[WC 2022 R16] ENGLAND 3 (Henderson, Kane, Saka) SENEGAL 0 FT

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
[WC 2022 R16] ENGLAND 3 (Henderson, Kane, Saka) SENEGAL 0 FT

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Will England finally lose to an African team at the WC? Game on shortly ...
Last edited by Scipio Africanus on Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: [WC 2022 R16] ENGLAND 0 SENEGAL 0

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... nce-poland
After all that noise – the joy, the triumphalism, the entitlement, the schadenfreude, the self-loathing – England had the best record of any team in the group stage at Qatar 2022. It shows how far they have come under Gareth Southgate that seven points and nine goals, the latter a record for England at a major tournament, was not enough to please Twitter’s finest.

Even in the hysterical world of the England national team, it’s hard to remember the last time that the balance between on-field achievement and off-field angst was so far out of whack, and that is unlikely to change unless England win handsomely against Senegal tonight. After a semi-final in 2018 and a final last year, the louder elements of the media, traditional and social, have come to a near unanimous conclusion: Southgate is holding England back.

The received wisdom is that England have an embarrassment of riches in attacking areas. Fine players though they are, we might be confusing the excellence of the Premier League with that of the national team. Since England became good again in 2018, a total of 10,158 voting points have been available at the Ballon d’Or. (Bear with us, this isn’t as boring as it sounds.) Premier League players picked up 3,431 of them, or 33.78%. But English players received only 86, or 0.85%. That’s less than Eden Hazard, and he has barely played in the last three years. For all his imperfections, most obviously his indecisive in-game management, Southgate has significantly overachieved with a squad that is not as talented as the “golden generation” of the mid-2000s.

Senegal, who they face tonight, have been filed under “awkward opponent but one England should beat”. England have never lost to an African team, a statistic that has been cited frequently in the buildup. Despite 30 years of watching players as stylistically diverse as Nwankwo Kanu, Mo Salah, Sadio Mane, Jay-Jay Okocha and Yaya Touré in the Premier League, there is a perceived homogeneity to African football that doesn’t reflect well on English football’s subconscious.

Wha choo looking at?!
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

I think young Pape Sarr may be the one to replace Gana. I for one, would love to see him start.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Yuuuuuuuge game for Africa. England must fall. I'd give up eating amala to see England on a plane heading for London tomorrow. :thumbs:
OCCUPY NFF!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

My concern for Senegal is that their football is not always balanced and key players can lose focus in surprising moments.

Not every opening is an opportunity.

When they attack, they tend to leave territory unaccounted for, and their defensive transitions suffer from the aforementioned focus...

I expect England to follow the Dutch script...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

King Futcha wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:18 pm I think young Pape Sarr may be the one to replace Gana. I for one, would love to see him start.
Seen Internet speculation that Diatta will start in his place.

Also Foden and Saka will start on the wings for England.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Gotta be honest, I think England wins this. Senegal doesn’t seem to have the striking power. England tends to beat teams when they’re a legitimate favorite.

But England for me is the weakest of the decent European teams. They’ll again be found out when they meet a stronger team.

No way do I see England hanging with Brazil, Spain, Portugal, or France. Even Croatia in my book, bias aside, is better.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

hopefully no PKs .. focus, out power, out pace and be clinical . Whatever happens , they should be happy Mane missed this worldcup . This game would have looked like Mbappe vs Poland
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

This game go sweeeeeettt o!!!

Wha choo looking at?!
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Fair point. At the ANC, they got better game after game and as the tourney progressed, we saw less mistakes from them. We seem to be seeing the same pattern here.
txj wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:26 pm My concern for Senegal is that their football is not always balanced and key players can lose focus in surprising moments.

When they attack, they tend to leave territory unaccounted for, and their defensive transitions suffer from the aforementioned focus...

Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

I am a bit less optimistic with the way the favourites have been dispatching less fancied teams. Plus Gueye's absence is huge.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

YUJAM wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:27 pm
King Futcha wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:18 pm I think young Pape Sarr may be the one to replace Gana. I for one, would love to see him start.
Seen Internet speculation that Diatta will start in his place.

Also Foden and Saka will start on the wings for England.
Diatta it is. I do like Iliman being moved to the center but Diatta... I don't know.
Saints baby we did it
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

airwolex wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:48 pm I am a bit less optimistic with the way the favourites have been dispatching less fancied teams. Plus Gueye's absence is huge.
those teams were elite this team, i'm not gonna put them at their level.
Saints baby we did it
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

King Futcha wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:53 pm
airwolex wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:48 pm I am a bit less optimistic with the way the favourites have been dispatching less fancied teams. Plus Gueye's absence is huge.
I hope so
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

airwolex wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:02 pm
King Futcha wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:53 pm
I hope so
our boy N'Diaye is about to secure his prem move today :thumbs: :thumbs:
Saints baby we did it
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Good lineup for Senegal
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:02 pm Will England finally lose to an African team at the WC? Game on shortly ...
Scipio (she/him) I just stumbled on this your post.
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:29 pm The Dutch players have been spending a lot of time on the squat rack. Jeeesus!!
I see you were appreciating the glutes I.e yansh of the Dutch players. Thot you should complete your transition :rotf: before coming out. Now is it only the flying Dutchmen or this is why you watch football? :rotf:
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Lineups:

England: Pickford, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw, Henderson, Rice, Bellingham, Saka, Kane, Foden.
Subs: Grealish, Rashford, Trippier, Pope, Phillips, Dier, Coady, Alexander-Arnold, Mount, Ramsdale, Wilson, Maddison, Gallagher.

Senegal: Edouard Mendy, Sabaly, Koulibaly, Diallo, Jakobs, Ciss, Nampalys Mendy, Ndiaye, Diatta, Ismaila Sarr, Dia.
Subs: Seny Dieng, Formose Mendy, Cisse, Jackson, Moussa N’Diaye, Ballo-Toure, Pape Sarr, Diedhiou, Ahmadou Dieng, Gomis, Name, Loum N’Diaye, Pape Gueye.

Referee: Ivan Barton (El Salvador).

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

felarey wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:12 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:02 pm Will England finally lose to an African team at the WC? Game on shortly ...
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:29 pm The Dutch players have been spending a lot of time on the squat rack. Jeeesus!!
I see you were appreciating the glutes I.e yansh of the Dutch players. Thot you should complete your transition :rotf: before coming out. Now is it only the flying Dutchmen or this is why you watch football? :rotf:
Squats build calf and quad muscles. I no sabi from wia you find yansh carry am put for convo. :laugh:

Everybodi take note of who mention yansh first o! :laugh: Na Felarey. Typical closeted Republican :mrgreen:

Wha choo looking at?!
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

there was nowhere to go but up, but clint has really improved in the studio.
Saints baby we did it
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

YUJAM wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:44 pm Fair point. At the ANC, they got better game after game and as the tourney progressed, we saw less mistakes from them. We seem to be seeing the same pattern here.
txj wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:26 pm My concern for Senegal is that their football is not always balanced and key players can lose focus in surprising moments.

All due respect, but this is not the ANC, which is often not of a high level wrt tactical organization and player quality...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

like I said, double jeopardy for me; friend son starts for England and at the same time I want England to do well! England will surely have too much fire power for Senegal, you cannot underestimate any team at the World Cup but England issues will start at the quarter-finals where the teams left are more than capable
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:28 pm
felarey wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:12 pm
Squats build calf and quad muscles. I no sabi from wia you find yansh carry am put for convo. :laugh:

Everybodi take note of who mention yansh first o! :laugh: Na Felarey. Typical closeted Republican :mrgreen:
Oh, was your focus on the thighs/quads too?? :rotf: Squats build and tighten glutes for sure. You haven’t answered if you have this for everyone or just your flying Dutchmen :rotf: :rotf:
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS