Well Known Soccer Journalist Dies ,@ Game

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Well Known Soccer Journalist Dies ,@ Game

Post by Man Ataye »

Menu
ESPN
SCORES
U.S. soccer journalist Grant Wahl dies at 48 in Qatar
play
U.S. soccer journalist Grant Wahl dies at 48 in Qatar (1:27)
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Email
11:53 PM AST
ESPN News Services
Grant Wahl, one of the most well-known soccer writers in the United States, died early Saturday while covering the World Cup match between Argentina and the Netherlands in Qatar. He was 48.

US media seated near him said Wahl fell back in his seat in the press box at Lusail Iconic Stadium during extra time and reporters adjacent to him called for assistance. Emergency services workers responded very quickly, the reporters said, and they were later were told that Wahl had died.

"He received immediate emergency medical treatment on site, which continued as he was transferred by ambulance to Hamad General Hospital," the World Cup organizing committee said in a statement, which did not list a cause of death. "We are in touch with the US Embassy and relevant local authorities to ensure the process of repatriating the body is in accordance with the family's wishes."

Wahl was covering his eighth World Cup. He wrote Monday on his website that he had visited a medical clinic in Qatar.

"My body finally broke down on me. Three weeks of little sleep, high stress and lots of work can do that to you," Wahl wrote. "What had been a cold over the last 10 days turned into something more severe on the night of the USA-Netherlands game, and I could feel my upper chest take on a new level of pressure and discomfort.

"I didn't have Covid (I test regularly here), but I went into the medical clinic at the main media center today, and they said I probably have bronchitis. They gave me a course of antibiotics and some heavy-duty cough syrup, and I'm already feeling a bit better just a few hours later. But still: No bueno."

On his podcast Thursday, Wahl said he had a case of bronchitis and visited the medical clinic again.

"I basically canceled everything on this Thursday that I had, and napped and I'm doing slightly better that you can probably tell in my voice that I'm not at it at 100 percent here," he said. "Hopefully I will not cough during this podcast. I'm coughing a lot. Everyone's coughing here in like this is by no means limited to me like so many journalists have got a crazy cough. It sounds like a death rattle sometimes.

"The only thing that's surprising to me actually is there isn't that much COVID here. I thought there might be a real issue with that. We're not really seeing COVID cases. We're just seeing a lot of general sickness, coughing, colds, and I can't wait to be on the other side of what I have. But I am going to be ready to go. I'm attending on Friday."

During the World Cup, Wahl drew international attention after saying he was briefly stopped from attending the US match against Wales on Nov. 21 for wearing a rainbow-colored T-shirt in support of those who identify as LGBTQIA+, as their rights are criminalized in Qatar, a conservative Muslim nation.

Wahl wrote he was detained for 25 minutes at Ahmed Bin Ali Stadium in Al Rayyan, then was let go by a security commander. Wahl said FIFA apologized to him.

A 1996 graduate of Princeton, Wahl worked for Sports Illustrated from 1996 to 2021, known primarily for his coverage of soccer and college basketball. He then launched his own website. Wahl also worked for Fox Sports from 2012 to 2019.

He is survived by his wife, Dr. Celine Gounder, clinical associate professor of medicine at New York University School of Medicine, attending physician at Bellevue Hospital Center and CBS News medical news contributor.

Gounder tweeted Friday night that she was in "complete shock" and thanked everyone for their support of her husband.

US State Department spokesperson Ned Price said in a tweet that the US is "engaged with senior Qatari officials to see to it that his family's wishes are fulfilled as expeditiously as possible."

Sports Illustrated released a statement through co-editors in chief Ryan Hunt and Stephen Cannella that said they were "shocked and devastated at the news of Grant's passing."

"We were proud to call him a colleague and friend for two decades -- no writer in the history of SI has been more passionate about the sport he loved and the stories he wanted to tell," the statement read. "Our hearts go out to Celine and his family, as well as everyone who loved his work. He will always be part of the SI family."

Among Wahl's work at Sports Illustrated was the famous "The Chosen One" cover story about LeBron James in 2002, when James was a junior at St. Vincent-St. Mary High in Akron, Ohio.

"He was always pretty cool to be around. He spent a lot of time in my hometown of Akron," James said in Philadelphia after the Los Angeles Lakers lost in overtime to the 76ers. "Any time his name would come up, I'll always think back to me as a teenager having Grant in our building down at St. V's. It's a tragic loss. It's unfortunate to lose someone as great as he was. I wish his family the best. May he rest in paradise."

U.S. Soccer also released a statement Friday night, saying they were "heartbroken" to learn of Wahl's death.

U.S. Soccer Statement On The Passing Of Grant Wahl: pic.twitter.com/CBp1mCK1mQ

— U.S. Soccer (@ussoccer) December 10, 2022
A voter at times in FIFA's annual awards, Wahl had been among 82 journalists honored by FIFA and the international sports press association AIPS for attending eight or more World Cups.

"Only some days ago, Grant was recognised by FIFA and AIPS for his contribution to reporting on eight consecutive FIFA World Cups, and his career also included attendance at several FIFA Women's World Cups, as well as a host of other international sporting events," FIFA president Gianni Infantino said. "His love for football was immense and his reporting will be missed by all who follow the global game."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Email
Terms of UsePrivacy PolicyYour US State Privacy RightsChildren's Online Privacy PolicyInterest-Based AdsAbout Nielsen MeasurementDo Not Sell or Share My Personal InformationContact UsDisney Ad Sales SiteWork for ESPN
Copyright: © ESPN Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved.
Lionel Messi says Netherlands coach Van Gaal 'disrespected' him before Argentina World Cup win
play
Echegaray: Messi's assist one of the best I've ever seen (2:04)
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Email
8:55 PM AST
ESPN
Lionel Messi said he felt "disrespected" by Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal and blasted the referee after Argentina beat the Dutch 4-3 on penalties in a thrilling World Cup quarterfinal at Lusail Iconic Stadium in Qatar on Friday.

Messi assisted Argentina's first goal for Nahuel Molina and then scored a second from the penalty spot as Argentina took a seemingly commanding 2-0 lead in the 73rd minute.

- Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, more (U.S.)

But two late goals from Dutch substitute Wout Weghorst, the second off the back of a free kick in the 11th minute of stoppage time, sent the match to extra time and eventually a penalty shootout.

The contest, though, got increasingly heated. At one point Leandro Paredes blasted the ball in the direction of the Netherlands bench before Dutch captain Virgil van Dijk responded by knocking Paredes to the ground.

After his goal, Messi directed a celebration toward the Dutch coaching staff and then confronted Van Gaal after the match.

"I feel disrespected by Van Gaal after his pregame comments and some Dutch players spoke too much during the game," Messi told reporters.

Lionel Messi had words with Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal after their World Cup quarterfinal. Peter Byrne/PA Images via Getty Images
Van Gaal had suggested ahead of the quarterfinal that Messi did little to help his team when they don't have the ball.

"Van Gaal sells that he plays good football and then he puts forwards in the box and starts throwing long balls," Messi said of Van Gaal's tactics. "We deserved to go through and that's what happened."

Goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez, who was the hero for Argentina in the shootout by saving the Netherlands' first two efforts from Van Dijk and Steven Berghuis, similarly had strong words for Van Gaal.

"I heard Van Gaal saying 'we've got an advantage on penalties, if we go to penalties we win,'" Martinez said. "I think he needs to keep his mouth shut."

- Ogden: World Cup better for Messi ensuring Argentina didn't implode

Both players were also fiercely critical of the performance from Spanish referee Antonio Mateu Lahoz.

"I don't want to talk about the referee because you can't be honest," Messi told Argentine TV.

"If you talk they sanction you; FIFA must think about it, they can't put a referee who isn't up to the task for these instances."

WORLD CUP QUARTERFINALS
Fri Croatia 1-1 Brazil (pens 4-2)
Fri Netherlands 2-2 Argentina (pens 3-4)
Sat Morocco vs. Portugal 10 a.m. ET
Sat England vs. France 2 p.m. ET
10 a.m. ET = 3 p.m. GMT
2 p.m. ET = 7 p.m. GMT
Added Martinez: "I thought we controlled the game really well. We went 2-0 up but the ref started to give everything to them.

"All of a sudden a good header for them and all turned upside down. The ref added 10 minutes for no reason.

"He gave free kicks outside the box for them two, three times. He just wanted them to score, that's basically it, so hopefully we don't have that ref anymore. He's useless."

Argentina's win puts them through to their fifth World Cup semifinal and second in the past three tournaments, where they will take on Brazil's conquerors Croatia.

"We didn't expect to go to extra time, let alone to penalties," Messi said. "We suffered, but we are playing a World Cup quarterfinal.

"Argentina shows game by game that we know how to play. We came out with intensity and desire and we understood the moments of the game.

"We needed this and we are happy the whole country is celebrating now. [Martinez] once again showed that he's the best saving penalties.

"Croatia is a great team. They move the ball very well, they have been working together for a long time, it will be very hard."
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Well Known Soccer Journalist Dies ,@ Game

Post by Man Ataye »

The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Well Known Soccer Journalist Dies ,@ Game

Post by mcal »

...wow, I was shocked when I saw this news on my feed.
The guy knows soccer and how to spread the beautiful game news here in the US to Americans.
They said he had massive heart attack, wow, such a young guy, only 48 yrs old.
We go to continually monitor our health regularly. A great loss.