What's the purpose of VAR ?

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet
What's the purpose of VAR ?

Post by bamenda boy »

I saw a legit Morrocan goal ruled offside. A Japanese goal that crossed the line before Theo scored. Was VAR not supposed to address these issues?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: What's the purpose of VAR ?

Post by danfo driver »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

you guys are finally catching up, years after I said it? VAR has always been the tool to help the big teams get the close decisions and steal wins.

I laughed at the commentator on Fox who said that he doesnt know why Croatia players are complaining to the ref, "afterall, because of VAR it was an objective decision." :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Objective?? objective??!!! how objective is it, when a person goes to look in the screen and MAKES THE DECISION-- THAT IS SUBJECTIVE! :oops: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

bamenda boy wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:47 am I saw a legit Morrocan goal ruled offside. A Japanese goal that crossed the line before Theo scored. Was VAR not supposed to address these issues?
… there was also the German goal that should have been ruled offside. They pulled that u17 Germany vs Nigeria gag. The bemusing thing here was even after the play was supposedly reset, the goal scorer was still offside. Usually, the commentators are quick to draw those lines that prove or disprove offsides. Not this time though. No one can convince me that FIFA officials in the background don’t give VAR officials specific instructions when to allow or disallow goals. That 4th goal was an absolute travesty. Anyway, in spite of all the ojoro, Germany still did not advance. A very fitting outcome, as far as I’m concerned❗️

Cheers.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:15 am
bamenda boy wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:47 am I saw a legit Morrocan goal ruled offside. A Japanese goal that crossed the line before Theo scored. Was VAR not supposed to address these issues?
… there was also the German goal that should have been ruled offside. They pulled that u17 Germany vs Nigeria gag. The bemusing thing here was even after the play was supposedly reset, the goal scorer was still offside. Usually, the commentators are quick to draw those lines that prove or disprove offsides. Not this time though. No one can convince me that FIFA officials in the background don’t give VAR officials specific instructions when to allow or disallow goals. That 4th goal was an absolute travesty. Anyway, in spite of all the ojoro, Germany still did not advance. A very fitting outcome, as far as I’m concerned❗️

Cheers.
The german goal wasn't' offside though. The defender pushed the striker into an offiside position while trying to hold his line, that is jankara defending. Hence no offside.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Both of these were the right calls. The moroccans were clearly offside in the play leading up to the goal and the japanese goal was legit as the ball hadn't cleared the line. VAR has issues, but these are not good examples. One grey area is if the decision is disputed or inconclusive, they go with the on-field decision of the referee e.g. Ronaldo goal against Ghana, there was upper body contact, Ronny pushed the ball and the defender did not make contact with the ball but made slightest of contact with Ronaldo's leg. Disputed, hence the penalty given by the ref.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

felarey wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:20 am
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:15 am

Cheers.
The german goal wasn't' offside though. The defender pushed the striker into an offiside position while trying to hold his line, that is jankara defending. Hence no offside.
😀😀😀Opinions, opinions opinions. If that were the case, why wasn’t a foul called and a penalty awarded❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

VAR was right.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet