[WC 2022] Netherlands vs USA(3-1) (Memphis 10min, Blind 46min, Dumffries 80min); Haji 75min FT

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
[WC 2022] Netherlands vs USA(3-1) (Memphis 10min, Blind 46min, Dumffries 80min); Haji 75min FT

Post by txj »

This should be a very interesting game.

The Dutch IMHO have executed on their pre WC tactics better than anyone at the WC so far. The key tracking point about the WC, is how teams are adjusting, not so much how great a team is looking atm.

The best example of all time being Italy, 1982.

The Dutch have used a back-3 to execute a pressing system, enabling them push the wingbacks high, and using clever ball retention in MF to draw teams out and allow late runners free on goal.

That is how Cody Gakpo has scored so far. With Memphis steadily building up fitness, expect more guile in movement upfront.

On the other side, the Americans have been driven by the energy and intensity of their three CMs- Musah, McKennie and Adma (MMA).

To disrupt that press from the center, they will need a forward who can push back Van Dyk and disrupt the press.

You can either do it with physical presence (goodluck with that)/hold up play- Josh Sargent, or with pace in open space, behind the fullbacks.

For the US to win, they will have to disrupt things. Unfortunately, they lack a clinical striker.. But this is not the Dutch of Gullitt, Van Basten, and Neskeens..

However, this Dutch team is wily; they are patient (see Senegal game) and will win this game, if they do, on superior 'smarts'. Waiting in the bushes for the MMA to reach entropy, as in Hatton Wonderland...

American belief vs Dutch smarts...

Let the games begin!!!!
Last edited by txj on Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: [WC 2022] Netherlands vs USA(0-0)

Post by txj »

Young and inexperienced he may be, the US Manager Greg Berhalter is holding his own in Qatar. Befuddled the eternally confused Southgate and should've buried those Welsh carpenters in the first half...

Will be interesting to see what he comes up with in this one.

An example of how a good domestic league can be a laboratory for incubation of coaches..
Serious coaches, not folks on youtube moving draught pieces...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I'm getting my USA jersey ready for this one
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

I'm giving up my Saturday morning game for this one. I've waited many years to watch the USA not only in the WC, but with a team that is talented enough.

I've not at all been impressed with the Dutch. Big names, but they've not played well. They seem slow and unimaginative. They really got outplayed by Equador. Even against Senegal, they were but more clinical, with a 2nd goal flattering to deceive.

Of all the things TXJ noted, the lack of a consistent USA striker for me makes the biggest difference. I think USA midfield and defense can match that of Holland now that the smoke of the 1st round is over. If it stays tight, all the better for the USA against a supposedly superior Holland...who I think will be tentative and cautious, with the USA actually taking more risks.

My favorite USA player right now is Dest. Kid has grown on me. Never stops running, skilled, and attacks from the back with conviction. He is part Dutch, so, it would be fitting to win with the USA here.

I'm feeling pretty good about USA chances.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

txj wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:56 am Young and inexperienced he may be, the US Manager Greg Berhalter is holding his own in Qatar. Befuddled the eternally confused Southgate and should've buried those Welsh carpenters in the first half...

Will be interesting to see what he comes up with in this one.

An example of how a good domestic league can be a laboratory for incubation of coaches..
Serious coaches, not folks on youtube moving draught pieces...
What the U.S coach is doing is playing his according to the debt of their league. Those who play in higher leagues get top priority. E.g the striker in MLS with sit on the bench and Tim Weah in France would start.
Same goes from midfield all the way to attack. Those who play in higher caliber leagues get top priority..
I think my boy Tyler Adams will come through as usual. Musah will have to keep it simple. Our Wing backs in my opinion will give the Dutch a harder time.
Let's see what the coach can pull up in his magic hat.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...did not watch much of the Dutch matches, but I believe Blind will be tormented on the wing and in the back.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

Jesus Ferriera starting has played even less than Gio this tournament, bold call Greg, lets see how it goes.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Lineups
Netherlands
23 Andries Noppert
2 Jurrien Timber
4 Virgil van Dijk
5 Nathan Ake
22 Denzel Dumfries
15 Marten de Roon
21 Frenkie de Jong
17 Daley Blind
14 Davy Klaassen
8 Cody Gakpo
10 Memphis Depay

Substitutes
1 Remko Pasveer
3 Matthijs de Ligt
6 Stefan de Vrij
7 Steven Bergwijn
9 Luuk de Jong
11 Steven Berghuis
12 Noa Lang
13 Justin Bijlow
16 Tyrell Malacia
18 Vincent Janssen
19 Wout Weghorst
20 Teun Koopmeiners
24 Kenneth Taylor
25 Xavi Simons
26 Jeremie Frimpong

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

LVG brings on De Roon to match the energy/intensity of MMA, with Klaessen at the tip of a triangle in MF

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

1Turner
2Dest
3Zimmerman
13Ream
5Robinson
6Musah
4Adams
8McKennie
9Ferreira
21Weah
10Pulisic

Substitutes
7Reyna
11Aaronson
12Horvath
14de la Torre
15Long
16Morris
17Roldán
18Moore
19Wright
20Carter-Vickers
22Yedlin
23Acosta
25Johnson
26Scally

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Reyna on the bench, and Ferreira starts up top.

Greg Berhalter will live and die by his convictions.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

King Futcha wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:27 pm Jesus Ferriera starting has played even less than Gio this tournament, bold call Greg, lets see how it goes.

You know the critics are already warming up the grill, even on a cold winter morning... :lol:

King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

txj wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:38 pm
King Futcha wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:27 pm Jesus Ferriera starting has played even less than Gio this tournament, bold call Greg, lets see how it goes.

You know the critics are already warming up the grill, even on a cold winter morning... :lol:
indeed brother.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
mblack
Egg
Egg

Post by mblack »

Tobi17 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:00 am I'm getting my USA jersey ready for this one
I can’t wait for them to be knocked out. i am yet to see a more loud sounding, all knowing, obnoxious, we are better than everyone bunch than the US.
Of course this has nothing to do with ability. So allow me be biased. I am drawing from experience.
Bring your life style to me I'll make it better. Murder Was The Case. Snoop Dogg, DoggStyle Nov 23, 1993
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

I’ve been waiting for a long time for this. Come on USA. Bring us the victory. Storm them with our fitness, speed, and resolve. And the talent we’ve now finally developed.

Do it for the soccer Mothers. Please!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

What's up with Gio? lol
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

The US play like they played against England, they will blow the Dutch away! Let's go USA!!!!!

Wha choo looking at?!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Dutch happy to cede possession in the early stages

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Alright, let's see what happens in this game. I am rooting for the Yankees.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Wow. The US come close

mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Point blank miss by Pulisic. He needs to freaking bury that! Damn.

Just doesn’t have it.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

A chance for the USA, but keeper did his job
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

US happy and willing to take the initiative