European Teams at the World cup 2022

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wazobia
Egg
Egg
Re: European Teams at the World cup 2022

Post by wazobia »

The top African and Asian teams can compete with the the European and South American teams once you exclude the top 5 or 6 European teams and Brazil/Argentina. Unfortunately the dominance of these 8 teams or so is used to justify the places allocated to European and South American teams. The 48 team format will offer African and Asians teams opportunities to progress to the latter stages, even if from a statistical standpoint alone. We might not yet see much progress in 2026 but it will surely come with more slots.
WOWO = ONO (oh no!) = OBO

WOWO 'We only want Oyinbo'

ONO 'Oyinbo na Oyinbo'

OBO 'Oyinbo be Oyinbo'
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Contrary to the initial handbagging in round 1, this has been Africa's best performing World cup
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

wazobia wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:31 pm The top African and Asian teams can compete with the the European and South American teams once you exclude the top 5 or 6 European teams and Brazil/Argentina. Unfortunately the dominance of these 8 teams or so is used to justify the places allocated to European and South American teams. The 48 team format will offer African and Asians teams opportunities to progress to the latter stages, even if from a statistical standpoint alone. We might not yet see much progress in 2026 but it will surely come with more slots.
48 teams is terrible. 16 groups of 3 teams? So many flaws:

* you get only 2 games.
* easy for 2 teams to collude.
* sorry you will get some terrible teams that will be waxed and not benefit in any way.

FIFA is effectively killing the WC. Believe me, I am no Europhile, but I hope UEFA quits FIFA, focusing on the European Championship, maybe inviting some top non-European teams. FIFA just wants the $$$...as fans will come and pay even if their teams are not good.

As to Africa, the challenge is indeed to produce 5-6 top teams. Winning more representation ideally from a 32 team tournament. Same with all the federations. Make it a true competition of the best...not a participation weighted tournament.

Just my 2 cents.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

So how will this look like
3 teams of 16 groups, then winner goes to round of 16? or another 4 groups of 4 then 2 for QF etc

I agree this is a nightmare but lets see
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

akamoke wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:53 pm So how will this look like
3 teams of 16 groups, then winner goes to round of 16? or another 4 groups of 4 then 2 for QF etc

Found it

The 48 qualified teams will be split into 16 groups of three
Each team will play two group stage games (down one from three)
The 1st- and 2nd-place finishers in each group to the round of 32
An extra knockout round, the Round of 32, will be created
The knockout round will then continue from the Round of 16 a la previous World Cups
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

akamoke wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:56 pm

Found it

The knockout round will then continue from the Round of 16 a la previous World Cups

Hmm, this is news to me.

:o

It actually helps if true...but you still get the specter of collusion and only playing 2 games for the loser of the group.

It still sucks. Will water down what was once a great event. I still think keep it to 32 and let teams evolve to justify a total expansion...giving more slots to non-European teams as other federations improve.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Wazobia, who are the top African teams? Was it not the King of All Africa that was used as loin cloth by a recently relegated to Nations League B, no continental title since ‘66, England. Fifth in the very same rankings that have Belgium second, it’s safe to say, neither is as the table reads.

The chest beating hubris born of Morocco’s mastery of Allardycian theory is inexplicably going west without a Pet Shop Boy in sight. All the trickery of Voldemort and a varifocaled Harry Potter couldn’t conjure the soaring Super Eagles mirage somehow born of, wait for it, Moroccan endeavour in Qatar. Could the two be anymore Ying and Yang if they were folded into comma-like shapes and painted black and white respectively.

There’s absolutely nothing about what Morocco have achieved that extrapolates to the inglorious big for nothing. No, Morocco do not have the quintessentially “particular type” of African infrastructure, no they don’t effuse the stereotypical pedestrianised, slow coaching, no they don’t endorse the Ponzi scheme approach to hierarchy and governance from the footballing perspective. Yet somehow, in their absolute antonym of the uninvited, is confirmation of the latter’s regality. More “beggin” than Frankie Vialli and the Four Seasons.

Morocco are venturing deep into the belly of the beast, bold and brave, not because they’re African, but because they’re Morocco. If being African brought a cloak of invincibility then the Lions of Terenga, wouldn’t have been ridden rawer than a workhouse wench when the sailors docked.

Morocco by no means are synonymous with all Africa. The continent as a whole has more ground to make to make up than a paddy in a steeplechase. Without the requisite investment, destroy and rebuild, the “uuhmmm” Africa will remain no more than a bucket list fetish, banged good and proper in due course.

That being said, have signed all letters with the prefix Al ever since the fall of Spain. Will add a Waleed before the Amandianeze if they make it past the Brunos.
wazobia
Egg
Egg

Post by wazobia »

Found it

It looks like that might change. They are now talking about 12 groups of 4, with top 2 teams and 8 of the 12 third place teams going through to the round of 32

ONO 'Oyinbo na Oyinbo'

OBO 'Oyinbo be Oyinbo'
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

wazobia wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:21 pm

Found it

It looks like that might change. They are now talking about 12 groups of 4, with top 2 teams and 8 of the 12 third place teams going through to the round of 32
this is so much better.... a minimum 8 CAF teams should make the round of 32..watch use have like 4 teams in the Q-finals
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
wazobia
Egg
Egg

Post by wazobia »

mate wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:38 pm
wazobia wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:31 pm The top African and Asian teams can compete with the the European and South American teams once you exclude the top 5 or 6 European teams and Brazil/Argentina. Unfortunately the dominance of these 8 teams or so is used to justify the places allocated to European and South American teams. The 48 team format will offer African and Asians teams opportunities to progress to the latter stages, even if from a statistical standpoint alone. We might not yet see much progress in 2026 but it will surely come with more slots.

* you get only 2 games.
* sorry you will get some terrible teams that will be waxed and not benefit in any way.

FIFA is effectively killing the WC. Believe me, I am no Europhile, but I hope UEFA quits FIFA, focusing on the European Championship, maybe inviting some top non-European teams. FIFA just wants the $$$...as fans will come and pay even if their teams are not good.

As to Africa, the challenge is indeed to produce 5-6 top teams. Winning more representation ideally from a 32 team tournament. Same with all the federations. Make it a true competition of the best...not a participation weighted tournament.

Just my 2 cents.
Mate, I understand how you feel. There are talks now that they might change to 12 groups of 4 teams with with a second round of 32 teams. While everyone talks about more money for FIFA, which is true, the real issue is: Winning more representation in a 32 team tournament is never going to happen, no matter how well teams perform as it will mean taking away spots from others who will fight tooth and nail to keep those spots. I suspect/hope that we will find at the end of the day that expansion will grow the game and make the World Cup feel more like a global event. I hope UEFA does not throw their toys out of the pram

ONO 'Oyinbo na Oyinbo'

OBO 'Oyinbo be Oyinbo'
wazobia
Egg
Egg

Post by wazobia »

Coach wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:36 pm @Wazobia, who are the top African teams? Was it not the King of All Africa that was used as loin cloth by a recently relegated to Nations League B, no continental title since ‘66, England. Fifth in the very same rankings that have Belgium second, it’s safe to say, neither is as the table reads.

The chest beating hubris born of Morocco’s mastery of Allardycian theory is inexplicably going west without a Pet Shop Boy in sight. All the trickery of Voldemort and a varifocaled Harry Potter couldn’t conjure the soaring Super Eagles mirage somehow born of, wait for it, Moroccan endeavour in Qatar. Could the two be anymore Ying and Yang if they were folded into comma-like shapes and painted black and white respectively.

There’s absolutely nothing about what Morocco have achieved that extrapolates to the inglorious big for nothing. No, Morocco do not have the quintessentially “particular type” of African infrastructure, no they don’t effuse the stereotypical pedestrianised, slow coaching, no they don’t endorse the Ponzi scheme approach to hierarchy and governance from the footballing perspective. Yet somehow, in their absolute antonym of the uninvited, is confirmation of the latter’s regality. More “beggin” than Frankie Vialli and the Four Seasons.

Morocco are venturing deep into the belly of the beast, bold and brave, not because they’re African, but because they’re Morocco. If being African brought a cloak of invincibility then the Lions of Terenga, wouldn’t have been ridden rawer than a workhouse wench when the sailors docked.

Morocco by no means are synonymous with all Africa. The continent as a whole has more ground to make to make up than a paddy in a steeplechase. Without the requisite investment, destroy and rebuild, the “uuhmmm” Africa will remain no more than a bucket list fetish, banged good and proper in due course.

That being said, have signed all letters with the prefix Al ever since the fall of Spain. Will add a Waleed before the Amandianeze if they make it past the Brunos.
I think other African teams will learn from Morocco’s performance; they have to. It is no longer good enough to go dance azonto at the World Cup; the fans now expect more. I think they will get more

ONO 'Oyinbo na Oyinbo'

OBO 'Oyinbo be Oyinbo'
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

wazobia wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:32 pm

* you get only 2 games.

Just my 2 cents.
Mate, I understand how you feel. There are talks now that they might change to 12 groups of 4 teams with with a second round of 32 teams. While everyone talks about more money for FIFA, which is true, the real issue is: Winning more representation in a 32 team tournament is never going to happen, no matter how well teams perform as it will mean taking away spots from others who will fight tooth and nail to keep those spots. I suspect/hope that we will find at the end of the day that expansion will grow the game and make the World Cup feel more like a global event. I hope UEFA does not throw their toys out of the pram

I agree with you in spirt. I want this to work, especially in cultivating football excellence and getting fairer representation. I don't want UEFA to pull out like a a ranting kid...but FIFA has a way of screwing this up, as we are discussing.

The 3 team group for me is a show stopper. I like the idea of 12x4 with 32 next round...although my older brains have to dig in.

:)

BTW: even now, I'd have no issue taking 2 slots from Europe to give to CAF and AFC. Off the top of my head, do Wales and Poland merit over Saudi Arabia, Australia, Tunisia, Mexico (ouch CONCACAF)? Probably not.

I just fear a 48 team tourney won't advance football quality, only participation.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

only one CAF team has Punished Europe big time in world -c up history

Belgium, Spain, Portugal ...chei
SuperEagles

mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:07 pm only one CAF team has Punished Europe big time in world -c up history

Pretty impressive in my book.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

mate wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:17 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:07 pm only one CAF team has Punished Europe big time in world -c up history

and this isn't even the best CAF team
SuperEagles

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:42 pm
mate wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:17 pm

and this isn't even the best CAF team
Who is better than them? Senegal? :laugh:

Wha choo looking at?!
wazobia
Egg
Egg

Post by wazobia »

mate wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:40 pm

* you get only 2 games.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you in spirt. I want this to work, especially in cultivating football excellence and getting fairer representation. I don't want UEFA to pull out like a a ranting kid...but FIFA has a way of screwing this up, as we are discussing.

The 3 team group for me is a show stopper. I like the idea of 12x4 with 32 next round...although my older brains have to dig in.

BTW: even now, I'd have no issue taking 2 slots from Europe to give to CAF and AFC. Off the top of my head, do Wales and Poland merit over Saudi Arabia, Australia, Tunisia, Mexico (ouch CONCACAF)? Probably not.

I just fear a 48 team tourney won't advance football quality, only participation.
Mate, if the powers that be at UEFA thought the same way as you do, we might not have ended up with a 48 team World Cup

ONO 'Oyinbo na Oyinbo'

OBO 'Oyinbo be Oyinbo'
panafrican
Egg
Egg

Post by panafrican »

* you get only 2 games.

Just my 2 cents.

Algeria, Egypt, Nigeria, Cote d'Ivoire have the level to play in a world cup. And they are at home because Africa only have 5 spots for more than 50 countries. A 10% ratio. The ratio for south America is 40%.
The indomitable lions ; Africa's best team ever.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

🤦🏽
Oh dear. This did not age well.
Undertaker wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:08 pm If FIFA still had the World cup at 32 teams, I would have begged them to take two slots away from Africa! We are terrible!

Cameroon, no win since 2002
Tunisia has 2 wins in 6 World Cup appearances
Ghana, the last win was in 2010
Morocco, last win since 1998
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

panafrican wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:33 am

* you get only 2 games.

Just my 2 cents.

Algeria, Egypt, Nigeria, Cote d'Ivoire have the level to play in a world cup. And they are at home because Africa only have 5 spots for more than 50 countries. A 10% ratio. The ratio for south America is 40%.
Add South Africa, Mali and Zambia, at least. The barefaced truth is that even 10 guaranteed places will still be too few for a huge footballing continent like Africa❗️

Cheers.