England is so overrated

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
England is so overrated

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Teams, they've met so far in the WC

Iran,
USA
Wales
Senegal Team B( No Mane, No Koyoute, No Gana , No Saar)

We will see how they play vs the French Team B( No Kante, No Pogba, NO Benzema, No Kimpebe, No Nkuku, NoHernadez)
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Aswani
Egg
Egg
Re: England is so overrated

Post by Aswani »

Stop it, they dispatched Senegal in decent fashion.

Unlike before when they had overhyped players, they now have good players to back up their talk. If they beat France, it won't be by luck.

Give credit where it is due, they are not favourites, but they knocked 6 past Iran, knocked Wales over in clinical fashion and a very good and hardworking US team held them to a stalemate.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

people need to separate the English media and the England team, they played in the world cup semi-finals in 2018 and finals in 2021, this year could be the year when they finally win it and why not?? one has to give credit where credit is due, they dispatched our African so-called champions, made them look like chumps, they have improved as a team, they have world class players in their ranks, what if kane hits top form now and tears Tottenham apart? why people think against France, England will lose why? England will create chances after chances, France might start as favorites due to the reigning champions status but all that will count for nothing once the referee blows that whistle, England might shock a few people
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:08 pm Teams, they've met so far in the WC

Iran,
USA
Wales
Senegal Team B( No Mane, No Koyoute, No Gana , No Saar)

We will see how they play vs the French Team B( No Kante, No Pogba, NO Benzema, No Kimpebe, No Nkuku, NoHernadez)
They are doing something RIGHT focusing on the TEAM rather than individual players. They got to WC SF in 2018. Got to EURO final in 2021. So they can claim to be among the best 4 teams in the world! They deserve some respect.

Gone are the days when the WAGS dominate the news whenever you talk about WC and England!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

see skills by BOufal
SuperEagles

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

The french team is more balanced this time around in comparison to the Euro 2021 team, i thought Benzema/ Mbappe combination does not really work, Giroud / Mbappe seems to work better
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

All the discussion over the France v England clash is about Mbappe facing Kyle Walker, and how Walker "did well" against him in the Champions League. Why is this what everyone is talking about? Has everyone forgotten that Mbappe can play on the right and through the middle? He played on the right in the last WC, terrorizing everyone he met. What a surprise it would be for England if they spend all their time preparing to deal with Mbappe on the left, and he lines up on the right, while Dembele lines up against Walker. :lol: It is a simple discombobulating move that I would employ if I were Deschamps. Will Walker then move over to the left to contain him? :biggrin:
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

marko wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:09 pm The french team is more balanced this time around in comparison to the Euro 2021 team, i thought Benzema/ Mbappe combination does not really work, Giroud / Mbappe seems to work better
I do not know about Mbappe/Benzema but Giroud has a very humble attitude. That is very good in team sports.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

ohsee wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:32 pm All the discussion over the France v England clash is about Mbappe facing Kyle Walker, and how Walker "did well" against him in the Champions League. Why is this what everyone is talking about? Has everyone forgotten that Mbappe can play on the right and through the middle? He played on the right in the last WC, terrorizing everyone he met. What a surprise it would be for England if they spend all their time preparing to deal with Mbappe on the left, and he lines up on the right, while Dembele lines up against Walker. :lol: It is a simple discombobulating move that I would employ if I were Deschamps. Will Walker then move over to the left to contain him? :biggrin:
Mbappe running at Shaw and Maguire on the left is a scary proposition that many English peeps especially Man Utd fans will understand. Average EPL wingers do it, why not Mbappe?? Me thinks they're just baiting the french into letting him face Walker.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Overratedly made it to the WC semis and finals of the Euros in recent years. If England are overrated, which indeed they are, what on Earth does that say of AFCON’s system for coronation? Senegal’s savage could easily be submitted as class A evidence in an abuse trial, securing a lengthy sentence and payout.

France should rightly dispatch them, but the manner in which they casually maintained their never lost to an African side at the WC, was almost “c” word.

Overrated, absolutely. Which is a tad better than being sh*t.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ohsee wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:32 pm All the discussion over the France v England clash is about Mbappe facing Kyle Walker, and how Walker "did well" against him in the Champions League. Why is this what everyone is talking about? Has everyone forgotten that Mbappe can play on the right and through the middle? He played on the right in the last WC, terrorizing everyone he met. What a surprise it would be for England if they spend all their time preparing to deal with Mbappe on the left, and he lines up on the right, while Dembele lines up against Walker. :lol: It is a simple discombobulating move that I would employ if I were Deschamps. Will Walker then move over to the left to contain him? :biggrin:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Oga Ohsee….you really think this is all Southgate and his players are doing?
Or is this just an ABEG feel good talking point?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Mazi, spot on. Walker’s elevation to Field Marshall is by no means a smokescreen, it’s part of a battle plan. If it’s no a back five, Saka and Hendeson will play to the left to ensure overcrowding and immediate engagement whenever the ball veers left.

Switching wings with Dembele, which would arguably put him in a more constructive as opposed to destructive role, would scramble the strategy. On the right side, Foden, Bellingham, Shaw, Maguire, is a lesser ordeal and likely, not the game plan.

Mbappe wouldn’t need to stay Arjen Robben wide, rather could operate in the half space ala Mo Salah. A subtle switch would be akin to machine guns at Waterloo but needless to say, much like Bonaparte, Deschamps doesn’t have the know how to outfox Wellington. The French will play straight into the hands of the English, blue coats reddened by the spill of claret.

Waterloo
I was defeated, you won the war
Waterloo
Promise to love you forevermore
Waterloo
Couldn't escape if I wanted to
Waterloo
Knowing my fate is to be with you
Wa-Wa-Wa-Wa-Waterloo
Finally facing my Waterloo.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Damunk, Admiral GWH Southgate will have plans aplenty for KM and Dembele, they’re different propositions, a switch would need a rethink. Fortunately, it’s highly unlikely. Both will be crowded out. Would imagine a mid to low block, sit back a tad, engage around the centre circle or just shy of and quick counters.

Foden or Rashford,Rashford or Foden, the space in behind will be the focal point. The aim with the back four would be Liverpool like with the front three, minus the aggressive gegenpress. Kane dropping and the primary attacking emphasis coming from Saka and Foden/Rashford quick counters. Off the ball, probably a five with the wide men a tad higher.

The lack of tracking back from Mbappe and Dembele is the route to glory. And it feels like gloooooooooor-reeeeee Loooooooooord, and it feels like, it’s in your heart now, let them know this, it’s in your now and it feels like….
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Coach wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:42 pm Overratedly made it to the WC semis and finals of the Euros in recent years. If England are overrated, which indeed they are, what on Earth does that say of AFCON’s system for coronation? Senegal’s savage could easily be submitted as class A evidence in an abuse trial, securing a lengthy sentence and payout.

France should rightly dispatch them, but the manner in which they casually maintained their never lost to an African side at the WC, was almost “c” word.

Overrated, absolutely. Which is a tad better than being sh*t.
yes matching u up against Panama, Tunisia, and a depleted Sweden . Lost to old men Belgium 2ce, lost to Croatia and won a PK vs Colombia. Do not make me pull up the Euro fixtures as well
SuperEagles

ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Damunk wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:41 am
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
No, I am just bringing up a Hingirish supporta talking point. :biggrin: Na una dey go on endlessly about how Walker will pocket Mbappe. :biggrin: :rotf: :biggrin: :rotf: We shall see. Many have tried to be "doing" something about Mbappe, but few have succeeded. :thumbs: :clap: Don't forget, a better England team worked on stopping Pele in 1970, and he started passing off the ball, leading to the winning goal. :idea: :idea: :biggrin:
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

ohsee wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:55 pm
No, I am just bringing up a Hingirish supporta talking point. :biggrin: Na una dey go on endlessly about how Walker will pocket Mbappe. :biggrin: :rotf: :biggrin: :rotf: We shall see. Many have tried to be "doing" something about Mbappe, but few have succeeded. :thumbs: :clap: Don't forget, a better England team worked on stopping Pele in 1970, and he started passing off the ball, leading to the winning goal. :idea: :idea: :biggrin:

That 1970 game should be required for all true football fans.

England was equal to even that storied Brazil team.

That was the LAST ever truly great England team, playing with a skill, swagger, and ease that would AMAZE modern fans.

I bet most guys here would watch that game and not believe it was actually England.

:D

England foolishly went the over coaching and athleticism route since. Rejecting individuality, improvisation, and serious ego. No inkling of Ginga, to their eternal demise.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

mate wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:40 pm

That was the LAST ever truly great England team, playing with a skill, swagger, and ease that would AMAZE modern fans.

I bet most guys here would watch that game and not believe it was actually England.

England foolishly went the over coaching and athleticism route since. Rejecting individuality, improvisation, and serious ego. No inkling of Ginga, to their eternal demise.
Oga mate, the greatest defender ever, ever, the greatest CD in my books is Sir Bobby Moore (na me knight am, I don't know why he was never knighted :mad: ) That fantastic defender stoned Pele and Jairzinho, stopping them stone cold a number of times when they ran at him in that 1970 WC game. Yes, I secretly admit that the English were justified in claiming that some of their players from that era were "the best in the world."
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Been thinking the exact same but Deschamps is a conservative man. I'm not expecting any surprises.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

ohsee wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:53 pm

Oga mate, the greatest defender ever, ever, the greatest CD in my books is Sir Bobby Moore (na me knight am, I don't know why he was never knighted :mad: ) That fantastic defender stoned Pele and Jairzinho, stopping them stone cold a number of times when they ran at him in that 1970 WC game. Yes, I secretly admit that the English were justified in claiming that some of their players from that era were "the best in the world."

It's a long story, but England treated Bobby Moore badly. Many of the English players from 1966-1970 never got the rewards they deserved.

England pioneered the tabloid and greed culture exploiting rather than promoting the most quality football.

I feel their NT has suffered forever from this.

Remember Glenn Hoddle? He was legitimately world class, but always criticized as soft and not running enough. Some people have no idea how bad England was in the 70s and 80s...withstanding ironically their clubs for a while having some wins...although they got their yanshes kicked against South American teams, who were the best during that time.

England needs to revamp their football school.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

The YeyeMan wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:01 pm
Been thinking the exact same but Deschamps is a conservative man. I'm not expecting any surprises.
I suspect that if Mbappe finds he can't dribble (people forget he is a more than decent dribbler) or outrun Walker, he will take it upon himself to move at least to the middle where he can terrorize Mistake Maguire or Calamity John. :lol: However, I think the French will have worked on countermeasures to deal with Walker marking Mbappe. People have talked about this enough, and if Deschamps plans to do nothing about it, it won't just be conservativism, na stupidity be dat.
tedder89
Egg
Egg

Post by tedder89 »

mate wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:03 pm

It's a long story, but England treated Bobby Moore badly. Many of the English players from 1966-1970 never got the rewards they deserved.

England pioneered the tabloid and greed culture exploiting rather than promoting the most quality football.

Remember Glenn Hoddle? He was legitimately world class, but always criticized as soft and not running enough. Some people have no idea how bad England was in the 70s and 80s...withstanding ironically their clubs for a while having some wins...although they got their yanshes kicked against South American teams, who were the best during that time.

I completely agree that England were rubbish circa 70s/80s/90s/00s but the once valid criticism that they aren’t producing quality youngsters is dated and frankly intellectually lazy.

They won BOTH the U17 and U21 world cups in 2017 after completely revamping their youth approach with the help of the EPL clubs

This generation of England players were not produced via magic….
Last edited by tedder89 on Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
IN OUR CASE, THERE IS NO TIME. NO SERIOUS COACH WILL TAKE THIS JOB

Pasamu on Monday Feb 22nd 2010 post ANC- I will repeat again, the problem with our team was never ability or personnel or even tactics . It was confidence pure and simple confidence. Amodus team had been spat upon, anything they did was dismissed as insignificant To see the team going from playing brilliant football against Egypt in the first half of their ANC group game to the cautious fear laden play against Zambia was sad.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

tedder89 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:25 pm
mate wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:03 pm

I completely agree that England were rubbish circa 70s/80s/90s/00s but the valid criticism that they aren’t producing quality youngsters is dated and frankly intellectually lazy.

They won BOTH the U17 and U21 world cups in 2017 after completely revamping their youth approach with the help of the EPL clubs

This generation of England players were not produced via magic….

On the contrary, many of us have dissected and contextualized England on CE. And the point stands: yes, while acknowledging improvement, England are still a tier under France, Brazil, Portugal, really any tier 1 power of the moment.

England is not tier 1. And won't be until it improves its football school. I'll believe it when I see it...when they can command a game against a tier 1 team...which I don't recall off the top of my head when I last saw.