Africa is not good at football

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Africa is not good at football

Post by airwolex »

maceo4 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:31 pm
airwolex wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:24 pm Iran just beat Wales and now have 3 points and are second in the group. You guys have been watching football for years and still doing this knee-jerk thing? Let's see how the group stages pan out before we start the wailing.
If Senegal don’t spell “Qatar” today then all hope is truly lost lol…
I don't even expect that. It will be a tough game. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

airwolex wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:34 pm
maceo4 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:31 pm
airwolex wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:24 pm Iran just beat Wales and now have 3 points and are second in the group. You guys have been watching football for years and still doing this knee-jerk thing? Let's see how the group stages pan out before we start the wailing.
If Senegal don’t spell “Qatar” today then all hope is truly lost lol…
I don't even expect that. It will be a tough game. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
They need Iran’s third game to be meaningful for the sake of this WC. I won’t be surprised if Senegal gets a player or two sent off or concede an pk after that Ronaldo’s fake PK.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Local league is the way forward! huge investment is required, private Nigerians are rich enough to own teams by Nigerian standards, Nigeria should be able to produce a 25 man world cup squad with exclusively home based players, they certainly cannot do any worse than the foreign based legion that play like they met each other for the first time on match day, then you have the FA who are simply inept, disorganized and simply go to Europe looking for Nigerian diaspora to play for them, that is why the likes of Bukayo saka never considered playing for Nigeria, he will never succeed with the super eagles! he has grown in leap and bounds in the England set up
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^Hope of what? What is the expectation? Africa has come to make up the numbers, to expect any more is unsubstantiated. Simply put, not good enough and not inspired enough to fill the gulf in quality with distance run. 12/1 to have all participants eliminated first, tenner brings in 120. Think the odds have been slashed across all boards however.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

charlie wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:30 pm What I find hilarious is that most of the olodos that thought a simple coaching change before a major tournament will magically cure our problems, are the same ones complaining about the state of African football, like they are not part of the problem.

Many African countries and african football fans dont plan. They react, in most cases react stupidly and blindly.
If you want to fix the problems, stop reacting stupidly. Instead hire truly competent people with experience to do a proper assessment, then plan, implement and execute a solution.

That is what serious countries do. Its not that hard, 2026 is just around the corner.
Give it a rest. You can't lose to CAR at home and barely hold on against Cape Verde at home without fans calling for your head. Here in England most fans called for Southgate's head when they lost at home to Hungary - he had just taken them to the WC semis and the Euros final.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

aruako1 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:47 pm
charlie wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:30 pm What I find hilarious is that most of the olodos that thought a simple coaching change before a major tournament will magically cure our problems, are the same ones complaining about the state of African football, like they are not part of the problem.

Many African countries and african football fans dont plan. They react, in most cases react stupidly and blindly.
If you want to fix the problems, stop reacting stupidly. Instead hire truly competent people with experience to do a proper assessment, then plan, implement and execute a solution.

That is what serious countries do. Its not that hard, 2026 is just around the corner.
Give it a rest. You can't lose to CAR at home and barely hold on against Cape Verde at home without fans calling for your head. Here in England most fans called for Southgate's head when they lost at home to Hungary - he had just taken them to the WC semis and the Euros final.
You’ve just proved his point. Making rash decisions after 2 games is not planning. Even after losing to Cape Verde we were still on track to qualify and had time to prepare for Afcon.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

what a very unintelligent post . I guess the following didn't happens.. Unintelligent people trying to re-write history

Nigeria v Central African Republic | FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Nigeria v Cape Verde | FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Qualifier
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:05 am
akamoke wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:53 am Hestonap

In my case I’m not asking anyone to do anything , just making it clear that we don’t have the fan base which shows football is not as important to us as other things like you mentioned above , which is cool but all I’m asking is for people to put that in perspective when judging the quality of our teams because you have no idea the psychological impact of the 12 th man

Someone mentioned Jamaica above , I would even add Brazil as countries with as serious economic problems but they especially Brazil have more football crazy fans and take the game more seriously than we do

Again it’s ok if we don’t prioritise football, just don’t expect miracles when we don’t show up at the world stage physically or figuratively
You’re wrong about the fan base. The fan base prefers to spend ungodly amounts of money on the EPL than it does on Nigerian football. Clearly, football is important to them at some level. The fans have been complicit in making our football what it is❗️

Cheers.
Please see my earlier comment in response to Akamoke.

You can't ask folks to spend their limited or hard earned product on an inferior good.

The rich will fly out to watch the EPLs etc. The so called poor are no different, it is a human desire to be aspirational. They will watch the EPL via the net etc without having to travel out.

Bros...even when the Eagles are playing in Nigeria, we still use the same rubbish camera angles from the 1980s and silly annoying pitches.

The fans are not complicit, they are more savvy than we care to give them credit for. They just won't settle for rubbish if they can.
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:05 pm

You’ve just proved his point. Making rash decisions after 2 games is not planning. Even after losing to Cape Verde we were still on track to qualify and had time to prepare for Afcon.
The mistake was delaying the decision. We should have sacked Rohr immediately after the 1st round exit at world cup. That's when it was clear that he is not what was needed for the SE. Having to stick with failure for so long led to the 'rash' decision.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

What point? Is it fans that sacked the manager? If you play poorly fans EVERYWHERE will call for a manager's head (see my Southgate example). And this particular manager had been underwhelming even before the 2 games. Cameroon and Ghana sacked their managers later than us and made it.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

aruako1 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:15 pm

What point? Is it fans that sacked the manager? If you play poorly fans EVERYWHERE will call for a manager's head (see my Southgate example). And this particular manager had been underwhelming even before the 2 games. Cameroon and Ghana sacked their managers later than us and made it.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: nor mind am ..it has been 9 months and still crying for ****
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

wanaj0 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:27 pm

The mistake was delaying the decision. We should have sacked Rohr immediately after the 1st round exit at world cup. That's when it was clear that he is not what was needed for the SE. Having to stick with failure for so long led to the 'rash' decision.
Renewing his contract after the WC was actually the best thing to do at the time. Losing to Croatia and Argentina, 2 clearly better teams was not a disgrace. Croatia and Argentina beat us in 18, they'll beat us today and next yr too regardless of the coach because we never plan. We just show up and expect to win.
OCCUPY NFF!!
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:32 pm

Renewing his contract after the WC was actually the best thing to do at the time. Losing to Croatia and Argentina, 2 clearly better teams was not a disgrace. Croatia and Argentina beat us in 18, they'll beat us today and next yr too regardless of the coach because we never plan. We just show up and expect to win.
I agreed with the renewal because I wanted him to have the chance to take that team to the AFCON. However, we were underwhelming against Croatia and too cautious against Argentina after we equalised.

At the AFCON I was one of his stoutest defenders after the loss to Madagascar and we did well in the knockout stages against Cameroon and South Africa before the same overly cautious approach cost us against Argentina. In retrospect, maybe that was the best time to evaluate the relationship.

Still, I kept hoping that the longevity we had under Rohr would mean a team playing with purpose. Sadly, the second half of the first round of the World Cup qualifiers showed that we had not made much progress. At that point I wanted him gone. However, the NFF took way too much time to replace him after it became apparent that they didn't want him.

So for fans like me, it took quire a while to get to "Rohr out". It is not our fault that NFF decided to wait so limg to replace him.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

hestonap wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:25 pm

In my case I’m not asking anyone to do anything , just making it clear that we don’t have the fan base which shows football is not as important to us as other things like you mentioned above , which is cool but all I’m asking is for people to put that in perspective when judging the quality of our teams because you have no idea the psychological impact of the 12 th man

Someone mentioned Jamaica above , I would even add Brazil as countries with as serious economic problems but they especially Brazil have more football crazy fans and take the game more seriously than we do

Again it’s ok if we don’t prioritise football, just don’t expect miracles when we don’t show up at the world stage physically or figuratively
You’re wrong about the fan base. The fan base prefers to spend ungodly amounts of money on the EPL than it does on Nigerian football. Clearly, football is important to them at some level. The fans have been complicit in making our football what it is❗️

Cheers.

You can't ask folks to spend their limited or hard earned product on an inferior good.

The rich will fly out to watch the EPLs etc. The so called poor are no different, it is a human desire to be aspirational. They will watch the EPL via the net etc without having to travel out.

Bros...even when the Eagles are playing in Nigeria, we still use the same rubbish camera angles from the 1980s and silly annoying pitches.

The fans are not complicit, they are more savvy than we care to give them credit for. They just won't settle for rubbish if they can.
Typical Nigerian mentality. You say you want to be a great country but you won’t invest in it or create anything worthwhile. Instead, all you do is import ready-made products to your eternal detriment. If you won’t settle for rubbish, why not help create something that’s not rubbish by patronizing your local products❓❗️

Cheers.
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

Cheers.

Watching EPL does not preclude one from watching Nigerian football. Over 100,000 will fill major American college football stadiums tomorrow. Division 3 and 4 English teams still have fans and maintain stadiums. When Nigeria still functioned there were state leagues (e.g. LAFA division 1, 2 &3), Principals Cup, "academicals" tournaments, NUGA, NIPOLY, etc. All had a place and core fans. American fast food is booming in Nigeria, so are Amala Sky and Nkwobi joints. The South Africans broadcasting EPL still have a well supported league. EPL and Nigerian football are not necessarily substitutes for one another.
Advocating rational thought since 1987
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:32 pm

We were never going to be disgraced anyway.

We will generally have 2 teams 'better' than us in the group. So if we expect to be beaten always by better ranked team then no need playing the games. We don't need Rohr for a first round exit at the WC.

1994 was our first world cup. We did not go there to LEARN.

By the WC it was clear that Rohr is not the kind of coach to match the expectations of Nigeria. We should have severed relationship with him thus giving the new coach TIME. Delaying his sack was what got us to where we are now.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

No other citizens demarket their country like Nigerians do, so we shouldn’t be surprised when “fans” lose interest in supporting our teams.

I remember the days when the SE used to play friendlies in the UK, and then you hear guys who can’t even name 2 players in the team speak bad about the team and why they won’t be wasting their money to go and watch them play. The Jamaicans were the opposite.

A football supporter is a supporter, even when the teams are going through a bad patch. And there is no doubt about it, our football is at an all time low. I am talking about the quality of our footballers we have been producing at all levels. This academy nonsense and the mad rush to go abroad at the nearest opportunity means a lot of the players are not getting proper training at the right age before been thrown in with the wolves and then they are found wanting. We have almost 900 foreign based players spread across the world and most of them should have stayed home a bit longer but hey, ego reigns.

It would only get worse if we don’t clamp down on the exploitation of our young players who end up in backward leagues and never fully reach their potential.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

hestonap wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:54 am Asking citizens of a continent endemic with poverty to put their meagre livelihood on home to go watch matches or trace long distances to go watch matches is unrealistic. That’s just fantasy thinking. It ain’t going to happen.

I do not have the stats but I bet you in the 80s when the economic situation was not as bad, most of our local league matches were probably played at close to full crowd capacity.

I truly believe you can’t divulge our worsening footballing performance as a continent from the general decline in our economic and governance status.

Add in that effect of marketing from the EPL and other foreign leagues and its but a downward spiral.

On a side note in the almost 30 years we debuted at the WC off my head I only remember Yekini and Ahmed Musa as Super Eagles players with prolonged international careers coming back to play briefly in the Nigerian league after a long stays in Europe.

The Japs and the Saudis and the Americans have the economic advantage to attract high profile players in their swansong and have used this as one avenue to boost the profile of their local leagues in the past decades.

Outside the perennial North Africans and Sourh Africa what have most west African/ Subsaharan countries Nigeria in particular done to improve the quality of their leagues.

Bottom line, until we improve ourselves in economic and governance terms, we are at best likely to be nearly men or more frequently just there to complete the numbers. Our football is and will continually be a microcosm of the state of the rest of the society.
These same people will use their last money to buy bootleg jerseys of their favorite Euro club, spend money at pepper soup joints too catch a game, make special prayers in church for these teams. Perhaps they are better off using their meager resources to take interests in things local, rather than be captives of multinational/corporate media houses.

Long time ago, I got made fun of by Saturday morning soccer Nigerians for following the local MLS team, who at the time, used a university soccer pitch as their home stadium. I tried to rationalize with them that I physically go support the team and the organization knows I exist. Also the opportunity to travel and see other cities when playoffs come around. By nooooo…. na laff dem laff me, say na rubbish soccer dem dey play (not knowing the fact they had won back to back championships). I’ll hear these same folks spend hours arguing about Arsenal, Madrid, Man U, Chelsea…. etc. Since 2020, I’ve stopped attending overall due family emergency and prolonged time spent in location 419.

Sorry but we have a boatload of naive and dumb people, including CE fans of these club sides, who expect greatness out of the national team. Cause and effect in full display.
Last edited by scholl on Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:22 pm

Cheers.

Typical Nigerian mentality. You say you want to be a great country but you won’t invest in it or create anything worthwhile. Instead, all you do is import ready-made products to your eternal detriment. If you won’t settle for rubbish, why not help create something that’s not rubbish by patronizing your local products❓❗️

Cheers.
Ah! Great points! I agree as I share the same sentiments.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:14 pm

No other citizens demarket their country like Nigerians do, so we shouldn’t be surprised when “fans” lose interest in supporting our teams.

I remember the days when the SE used to play friendlies in the UK, and then you hear guys who can’t even name 2 players in the team speak bad about the team and why they won’t be wasting their money to go and watch them play. The Jamaicans were the opposite.

A football supporter is a supporter, even when the teams are going through a bad patch. And there is no doubt about it, our football is at an all time low. I am talking about the quality of our footballers we have been producing at all levels. This academy nonsense and the mad rush to go abroad at the nearest opportunity means a lot of the players are not getting proper training at the right age before been thrown in with the wolves and then they are found wanting. We have almost 900 foreign based players spread across the world and most of them should have stayed home a bit longer but hey, ego reigns.

It would only get worse if we don’t clamp down on the exploitation of our young players who end up in backward leagues and never fully reach their potential.
It is the same with tournaments. Nigerians that don't take any interest in the team during qualifiers and friendlies are the first to show up when we lose. At least our CE people are not like that, our differences notwithstanding.
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:22 pm

Cheers.

Cheers.
Bros, patriotism does not equate throwing away common sense.

If a product is rubbish or of poor quality (be it local or otherwise) it will ultimately cost more of your hand earned money, why would you buy it for the sake of being patriotic.

While we are speaking about football here, in real terms, it is not as important as other sectors of the society.

You want a real life practical example. Look at Nigerian universities. Our Federal universities over years have spent half of their time on strike. What have most Nigerians that can afford it do, they send their kids to private Nigerian universities. The same applies at the primary or secondary school level. Those who are able to send their kids abroad. Are you asking parents to waste their children's life chances in order to prove to be patriots - to a system that is unresponsive ?

Extrapolate the same principle to our leagues. There was a time when we had properly run clubs in this country and folks turned out to watch them on the field. I remember as a kid and teenager watching a number of the previously named challenge cup finals on TV and seeing jam packed stadia. Nigerians have shown in the past that they are and were willing to support their local clubs. So pray, what changed ?

We speak as if Nigerian fans woke up one day and decided na, we are done with our local football.

Like most things that crumble, they observed a league that was being decided at the boardrooms. They saw rubbish football pitches that the powers that be refused to improve upon. They also saw an alternative that was evidently superior.

The onus is on the provider of the goods to create a product that is attractive. Don't blame the customer for voting with his feet or in this case pocket. Show him why you deserve his money and empty patriotic rhetoric will not cut it.

This is not the 1980s of the MAMSER or WAI campaign. Folks are not that gullible anymore.
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

hestonap wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:38 pm Bros, patriotism does not equate throwing away common sense.

If a product is rubbish or of poor quality (be it local or otherwise) it will ultimately cost more of your hard earned money, why would you buy it for the sake of being patriotic.

While we are speaking about football here, in real terms, it is not as important as other sectors of the society.

You want a real life practical example. Look at Nigerian universities. Our Federal universities over years have spent half of their time on strike. What have most Nigerians that can afford it do, they send their kids to private Nigerian universities. The same applies at the primary or secondary school level. Those who are able to send their kids abroad. Are you asking parents to waste their children's life chances in order to prove to be patriots - to a system that is unresponsive ?

Extrapolate the same principle to our leagues. There was a time when we had properly run clubs in this country and folks turned out to watch them on the field. I remember as a kid and teenager watching a number of the previously named challenge cup finals on TV and seeing jam packed stadia. Nigerians have shown in the past that they are and were willing to support their local clubs. So pray, what changed ?

We speak as if Nigerian fans woke up one day and decided na, we are done with our local football.

Like most things that crumble, they observed a league that was being decided at the boardrooms. They saw rubbish football pitches that the powers that be refused to improve upon. They also saw an alternative that was evidently superior.

The onus is on the provider of the goods to create a product that is attractive. Don't blame the customer for voting with his feet or in this case pocket. Show him why you deserve his money and empty patriotic rhetoric will not cut it.

This is not the 1980s of the MAMSER or WAI campaign. Folks are not that gullible anymore.
Well stated.

:clap: :agree: :clap: :agree: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

I'll resist burying African football or shrining anyone till at least after the first day of matchday 3.
This World Cup is going to be played on grass not paper(copyright - Aliou Cisse).
Advocating rational thought since 1987