Anyone Noticed the Australians?

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bell
Egg
Egg
Anyone Noticed the Australians?

Post by Bell »

They seem to be playing with a distinctively different style, different from just about all the other teams. And it's refreshing to see.

It looks like they assembled a bunch of brawny guys for this campaign. In game that has becoming more and more characterized with teams trying to dribble and pass their way out of their backfield (to show their ball skills), excessively getting the keeper involved with robotic and boring back passes, the Australians are more direct and just boot the ball forward.

When the opposing defense has the ball, the Australians don't pull back (like other teams "playing advance tactics"), instead they charge putting pressure on defenses. They run hard all game long. If you're playing against them, you better be fit.

I don't know if this is a national trait or the style of the current coach, or an approach adopted only for this tournament but I enjoy watching a team that is willing to ignore the boring sameness that world soccer is becoming. Africa used to have a style that emphasized flair until they started listening to foreign "experts" and coaches that told them they were "tactically naive". I'm watching them vs Denmark right now and I'd like to see them move to the elimination rounds.
Bell
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Anyone Noticed the Australians?

Post by mate »

Honestly, I wrote them off after game 1.

And I thought up to this tournament they simply sucked, based on watching them in a few qualifying game and that lucky win against Peru.

Football is funny.

🤔
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

mate wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:40 pm Honestly, I wrote them off after game 1.

And I thought up to this tournament they simply sucked, based on watching them in a few qualifying game and that lucky win against Peru.

Football is funny.

🤔

MANY WOULDN'T CONSIDER THEIR STYLE SEXY, BUT...

...it's refreshing and, more importantly, effective. I'm tired of the copy cat approach in world soccer.
Bell
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Unbelievable.

Maybe I'll change my mind when I watch the recorded game later.

Again, I can't believe a team like Australia can advance in such a group with their talent and style.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
GREENWHITEGREEN
Egg
Egg

Post by GREENWHITEGREEN »

I haven't noticed the Aussies. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Good observation. They have beaten Denmark and are now through.
-Simpli fy -
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Denmark were a big disappointment. Stale and unimaginative throughout!

Wha choo looking at?!