Something Remarkable Is Happening in African Football

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Something Remarkable Is Happening in African Football

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:28 pm
Damunk wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:12 pm I’m too wise to fall for your shenanigans my friend.
Dont be lazy. Go and read weytin that small pikin talk. She go vex you. :rotf:

Meanwhile, Back to topic. No-one apart from your friend Rohr believes in learning stuff during the World Cup. Or talking about the quality of the opposition. Nobody.
Not even our G.O.A.T. hero Keshi.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
keshi talked about lessoning from past experience.
"We came out differently after the break. I hope we can take this experience with us toward the match against France.
Rohr was in the WC and said the WC was coming early :woot:
"What I like in my young team is humility, solidarity and fighting spirit. I thought before this World Cup we were here to learn.

"I think this team will be ready in 2022 and this World Cup is coming early, but we have a good chance to win against Argentina."
See 180 spin! :D
Smart guy. What is this ‘‘experience’’ Keshi specifically referred to? Nothing to do with learning anything abi? :clap:
And what about his comments on the quality of opposition? You left it out too? Or you no see am?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

It’s all good.
Peseiro is next to go. Then we can rest with our unnamed local coaching gurus that are just too good to ‘learn’ anything.
God forbid. That’s for oyibos, and maybe fools like Kolo Toure. Not us.

So here’s looking forward to your ‘dignified’ silence during our inevitable labour pain.
Meanwhile, how you see Senegal?
:D :D :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:47 am See 180 spin! :D
Smart guy. What is this ‘‘experience’’ Keshi specifically referred to? Nothing to do with learning anything abi? :clap:
And what about his comments on the quality of opposition? You left it out too? Or you no see am?

It’s all good.
Peseiro is next to go. Then we can rest with our unnamed local coaching gurus that are just too good to ‘learn’ anything.

So here’s looking forward to your ‘dignified’ silence during our inevitable labour pain.
Let's help you out.

Coach A to Damunk: You must take the experience from your last match into the next game.

Coach B to Damunk: You are here to LEARN. This competition came way too early for you. You will be ready in 4 years time.

We can actually learn from Senegal, in turns of continuity (FA, Coach) etc and not copy and paste.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:13 am
Damunk wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:47 am See 180 spin! :D

It’s all good.

Let's help you out.

Coach A to Damunk: You must take the experience from your last match into the next game.

Coach B to Damunk: You are here to LEARN. This competition came way too early for you. You will be ready in 4 years time.

We can actually learn from Senegal, in turns of continuity (FA, Coach) etc and not copy and paste.
Ah! So we agree on something!
Good thing Cisse isn’t coaching Nigeria then….
Lucky man.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Fabioyoyo.
And what about Keshi’s comments on the quality of opposition? You left it out again?
You still no see am?
Or you didn’t notice I asked you the Q earlier?
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:11 pm Fabioyoyo.
And what about Keshi’s comments on the quality of opposition? You left it out again?
You still no see am?
Or you didn’t notice I asked you the Q earlier?
This is what Keshi said....
"The France players all play at big clubs across the world and [Didier] Deschamps has plenty of options. They have started the tournament really well. It will be a very difficult game.

"It has been a very open tournament. You can never predict what will happen. Look at the Netherlands game [against Mexico] and what happened. Even Brazil are not guaranteed anything. It's been a wonderful tournament."
Now compare it with Rohr....

After the Croatia game.
“Mikel has since I took over always been playing the way we deployed him today, and this has yielded results for us.

“But, he couldn’t have done better than he did today, because of the quality of those he was playing against.

“He had Ivan Rakitic of FC Barcelona and Luka Modric of Real Madrid playing against him, and they are of good quality and playing for clubs bigger than that of Mikel who plays in China.”

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/2 ... -rohr.html
Wetin be ‘dignified’ silence :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

@Ohsee
What are the five racial groups indegenous to Africa

Thanks
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Comrade Machel wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:40 pm @Ohsee
What are the five racial groups indegenous to Africa

Thanks
Chief, race is no longer a category that serves any scientific purpose. I merely used the discarded category of race because TonyTheTabbyTorturer claimed that Africa is an unconditional home for "black people". The five "races" I was referring to are Negroid, Hamitic, Caucasian, Semitic, and Khoisan. This is what we learned in school back in the day, but it is regarded as a not very useful or viable classification today.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Damunk wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:04 pm
amafolas wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:34 am its not the language. It was Keshi that made me realize something. WC is game of more heart than technique or tactic, much much more so than club football. Club football is about who has the best team, tactic, coach execution. The world cup, heart and want-it-more matters. A coach that feels that connection deep and is able to inspire his team will always do better at the world cup than some all-knowing coach who doesn't instill belief. Being able to tap into the psyche of the players, your shared background, inspire them to a vision is much more important than tactics. I am not saying talent or tactics doesn't matter. All other things being equal, talent wins out. At the World cup, an event that happens once every 4 years, heart matters more.
It’s not clear what you are saying but I think you are saying that heart matters more when talent is at par. But it’s incontestable that when heart is at par, talent rules. The reality is that talent is never equal, and you can have all the heart in the world, talent will invariably reign supreme. The one-offs will occur but heart can only take it so far, even with a fair amount of talent.

There’s a reason why only a handful of countries have won the WC. There is no shortage of heart around the world. It is talent that is unevenly distributed. Today, Australia will pitch their heart against Argentina’s talent. Good luck to them.
It was Keshi that made me understand that. All his press conferences were about inspiring his players, making them feel like they can rise up to the occasion, instilling belief and confidence. Keshi went to world cup with Babatunde Messi, that guy is not qualified to play Div 4 football. yet he was there on the pitch, outplaying his talent by far. Meanwhile, Rohr arrived with a defeatist attitude, saying we were there to learn.
Press conferences are meant for you and I, and the press. Not for the players.
The 30 mins spent in a press conference is nothing compared to time spent with the players collectively and even 1v1.
I know it’s now the accepted narrative that Rohr was telling the players they were hardly good enough and they were all there to “learn”.
Interesting that no one is remotely interested in what was actually said to players in the dressing room on the regular.
It’s convenient to ignore all that and believe the recycled myth without even questioning it.
We speak about lazy journalists but the fans are no better. :lol:

Sebi we want a loudmouth? We have one in the hot-blooded Latino, Peseiro.
Let’s see the difference it makes. :idea:
Next world cup, please get a decent enough naija tactician, who can insipre, and let's roll
Like these?

See what I did there?
I just did a ‘Pick and Choose’ depending on what I wanted to convince myself about.

“Don’t judge a book by its cover”
I am not arguing that all LCs can inspire. I am arguing that there's a shared experience and a sense of connectedness that goes beyond "just trying to get the work done", that can help a team play above their level, which is needed at the WC level.
If there 2 objectively equally competent candidate (as if that's actually possible to measure), I will absolutely take an LC over a FC, especially one with leadership qualities of a Stephen Keshi. Heck I will take a slightless less technically competent LC over a FC, if he's able to connect and lead better.

By the way, at the end of the day, well coached genuine talent is still most reliable path to success. All the heart and inspiration in the world can't replace that, not consistently.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.