Africa is not good at football

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mate
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Africa is not good at football

Post by mate »

marko wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:26 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:41 pm how naïve are the Asians?
are they??

So far, the only team I can say is naive has been Canada against Croatia. They kept attacking while leaving their midfield open...refusing to sub slower veterans. Paid big time in spite of going up 1-0.

Honestly, no other team I've seen has been naive. It has come down to just not being better on the day. I haven't seen a game where tactics egregiously were the factor.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

hestonap wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:54 am Asking citizens of a continent endemic with poverty to put their meagre livelihood on home to go watch matches or trace long distances to go watch matches is unrealistic. That’s just fantasy thinking. It ain’t going to happen.

I do not have the stats but I bet you in the 80s when the economic situation was not as bad, most of our local league matches were probably played at close to full crowd capacity.

I truly believe you can’t divulge our worsening footballing performance as a continent from the general decline in our economic and governance status.

Add in that effect of marketing from the EPL and other foreign leagues and its but a downward spiral.

On a side note in the almost 30 years we debuted at the WC off my head I only remember Yekini and Ahmed Musa as Super Eagles players with prolonged international careers coming back to play briefly in the Nigerian league after a long stays in Europe.

The Japs and the Saudis and the Americans have the economic advantage to attract high profile players in their swansong and have used this as one avenue to boost the profile of their local leagues in the past decades.

Outside the perennial North Africans and Sourh Africa what have most west African/ Subsaharan countries Nigeria in particular done to improve the quality of their leagues.

Bottom line, until we improve ourselves in economic and governance terms, we are at best likely to be nearly men or more frequently just there to complete the numbers. Our football is and will continually be a microcosm of the state of the rest of the society.
Disagree on money being the issue for why we can't have a sizeable showing in the stands are major competitions. Nigerians are not poorer than Brazillians. The average mexican cannot afford to travel outside their country. The highest paid ones amongst them live comfortably in their country, own decent property but have little left to go on vacations outside their country. Brazillians and Mexicans still pack stadiums around the world. I wish India, Phillipines, Pakistan, Indonesia etc could qualify for the WC to dismiss money as an issue. Nigerians, especially diaspora Nigerians have more earning potential comparatively with other diaspora from any other country. Wouldn't be surprised if Nigerians are occupying the most expensive seats in Qatar stadiums and the most expensive rooms in their hotels.

Per issue, there is a lack of pride. Nigerians don't spend money on experiences like "experiencing Nigerian at the WC". There is a documentation issue, having a nigerian passport makes hopping countries more difficult. Product quality may also be an issue, Nigerians may be more willing to show up if our team were as good as Brazil, Argentina etc.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:20 pm Saudi beat Argentina
Japan beats Germany
It took 5 games for 5 African teams to score 2 goals.

Whatever we’re doing ain’t working. All football federations have now overtaken Africa. CAF is now the lowest of continental federations. Since Cameroun shocked the world in Italia 90 , there’s been no improvement, particularly in black Africa.
Do you ever pause to read what you write? Somehow, I doubt that very much❗️

Cheers.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:40 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:20 pm Saudi beat Argentina
Japan beats Germany
It took 5 games for 5 African teams to score 2 goals.

Whatever we’re doing ain’t working. All football federations have now overtaken Africa. CAF is now the lowest of continental federations. Since Cameroun shocked the world in Italia 90 , there’s been no improvement, particularly in black Africa.
Do you ever pause to read what you write? Somehow, I doubt that very much❗️

Cheers.
Don’t get over excited over 1 or 2 games. Africa may have 1 or 2 teams that can compete at the WC level but they have limitations. 54 countries, 5 spots and 1 or teams make an impression on effort. Naw bro, we ain’t where we supposed to be.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

3 wins in a row for CAF teams
Won 4 of their last 5 matches
Haven’t lost in 6 of their last 7 matches
Donzman
Egg
Egg

Post by Donzman »

Synopsis wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:26 pm 3 wins in a row for CAF teams
They will not see this until the next African team loses.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Donzman wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:21 pm
They will not see this until the next African team loses.
I'm very happy for them. But many of the points outlined above are true.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Proof that we have Africa's BEST at the world cup.
This is our best showing ever
Kudos to CAF!!!!
Shame!!!!!! on the 95% of CE folks, who said Africa will not make an impact
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
mblack76
Egg
Egg

Post by mblack76 »

Been really refreshing to see...till Cameroon plays tomorrow. Ugh! :evil:
“I can play with people’s emotions when I want to make an impact. It’s one way to get the best out of people.” Jose Mourinho (March 08, 2005)
"Again Mblack, I have no beef with you as I actually respect you a lot." SAwosika (May 14, 2005)
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

mblack76 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:01 pm
Once in a while Cameroun brings its A game, if they do they'll get a result but might still go home.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:06 pm
Once in a while Cameroun brings its A game, if they do they'll get a result but might still go home.
Cameroun will beat Brazil because the south Americans don't need a win and don't want injured players.
They need all their players for their game against Ghana
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
mblack
Egg
Egg

Post by mblack »

Rawlings wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:08 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:06 pm
Cameroun will beat Brazil because the south Americans don't need a win and don't want injured players.
They need all their players for their game against Ghana
You are giving Song too much credit. Unless you mean the players will just do it by themselves 🤭
Bring your life style to me I'll make it better. Murder Was The Case. Snoop Dogg, DoggStyle Nov 23, 1993
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

felarey wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:00 pm
hestonap wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:54 am Asking citizens of a continent endemic with poverty to put their meagre livelihood on home to go watch matches or trace long distances to go watch matches is unrealistic. That’s just fantasy thinking. It ain’t going to happen.

I do not have the stats but I bet you in the 80s when the economic situation was not as bad, most of our local league matches were probably played at close to full crowd capacity.

I truly believe you can’t divulge our worsening footballing performance as a continent from the general decline in our economic and governance status.

Add in that effect of marketing from the EPL and other foreign leagues and its but a downward spiral.

On a side note in the almost 30 years we debuted at the WC off my head I only remember Yekini and Ahmed Musa as Super Eagles players with prolonged international careers coming back to play briefly in the Nigerian league after a long stays in Europe.

The Japs and the Saudis and the Americans have the economic advantage to attract high profile players in their swansong and have used this as one avenue to boost the profile of their local leagues in the past decades.

Outside the perennial North Africans and Sourh Africa what have most west African/ Subsaharan countries Nigeria in particular done to improve the quality of their leagues.

Bottom line, until we improve ourselves in economic and governance terms, we are at best likely to be nearly men or more frequently just there to complete the numbers. Our football is and will continually be a microcosm of the state of the rest of the society.
Disagree on money being the issue for why we can't have a sizeable showing in the stands are major competitions. Nigerians are not poorer than Brazillians. The average mexican cannot afford to travel outside their country. The highest paid ones amongst them live comfortably in their country, own decent property but have little left to go on vacations outside their country. Brazillians and Mexicans still pack stadiums around the world. I wish India, Phillipines, Pakistan, Indonesia etc could qualify for the WC to dismiss money as an issue. Nigerians, especially diaspora Nigerians have more earning potential comparatively with other diaspora from any other country. Wouldn't be surprised if Nigerians are occupying the most expensive seats in Qatar stadiums and the most expensive rooms in their hotels.

Per issue, there is a lack of pride. Nigerians don't spend money on experiences like "experiencing Nigerian at the WC". There is a documentation issue, having a nigerian passport makes hopping countries more difficult. Product quality may also be an issue, Nigerians may be more willing to show up if our team were as good as Brazil, Argentina etc.
I am afraid I’ll have to disagree with you. By every measurable economic index, Nigeria is a poorer country than Brazil and Mexico, Be it GDP, GDP per capita or whatever measure of poverty that Is used. Our population is barely 3 million lower than Brazil’s yet their GDP per capita is more than 3 times higher than ours. Their GDP is almost at a similar magnitude than ours. Nigeria’s poverty rate is almost double Brazil’s. Our poverty count by head ratio is multiple fold Brazil’s. We perform even comparatively worse to the Mexicans using those same indices.

One can safely extrapolate that the average Brazilian and Mexican living in their respective countries have a significantly greater disposable income than the average Nigerian. Can only begin to dream of.

So the facts do not line up with your statement the the average Nigerian is not poorer than the average Brazilian. We pretty much are.

If it comes to footballing heritage and by extension the attractiveness of our football product, we are not in their league. The Mexicans had hosted 2 world cups before we dreamt of making our debuts. They have had more World Cup attendances and finished further in the competition than we have.

By all indications both are better footballing nations than we are.

In terms of Nigeria in diaspora, those in the US earn significantly above the nations median income. Nigerians significantly over perform in economic terms compared to many groups in the states. They are however not representative of the average Nigerians living in Nigeria.

While I do not have the available statistics, one can safely surmise that the vast majority of Nigerian fans you see attending World Cup matches are more likely to be of the diaspora hue than those who live within Nigeria.

I whole heartedly agree with you about the documentation issue. On an earlier comment on this thread, I highlighted the challenges of travelling within Africa to watch matches using the terrible logistics of the recent AFCON in Cameroon and how difficult it was for folks to go from Nigeria to Cameroon even though we are neighbouring countries. Think about the financial and logistical nightmare it would be for other African fans in comparatively remote countries to attempt to navigate between nations. Add in the challenge of using African passports between African countries. We are not terribly nice to ourselves.

As per pride, here is a snippet from my earlier comment….There was a time when we had properly run clubs in this country and folks turned out to watch them on the field. I remember as a kid and teenager watching a number of the previously named challenge cup finals on TV and seeing jam packed stadia. Nigerians have shown in the past that they are and were willing to support their local clubs. So pray, what changed ?

We speak as if Nigerian fans woke up one day and decided na, we are done with our local football.

Like most things that crumble, they observed a league that was being decided at the boardrooms. They saw rubbish football pitches that the powers that be refused to improve upon. They also saw an alternative that was evidently superior.

The onus is on the provider of the goods to create a product that is attractive. Don't blame the customer for voting with his feet or in this case pocket. Show him why you deserve his money and empty patriotic rhetoric will not cut it.

If from the Admin level you observed yourself going down from Ikhazaboh to Amos Adamu and end up with Pinnick. You go from a Westerhof to even greater journey men like gworo eating Rohr. You watch your national team go from fielding gladiators like the Keshi’s, Okechukwu’s, to seeing in defence to seeing a 2 left-legged clowns like Ekong (God bless him, can’t fault him for his enthusiasm but he has never ben national team material in my humble opinion) amongst others donning that illustrious jersey, it’s rather asking too much of folks to spend their hard earned cash trooping around our teams, people will vote with their pockets. They will rather stay at home at watch than use their hard earned resources to import and but misery upon themselves.

Anyway, make we continue to enjoy the WC and support our African teams including hesitant support for the bredas. Hopefully we will get our act together and partake in the big dance again with the aim of a creditable showing.
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

hestonap wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:12 am
felarey wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:00 pm

I am afraid I’ll have to disagree with you. By every measurable economic index, Nigeria is a poorer country than Brazil and Mexico, Be it GDP, GDP per capita or whatever measure of poverty that Is used. Our population is barely 3 million lower than Brazil’s yet their GDP per capita is more than 3 times higher than ours. Their GDP is almost at a similar magnitude than ours. Nigeria’s poverty rate is almost double Brazil’s. Our poverty count by head ratio is multiple fold Brazil’s. We perform even comparatively worse to the Mexicans using those same indices.

One can safely extrapolate that the average Brazilian and Mexican living in their respective countries have a significantly greater disposable income than the average Nigerian. Can only begin to dream of.

So the facts do not line up with your statement the the average Nigerian is not poorer than the average Brazilian. We pretty much are.

If it comes to footballing heritage and by extension the attractiveness of our football product, we are not in their league. The Mexicans had hosted 2 world cups before we dreamt of making our debuts. They have had more World Cup attendances and finished further in the competition than we have.

By all indications both are better footballing nations than we are.

In terms of Nigeria in diaspora, those in the US earn significantly above the nations median income. Nigerians significantly over perform in economic terms compared to many groups in the states. They are however not representative of the average Nigerians living in Nigeria.

While I do not have the available statistics, one can safely surmise that the vast majority of Nigerian fans you see attending World Cup matches are more likely to be of the diaspora hue than those who live within Nigeria.

I whole heartedly agree with you about the documentation issue. On an earlier comment on this thread, I highlighted the challenges of travelling within Africa to watch matches using the terrible logistics of the recent AFCON in Cameroon and how difficult it was for folks to go from Nigeria to Cameroon even though we are neighbouring countries. Think about the financial and logistical nightmare it would be for other African fans in comparatively remote countries to attempt to navigate between nations. Add in the challenge of using African passports between African countries. We are not terribly nice to ourselves.

As per pride, here is a snippet from my earlier comment….There was a time when we had properly run clubs in this country and folks turned out to watch them on the field. I remember as a kid and teenager watching a number of the previously named challenge cup finals on TV and seeing jam packed stadia. Nigerians have shown in the past that they are and were willing to support their local clubs. So pray, what changed ?

We speak as if Nigerian fans woke up one day and decided na, we are done with our local football.

Like most things that crumble, they observed a league that was being decided at the boardrooms. They saw rubbish football pitches that the powers that be refused to improve upon. They also saw an alternative that was evidently superior.

The onus is on the provider of the goods to create a product that is attractive. Don't blame the customer for voting with his feet or in this case pocket. Show him why you deserve his money and empty patriotic rhetoric will not cut it.

If from the Admin level you observed yourself going down from Ikhazaboh to Amos Adamu and end up with Pinnick. You go from a Westerhof to even greater journey men like gworo eating Rohr. You watch your national team go from fielding gladiators like the Keshi’s, Okechukwu’s, to seeing in defence to seeing a 2 left-legged clowns like Ekong (God bless him, can’t fault him for his enthusiasm but he has never ben national team material in my humble opinion) amongst others donning that illustrious jersey, it’s rather asking too much of folks to spend their hard earned cash trooping around our teams, people will vote with their pockets. They will rather stay at home at watch than use their hard earned resources to import and but misery upon themselves.

Anyway, make we continue to enjoy the WC and support our African teams including hesitant support for the bredas. Hopefully we will get our act together and partake in the big dance again with the aim of a creditable showing.
Hestonap, watching the SE in a stadium is expensive entertainment and not a cheap thrill. It's definitely not affordable for everyone in Nigeria, Mexico nor Brazil. We would be missing the point when talking affordability if we include the poor kid in Ogbomosho in our analysis. We simply can't use an all encompassing stat for comparison. For instance, we know atleast at one time during GEJ's govt that nigerians occupied a disparate proportion of private jet owners. It would be right to say brazillians don't use more private jets than nigerians.

In terms of filling a stadium, I do not believe brazillians nor mexicans do better because they have higher GDP stats. We can easily put 5k nigerians in a WC stadium without money issues. We don't, and thats due to several factors we both agree on, but I don't believe money is one of them. There aren't more brazillians that can afford WC entertainment than Nigerians in this world.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Here is the thought of Former Cameroon goalkeeper Joseph-Antoine Bell on African Football and World Cup 2022

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/sports/articl ... 649_9.html

World Cup 2022: 'The problem with African football is the leaders'

Former Cameroon goalkeeper Joseph-Antoine Bell takes a hard look at the lack of football development on the continent and advocates for a uniquely African model.

By Anthony Hernandez
Published on November 25, 2022 at 18h00, updated at 18h05 on November 25, 2022

Time to 4 min.

Lire en français

Former Cameroon international goalkeeper Joseph-Antoine Bell speaks at a press conference in Cape Town, South Africa, on December 4, 2009.
Former Cameroon international goalkeeper Joseph-Antoine Bell speaks at a press conference in Cape Town, South Africa, on December 4, 2009. ALEXANDER JOE / AFP

Legendary former goalkeeper of Olympique de Marseille and Girondins de Bordeaux Joseph-Antoine Bell made 70 appearances with the Cameroonian national team (1976-1994). And he was part of the epic Indomitable Lions team during the 1990 World Cup. At 68 years old, he offers his analysis of African football and advocates for the creation of a unique continental model.

It is easier to talk about African football as a whole than about European football. But of course, there is no such thing as a single African football entity. Does this generalization annoy you?

We also use the general term "European football" without anyone getting upset. We know that Germans are Germans, English are English, etc. Although defenders of Africa tend to get irritated too easily on this issue, it is also true that sometimes when Europeans say "Africans," it is not in the same sense as when they say "Europeans." I remember when I was young, a French journalist used to talk to me about my "Senegalese compatriot." Is it only Africans who constitute a continent and who are brothers among themselves?

Beyond this generalization, we must look at each team, which only represents itself. There is a kind of weakness mentality. If Africans do not win the World Cup, but Cameroon reaches the quarter-finals, the whole continent will celebrate.

How do you explain that no African team has ever made it past the quarter-finals?

We Africans sometimes have a tendency for navel-gazing in the sense that we forget that people also play football in Asia and North America. We are convinced that we are all alone with the Europeans, where our players go to play. Cameroon, for example, has remained fixated on its quarter-final [during the 1990 World Cup]. Yes, we were the first, but since then, we have gone out in the first round five times. Others have done better: South Korea reached the semi-finals. We need a revamp in order to go further.

Our judgment of our teams is also affected by the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON). After the World Cup, the next competition is AFCON. It's like having a hurdle race and then a flat race. You think, "I've improved." But that's because you're playing weaker teams. In Europe after the World Cup, even if you can play a weak team, like Luxembourg, you can also play against teams that are in the top 10 or top 20 in the world.

However, more and more great African players play in the best European clubs.

It's an elite level that doesn't necessarily allow you to compete. It is not athletics where the Nigerian who runs his 100 meters in 9.90 seconds and who trains in the United States will still run it in 9.90 seconds when he puts on the Nigerian jersey. Maybe because colonization traumatized us a little bit, we like it when Europeans say, "Ah but Africa has great players, Africa is going to win the World Cup soon."

Except that it's not a player who wins, it's a team. All this does not guarantee that without imagination, a method and a foundation, you can make a team that competes with the best. Because while Africans have a few star players in European leagues, Europeans have entire leagues. This should make us put our ambitions into perspective.

In your opinion, what are the main deficiencies?

A national team is a real team: There are the players, the medical staff, the administrative staff and even the political staff of the country as well as the fans. All these "ingredients" count a lot in the conception and ultimate realization of a victory.

Football is like the society in which it is played. It is not by inviting some boys who live abroad to come and wear the colors of the country that we will improve the level of the game. It helps a little, but success depends on the quality of the country's politics, which helps football in accordance with its overall policies. If you don't know how to help health or schools, I don't think you know how to help football.

Is there a governance problem?

Football ends with the players and begins with the leaders. The problem with African football is the leaders. Those in charge of football are people who come from the society. And when the society does not function on a healthy basis, how can sport be any different?

Should African football develop its young talents locally?

There is a tendency in Africa to believe that our football is limited to our national teams. The national team should only be the showcase. We must enable as many people as possible to play for fun: Do local clubs play in good conditions?

People have created academies for young footballers, whether in Senegal, Cameroon or Côte d'Ivoire, where the governments have done nothing. But these organizations are mainly made for money and are not sufficient in themselves.

Many federations have opted to develop a policy of binational players, born and trained in Europe. What do you think about this?

Even without mentioning the binationals, our national teams are also composed of players who went abroad at the age of 15, 16 or 17. They are sometimes more a foreign footballer than a footballer of the country whose passport they hold.

Some internationals – fewer and fewer – play for national clubs. In North Africa, in Morocco and Tunisia in particular, the leagues are more structured than elsewhere. But like us, they move forward 3 meters during the day and backward 2 meters at night. They had policies that worked and they are now sacrificing them in the search for immediate results. When you can go rummaging around Europe to strengthen the team with Franco-Tunisians or Dutch-Moroccans, for example, it's easy. We don't work as locally anymore to prevent this situation from becoming commonplace.

Could African football build its own model?

African leaders should not wait for an external solution. Professionalism cannot be decreed. You can't order someone who has a small neighborhood shop to have a supermarket all of a sudden. Africa is waiting for help, but the concept has to come from us. If it comes from abroad, the solution will not correspond to our real situation and needs. Let's make our own way!
Read more Subscribers only World Cup 2022: Qatar puts its faith in homegrown talent

Anthony Hernandez

Translation of an original article published in French on lemonde.fr; the publisher may only be liable for the French version.

Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

Toxicarrow wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:36 am Here is the thought of Former Cameroon goalkeeper Joseph-Antoine Bell on African Football and World Cup 2022

Former Cameroon goalkeeper Joseph-Antoine Bell takes a hard look at the lack of football development on the continent and advocates for a uniquely African model.

By Anthony Hernandez

Time to 4 min.

Lire en français

Former Cameroon international goalkeeper Joseph-Antoine Bell speaks at a press conference in Cape Town, South Africa, on December 4, 2009.
Former Cameroon international goalkeeper Joseph-Antoine Bell speaks at a press conference in Cape Town, South Africa, on December 4, 2009. ALEXANDER JOE / AFP

Legendary former goalkeeper of Olympique de Marseille and Girondins de Bordeaux Joseph-Antoine Bell made 70 appearances with the Cameroonian national team (1976-1994). And he was part of the epic Indomitable Lions team during the 1990 World Cup. At 68 years old, he offers his analysis of African football and advocates for the creation of a unique continental model.

It is easier to talk about African football as a whole than about European football. But of course, there is no such thing as a single African football entity. Does this generalization annoy you?

We also use the general term "European football" without anyone getting upset. We know that Germans are Germans, English are English, etc. Although defenders of Africa tend to get irritated too easily on this issue, it is also true that sometimes when Europeans say "Africans," it is not in the same sense as when they say "Europeans." I remember when I was young, a French journalist used to talk to me about my "Senegalese compatriot." Is it only Africans who constitute a continent and who are brothers among themselves?

Beyond this generalization, we must look at each team, which only represents itself. There is a kind of weakness mentality. If Africans do not win the World Cup, but Cameroon reaches the quarter-finals, the whole continent will celebrate.

How do you explain that no African team has ever made it past the quarter-finals?

We Africans sometimes have a tendency for navel-gazing in the sense that we forget that people also play football in Asia and North America. We are convinced that we are all alone with the Europeans, where our players go to play. Cameroon, for example, has remained fixated on its quarter-final [during the 1990 World Cup]. Yes, we were the first, but since then, we have gone out in the first round five times. Others have done better: South Korea reached the semi-finals. We need a revamp in order to go further.

Our judgment of our teams is also affected by the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON). After the World Cup, the next competition is AFCON. It's like having a hurdle race and then a flat race. You think, "I've improved." But that's because you're playing weaker teams. In Europe after the World Cup, even if you can play a weak team, like Luxembourg, you can also play against teams that are in the top 10 or top 20 in the world.

It's an elite level that doesn't necessarily allow you to compete. It is not athletics where the Nigerian who runs his 100 meters in 9.90 seconds and who trains in the United States will still run it in 9.90 seconds when he puts on the Nigerian jersey. Maybe because colonization traumatized us a little bit, we like it when Europeans say, "Ah but Africa has great players, Africa is going to win the World Cup soon."

Except that it's not a player who wins, it's a team. All this does not guarantee that without imagination, a method and a foundation, you can make a team that competes with the best. Because while Africans have a few star players in European leagues, Europeans have entire leagues. This should make us put our ambitions into perspective.

A national team is a real team: There are the players, the medical staff, the administrative staff and even the political staff of the country as well as the fans. All these "ingredients" count a lot in the conception and ultimate realization of a victory.

Football is like the society in which it is played. It is not by inviting some boys who live abroad to come and wear the colors of the country that we will improve the level of the game. It helps a little, but success depends on the quality of the country's politics, which helps football in accordance with its overall policies. If you don't know how to help health or schools, I don't think you know how to help football.

Football ends with the players and begins with the leaders. The problem with African football is the leaders. Those in charge of football are people who come from the society. And when the society does not function on a healthy basis, how can sport be any different?

There is a tendency in Africa to believe that our football is limited to our national teams. The national team should only be the showcase. We must enable as many people as possible to play for fun: Do local clubs play in good conditions?

People have created academies for young footballers, whether in Senegal, Cameroon or Côte d'Ivoire, where the governments have done nothing. But these organizations are mainly made for money and are not sufficient in themselves.

Many federations have opted to develop a policy of binational players, born and trained in Europe. What do you think about this?

Even without mentioning the binationals, our national teams are also composed of players who went abroad at the age of 15, 16 or 17. They are sometimes more a foreign footballer than a footballer of the country whose passport they hold.

Some internationals – fewer and fewer – play for national clubs. In North Africa, in Morocco and Tunisia in particular, the leagues are more structured than elsewhere. But like us, they move forward 3 meters during the day and backward 2 meters at night. They had policies that worked and they are now sacrificing them in the search for immediate results. When you can go rummaging around Europe to strengthen the team with Franco-Tunisians or Dutch-Moroccans, for example, it's easy. We don't work as locally anymore to prevent this situation from becoming commonplace.

African leaders should not wait for an external solution. Professionalism cannot be decreed. You can't order someone who has a small neighborhood shop to have a supermarket all of a sudden. Africa is waiting for help, but the concept has to come from us. If it comes from abroad, the solution will not correspond to our real situation and needs. Let's make our own way!
Read more Subscribers only World Cup 2022: Qatar puts its faith in homegrown talent

Anthony Hernandez

Translation of an original article published in French on lemonde.fr; the publisher may only be liable for the French version.

It is not just the leaders. In the cameroonian team that beat Brazil, 6 players were binationals. They seem to be more humble than the players who were raised and learn the game in Cameroon. For example players like Ngadeu,Onana, and even Zambo Anguissa have been arrogant at times. It seems that when they play for big teams in Europe, they come with arrogance to the national team. Playing for the national team appears like a favour to us. Bell himself had an attitude in 1990 that led the manager to put him on the bench.
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

This would be a good point to double down on this thesis. Senegal Vs. England, Morocco Vs. Spain. The odds are not in favor of the Africans.
Advocating rational thought since 1987
smallpikin
Egg
Egg

Post by smallpikin »

We are harvesting where we did no sew. And when the harvest is not bountiful, not us typically, we as Africans do what we do best — complain. We cannot continue to expect things from zero input.
"If you aren't keeping the score
you're only practising". Hugh Collum, Finance Director, SmithKline Beecham.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Toxicarrow wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:36 am Here is the thought of Former Cameroon goalkeeper Joseph-Antoine Bell on African Football and World Cup 2022

By Anthony Hernandez

Time to 4 min.

Lire en français

Anthony Hernandez

I totally disagree. Yes leaders are inept but the players simply aren't good enough
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Comrade Machel wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:13 pm

By Anthony Hernandez

Time to 4 min.

Lire en français

Anthony Hernandez

I totally disagree. Yes leaders are inept but the players simply aren't good enough
Good players can't come from a bad system

Wha choo looking at?!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Senegal is down 3-0 as I type but I heard the commentators say that Senegal is the only African team to ever defeat a Euro team in the WC knockout stage. True?
OCCUPY NFF!!
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

I blame Nigeria stupid sports administrators! they should be at this world cup!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

:rotf: :rotf:
Africa is just sheet at football. End of story
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q