[WC 2022 R16] JAPAN (1) Vs CROATIA (1)...CROATIA WINS 3-1 IN EXTRA TIME PKs

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: [WC 2022 R16] JAPAN (1) Vs CROATIA (0)

Post by King Futcha »

ohsee wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:55 pm Oga mate, Japan be tappin' oh! And I almost did not watch this game, thinking it would be a walkover for you guys. :D World Cup sweet o! :D
yaaay we avoided Spain or Germany! life teaches us, be careful what you wish for.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

We're paying the price for ultimately for conservatism and loyalty to older players. Lovren and Perisic. should not be out there. We could have compensated for a lack of forwards...but even at that, we play tall lumbering Petkovic, who actually made the mistake that led to the Japanese goal.

Petkovic is 6'4. Instead of heading he plays with the feet and gives the Japanese forward a gift. But credit to Japan for ambition: they bombed the goal. Playing with nothing to lose. We're playing with nervous caution.

This is not 2018. The coach is to blame, as we still have a formidable set of players. At least go down with a better performance.

Japan will score another.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
chopachop
Egg
Egg

Post by chopachop »

mate wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:03 pm We're paying the price for ultimately for conservatism and loyalty to older players. Lovren and Perisic. should not be out there. We could have compensated for a lack of forwards...but even at that, we play tall lumbering Petkovic, who actually made the mistake that led to the Japanese goal.

Petkovic is 6'4. Instead of heading he plays with the feet and gives the Japanese forward a gift. But credit to Japan for ambition: they bombed the goal. Playing with nothing to lose. We're playing with nervous caution.

This is not 2018. The coach is to blame, as we still have a formidable set of players. At least go down with a better performance.

Well you wanted Japan instead of Spain.
Croatia has no 9. It is going to be a hard day.
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

mate wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:03 pm We're paying the price for ultimately for conservatism and loyalty to older players. Lovren and Perisic. should not be out there. We could have compensated for a lack of forwards...but even at that, we play tall lumbering Petkovic, who actually made the mistake that led to the Japanese goal.

There are certainly some young bucks on the Croatian bench who can replace them. The problem is that all "traditional" coaches like the experience of older players even if they are playing with their tongues watering the grass.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

chopachop wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:08 pm

We have not 1 competent forward. We're playing 2, where we should play 1 and bring in an extra attacking midfielder.

This is where coaching makes a difference. Dalic gets 95% right. But the last 5% we as fans can often see...and he went with 2 older players and 2 bad forwards.

As always, margins.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

joplass wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:08 pm

There are certainly some young bucks on the Croatian bench who can replace them. The problem is that all "traditional" coaches like the experience of older players even if they are playing with their tongues watering the grass.

Exactly. So many teams do this, especially us.

We have some REALLY good young guys like Majer, Sutalo, and Erlic.

Again, small deficiencies add up.
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

mate wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:10 pm
chopachop wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:08 pm

We have not 1 competent forward. We're playing 2, where we should play 1 and bring in an extra attacking midfielder.

This is where coaching makes a difference. Dalic gets 95% right. But the last 5% we as fans can often see...and he went with 2 older players and 2 bad forwards.

As always, margins.
Assuming old age caught up with Mario Mandžukić. That dude could create goals all by himself.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

1-1
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

I'm resorting to prayer.

1-1.

But I'm not confident.
gosh
Egg
Egg
Re: [WC 2022 R16] JAPAN (1) Vs CROATIA (1)

Post by gosh »

Croatia equalizes from header...1:1
Last edited by gosh on Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you are chasing is also chasing you!
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

I think the coq will sing for Japan today.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

:)
Saints baby we did it
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

King Futcha wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:16 pm

I was expecting someone to call that out. And on cue... :lol: :lol:
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

theDunamis wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:17 pm

I wouldn't have but I remember before the tournament he was saying the team is not old now he is calling people old so I had to.
Saints baby we did it
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

Uh oh. Isn’t that name a Serb? Are you going to blame the Serb now? How did he end up playing for Croatia? :taunt:
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Croatia, the hardest team to beat at this WC.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

I am actually working and watching this game but I took 10' to watch the game. When Japan loses the ball they chase Croatians all over but when Croatia loses the ball, Croatians just stroll around and don't put pressure the ball carrier.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

King Futcha wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:18 pm

I wouldn't have but I remember before the tournament he was saying the team is not old now he is calling people old so I had to.

Wrong. I was very specific who is and isn't old. 2 guys are older: Lovren and Perisic. They've up to now been a liability.

Otherwise it is fine. We have many young players starting: Juranovic, Gvardiol, Sosa, Barisic. Brozovic and Kovacic are in their prime.

Again, it comes down to small details...in this case the 2 I mentioned.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

@mate, I'd give an arm and leg for Perisic, battle tested, hardened veteran soldier. Only focused on what he needs to do to get the job done. Not a youngin that likes foot races and artful football.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

mate wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:23 pm
King Futcha wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:18 pm

Wrong. I was very specific who is and isn't old. 2 guys are older: Lovren and Perisic. They've up to now been a liability.

Otherwise it is fine. We have many young players starting: Juranovic, Gvardiol, Sosa, Barisic. Brozovic and Kovacic are in their prime.

Again, it comes down to small details...in this case the 2 I mentioned.
let me not provide a distraction from your game but please, i do not misquote people.
mate wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:34 am
It's funny because Croatia is not old.
Saints baby we did it
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Margins.

Budimir misses point blank header just now.

He's just not good enough. Not tactics. Not coaching.

The guy is a league player. It showed in that moment.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

mate wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:16 pm I'm resorting to prayer.

1-1.

But I'm not confident.
Perisic and Lovren heard you loudly and clearly :rotf:
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

green4life wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:31 pm
mate wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:16 pm I'm resorting to prayer.

1-1.

But I'm not confident.
Perisic and Lovren heard you loudly and clearly :rotf:
Lovren can suck it. Useless.