Biggest shock in WC History: Your Pick

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

What do u consider the Biggest shock in WC History?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:51 pm

South Korea 2-1 Italy (2002)
No votes
North Korea 1-0 Italy (1966)
No votes
USA 1-0 England (1950)
8%
Cameroon 1-0 Argentina (1990)
33%
Saudi Arabia 2-1 Argentina (2022)
50%
Senegal 1-0 France (2002)
8%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 24

Rawlings
Egg
Egg
Biggest shock in WC History: Your Pick

Post by Rawlings »

Poll
Last edited by Rawlings on Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
packerland
Egg
Egg
Re: Biggest shock in WC History: Your Pick

Post by packerland »

Rawlings wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:51 pmPoll
S.Korea got help, Cameron had ballers but rugged defenders and the Saudi’s finally shake off the Tunisia factor.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Biggest shock in WC History: Your Pick t

Post by mate »

I don't count older games for obvious reasons...fixing, luck, less tech so players got tired from travel or what not, less knowledge.

South Korea vs Italy was fixed.

Saudi Arabia vs Argentina is no shock at all, as the margins are finer than ever today.

Senegal vs France was an upset.

Cameroon vs Argentina was the true shock and upset...sending the message that Africa could be a force...following up on the 1982 decent Cameroon performance.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Abeg. The biggest shock is not listed.

Algeria 2 W Germany 1. 1982 WC
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

YUJAM wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:59 pm Abeg. The biggest shock is not listed.

What of Nigeria vs Spain?
A criminal trial is not a search for truth. Science is a search for truth. Alan Dershowitz
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Great point.

That one must be it for sure.

I saw it...and couldn't believe it...my 1st WC.

West Germany was a glamour team, as the media back then made them bigger stars than they were.
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

mate wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:10 pm

Great point.

West Germany was a glamour team, as the media back then made them bigger stars than they were.
My first W.C too! Was it Belloumi who scored?
A criminal trial is not a search for truth. Science is a search for truth. Alan Dershowitz
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Brazil 1 - 7 Germany, semi final 2014 in Brazil.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Field Marshall Ogolo wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:12 pm

Great point.

Madjer and Belloumi, just looked it up. In fact, those are the only 2 I remember...being ingrained after that monster upset.
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

mate wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:48 pm

Great point.

Madjer and Belloumi, just looked it up. In fact, those are the only 2 I remember...being ingrained after that monster upset.
Was that the World Cup where Paolo Rossi was all over the news? The one with the Brazilian squad that played beautiful soccer but couldn't defend diddly squat? (Even if their lives depended on it *&! ?!) Socrates and Zico should've each won a World cup apiece! I was just joining HS and our whole soccer team wasn't amused when we heard the next day that Brazil had been eliminated! It wasn't funny. We had never heard of Paolo Rossi before. What a killjoy he proved to be!
smallpikin
Egg
Egg

Post by smallpikin »

Rawlings wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:51 pmPoll
How do you control for recency bias in this sort of poll?
"If you aren't keeping the score
you're only practising". Hugh Collum, Finance Director, SmithKline Beecham.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Field Marshall Ogolo wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:24 am
mate wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:48 pm

Great point.

Was that the World Cup where Paolo Rossi was all over the news? The one with the Brazilian squad that played beautiful soccer but couldn't defend diddly squat? (Even if their lives depended on it *&! ?!) Socrates and Zico should've each won a World cup apiece! I was just joining HS and our whole soccer team wasn't amused when we heard the next day that Brazil had been eliminated! It wasn't funny. We had never heard of Paolo Rossi before. What a killjoy he proved to be!
Yep.

Truth is, Italy exploded after a mediocre 1st round. I also couldn't believe that, as I had been playing and following football. I was sophomore in HS during that WC.

Italy beat Brazil because the Azurri were more complete: talented, disciplined, dirty, ruthless, and composed. Strong in all areas. And indeed Rossi came to form.

Brazil made some bad defensive mistakes in that 3:2 loss to Italy. Zico couldn't rise to the occasion. Gentile definitely got some early kicks on him before Abraham Klein dished out a yellow.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

mate wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:57 pm I don't count older games for obvious reasons...fixing, luck, less tech so players got tired from travel or what not, less knowledge.

Saudi Arabia vs Argentina is no shock at all, as the margins are finer than ever today.

Cameroon vs Argentina was the true shock and upset...sending the message that Africa could be a force...following up on the 1982 decent Cameroon performance.
I disagree. Saudi Arabia beating Argentina is, for me, the biggest shock in the WC so far. Every other upset was by teams that were actually good. Argentina are the pre tournament favorites, how many Saudi players are playing at the highest level? Not to mention that they came back from being behind and won. Cameroon and Argentina is only a shock to non Africans.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...modern day shocker, Saudi beating the Argies tops the list. Clean beating no argument from the losers.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Mr. Piffington wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:05 am
mate wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:57 pm I don't count older games for obvious reasons...fixing, luck, less tech so players got tired from travel or what not, less knowledge.

I disagree. Saudi Arabia beating Argentina is, for me, the biggest shock in the WC so far. Every other upset was by teams that were actually good. Argentina are the pre tournament favorites, how many Saudi players are playing at the highest level? Not to mention that they came back from being behind and won. Cameroon and Argentina is only a shock to non Africans.

Argentina is overrated as a tournament favorite. Sure, good team and have the usual pedigree. But margins are smaller today. than back in the day.

I've not done a deep dive, but I think today you get more results like this. Like Iceland beating England. No easy games anymore for the most part.

Cameroon didn't make it in 1986 after a decent 1982 WC. So 1990 was a shock vs Argentina + Diego Maradona, defending champ...who still managed to get to that final.
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

mate wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:29 pm

Argentina is overrated as a tournament favorite. Sure, good team and have the usual pedigree. But margins are smaller today. than back in the day.

I've not done a deep dive, but I think today you get more results like this. Like Iceland beating England. No easy games anymore for the most part.

Cameroon didn't make it in 1986 after a decent 1982 WC. So 1990 was a shock vs Argentina + Diego Maradona, defending champ...who still managed to get to that final.
Do you think taller (but talented) soccer players have more advantage when it comes to it? Look at the way the taller Germans steamrolled the rest in 2014 WC! The Argentines are about the same height as the Azzuri with more or less same results! Giant Cameroon players have for years dominated their tiny neighbors even in their own home turfs(Surulere)
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Field Marshall Ogolo wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:22 pm

Do you think taller (but talented) soccer players have more advantage when it comes to it? Look at the way the taller Germans steamrolled the rest in 2014 WC! The Argentines are about the same height as the Azzuri with more or less same results! Giant Cameroon players have for years dominated their tiny neighbors even in their own home turfs(Surulere)

Funny, but I think you need balance. Too many tall players are as much a liability as too many short players. Now I have definitely noted something about Cameroon over the years.

They were tall with the 82-90 generation. But thin, sleek, and light on their feet. Milla? Makanaky?

I recall around 2002 WC Cameroon was like body builders. Wide. Thick. Muscular, some speed, but not laterally and technique was down. Don't know, but it looked to be not optimal for what a footballer should do...as quickness and stamina seem bedrock.

A team should have players to deal with air balls. Nice to have a few short, low center of gravity passers and possessors. A tall gifted forward helps too. All players must have stamina, be quick, and agile.

Too much muscle seems to take sometime away.
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

mate wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:08 pm

Funny, but I think you need balance. Too many tall players are as much a liability as too many short players. Now I have definitely noted something about Cameroon over the years.

They were tall with the 82-90 generation. But thin, sleek, and light on their feet. Milla? Makanaky?

I recall around 2002 WC Cameroon was like body builders. Wide. Thick. Muscular, some speed, but not laterally and technique was down. Don't know, but it looked to be not optimal for what a footballer should do...as quickness and stamina seem bedrock.

A team should have players to deal with air balls. Nice to have a few short, low center of gravity passers and possessors. A tall gifted forward helps too. All players must have stamina, be quick, and agile.

I hear you! But for Naija, their current crop is a far cry from the "sprinters" of 94-98 era. So their speed advantage is gone. Back then, every one of their player had the speed of M'bappe! Kanu was the only slow player. Nowadays they just walk. During the glory days of dictator Abacha, no one dared to walk or stroll in the field. They were all alert and giving their best to the country.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Field Marshall Ogolo wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:21 pm
mate wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:08 pm

I hear you! But for Naija, their current crop is a far cry from the "sprinters" of 94-98 era. So their speed advantage is gone. Back then, every one of their player had the speed of M'bappe! Kanu was the only slow player. Nowadays they just walk. During the glory days of dictator Abacha, no one dared to walk or stroll in the field. They were all alert and giving their best to the country.

It's a never ending discussion. So many factors and so much change in them. But sure, on my quick recollection, Nigeria has not advanced and evolved fast enough...for reasons well documented and discussed on this site.

For me, and I could be wrong, it comes down to having a stable and opportunistic society. It becomes tough to compete with countries with fully developed football pipelines with an overall good social, political, and economic situation.

Bottom line: it takes having a nucleus of players on good clubs playing big roles. That is a massive endeavor of course. So easy to say...that would take many pages of debate.

If I have quick advice: develop the Nigerian league. This is ultimately why Croatia produces good players, as the league offers lots of time, development, variation, and playing time at a decent level.