9 spots in 2026 deserved. 2022 can still be salvaged

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
9 spots in 2026 deserved. 2022 can still be salvaged

Post by truetalk »

Today is a big day for Africa at the World Cup, and if Cameroon and Ghana manage to get victories, the continent might be on the way to a good World Cup.

Many on here are projecting the disappointment of Nigeria's non-qualification and recent poor run with friendlies on the rest of the continent. (More on Nigeria later)

African teams have been exactly what they were expected to be at this World Cup, save for two dissapointing results. Senegal's 0-2 loss to the most average side the Netherlands will ever bring to a World Cup, and Cameroon's listless performance against Switzerland.

Tunisia are exactly what they always are. They can only sit back and soak up pressure and hope to hit on the counter. (except when playing at home, with the aid of gamesmanship). Any attempt to force the action leads to the kinds of results they got against Australia and the group stages of AFCON (0-1 losses to Mali and Gambia)

Ghana need to beat South Korea! No excuses. They are short on talent and were beneficiaries of some dodgy officiating in the African qualifiers against South Africa and Nigeria, but they fought their way to the World Cup, and are representing the continent, so they need to fight their way to a victory over South Korea.
For those who want to say the fraudulent penalty was not why they lost to Portugal (or make the even-stevens case given the manner of their qualification), it was a gift to Portugal in the 2nd half of a game that was decided by one goal. Ghana is also representing the continent now, so we are behind them.

The Indomitable lions must live up to their name. They have done so many times in the past, and you can never count them out. They had no reason to lose to Switzerland, but I will not be surprised in Cameroon get a result against a Brazilian side that is looking like one of the best two teams in this tournament (alongside France).
First comes Serbia though, and the lions must find a way to get the victory today. It is within them, and with Eto'o at the helm of affairs of Fecafoot, this team has been largely shielded from all the admin drama you normally expect with Cameroon (and Nigeria).

Senegal do not play today, but they MUST beat Ecuador on Tuesday. No Mane is no excuse. Aliou Cisse has had all the time in the world to build this team and on paper and in the mind, this should be a comfortable (even if tough) victory. This is the most important match of his career, and his legacy is on the line. He cannot afford another 2018 Japan scenario (a 2-2 draw when they needed the win).

Morocco has always been my favorite North African side. They play like good Nigeria. Positive, fearless and forcing the action. Algeria are like that to a lesser extent. Tunisia are on the other end of the spectrum (Like Rohr's Nigeria). Limited talent, try to stay organised and hit on the counter. Egypt are like this sometimes, but not as bad. It has worked well for Egypt in AFCONs, but not on the global stage or in WCQs.

Back to Morocco, they were unlucky not to beat Croatia, fully deserved to beat Belgium, and I expect them to beat, or get the needed result, against a Canadian side that is playing only for pride.

All things being equal, I expect Morocco and Senegal to be in the 2nd round, and I will never rule the Indomitable lions out, even if they lost the 'easiest' game in the group. I have seen enough from Cameroon against World class team since 1982 not to count them out. Ghana does not have a lot of talent, but they might have enough to get at least 4 points from Korea and Uruguay.

So the continent should get two or three teams in the 2nd round. That would be very impressive.

The contenders for the 9 spots going forward will most likely be the five at this World Cup, CIV, Nigeria, Egypt and Algeria with teams like Zambia, Bafana, DRC and Mali with an outsider's chance.

Definitely as deserving as Wales and Canada.
Last edited by truetalk on Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: 9 spots in 2026 deserved. 2022 can still be salvaged

Post by truetalk »

As for Nigeria, a lot of us are just bitter (or rather drained) by the fact that the ray of hope that flashed at the 1st round of AFCON just earlier this year has vanished, leaving us in a dark tunnel of dispair.

My cold comfort is that Iam somewhat relieved I didn't have to drop everything and head to Qatar for a few weeks.

Nothing about my personal knowledge or interaction with Egu made me think he was the right man for the job, but I was just so glad to be rid of Rohr.

Anyway, the new coach has not put a foot wrong in a competitive game so far, and despite the AFCON 2nd round, WCQ and friendlies, we have a really good team on our hands, with some glaring weaknesses.

Goalkeepers - Okoye is not a National team GK, and will probably never be. Time to move on from him. Uzoho is a backup at best. Three young options, none of whom is playing top flight football can come into the mix, in the hope that one of them, or someone else develops/emerges over the next 2 years. These are Aurthur Okonkwo (Arsenal loanee in Crewe), Joshua Oluwayemi (Portsmouth) and Kayode Bankole (highly rated Remo Stars keeper who might be in Europe soon based on the club's ownership).

The only other glaring weakness is in the Defensive and Central midfield, but with Onyeka and Onyedika, we can be adequate by committee as Ndidi fades into the background. I haven't seen Yusuf Alhassan, but there is some hype about him.

Other than that the team is solid everywhere else. An Osimhen/Moffi partnership will probably be a top-5 forward line in this World Cup.

The Central Defence can also be adequate by Comittee (and can even help the Defensive Midfield positions) with players like Awaziem and Ajayi.

The greatest strength of the team is one that has hardly been tapped into. I salivate at the potential and threat that can be posed by Aina & Zaidu (with Collins. Ebuehi and Osayi Samuel) as forward bombing wing backs. I would find a way to stretch teams with pace with this crew. It also means 3 in Central Defence.

Anyway, enough about Nigeria, as we should focus on the African teams in this World Cup.

With all the serious issues facing the Nation, who knows if there will be one Super Eagles team in 2026?
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Well said. Ghana does have some talent. Kudus, Partey, Williams, Amartey, Djiku and even the much maligned Ayew brothers are good enough to beat South Korea and Uruguay.

I have a feeling Cameroon will botch it today.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Both of you speak for una sefs. I am hoping ghana loses today. I don't give two flying crap about ghana and their pathetic park the bus football. I don't wish them well and will be hoping they get eliminated today. They are the worst team and on par with Qatar.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:27 am Both of you speak for una sefs. I am hoping ghana loses today. I don't give two flying crap about ghana and their pathetic park the bus football. I don't wish them well and will be hoping they get eliminated today. They are the worst team and on par with Qatar.
You be one ashewo sha! You can't make up your mind. One minute you are for Ghana, another minute you want them to lose? Make up your freaking mind.
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

truetalk wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:00 am

The Indomitable lions must live up to their name. They have done so many times in the past, and you can never count them out. They had no reason to lose to Switzerland, but I will not be surprised in Cameroon get a result against a Brazilian side that is looking like one of the best two teams in this tournament (alongside France).
First comes Serbia though, and the lions must find a way to get the victory today. It is within them, and with Eto'o at the helm of affairs of Fecafoot, this team has been largely shielded from all the admin drama you normally expect with Cameroon (and Nigeria).

I was born in 86 and cannot remember such times. I still painfully remember the cheating against Chile in 98, but other than that they have been stinking up the place. Since their run in 1990 they have won 1 game (against 2002 0-8 Saudi Arabia), drew 5 and lost 10.

Brazil on the other hand rarely loses during the group stage, especially not against much weaker opposition. The last time that happend was in 98 when they already secured 1st place. I think Qatar had a higher chance of winning the group than Cameroon beating Brazil.
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"