Let us be honest Europe has only 5 to 6 good and top teams

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wazobia
Egg
Egg
Re: Let us be honest Europe has only 5 to 6 good and top teams

Post by wazobia »

wazobia wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:48 pm
AreaDaddy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:57 pm
wazobia wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:12 pm
airwolex wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:05 pm
wazobia wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:26 pm I don’t think the top 5-6 teams are the same for every World Cup cycle. The point remains that Europe’s many places is often justified by the performances and results. It might look a little different if you look at performances by the teams that are below the top tier.
But they have many entrants nah. A lot of tournament play is luck, and the more entrants you have the more your chances.

Plus, a lot of these competitions are mainly played in Europe, and there is clearly an advantage in that.

At the end of the day, if you added Egypt, Nigeria, Algeria, CIV, and maybe even Zambia to this WC, Africa's chances will go up. They are certainly as good or better than many Nations there
I agree. A lot of the arguments made to justify the places Europe has compared with Africa for example are not fair IMHO. 2026 make up of teams will go some way towards addressing the imbalance
WC 2026 could be a total mess if FIFA sticks with its plan of 3 team groups as per the utter shame of Germany and Austria back then colluding to eliminate a great Algerian team
Germany and Austria colluded in a 4 team group game in 1982. Incidentally that World Cup also had a second round with 3 team groups which was exciting. The only issue I can see is the possibility of a dead rubber final group game between the two teams that lost if a team wins the first two games
The potential of a dead rubber final match will likely be prevented by this rule from the 1982 World Cup second round:
though the fixtures were provisionally determined in advance, the teams competing in each fixture depended on the result of the opening match in each group: Should a team lose their opening game of the group, that team would then have to play in the second fixture against the team not playing in the opening group game; the winner of the opening game would, by contrast, be rewarded by not needing to play again until the final fixture of the group and therefore gained extra recovery time. If the opening game was a draw, the predetermined order of games would proceed as planned. These regulations helped ensure that the final group games were of importance as no team could already have progressed to the semi-finals by the end of the second fixtures.
WOWO = ONO (oh no!) = OBO

WOWO 'We only want Oyinbo'

ONO 'Oyinbo na Oyinbo'

OBO 'Oyinbo be Oyinbo'
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

You are right it was 4 teams per group. I guess the simultaneous kick off of the last round was the solution at the time.
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Should Europe get an additional 3 spots ? They really do not have that many quality teams
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

and in just 2 weeks , 3 European super powers couldn't break the defense of the Atlas lions
SuperEagles

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

And one European Nations League B-sider went balls deep into the Lion Kings of Terenga. Swings and roundabouts.
Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

kalani JR wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:07 pm
return2k2 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:02 pm Everybody knows that African players individually are dominating in European Leagues but Africans just seems to have an issue with developing National teams.
Only few European National Teams are exceptional.
Most European National Teams are full of wack players and that's part of why they're recruiting Africans into their squads and they keep trying to get Africa to Naturalize.

Na Cameroonian born man wey score for Switzerland against Cameroon.

Na Black man wey score goal number 3 for portugal against Ghana

France leading striker Mbape be Cameroonian man

and so on and so fort :mrgreen:
If Kylian was born and raised in Cameroon he wouldn't be the player he is today.
You never know. Born and raised in France didn’t give him the speed nor the football talent. He was born with that. But the talent was developed in France.

Finidi Geroge was born and raised in Nigeria and he became one of the best players in the world during his prime.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

When was Finidi George's prime? '93-98? Ajax more than Betis perhaps. Did George not confess, his failure to be recognised as the best in Africa, was due to the talent pool at the time. To have been amongst the best in the world is quite simply, Cyberian gibberish. Brilliant though he was, he most certainly wasn't in the World's top 10 during any of those years.
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

airwolex wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:05 pm
wazobia wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:26 pm I don’t think the top 5-6 teams are the same for every World Cup cycle. The point remains that Europe’s many places is often justified by the performances and results. It might look a little different if you look at performances by the teams that are below the top tier.
But they have many entrants nah. A lot of tournament play is luck, and the more entrants you have the more your chances.

Plus, a lot of these competitions are mainly played in Europe, and there is clearly an advantage in that.

At the end of the day, if you added Egypt, Nigeria, Algeria, CIV, and maybe even Zambia to this WC, Africa's chances will go up. They are certainly as good or better than many Nations there
I agree on the home soil part, but not the other one. The more teams one confederation has, the more group stage exits should be expected. Take Central and North America, 3 out of 4 teams went home. I doubt if they had 13 teams present, the ration of teams advancing would increase.
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

return2k2 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:02 pm Everybody knows that African players individually are dominating in European Leagues but Africans just seems to have an issue with developing National teams.
Most European National Teams are full of wack players and that's part of why they're recruiting Africans into their squads and they keep trying to get Africa to Naturalize.

If Kylian was born and raised in Cameroon he wouldn't be the player he is today.
The internet is precisely the place to say the dumbest things. George Weah, Roga Milla, Sam Eto’o, Jay Jay Okocha, Nwankwo Kanu, Victor Osimhen and the other great African football players were all born and raised in Europe, abi? I hope you don’t say such stupid things in your workplace. If you do, you won’t have a very long and productive career🤔❗️

Cheers.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:34 pm

The internet is precisely the place to say the dumbest things. George Weah, Roga Milla, Sam Eto’o, Jay Jay Okocha, Nwankwo Kanu, Victor Osimhen and the other great African football players were all born and raised in Europe, abi? I hope you don’t say such stupid things in your workplace. If you do, you won’t have a very long and productive career🤔❗️

Cheers.
can you imagine, the new lie they now spread . kai this was a good rebuttal ... :clap: :clap: :clap:
SuperEagles

Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

THAT'S A GREAT POINT!!!!!......
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Cheers.
I didn't say he wouldn't be a great player, I just said he wouldn't be who he is. The truth is all those players you mentioned would have been 2x the players they were if they were raised in Europe.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The fact that weak European teams have profited from the sweat of 4-5 top teams in Europe is undeniable. It is not just in earning World Cup spots but also in FIFA rankings. This very point has been made for years now but has been repeatedly ignored by FIFA.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

mate wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:01 pm I think Croatia is a very good European football team. We've beaten Germany, Argentina, Spain, Holland, Denmark, England, and Italy at the World Cup or European Championship. Sometimes deep into the competition. We've only been competing in the World Cup since 1998 as an independent country, where we not only made it but took 3rd place. Obviously we're current vice champion, 2nd in 2018.

Keep in mind Croatia also convincingly beat Cameroon and Nigeria at the World Cup.

So is Croatia really in the same category as Serbia, Switzerland, and Wales? I'm not saying we're special, but I like to think we're better than these countries. Just saying...since you mentioned Croatia.

:)
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
You’re being too modest. You called it.
Croatia IS special!
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

kalani JR wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:16 pm

Cheers.
I didn't say he wouldn't be a great player, I just said he wouldn't be who he is. The truth is all those players you mentioned would have been 2x the players they were if they were raised in Europe.
...you talk true. Many here on CE, in Nigeria, and Africa in general have always agreed not to admit to our failings.
We have good and great players but poor administrators who cannot administer, coach and groom the players.
Likewise we have good and great medical doctors, engineers, financial enterprenuers, etc, but very poor government to encourage them.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

kalani JR wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:16 pm

Cheers.
And you know this because..............................

One would be right to conclude that every player born and raised in Europe turned out to be great????
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Damunk wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:35 pm
mate wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:01 pm I think Croatia is a very good European football team. We've beaten Germany, Argentina, Spain, Holland, Denmark, England, and Italy at the World Cup or European Championship. Sometimes deep into the competition. We've only been competing in the World Cup since 1998 as an independent country, where we not only made it but took 3rd place. Obviously we're current vice champion, 2nd in 2018.

Keep in mind Croatia also convincingly beat Cameroon and Nigeria at the World Cup.

So is Croatia really in the same category as Serbia, Switzerland, and Wales? I'm not saying we're special, but I like to think we're better than these countries. Just saying...since you mentioned Croatia.

Croatia IS special!

Thanks man. I am having fun with another great Croatian run. Jokes aside, I know we're not tier 1 until we win it all. I dream of this...but man there are 2 more games for this dream.

Ah I wish to God we had but 1 good forward. Just 1! That will be our downfall.

Argentina, France, and Portugal of the remaining teams can score a few goals a game.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

mate wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:54 pm
Damunk wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:35 pm

Croatia IS special!

Thanks man. I am having fun with another great Croatian run. Jokes aside, I know we're not tier 1 until we win it all. I dream of this...but man there are 2 more games for this dream.

Ah I wish to God we had but 1 good forward. Just 1! That will be our downfall.

Argentina, France, and Portugal of the remaining teams can score a few goals a game.
Well, Portugal are half way to the airport as we speak.
I hope they get there in the next 45 minutes, plus go-slow time. :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "