Morocco celebrates after defeating Cristiano Ronaldo, Portugal 1-0 in the 2022 FIFA World Cup (video)

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Morocco celebrates after defeating Cristiano Ronaldo, Portugal 1-0 in the 2022 FIFA World Cup (video)

Post by danfo driver »

I understand that a man has the right to be sad. However, as a captain, Ronaldo is such a terrible leader. Forgetting what he did at United. Your team lost, a lot of the young players are sad and you walk off the pitch so you can go and cry in the dressing room. Nothing wrong in a man going to cry or leaving the pitch-- BUT EVERYTHING wrong in a captain doing it. I am sorry, as a captain, your personal feelings are irrelevant when compared to that of your troops.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Morocco celebrates after defeating Cristiano Ronaldo, Portugal 1-0 in the 2022 FIFA World Cup (video)

Post by wanaj0 »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:10 am I understand that a man has the right to be sad. However, as a captain, Ronaldo is such a terrible leader. Forgetting what he did at United. Your team lost, a lot of the young players are sad and you walk off the pitch so you can go and cry in the dressing room. Nothing wrong in a man going to cry or leaving the pitch-- BUT EVERYTHING wrong in a captain doing it. I am sorry, as a captain, your personal feelings are irrelevant when compared to that of your troops.
In a team sport, LEADERSHIP is important.

BIG BOSS was a leader. Nigeria need a leader for the SE.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

wanaj0 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:40 am
danfo driver wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:10 am I understand that a man has the right to be sad. However, as a captain, Ronaldo is such a terrible leader. Forgetting what he did at United. Your team lost, a lot of the young players are sad and you walk off the pitch so you can go and cry in the dressing room. Nothing wrong in a man going to cry or leaving the pitch-- BUT EVERYTHING wrong in a captain doing it. I am sorry, as a captain, your personal feelings are irrelevant when compared to that of your troops.

Chief, we need many things and it does not look like we will get them anytime soon.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

ohsee wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:44 am

Chief, we need many things and it does not look like we will get them anytime soon.
You are so right. Many things missing but NONE is rocket science. With some seriousness we can turn things around.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

wanaj0 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:46 am

You are so right. Many things missing but NONE is rocket science. With some seriousness we can turn things around.
True.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

But at the same time i dont blame the guy.

Last 2 games Portugal signalled that they no longer need him and are better off with him on the bench, and indeed they benched him and even started twerking after that 6-1 win over Switzerland, they thought they had cracked the code.

Its only when they were 1-0 down to Morocco and out of ideas that they suddenly remembered they might actually do with Ronaldo.
Game was already gone then, Morocco were dug in well swatting everything aside.

They just need to move on the way they did when they launched him onto the bench, i don't blame him for leaving at once, his international career was already over before this game and it ended in a very sad way for him.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

benteke wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:27 am

Last 2 games Portugal signalled that they no longer need him and are better off with him on the bench, and indeed they benched him and even started twerking after that 6-1 win over Switzerland, they thought they had cracked the code.

Its only when they were 1-0 down to Morocco and out of ideas that they suddenly remembered they might actually do with Ronaldo.

They just need to move on the way they did when they launched him onto the bench, i don't blame him for leaving at once, his international career was already over before this game and it ended in a very sad way for him.

Your post seems to imply he could have done something had he started this game. That is neither a guarantee nor is it a likelihood given what we have seen from him in the last year or two for club and country.

He offered Portugal less than he could and should have. At the twilight of his career -- international and club -- he has chosen not to understand what he brings to the table can be, should be, must be more than his top-notch but waning abilities. That his experience, leadership, star power and emphasizing team over Ronaldo were and are a combination of things he can uniquely offer at this time to continue thriving.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

theDunamis wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:07 am

Your post seems to imply he could have done something had he started this game. That is neither a guarantee nor is it a likelihood given what we have seen from him in the last year or two for club and country.

He offered Portugal less than he could and should have. At the twilight of his career -- international and club -- he has chosen not to understand what he brings to the table can be, should be, must be more than his top-notch but waning abilities. That his experience, leadership, star power and emphasizing team over Ronaldo were and are a combination of things he can uniquely offer at this time to continue thriving.
What i am suggesting there is that it's been clear especially in the last game that Ronaldo is now a peripheral figure in the Portugal team.
And that's not bad idea for them, they need to stick to that.
I don't expect him to play any significant role in the Portugal team going forward, apart from being a magnet for unnecessary media focus which is usually a distraction.

And at the same time i don't blame him too much for leaving, i don't see what he can offer going forward, maybe he also realises that.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

benteke wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:57 amWhat i am suggesting there is that it's been clear especially in the last game that Ronaldo is now a peripheral figure in the Portugal team.
I don't expect him to play any significant role in the Portugal team going forward, apart from being a magnet for unnecessary media focus which is usually a distraction.

And at the same time i don't blame him too much for leaving, i don't see what he can offer going forward, maybe he also realises that.

And what I am saying is there is a much better way to leave. Right now -- for both club and country -- he is not choosing the best or the most befitting sunset for his incredible career.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

theDunamis wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:02 am
benteke wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:57 amWhat i am suggesting there is that it's been clear especially in the last game that Ronaldo is now a peripheral figure in the Portugal team.

And what I am saying is there is a much better way to leave. Right now -- for both club and country -- he is not choosing the best or the most befitting sunset for his incredible career.
I think people are expecting a little bit too much from the guy, given the tough year he has had.
I don't think he is in the best state of mind ever since pre season, and it shows on the pitch.
I cut him some slack on that basis, he has already done a lot for Portugal.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

benteke wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:05 pmI think people are expecting a little bit too much from the guy, given the tough year he has had.
I don't think he is in the best state of mind ever since pre season, and it shows on the pitch.

Sure. Cut him some slack. Nothing stops you from doing that. However, that does not change the reality that he is not choosing the best or the most befitting sunset for his incredible career.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

i used to hope before, i have lost all hope. :(
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

I dont think you know what it means to be a leader; and frankly, the more I hear Nigerians speak about leadership, I realize why we have some of the worst leaders (ehmm i mean rulers) in the history of the world.

Leadership is the most selfless act of service in the world. Like a good father/mother, you are required to take what you want, your desire, your happiness, your success and put it aside, if it conflicts with the desires, happiness and success of your troops (kids). You are a servant! Your wants and secondary! This is why someone once said to me that if people knew what leadership truly meant, they will run away from it. In history, during war, a king and/or general led the army into battle! As in, they were at the forefront, fighting. Not like now, where leaders sit behind and ask the troops to go protect them.

I am sorry, but you should re-evaluate what it means to be a leader. Ronaldo didnt have to accept the arm-band if he knew he couldn't sacrifice and serve his team. As a leader, the team doesnt owe you, YOU OWE THEM!! One day we will learn this and we will choose our leadership wisely. :oops:

Donzman
Egg
Egg

Post by Donzman »

benteke wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:05 pm

I think people are expecting a little bit too much from the guy, given the tough year he has had.
We can cut him some slack but not at the expense of the team.

If he understands that he is not the best state of mind, why not take a break? Why attempt to ruin ten Haag and United's season?

I expected much more professionalism from CR7 given his experience.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Donzman wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:35 pm

If he understands that he is not the best state of mind, why not take a break? Why attempt to ruin ten Haag and United's season?

The Portugal team will be OK.
The man's mental state of affairs should be a worry.
Every single thing that could go wrong in his career has gone very wrong in the space of less than a year.
The fall from grace has happened so fast i doubt he can process it properly.
I will be surprised if he wants to continue further at the highest levels.
This may be the time for his agent to stop worrying about getting him more money, that's not what he needs now
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:34 pm I dont think you know what it means to be a leader; and frankly, the more I hear Nigerians speak about leadership, I realize why we have some of the worst leaders (ehmm i mean rulers) in the history of the world.

Leadership is the most selfless act of service in the world. Like a good father/mother, you are required to take what you want, your desire, your happiness, your success and put it aside, if it conflicts with the desires, happiness and success of your troops (kids). You are a servant! Your wants and secondary! This is why someone once said to me that if people knew what leadership truly meant, they will run away from it. In history, during war, a king and/or general led the army into battle! As in, they were at the forefront, fighting. Not like now, where leaders sit behind and ask the troops to go protect them.

I am sorry, but you should re-evaluate what it means to be a leader. Ronaldo didnt have to accept the arm-band if he knew he couldn't sacrifice and serve his team. As a leader, the team doesnt owe you, YOU OWE THEM!! One day we will learn this and we will choose our leadership wisely. :oops:

One thing you have articulated very well from the start is that Ronaldo is a terrible leader.
I'm sure we can all agree that he has always been like that, what he has always done well is deliver big football performances.
Even at his peak, he might have been given the captain's armband for club a few times, but he was never the true leader in the dressing room.
Usually he is given the armband as a mark of respect for his great career and him being senior.
His other comrade, the Messiah of Argentina, i also find his leadership suspect sometimes, he drops his shoulders when things get tough.
But i maybe wrong but that's another one who has never struck me as a leader, yes he does wear the armband and deliver a performance.

So talking about choosing leaders, i think it's not a good idea to make Ronaldo a captain and leader, never was except just as a mark of respect.
There are a lot of players in the game who wear an armband but just can't hack it as leaders of a team.
Yes they are given the armband but it doesn't usually translate to being a true good leader.
Less talented players have made great leaders.

So again i say, it was just not for him
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Nah.
No matter what, no matter your personal anguish, as captain or even a senior team member, you DO NOT walk off the pitch when your teammates are mourning.
If you must cry, you cry WITH THEM. Even if you have issues with the manager, that’s personal. You stay to support your team, many of whom are young. They had dreams too, nor be only you.

Ronaldo is a selfish narcissist and once upon a time I wasn’t sure who I admired more between him and Messi.
The last year has made that choice very easy for me.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Donzman wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:35 pm

He has shown that all his so-called ‘experience’ has not helped him grow.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "