Morocco - Best African team ever.

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: Morocco - Best African team ever.

Post by Tobi17 »

Give me making the world cup semi final (and potentially winning it as an African team), I'll take that over ten AFCON trophy wins any day! So yes Morocco is currently the best team in Africa, they are easily going to win the next AFCON to ice the cake.
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

This Morocco team is the most successful African team at the WC but not the best team ever. Anyways, it’s good an African team has finally made the WC SF. Historic.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

mate wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:21 pm
marko wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:19 pm Morocco has surpassed anything in African football, so organised and disciplines, they did not give Spain, Portugal a sniff, they were reduced to pot shots and trial and error, if I was the Portuguese coach, I would told them in the 2nd half to allow Morocco on the ball and hit them on the break
100% agree.

Quantity, quality, achievement.

Plus, to my eye test, the Morocco Atlas Lions are the real deal.

They will give any team in the final a torrid time. They are capable of going to the final.
hope they have inspired a new breed of African football all, we need the discipline and tactical organization of the moroccans! I will expect to see their coach get good offers in Europe, Nigeria might make a move for him, he should never go there!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Heliopolis wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:26 pm This Morocco team is the most successful African team at the WC but not the best team ever. Anyways, it’s good an African team has finally made the WC SF. Historic.
It is our Eurocentric way of looking at things. See someone saying they will take a semi finals over 10 Afcon titles :rotf:
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Heliopolis wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:26 pm This Morocco team is the most successful African team at the WC but not the best team ever. Anyways, it’s good an African team has finally made the WC SF. Historic.

This can be a never ending debate.

:)

But this is one case where the 2 pretty much intersect fully: most successful and best.

The quality of their run confirms it for me. I've never seen any African team maintain such a high level against so many quality opponents in a WC deep run...this one being the deepest of all.

Time will tell if Morocco can cement this legacy by continuing to succeed.

Marathon and not sprint.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

If they make it to the finals, I will revise my thinking, for now the most remarkable thing an African Nt has done is what Egypt did winning 3 back to back Afcons
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

airwolex wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:36 pm If they make it to the finals, I will revise my thinking, for now the most remarkable thing an African Nt has done is what Egypt did winning 3 back to back Afcons
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: you just dey wure us today oooo
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Chief, they are the best at this WC. But that shouldn’t make them the best ever. There have been many African teams at the QF stage before. Senegal, Cameroon and Ghana have all been there. Is it definitive that this Moroccan team is better than those teams? I say no. The only difference is the bounces went their way. All the previous teams came really close in the QF matches they played. But even those teams aren’t considered the best African team ever. So why should this Morocco team be given that title?

Besides, being the greatest team ever from Africa should be measured with criteria like longevity, trophies won and so on. A run to the semi final of the WC should be just one criteria.

All this being said, if Morocco does win the WC, there’ll be no doubt that they are the best team ever to come out of CAF.
hestonap wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:42 pm
YUJAM wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:07 pm No. They aren’t. They’ve done well but saying they are the best team ever is hyperbole.
uncle,

I know you love for African football, teams etc, in your opinion which was and is the best ever African side. I truly am interested in your opinion and why you think they are better than this Moroccan side.

I speak as a Nigerian and with all my biases. In my opinion and as much as it pains me to admit it, at the WC level the Ghanians, Senegalese and Cameroonians have achieved better than we have and now the Moroccans have surpassed them all taking this stuff to a different level.

So pray brother, seriously, which is the best African side in your opinion?
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Defense wins championships. That’s all I will say.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

let us be honest, no hate,, Morocco is a lucky team, 2ce they were lucky vs Spain,( last min Spain hit the bar) Today Portugal hit the bar

now lets go back to 1990, Les lions lost to England, by giving away two pathetic PKs.

Senegal lost to Turkey via the golden goal in ET

and ghana with that dancing ajasco gyan , couldn't score a last min PK and lost out on PKs

when you are lucky , you are lucky.

The Atlas lions haven't played the best football, but my goodness they may be the best park the bus team to ever come out of AFRICA

I am supporting them 100% because i am AFRICAN, i am tired of hearing no African team has made the semis, or Africans are naïve defensively
SuperEagles

hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

YUJAM wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:40 pm Chief, they are the best at this WC. But that shouldn’t make them the best ever. There have been many African teams at the QF stage before. Senegal, Cameroon and Ghana have all been there. Is it definitive that this Moroccan team is better than those teams? I say no. The only difference is the bounces went their way. All the previous teams came really close in the QF matches they played. But even those teams aren’t considered the best African team ever. So why should this Morocco team be given that title?

Besides, being the greatest team ever from Africa should be measured with criteria like longevity, trophies won and so on. A run to the semi final of the WC should be just one criteria.

All this being said, if Morocco does win the WC, there’ll be no doubt that they are the best team ever to come out of CAF.
hestonap wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:42 pm
YUJAM wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:07 pm No. They aren’t. They’ve done well but saying they are the best team ever is hyperbole.
uncle,

I know you love for African football, teams etc, in your opinion which was and is the best ever African side. I truly am interested in your opinion and why you think they are better than this Moroccan side.

I speak as a Nigerian and with all my biases. In my opinion and as much as it pains me to admit it, at the WC level the Ghanians, Senegalese and Cameroonians have achieved better than we have and now the Moroccans have surpassed them all taking this stuff to a different level.

So pray brother, seriously, which is the best African side in your opinion?
I hear your comment about trophies, longevity etc. Those are sound points that can't be dismissed. Years before Nigeria was able to make it to the world stage and only 2 teams could qualify from the continent, Morocco was dismantling Portugal and holding their own against England. I still remember Zaki in his iconic blue and white goalkeeping stripes as a junior student in high school in 1986 and a motivation for paying goal rather than outfield I digress, I remember th great Merry Krimau amongst other..I am saying they have some pedigree at this level and are not aJohnny just come.

Undoubtedly, they have not won much at the continental level, the next few years will be interesting.

I do not want to downplay the luck factor...but the comment about the bounces going their way is unfair. You don't get to dispatch the Belgians, Spanish and Portuguese while holding your own against a very good Croatian side solely or indeed principally on the basis of luck...this is a very drilled side.

As a Nigerian what can we learn - at the coaching man power level I guess pull our best resources together. It's a shame of the class of 94, only Keshi got to do it properly at the senior level as par coaching. Siasia to some degree but off the field antics limited what he could have become. Oliseh, I had high hopes for but his mentality and man management remains questionable. Egu ?...well I guess we didn't allow him time in 06 and brought him in for a rushed job earlier in the year and when did he last coach. I am not sure what he had done to equip himself as a coach in the intervening years.

It will interesting to see if the Findi and Amuneke ever get given the mantle.

At the organizational level - I believe this is where we will continue to struggle. There is no plan, we have no visionaries. For all my dislike of Pinnick, I kinda saw what he was trying to do in getting the best of Nigerian diaspora players in the team, but his lack of tact and terrible choice in a mental midget of Rohr invariably proved a handicap.

Above all, our football league is just meh to put it politely. There is only so much of stealing from the diaper we can do...we need to do stuff at home that allows for talent to rise.

Anyway, we will have to agree to disagree about this Moroccan team. I believe we both dream that they pull off the seemingly impossible.

For now lets turn our focus and energy to cheering for the defeat of the common St George's foe.
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

Cameroon 90 was the best African team ever. #2 was Senegal #2002 and #3 was Naija '94-, #4 is Morocco 2022.
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

jette1 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:33 pm Nigeria actually produced the best African team ever - even the bench was star studded and couldn’t even get a foot in
Best is measured by outcome
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

akamoke wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:39 pm
jette1 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:33 pm Nigeria actually produced the best African team ever - even the bench was star studded and couldn’t even get a foot in
Best is measured by outcome
These are opinions, you cannot state because one team made it to the semis, they are the best ever . It doesn't work that way

Would you pay money as a neutral to watch Cameroon of 1990, Nigeria of 1994 or Morocco of 2022?

Winning the world-cup is the ultimate goal... all the rest are moral victories . The best African team today is the AFCON champs . Egypt missed the WCup via PKs, but they defeated this Moroccan team in AFCON 9-10 months ago
SuperEagles

kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Field Marshall Ogolo wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:20 pm
Cameroon 90 was the best African team ever. #2 was Senegal #2002 and #3 was Naija '94-, #4 is Morocco 2022.
Ghana 2010.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

… The most successful ever in the World Cup, certainly. I don’t know if that equates to the best African team ever. Africa, contrary to uninformed but popular opinion, has had some pretty eye-catching teams in the World Cup over the years. Algeria, Tunisia Cameroon, Nigeria and Senegal. In 2010, Ghana was less than one hair's breadth away from the semifinals of the World Cup. If they had gone through, would you have concluded that they were the best African team ever❓🤔❗️

Cheers.
wazobia
Egg
Egg

Post by wazobia »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:59 pm let us be honest, no hate,, Morocco is a lucky team, 2ce they were lucky vs Spain,( last min Spain hit the bar) Today Portugal hit the bar

now lets go back to 1990, Les lions lost to England, by giving away two pathetic PKs.

and ghana with that dancing ajasco gyan , couldn't score a last min PK and lost out on PKs

The Atlas lions haven't played the best football, but my goodness they may be the best park the bus team to ever come out of AFRICA

I am supporting them 100% because i am AFRICAN, i am tired of hearing no African team has made the semis, or Africans are naïve defensively
:agree:
WOWO = ONO (oh no!) = OBO

WOWO 'We only want Oyinbo'

ONO 'Oyinbo na Oyinbo'

OBO 'Oyinbo be Oyinbo'
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

It's what's on the field that counts not on paper. Belgium was #3, n now they are skinny dipping in the English channel.
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:59 pm let us be honest, no hate,, Morocco is a lucky team, 2ce they were lucky vs Spain,( last min Spain hit the bar) Today Portugal hit the bar

HORSE MANURE. Get with it. Luck doesn't take u to the semis. This is the best Africa has done. Accept it stop making excuses n living the past. Those teams f r om b4 should have done it. They didn't. Atlas Lions did. Accept it. Geez. Wonder what post u would have made if all 5 were in the airport with boarding passes after round 1. Get rest man. I can't wait 4 them to win it all, then u will open a thread on bribery or witch craft.
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
goke313
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by goke313 »

Well deserved…unlike Nigerians who choose to be called Greek Freak, ride bench for England…these Moroccans could’ve easily played for Spain
We may not have the best facilities, luxury accommodations but there’s no price for patriotism.
goke313
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by goke313 »

Which Nigerian player(past or present) is better than Hakimi?
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

A Nigerian coach would not make it out of the stadium playing 25% possession counterattacks with 3 shots on goal talk less of being called good no matter the result.
Morocco is playing advanced African "smash and grab" football perfected by many clubsides and also used to inflict trauma in yon ancient days of the ANC championship.
Last edited by Kneedeep on Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Advocating rational thought since 1987
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

No contest. History makers.