[WC 2022 R16] MOROCCO 0(3) SPAIN 0(0) PKs Morocco advances to the Quarter finals!!!!

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

joplass
Egg
Egg
Re: [WC 2022 R16] MOROCCO 0(3) SPAIN 0(0) PKs Morocco advances to the Quarter finals!!!!

Post by joplass »

green4life wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:14 pm
Sleaky72 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:13 pm
chamforna wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:08 pm BeIN sports are now talking in terms of a Muslim team.......
There we go …
Predictable. It's just getting warmed up :rotf:
If Morocco wins the WC, CAF what?
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
Donzman
Egg
Egg
Re: [WC 2022 R16] MOROCCO 0(3) SPAIN 0(0) PKs Morocco advances to the Quarter finals!!!!

Post by Donzman »

AreaDaddy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:18 pm There are Moroccans players right now celebrating with the Berber flag, those players do not consider themselves Arab.

Morocco in this cup will represent many things, African, Arab, Berber, Muslim, non top tier and will cheered on by many.

As we say success has many fathers..
Thank you.

You have explained it much better than I could.
GREENWHITEGREEN
Egg
Egg

Post by GREENWHITEGREEN »

AreaDaddy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:18 pm
Donzman wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:12 pm
Kabalega wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:09 pm
Donzman wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:02 pm
Sleaky72 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:57 pm Is it an accident or is there something to the fact that commentators keep saying the Arab world and not the African world are celebrating Morocco’s success?

Wonder whether those North African nations consider themselves more Arabian than African
They are both.
Morocco consider themselves Arab first, European next and African only when convenient.
Even their 2010 Africa World Cup bid was declined for being unAfrican.
I do not think this is a debate we want to have, but there are some who consider themselves African and others consider themselves Arab, and others consider both.

They also play in CAF so is an African Federation. :source:
There are Moroccans players right now celebrating with the Berber flag, those players do not consider themselves Arab.

Morocco in this cup will represent many things, African, Arab, Berber, Muslim, non top tier and will cheered on by many.

As we say success has many fathers..
I have a very good friend of almost 20 years who is Berber. I am familiar with the history :winking: She was not even confident that they would qualify from the group.
-Simpli fy -
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Sleaky72 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:57 pm Is it an accident or is there something to the fact that commentators keep saying the Arab world and not the African world are celebrating Morocco’s success?

Wonder whether those North African nations consider themselves more Arabian than African
They are both.
Morocco consider themselves Arab first, European next and African only when convenient.
I do not think this is a debate we want to have, but there are some who consider themselves African and others consider themselves Arab, and others consider both.

They also play in CAF so is an African Federation.
They are African...and whatever else they want to be.

But 1st and foremost...they are MOROCCO!!!

Big statement today.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

Sleaky72 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:16 pm
Kabalega wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:16 pm

They are both.

:lol: :lol: Sounds like chasing a woman who doesn’t care that much for you…. :)

Boom!!
I don't understand this at all. You guys do know that being Arab and African are not mutually exclusive right? Any more than being Yoruba and African is mutually exclusive. Just because "they feel" Arab (whatever that means) doesn't make them any less African. Arab is ethniticiy/culture that spans multiple region of the world and the fact shows that Morocco is a country inside of the African continent. End of!
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Moroccans are not arabs, they are North Africans. They'd stone you if you call them arabs especially the ones speaking Berber and not Arabic. They were conquered by arabs and anyone of them considering themselves arabs are just products of arabisation (if that's a word). None the less, they are Africans.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Best African performance since Cameroon 1990 (possibly Nigeria 1994, but Nigeria went out earlier, despite playing dominant football).
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

marutimon wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:33 pm Best African performance since Cameroon 1990 (possibly Nigeria 1994, but Nigeria went out earlier, despite playing dominant football).
What about Ghana and Senegal QF?
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

SylverEagles wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:30 pm

They are both.

Boom!!
I don't understand this at all. You guys do know that being Arab and African are not mutually exclusive right? Any more than being Yoruba and African is mutually exclusive. Just because "they feel" Arab (whatever that means) doesn't make them any less African. Arab is ethniticiy/culture that spans multiple region of the world and the fact shows that Morocco is a country inside of the African continent. End of!
Chief I’m not claiming any expertise but just seeking information from those who are more informed.
But when you hear words like this is a great day for the Arab world rather than Africa, from supposedly informed sources then it leads to questions.

My whole thing is why identify with people who don’t want to be identified with you?
Not saying that is the case with Morocco.
But my maternal side suffered greatly under Franco.
They only claim to be Spanish when La Roja is playing, and mainly when they are winning :blushing: :blushing:

Other than that they would stone you calling them a part of Franco’s empire…
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

fabio wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:35 pm
marutimon wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:33 pm Best African performance since Cameroon 1990 (possibly Nigeria 1994, but Nigeria went out earlier, despite playing dominant football).
Ghana didn't win group. And had relatively easy opponents apart from Germany. Morocco best Belgium, world nr 2, now Spain, won their group and played an even match with 2018 finalists.

Senegal beat France, but apart from that weren't really impressive.

In terms of quality of football I put them ahead of Senegal and Ghana. Ghana is the closest any African team has been to a semifinal though.

Nigeria 1994 and Cameroon 1990 are my top teams, because they played like equals against the best teams in the world and outplayed them.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

One football self-anointed expert will conveniently forget when this coach took over.

Let me remind him that the coach took over on the 31st of August after winning the African champions league in May.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

fabio wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:35 pm
ghana no count
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

This is Africa's best ever world cup showing
All teams have wins
Only one team was 4th in group
Two were third (and could have been 2nd)
One was second and one won the group
2 made it to round of 16
One made it to QF

---so far!!!

This is a great achievement for a continent that is naive and can't play football
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Cellular wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:45 pm One football self-anointed expert will conveniently forget when this coach took over.

Let me remind him that the coach took over on the 31st of August after winning the African champions league in May.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
GREENWHITEGREEN
Egg
Egg

Post by GREENWHITEGREEN »

They are both.

KPOM. I am not worried about what they consider themselves and I am pretty sure they are not concerned with what we call ourselves.
-Simpli fy -
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Cellular wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:45 pm One football self-anointed expert will conveniently forget when this coach took over.

:taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

Una sabi find trouble sha
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

SylverEagles wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:30 pm

They are both.

Boom!!
Kinda right but an oversimplification.

From Wikipedia - Moroccans are primarily of Arab and Berber origin as in other neighbouring countries in the Maghreb.[3][4][1] Arabs make up 44% of the population of Morocco, Arabized Berbers make up 24%, Berbers make up 21%, the Baydhan make up 10%, and others make up 1%.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Morocco

I suspect the Arabs referred to here are Bedouins.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

fabio wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:10 pm
ohsee wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:06 pm
wanaj0 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:58 pm
Kabalega wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:55 pm I cannot believe how bad Spao and Japan are at penalties.
Spain was NOT bad at penalties. Give credit to the Moroccan keeper. He failed to commit himself. He was calm and composed.
My bros, Bono knows all those Spanish players. :lol: He plays in La Liga for Sevilla. His entire decade-long career has been in La Liga, playing for five Spanish clubs. :biggrin: I am sure the penarity takers knew it, and it contributed to their inability to score. But yes, Bono is excellent. And most importantly, a team that depends on defending MUST practice penalty kicks rigorously. Which the evidence suggests the Moroccans did. :thumbs: :thumbs:
No. They picked their penalty kickers at the huddle after the FT, according to someone here. They just called out names and they response was YES SIR.
Chief, that they picked guys at the huddle does not mean that the team did not practice PKs rigorously in training. It is possible that they had already picked the guys beforehand, or that most of the team was good at PKs in practice.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

felarey wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:32 pm Moroccans are not arabs, they are North Africans. They'd stone you if you call them arabs especially the ones speaking Berber and not Arabic. They were conquered by arabs and anyone of them considering themselves arabs are just products of arabisation (if that's a word). None the less, they are Africans.
Once again, you have shown that you travel wide and read widely. :clap:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Why you dey always find TxJ trouble? Uncle, in some quarters, they will call you Agbaya. But you are our Uncle, and we respect our Uncle in our culture. So we will just call you, Uncle. :D
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

AreaDaddy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:55 pm
smallpikin wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:52 pm I see this Morocco making it to the semis
So do I.
Chief, they may be tired after this game and won't be able to chase the ball like they did with Spain. Anyway, here I go again doubting them. I wish them semis and better, final.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

ohsee wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:07 pm
fabio wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:10 pm
ohsee wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:06 pm
wanaj0 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:58 pm
Kabalega wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:55 pm I cannot believe how bad Spao and Japan are at penalties.
Spain was NOT bad at penalties. Give credit to the Moroccan keeper. He failed to commit himself. He was calm and composed.
My bros, Bono knows all those Spanish players. :lol: He plays in La Liga for Sevilla. His entire decade-long career has been in La Liga, playing for five Spanish clubs. :biggrin: I am sure the penarity takers knew it, and it contributed to their inability to score. But yes, Bono is excellent. And most importantly, a team that depends on defending MUST practice penalty kicks rigorously. Which the evidence suggests the Moroccans did. :thumbs: :thumbs:
No. They picked their penalty kickers at the huddle after the FT, according to someone here. They just called out names and they response was YES SIR.
Chief, that they picked guys at the huddle does not mean that the team did not practice PKs rigorously in training. It is possible that they had already picked the guys beforehand, or that most of the team was good at PKs in practice.
Sorry fabio, I just realized you were being ironic. I am still too excited by this Morocco win that has scrambled my okongwu brain. :biggrin:
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

danfo driver wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:23 pm

Why you dey always find TxJ trouble? Uncle, in some quarters, they will call you Agbaya. But you are our Uncle, and we respect our Uncle in our culture. So we will just call you, Uncle. :D
:biggrin:
Chief, na txj dey find awa trouble, abusing his seniors and betters anyhow. Das why we konk him on top head every now and then to remind him to show respect. :biggrin: