Africa is not good at football

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Re: Africa is not good at football

Post by iworo »

hestonap wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:49 pm Akamoke,

I truly believe this stuff is multifactorial but principally driven by economics.

You can’t separate the economic factor from this and it manifests itself in so many ways.

Firstly there is the direct affordability factor as I mentioned before. Please don’t blame the chap/citizen who places his sustenance and livelihood above the football factor.

There is the issue of logistics. Think back to the recent AFCON and how many hours/days it took for fans to navigate between Nigeria and Cameroon - 2 geographically close countries with horrendous transport links. Then consider even more distant countries on the continent and then ask how many can afford to travel to Qatar.

Compare that to Europe where you can get flights from the Uk to say Spain or Italy on a budget flight for less than £100 (still a fortune in equivalent terms for the average African).

I wont speak to the difficulties of travelling between African nations using a ‘foreign’ passport.

On the footballing side of things, I think folks forget how good in relative terms we had it in the 70s and 80s on the league front. Be it the Leventis, Abiola babes, NNB, insurance etc and never mind the historical heavy weights of Rangers, IICC etc.

Many lined up players that wore the GWG, footballing quality was great and no we didn’t have the impact of the internet and ready access to European leagues etc.

For those who can afford things, they will gravitate to a superior product. Even those who can’t, there is the aspiration factor. I may just chose to seat in my house in Lagos or Calabar or wherever and watch Chelsea or Arsenal play than greatly inconvenience myself to go watch a substandard game in rubbish pitches and dubious referees.

We truly underplay how much of an inferior product we have in terms of our local league. Please don’t despise folks if they choose not to partake.

My own direct experience, I still remember as a teenager attempting to go watch with my older neighbours Super Eagles games at Surulere. I get there and the rowdiness coupled with policemen cladding guns and whips randomly hitting out on fans. We turned back home to watch the games on TV rather than risk our lives.

Gast forward a few years later, I’m living in England and I can conveniently take my 8 year old son to got watch an EPL game and it’s like a proper day out beyond just the direct game experience. I know how many times the Eagles came to play friendlies in England and it was not such a great inconvenience to travel from Newcastle to London to watch them play.

Moral of the story, we don’t have the financial or economic muscle to compete. We have an inferior product that is openly in competition’ with world class opposition.

Guess what folks will vote with their feet. Whether rich one’s that fly out on a weekend to go watch Arsenal in London from Nigeria or the not so rich one’s that will sit back and watch such games on their computer streams etc.

The Japanese, Americans, South Korea have the financial and economic muscle to build decent leagues. They end up raising the standard if they’re local game and it’s no surprise that a selection of their players invariably rise to the top and are attracted by top European leagues.

The average Nigerian player who has the opportunity to play outside our shores gravitated to Turkey or Vietnam etc. why - few have the privilege of thinking in abstract terms about ‘becoming a better player’, they want their bottom line settled first. Like most in the diaspora, they have family commitments to cater to.

I can say so much but it’s just too painful to relieve stuff. I don’t know how closely you followed the Nigerian teams of the 1990s. I remember very clearly reading an interview Clemens Westerhof gave to complete football after Senegal 92. He spoke about how he went to a football kitting store can’t remember if this was in Faro or Papendal basically trying ti source for kits for the Eagles and he saw a photograph of the Eagles on the wall. He came back asking the FA why don’t we have a kit contract. I remember him talking along the lines of sponsorships for the Eagles. If my memory serves me right 1994 was the first time in Tunisia Nigeria had a kit contract. Prior to then it was not the case. How the #$% did no one think about stuff like that for the donkey years we had been playing football ? It took some white dude to force that to our attention.

Here is my summary, once again, our football is a microcosm of our society. From poor funding to corruption to brain drain amongst many other factors, we do not have the environment to allow for growth and for things to thrive.

You put out the product of such a system against that of a functional system, why are we acting surprised about the outcome?

I’m just going to put an observation out here. I speak as a Nigerian and I bet you this probably applies to most African peoples. We have not shown ourselves to be peoples that apply attention ti details. We have not shown ourselves capable of building and maintaining stuff. Our culture is not one of consistence and doing the simple things right. Look at our roads, our buildings, our institutions. Our football and sports will mirror this stuff.

Football and sports generally are meant to be fun but you and I know this stuff is so much more bigger than amateur hour. It is a financial and economic thing.
Thank you very much for your refreshing, articulate and concise post. You hit the nail on the head. :clap: :clap: :clap: :agree:
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

Africa occassionlly produces strong football teams Senegal 2002, Nigeria 1994, Ghana 2010, but fundamentally we are not strong footballing nations.

There is a pool of talent, but a chaotic system talent means absolutley nothing. The talent pool is eqivalent to countries having lots of natural resources and still being poor, thats the African Story.

North African countries which generally don't have the same breadth and depth of talent, are better organised. Not well organised but better than anything South of the Sahara with the exception of South Africa, hence dominance on the continent.
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

iworo wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:13 am
hestonap wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:49 pm Akamoke,

I truly believe this stuff is multifactorial but principally driven by economics.

You can’t separate the economic factor from this and it manifests itself in so many ways.

Firstly there is the direct affordability factor as I mentioned before. Please don’t blame the chap/citizen who places his sustenance and livelihood above the football factor.

There is the issue of logistics. Think back to the recent AFCON and how many hours/days it took for fans to navigate between Nigeria and Cameroon - 2 geographically close countries with horrendous transport links. Then consider even more distant countries on the continent and then ask how many can afford to travel to Qatar.

Compare that to Europe where you can get flights from the Uk to say Spain or Italy on a budget flight for less than £100 (still a fortune in equivalent terms for the average African).

I wont speak to the difficulties of travelling between African nations using a ‘foreign’ passport.

On the footballing side of things, I think folks forget how good in relative terms we had it in the 70s and 80s on the league front. Be it the Leventis, Abiola babes, NNB, insurance etc and never mind the historical heavy weights of Rangers, IICC etc.

Many lined up players that wore the GWG, footballing quality was great and no we didn’t have the impact of the internet and ready access to European leagues etc.

For those who can afford things, they will gravitate to a superior product. Even those who can’t, there is the aspiration factor. I may just chose to seat in my house in Lagos or Calabar or wherever and watch Chelsea or Arsenal play than greatly inconvenience myself to go watch a substandard game in rubbish pitches and dubious referees.

We truly underplay how much of an inferior product we have in terms of our local league. Please don’t despise folks if they choose not to partake.

My own direct experience, I still remember as a teenager attempting to go watch with my older neighbours Super Eagles games at Surulere. I get there and the rowdiness coupled with policemen cladding guns and whips randomly hitting out on fans. We turned back home to watch the games on TV rather than risk our lives.

Gast forward a few years later, I’m living in England and I can conveniently take my 8 year old son to got watch an EPL game and it’s like a proper day out beyond just the direct game experience. I know how many times the Eagles came to play friendlies in England and it was not such a great inconvenience to travel from Newcastle to London to watch them play.

Moral of the story, we don’t have the financial or economic muscle to compete. We have an inferior product that is openly in competition’ with world class opposition.

Guess what folks will vote with their feet. Whether rich one’s that fly out on a weekend to go watch Arsenal in London from Nigeria or the not so rich one’s that will sit back and watch such games on their computer streams etc.

The Japanese, Americans, South Korea have the financial and economic muscle to build decent leagues. They end up raising the standard if they’re local game and it’s no surprise that a selection of their players invariably rise to the top and are attracted by top European leagues.

The average Nigerian player who has the opportunity to play outside our shores gravitated to Turkey or Vietnam etc. why - few have the privilege of thinking in abstract terms about ‘becoming a better player’, they want their bottom line settled first. Like most in the diaspora, they have family commitments to cater to.

I can say so much but it’s just too painful to relieve stuff. I don’t know how closely you followed the Nigerian teams of the 1990s. I remember very clearly reading an interview Clemens Westerhof gave to complete football after Senegal 92. He spoke about how he went to a football kitting store can’t remember if this was in Faro or Papendal basically trying ti source for kits for the Eagles and he saw a photograph of the Eagles on the wall. He came back asking the FA why don’t we have a kit contract. I remember him talking along the lines of sponsorships for the Eagles. If my memory serves me right 1994 was the first time in Tunisia Nigeria had a kit contract. Prior to then it was not the case. How the #$% did no one think about stuff like that for the donkey years we had been playing football ? It took some white dude to force that to our attention.

Here is my summary, once again, our football is a microcosm of our society. From poor funding to corruption to brain drain amongst many other factors, we do not have the environment to allow for growth and for things to thrive.

You put out the product of such a system against that of a functional system, why are we acting surprised about the outcome?

I’m just going to put an observation out here. I speak as a Nigerian and I bet you this probably applies to most African peoples. We have not shown ourselves to be peoples that apply attention ti details. We have not shown ourselves capable of building and maintaining stuff. Our culture is not one of consistence and doing the simple things right. Look at our roads, our buildings, our institutions. Our football and sports will mirror this stuff.

Football and sports generally are meant to be fun but you and I know this stuff is so much more bigger than amateur hour. It is a financial and economic thing.
Thank you very much for your refreshing, articulate and concise post. You hit the nail on the head. :clap: :clap: :clap: :agree:
well said, we should just accept our fate and get on in life, football is money!, football is big business, football is about organization, any sport where you need organization and discipline, Nigeria will fail woefully, Nigeria as a country is not organised, it is not disciplined, Nigeria as a country loves fire fighting approach to everything, even trying to steal the Nigerians in the diaspora has not helped either, we do things expecting a different result! and we do this 99% of the time! if we are to do well in sports in general, not just football, we need massive investment, we need the infrastructure, long term planning, this is why the likes of Saudi Arabia can beat Argentina, something we have tried since 1994 to no avail, they have a functioning local league, like I said, I will just enjoy the World Cup with or without African teams! let us watch and enjoy the countries that have invested heavily into football!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

AreaDaddy wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:15 pm Africa occassionlly produces strong football teams Senegal 2002, Nigeria 1994, Ghana 2010, but fundamentally we are not strong footballing nations.

There is a pool of talent, but a chaotic system talent means absolutley nothing. The talent pool is eqivalent to countries having lots of natural resources and still being poor, thats the African Story.

North African countries which generally don't have the same breadth and depth of talent, are better organised. Not well organised but better than anything South of the Sahara with the exception of South Africa, hence dominance on the continent.
Very interesting point. I've been with our SE community for year and also get frustrated because Africa can't perform to its potential. I was hoping for Pele's prediction to come through in our lifetime. Man how that would set football alight if a core group of powerful teams consistently challenge and win WCs from such a big continent. All true football fans want it, especially if is has some jogo bonito, which I think it can.

Maybe in some ways having so much talent, just like natural resources, is a false sense of security? Look at Japan in economics and, ironically enough, football? Japan goes into overdrive to compensate and wins in both.

As many here note, there is a strong enough correlation between being good at football and having a decent economy. Some exceptions of course. Anyways, for what it's worth, Africa needs to overhaul its football...starting with leagues in my opinion...which must be on a foundation of a decent economic proposition for the average African. If a few countries lead, the rest should follow.

Just thinking out loud.

I miss what Nigeria, Cameroon, and Algeria once brought to the WC. So much promise. Looking for it to be fulfilled.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

hestonap wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:54 am Asking citizens of a continent endemic with poverty to put their meagre livelihood on home to go watch matches or trace long distances to go watch matches is unrealistic. That’s just fantasy thinking. It ain’t going to happen.

I do not have the stats but I bet you in the 80s when the economic situation was not as bad, most of our local league matches were probably played at close to full crowd capacity.

I truly believe you can’t divulge our worsening footballing performance as a continent from the general decline in our economic and governance status.

Add in that effect of marketing from the EPL and other foreign leagues and its but a downward spiral.

On a side note in the almost 30 years we debuted at the WC off my head I only remember Yekini and Ahmed Musa as Super Eagles players with prolonged international careers coming back to play briefly in the Nigerian league after a long stays in Europe.

The Japs and the Saudis and the Americans have the economic advantage to attract high profile players in their swansong and have used this as one avenue to boost the profile of their local leagues in the past decades.

Outside the perennial North Africans and Sourh Africa what have most west African/ Subsaharan countries Nigeria in particular done to improve the quality of their leagues.

Bottom line, until we improve ourselves in economic and governance terms, we are at best likely to be nearly men or more frequently just there to complete the numbers. Our football is and will continually be a microcosm of the state of the rest of the society.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Chimurenga Rebel wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:55 pm
hestonap wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:54 am Asking citizens of a continent endemic with poverty to put their meagre livelihood on home to go watch matches or trace long distances to go watch matches is unrealistic. That’s just fantasy thinking. It ain’t going to happen.

I do not have the stats but I bet you in the 80s when the economic situation was not as bad, most of our local league matches were probably played at close to full crowd capacity.

I truly believe you can’t divulge our worsening footballing performance as a continent from the general decline in our economic and governance status.

Add in that effect of marketing from the EPL and other foreign leagues and its but a downward spiral.

On a side note in the almost 30 years we debuted at the WC off my head I only remember Yekini and Ahmed Musa as Super Eagles players with prolonged international careers coming back to play briefly in the Nigerian league after a long stays in Europe.

The Japs and the Saudis and the Americans have the economic advantage to attract high profile players in their swansong and have used this as one avenue to boost the profile of their local leagues in the past decades.

Outside the perennial North Africans and Sourh Africa what have most west African/ Subsaharan countries Nigeria in particular done to improve the quality of their leagues.

Bottom line, until we improve ourselves in economic and governance terms, we are at best likely to be nearly men or more frequently just there to complete the numbers. Our football is and will continually be a microcosm of the state of the rest of the society.
How are you Comrade.
Long time no see, you must be busy with your 1000 herd of cattle back in the bundu :biggrin: :thumbs:
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

benteke wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:03 pm
Chimurenga Rebel wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:55 pm

How are you Comrade.
Long time no see, you must be busy with your 1000 herd of cattle back in the bundu :biggrin: :thumbs:
Still in Babylon. Merseyside to be precise.👊🏾👊🏾👊🏾👊🏾
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I have constantly said kongi, is not intelligent at all. This dude is nothing but a motor park conductor. He was fortunate to claim asylum by telling lies , so he can now punish all of us via the internet ( he never dreamed off ever using )

Every time he opens a pathetic and brain dead topic..just look at the daft thread he opened. Watch the waste of space go silent and then pop is cursed head after a few loses . I wish he can get the heck out of CE...he offers nothing
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
AndroMeda
Egg
Egg

Post by AndroMeda »

Africa still relies heavily on natural talent when in other jurisdictions natural talent is only the minimum requirement.
Most African players can play football but they don't understand the game they play at a high level.

Our FA's must invest in proper youth development and stop collecting random players every couple years for instant gratification. For a lot of the teams playing in the world cup if you didn't go through their youth development programs it's almost impossible to get into the national team.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

AndroMeda wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:27 am Africa still relies heavily on natural talent when in other jurisdictions natural talent is only the minimum requirement.
Most African players can play football but they don't understand the game they play at a high level.

Our FA's must invest in proper youth development and stop collecting random players every couple years for instant gratification. For a lot of the teams playing in the world cup if you didn't go through their youth development programs it's almost impossible to get into the national team.
so much nonsense i don't know where to start.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Nigeria has been taking part in youth competitions since 1985 so by now it should be up to par with other footballing nations in terms of development, the only advantage western societies have over developing nations is finance related, ability to send kids to football schools from an early age, yes the African and South American kid plays on the streets and have the skill factor earlier than European kids but as they grow older, the European kid picks up the finer aspect of football which sadly they do not teach in Nigeria, from nutrition, to fitness, we will just continue to play catch up, without investment in sports in general, we are going nowhere
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

This is a very daft thread. My goodness we are in 2022, reading such racist BS...next thing we will hear the word naive
SuperEagles

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:45 am This is a very daft thread. My goodness we are in 2022, reading such racist BS...next thing we will hear the word naive
well go watch the cameroon game! you will see the deficiencies glaring!

Marko
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:20 pm Saudi beat Argentina
Japan beats Germany
It took 5 games for 5 African teams to score 2 goals.

Whatever we’re doing ain’t working. All football federations have now overtaken Africa. CAF is now the lowest of continental federations. Since Cameroun shocked the world in Italia 90 , there’s been no improvement, particularly in black Africa.

It's not even debatable

We are kak at football. But many are blinded by patriotism

Speed and power and no end product :rotf:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
AndroMeda
Egg
Egg

Post by AndroMeda »

A friend of mine coaches the youth team of one of the MLS teams so i had the privilege of visiting their facility a few times. Bros, the number of kids they have training at such a magnificent facility makes me wonder if Africa can ever compete with them anymore.

Youth development is the way to go.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

marko wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:51 am
Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:45 am This is a very daft thread. My goodness we are in 2022, reading such racist BS...next thing we will hear the word naive
well go watch the cameroon game! you will see the deficiencies glaring!
yes Naive to lose 2 goals just before half time!

Marko
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

We are good at football and we have good footballers that is not in doubt. Being good at something does not mean you will be successful at it and that's where the problem lies.

Success is often a bottom up approach, but we chase success in most African teams with top down approach, i.e. If you can find a few elite players, either born and bred or with ancestry, hire a foriegn coach then you are done.

But all the other 1, 2% advantages that come from organisation, research into nutrition, recovery times, tournament logisitcs, pyschology, etc all come froma a bottom up approach are missed.

And those 1%, 2% added advantages begin to build up.

We all know from our childhood that the smartest guys in the class very rarely end up being the most successful, same with football.
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
AndroMeda
Egg
Egg

Post by AndroMeda »

It's shocking that all 3 sub-saharan teams struggle with maintaining their defensive shape at various points in a game. We expect a coach to teach this at tournaments when in actuality players should already know this at this level.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

AndroMeda wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:21 pm It's shocking that all 3 sub-saharan teams struggle with maintaining their defensive shape at various points in a game. We expect a coach to teach this at tournaments when in actuality players should already know this at this level.
Oh, you aren't using Africa again. You have now chosen to use the term Sub-sahara. What a pathetic and confused being
SuperEagles

AndroMeda
Egg
Egg

Post by AndroMeda »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:25 pm
AndroMeda wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:21 pm It's shocking that all 3 sub-saharan teams struggle with maintaining their defensive shape at various points in a game. We expect a coach to teach this at tournaments when in actuality players should already know this at this level.
Oh, you aren't using Africa again. You have now chosen to use the term Sub-sahara. What a pathetic and confused being
I am new to this forum but after about a day being here i noticed quickly that you are the class clown.
Anyways, read what i have been saying carefully. You will realize that i made a broader comment at a point and my broader point still stands. My last comment was very specific, I am referring the amateurish defending i am watching seeing from our sub-saharan teams. But i don't expect you to understand any of that, honestly.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

AndroMeda wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:34 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:25 pm
I am new to this forum but after about a day being here i noticed quickly that you are the class clown.
Anyways, read what i have been saying carefully. You will realize that i made a broader comment at a point and my broader point still stands. My last comment was very specific, I am referring the amateurish defending i am watching seeing from our sub-saharan teams. But i don't expect you to understand any of that, honestly.
Go suck on a lemon, didn't read your long boring post. It's 3 -3 ...are you going to comment on the defending by Europe? ..smh..only to beat up on the Africans?
SuperEagles

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

we have a long way to go, we cannot play Brazil with this defence

Marko
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

marko wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:38 pm we have a long way to go, we cannot play Brazil with this defence
Cameroon has a unique problem that I can't quite figure out. It appears they are fragile and unpredictable. They went from playing like a bunch of clueless players to top notch football in a minute. We also saw a similar pattern at Afcon when they went from fans to zero within a game.

It's not looking good vs Brazil but I wouldn't surprised if Cameroon wins.
OCCUPY NFF!!