argentina. But Messi once and for all is not Maradona. He just can’t seem to get Argentina to the promised land in the WC.

If he couldn’t in 2014, I don’t see it now.

When folks study the folks who make valid stakes to GOAT in any endeavor, they will find that it is not only talent. Talent is vital and it is needed. But is not enough.

Tennis (women): Serena Williams

Tennis (men): Raphael Nadal, Roger Federer

American football: Tom Brady

Basketball: Michael Jordan

When one studies the careers and lives of those folks, one will find that in addition to talent were grit, stubbornness and a burning fire. Whether that fire came from a raw and ever-flaming competitiveness they were born with. Or the need to settle scores -- finding scores to settle always to keep the fire burning. Or a chip on their shoulders from nothing directly related to the sport. These folks had a fire always burning within and that was insatiable in every defining moment, in every game, and thus over a career.

Their talents were the engines -- and there they featured 16 cylinders plus turbo where contemporaries had a ceiling of 8 -- but the fuel for those exceptional engines was that fire -- always burning; always insatiable; always demanding. And so, they were and are like men and women possessed.

In that 2014 final between Argentina and Germany, it was the final evidence for me that Messi just did not have that fire. His exceptional engine did not have that pure, unadulterated, highly combustible fuel to put the required distance between him and his team and a Mario Götze with a 4-cylinder engine that soon finds its rare but critical moment and spark of brilliance.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

smallpikin wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:10 am
theDunamis wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:33 am

That legendary greatness did not stop him and Argentina losing to Cameroon in the opening match in Italia 90.

Ah, so in your world, legends never lose. Nice strawman you set up for yourself there.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Just watched most of the game and I
must say it was an interesting game. Saudi did virtually nothing in terms of possessing the ball for any sustained period of time. They did press a bit and win the ball several times in the Argentine half. I think at least one of their goals came from a turnover. They deserve a lot of credit for showing great physical fitness and for contesting ferociously. It should be interesting to see how they approach Poland and Mexico
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"