Et tu Morocco?

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Et tu Morocco?

Post by txj »

I find MAROC extremely boring though, notwithstanding the MASSIVE RESPECT I have for what they are doing.

We all love football cus it is the beautiful game and nothing about Maroc is beautiful.

I'm not naïve; I understand the pragmatic side of the game.

While there are many ways to play the game, there's only ONE WAY to play the beautiful game.
Yes, each will have their own way, but there is only one expression of the game that fits the tag 'beautiful game'..

And it is a higher level of the game when you are able to express the art and function of football.

IMO, too many of the autobots who have brought football to where it is today, like Mourinho, mask their failures in the toga of pragmatism.

And the fans who follow these autobots, often lie to themselves. We all fell in love with football for the beauty of the game, not the ability to grind out results.

I have nothing but respect for Regragui and his achievements with MAROC, it still is an ugly way to play football.

If its ugly, it is ugly!

Having said that, I'll be cheering MAROC against France. But if they lose, it will be no loss to football...
It will be good riddance to ugly football...

Same for Croatia in this WC BTW...
Last edited by txj on Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Et tu Morrocco?

Post by mate »

txj wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:17 pm I find MAROC extremely boring though, notwithstanding the MASSIVE RESPECT I have for what they are doing.

We all love football cus it is the beautiful game and nothing about Maroc is beautiful.

I'm not naïve; I understand the pragmatic side of the game.

While there are many ways to play the game, there's only ONE WAY to play the beautiful game.
Yes, each will have their own way, but there is only one expression of the game that fits the tag 'beautiful game'..

And it is a higher level of the game when you are able to express the art and function of football.

IMO, too many of the autobots who have brought football to where it is today, like Mourinho, mask their failures in the toga of pragmatism.

And the fans who follow these autobots, often lie to themselves. We all fell in love with football for the beauty of the game, not the ability to grind out results.

I have nothing but respect for Regragui and his achievements with MAROC, it still is an ugly way to play football.

If its ugly, it is ugly!

Having said that, I'll be cheering MAROC against France. But if they lose, it will be no loss to football...
It will be good riddance to ugly football...

Same for Croatia in this WC BTW...

You had me until the last statement. You just had to throw that one in there.

:rotf:

Croatia unlike Morocco does not park the bus. I'll be surprised if you believe this. The Brazil game decisively illustrates this, in the play itself and statistics.

We had 52% to 48% possession. Shot statistics skew things because, sorry to say, our strikers suck. Again, we don't score not for lack of trying, but for lack of ability. If you want to call this ultimately ugly, fair enough...but I find Croatian midfield, passing, dribbling, and elan high quality. We're certainly not a huff and puff desperately defending team.

Morocco in contrast parks the bus. And there is nothing wrong with that. They're playing to their strengths. It is what it is.

:o
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

@ mate,

As a coach and team u can only play to your strengths.

I understand this completely and I respect those who play to their strengths.

But if it is ugly, it is ugly...

And we should be able to freely admit this.

We did not fall in love with the game because of the pragmatic tactics of Zlatko Dalic and his forebears...
Last edited by txj on Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
gosh
Egg
Egg

Post by gosh »

I hear you, but let them get the win first, no matter what it takes legally.
They can then play "beautiful" football later. If they had played "beautifully" they may not have gotten to where they are now.
Your approach may work for Nigerians, but might not be acceptable to Moroccans. As an African, I have learned that winning first is the most important. Records matter. Records should be first. All the other aesthetics in football are fleeting and don't earn you any useful points other than emotional ones that are easily forgotten. At this time, the teams that play both "beautifully" and for the "win" haven't won anything in a while. So, there must be a paradigm shift. Maybe that's what Morocco is doing.
When you place winning ahead of everything else, you put an indelible, permanent respect to your name. I will take that over all the tiki-taka and samba stuff with no tangible results other than pain, disappointment, regrets, could have, should have, what if etc. We've seen enough of those already.
Whatever you are chasing is also chasing you!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

What a knuckleheaded thread. Morocco’s transition from defense to attack is simply beautiful, sublime football.

They have scored some of the more beautiful goals in this WC. Their 1st against Canada and 2nd against Belgium, even their goal against Portugal.

Skillful, graceful, free flowing, purposeful football. But for the wastefulness of their forwards they could have scored some of the most amazing team goals of this tournament.

Croatia put on a clinic against Canada and Brazil. Simply beautiful domination in midfield, passing and moving like a well-oiled precise machine. Their game against Brazil was a pleasure to watch. And it is Morocco, not “Morrocco”! Imprecise details, imprecise observations, imprecise thoughts, the thread starter has it all! Fail!! :boo:

Wha choo looking at?!
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

I do not find them boring at all, I admire their organization, what's boring about beating Belgium, Spain and Portugal, European power houses, Brazil played street football and lost, Morocco reduced all these teams to pot shots and their counter is very impressive, if you want to see boring, go watch Greece in 2004, watch how they will treat Mbappe with the low block, he will not get any space to make those runs, it will be individual skill that will win the day
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

marko wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:23 pm I do not find them boring at all, I admire their organization, what's boring about beating Belgium, Spain and Portugal, European power houses, Brazil played street football and lost, Morocco reduced all these teams to pot shots and their counter is very impressive, if you want to see boring, go watch Greece in 2004, watch how they will treat Mbappe with the low block, he will not get any space to make those runs, it will be individual skill that will win the day

I have many Greek friends and love Greek food.

:)

But you are right, that was terrible football. Where luck actually did weigh a lot. Greece has been terrible ever since.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

marko wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:23 pm I do not find them boring at all, I admire their organization, what's boring about beating Belgium, Spain and Portugal, European power houses, Brazil played street football and lost, Morocco reduced all these teams to pot shots and their counter is very impressive, if you want to see boring, go watch Greece in 2004, watch how they will treat Mbappe with the low block, he will not get any space to make those runs, it will be individual skill that will win the day

As i stated repeatedly, I have nothing but serious respect for their organization, discipline and execution. Its very difficult to maintain that level for 90mins and their results is testimony to that.

But that's the result.

However we shouldn't be shy to concede at the same time that there's nothing beautiful about the game when it is defined entirely by massed numbers behind the ball in a low block.

If football was dominated by this approach, we would not be on a community forum as this, year after year...

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Et tu Morocco?

Post by marko »

If you want to watch tikki-taka football, watch Spain, ohh they are out, watch Portugal, ohh they are out as well, Morocco have a strategy which works for them, it is so hard to stay organised for 90 mins, keep the shape, any lapse and you get punished, see how they reduced a whole Portugal to long balls behind the defence, Portugal were actually boring, they kept on doing the same thing and expected a different outcome, Morocco exposed the deficiencies of these European power houses, they do not have a plan B!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

txj wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:37 pm

As i stated repeatedly, I have nothing but serious respect for their organization, discipline and execution. Its very difficult to maintain that level for 90mins and their results is testimony to that.

But that's the result.

However we shouldn't be shy to concede at the same time that there's nothing beautiful about the game when it is defined entirely by massed numbers behind the ball in a low block.

If football was dominated by this approach, we would not be on a community forum as this, year after year...

Well, you know as well as I do football has sometimes endured some defensive cycles. Especially European teams like Germany, Italy, Belgium, even Holland. Who sometimes emphasized extreme defense.

Football offenses evolve. We won't see everybody going defensive, as all things being equal...the best offense wins.

It's just that not being equal in defense = huge liability. If you attack, you better do it well.
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:15 pm What a knuckleheaded thread. Morocco’s transition from defense to attack is simply beautiful, sublime football.

They have scored some of the more beautiful goals in this WC. Their 1st against Canada and 2nd against Belgium, even their goal against Portugal.

Skillful, graceful, free flowing, purposeful football. But for the wastefulness of their forwards they could have scored some of the most amazing team goals of this tournament.

Croatia put on a clinic against Canada and Brazil. Simply beautiful domination in midfield, passing and moving like a well-oiled precise machine. Their game against Brazil was a pleasure to watch. And it is Morocco, not “Morrocco”! Imprecise details, imprecise observations, imprecise thoughts, the thread starter has it all! Fail!! :boo:
my brother,

I wonder if it the same football all of us day watch.

I see a team that truly attempts to pass the ball out of the defence even when under extreme pressure and their transition from defence to attack is a joy to behold.

The same Portuguese team played Nigerian and under their high press, we either just consistently walked the ball to anywhere belle faced or conceded goals.

The same Moroccan team with injuries against key starters implemented their game pan to precision.

This is not Greece of 2004 O, this is a very intelligent side.

Come what may against France, they have done themselves an hopefully the rest of the continent very very proud.

I salute them.
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

hestonap wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:53 am
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:15 pm What a knuckleheaded thread. Morocco’s transition from defense to attack is simply beautiful, sublime football.

my brother,

I see a team that truly attempts to pass the ball out of the defence even when under extreme pressure and their transition from defence to attack is a joy to behold.

The same Portuguese team played Nigerian and under their high press, we either just consistently walked the ball to anywhere belle faced or conceded goals.

The same Moroccan team with injuries against key starters implemented their game pan to precision.

Come what may against France, they have done themselves an hopefully the rest of the continent very very proud.

I salute them.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Morocco are treating us to sumptuous football in this WC. All we can do is enjoy it and be grateful. :thumbs:

Wha choo looking at?!
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

I guess some herein wants every football scores to read something like 7-5, 9-6, with a tight 3-2.
Football, when played by focused and disciplined team players will hardly be a high scoring game.
Thus like a chess match between two master players, with both defenses well organized, and the
midfield not carelessly giving away the ball there will be fewer chances for scoring. The difference
in the final result can only come from taking advantage of opportunities upfront or a lucky deflection
sometimes.

Brazil versus Croatia is quite as described above, and except for those watching the game based on
sentiments, that was a well played match by both sides, and which could have gone either way.
Morocco versus Portugal was the same. Yes, Morocco scored on one of maybe four chances, there
was nothing boring about that game. As a matter of fact their other chances could have resulted in
a goal if only the players involved were clinical. Morocco's defensive transition was a masterpiece.

I guess the only reason some herein think Croatia and Morocco were boring is because both played
less with flair, but have a well disciplined approach that do not cater to showboating.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just went back to being GREECE...
mate wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:29 pm

I have many Greek friends and love Greek food.

:)

But you are right, that was terrible football. Where luck actually did weigh a lot. Greece has been terrible ever since.
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

SOOOOO,

Croats group sent 2 to the semis. Best group or just group ( best ) accomplishment?????
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Let me put my phone down and type a response tomorrow after I’ve cooled down. Txj really made my blood boil today 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

hestonap wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:53 am

my brother,

I salute them.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :agree: :agree: :agree:
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Just to be clear, I'm a fan of Morocco and applaud them.

:clap:

I just wanted to point out there are many key differences between Croatia and Morocco. I tried to illustrate them.

Each to me is enjoyable.

I watched every Morocco game with enjoyment...even in our opener, when minute by minute, I started to realize this is a good team.

So let's get together and stand up against these naysayers questioning our Morocco Atlas Lions and Croatia Vatreni. Join me in the burning most aromatic incense, smoking the good stuff, and drinking some fine aged spirits...as we conjure the Gods of Football to will Croatia and Morocco to a FINAL SHOWDOWN In the World Cup Final.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

We smoked 2 teams in the morning.
Then we smoked 2 teams at night.
We smoked 2 teams in the final game.
Croatia and Morocco feel alright.

We smoked 2 teams in the 2nd round.
Then we smoked 2 more in the quarters.
We're going to smoke 2 teams in the semifinal.
Croatia and Morocco feel alright.

Daddy he once told me
"Son, you be offensive ' scoring man"
And momma she once told me
"Son you go forward the best you can"

But then one day I met a man
Who came to me and said, again
"Play the ball up front and score a goal is fine"
"But first take care of defense"...and win the game for team.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

hestonap wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:53 ammy brother,

I salute them.

Very well said and good observation there, buddy. There was a specific instance of the highlighted where the Moroccan defense worked the ball out of very tight spaces from the right-hand side -- tiki -- taka -- tiki --taka -- and before you could say tiki again they were not only in possession of the ball in their midfield and past the Portuguese high press but also now on the left-hand side of the field with oodles of space. I stood up and clapped. It was methodical and showed rigor and craft.

Frankly, if Morocco had a more clinical forward line, 3-0 against Portugal would not have shocked me.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

The challenge here is that Morocco has not really gone down to a goal ( the own goal notwithstanding)

Perhaps if France scored first you will see a different Morocco

They know how to defend a lead which will come across as boring

For them the first assignment is to win the game , it has brought them this far

Anyway I m going to check on their world rankings now ,
they must be the biggest gainers in one month
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
chamforna
Egg
Egg

Post by chamforna »

If you feel that this Moroccan team is boring, check out the class of '86. That team had talent in abundance; Timoumi, Zaki, Aziz Boudebala, Merry Krimau to name but a few. But some of the stuff they played at the Mexico World Cup was a real borefest. Remember their matches against England and West Germany; negativity to the core.
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

theDunamis wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:34 am
hestonap wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:53 ammy brother,

I salute them.

Very well said and good observation there, buddy. There was a specific instance of the highlighted where the Moroccan defense
worked the ball out of very tight spaces from the right-hand side -- tiki -- taka -- tiki --taka -- and before you could say tiki again they were not only in possession of the ball in their midfield and past the Portuguese high press
but also now on the left-hand side of the field with oodles of space. I stood up and clapped. It was methodical and showed rigor and craft.

Frankly, if Morocco had a more clinical forward line, 3-0 against Portugal would not have shocked me.
My brother, I saw that move and my heart truly leapt for joy. Then I re-saw the move in my head and pictured Ekong and the posse of the Nigerian defenders and my melancholy knew no bound, I literally sighed. Football can be like the most loyal lover and yet unrequited lover at the same time depending on where you stand as a supporter. Oh Lord bless us with hardworking and intelligent players. We don’t deserve it but in your mercy just throw some our way. Anyway, I digress but hope springs eternal.
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

chamforna wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:57 am If you feel that this Moroccan team is boring, check out the class of '86. That team had talent in abundance; Timoumi, Zaki, Aziz Boudebala, Merry Krimau to name but a few. But some of the stuff they played at the Mexico World Cup was a real borefest. Remember their matches against England and West Germany; negativity to the core.
:agree: