Morocco Manager surely will move on.....

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Morocco Manager surely will move on.....

Post by wiseone »

Mate, you can group Nigeria's U25 prospects into three categories: those who have already played for the national team, those on the fringes of the team, and those not yet capped.

Of the players on this list, Bassey and Osimhen are the best prospects and are headed for the top (arguably Osimhen is already at the top as he is one of the most sought after strikers in the world). If he leaves Napoli, the transfer fee will not be less than £75 million.

Already in the Team:

Calvin Bassey (Ajax)*
Samuel Chukwueze (Villarreal)
Victor Osimhen (Napoli)*

Nigeria's 3 GKs are 22, 23, and 24: Adeleye (Hapoel Jerusalem), Okoye (Watford), Uzoho (Omonia Nicosia) - but no signs that any of them are headed for the top.

On Fringes of National Team

Chidera Ejuke (Hertha Berlin)
Terem Moffi (L'Orient)
Raphael Onyedika (Bruges)
Samson Tijani (RB Salzburg)
Alhassan Yusuf (Royal Antwerp)

Not Yet Picked

Eberechi Eze and Michael Olise (both Crystal Palace)
Destiny Udogie (Udinese)
mate wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:46 pm I love this discussion. Can somebody list the main Nigerian players under 25 that might become top players? I'd be interested to look them up.
Last edited by wiseone on Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

wiseone wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:29 pm Mate, you can group Nigeria's U25 prospects into three categories: those who have already played for the national team, those on the fringes of the team, and those not yet capped.

Of the players on this list, Bassey and Osimhen are the best prospects and are headed for the top (arguably Osimhen is already at the top as he is one of the most sought after strikers in the world). If he leaves Napoli, the transfer fee will not be less than 75 million.

Already in the Team:

Calvin Bassey (Ajax)*
Samuel Chukwueze (Villarreal)
Victor Osimhen (Napoli)*

Nigeria's 3 GKs are 22, 23, and 24: Adeleye (Hapoel Jerusalem), Okoye (Watford), Uzoho (Omonia Nicosia) - but no signs that any of them are headed for the top.

On Fringes of National Team

Chidera Ejuke (Hertha Berlin)
Terem Moffi (L'Orient)
Raphael Onyedika (Bruges)
Samson Tijani (RB Salzburg)
Alhassan Yusuf (Royal Antwerp)

Not Yet Picked

Eberechi Eze and Michael Olise (both Crystal Palace)
Destiny Udogie (Udinese)
mate wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:46 pm I love this discussion. Can somebody list the main Nigerian players under 25 that might become top players? I'd be interested to look them up.

Thanks!

I see Osimhen indeed is being touted by credible folks as the best striker in Serie A. This is a major factor, as strikers clearly are about the hardest position to fill...something that I believe has been the difference between Croatia being tier 1 vs tier 2.

What position does Bassey play for Nigeria? Left back or centre? If center, at least on paper, that starts to build a spine. Of course central midfield is the key here.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Nigeria is ok in midfield and attack. However, the defence and GK positions are serious problem areas.

Bassey does not yet have a settled position as he is new to the team (he has played at both CD and LB). I would personally play him at LB for now because that would enable him to use his best attributes (movement and power). He could be a barnstorming attacking LB in the future (ala Robertson or Alaba). He is only 22 and like most good defenders at that age, he still needs to fine tune his positioning and anticipation in central areas (a WIP like Gvardiol). Fortunately he is learning at one of the best “schools” at Ajax.

Moffi is another one to keep an eye on. He is the top scorer in France not called Mbappe or Neymar. Even then he has only 1 goal less than Neymar and 2 goals less than Mbappe. If he can score so many goals for a team already 13 points behind PSG (with less than half the season played), imagine what he could do at a bigger club where he will get more chances. He is unfortunate to be born in the same generation as Osimhen, because unless Nigeria changes its system to play 2 strikers, he will never play when Osimhen is fit.

mate wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:20 pm Thanks!

I see Osimhen indeed is being touted by credible folks as the best striker in Serie A. This is a major factor, as strikers clearly are about the hardest position to fill...something that I believe has been the difference between Croatia being tier 1 vs tier 2.

What position does Bassey play for Nigeria? Left back or centre? If center, at least on paper, that starts to build a spine. Of course central midfield is the key here.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

wiseone wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:41 pm Nigeria is ok in midfield and attack. However, the defence and GK positions are serious problem areas.

Bassey does not yet have a settled position as he is new to the team (he has played at both CD and LB). I would personally play him at LB for now because that would enable him to use his best attributes (movement and power). He could be a barnstorming attacking LB in the future (ala Robertson or Alaba). He is only 22 and like most good defenders at that age, he still needs to fine tune his positioning and anticipation in central areas (a WIP like Gvardiol). Fortunately he is learning at one of the best “schools” at Ajax.

Moffi is another one to keep an eye on. He is the top scorer in France not called Mbappe or Neymar. Even then he has only 1 goal less than Neymar and 2 goals less than Mbappe. If he can score so many goals for a team already 13 points behind PSG (with less than half the season played), imagine what he could do at a bigger club where he will get more chances. He is unfortunate to be born in the same generation as Osimhen, because unless Nigeria changes its system to play 2 strikers, he will never play when Osimhen is fit.

A lot to discuss here. I like reading 2 strikers! Wow. My 1st though is why then not have a system of 2 strikers? Of course, I don't know enough about the Nigeria team overall, but will keep an eye out.

What you said about Bassey at Ajax is crucial. He indeed will get the best mentoring and honing. Great opportunity for him and Nigeria...and he should get support from Nigeria here.

Gvardiol and young Croatian players are part of the central Croatian NT program. They routinely meet with supporting staff: PTs, doctors, nutritionists, coaches, all augmenting the club resources. It all has to come together to support the NT.

Finally, defense and GK are decisive. All things being equal, offense wins. But any defensive deficiency is a serious inequality. It's easier defending than scoring. Some defensive teams make it farther in the WC, but weaker defenses don't. It will be fun to follow Nigeria here...and African football in general, as this WC has reignited my interest.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Hi Mate. To respond to your points:

1) "why then not have a system of 2 strikers" - Nigeria has a surplus of wingers and midfielders. Adding a second striker will mean dropping one of them, changing the team's shape, and putting more pressure on an already unsteady defence. I personally would find a way to fit in 2 strikers given the old adage of "pick your best players".

2) "Finally, defense and GK are decisive. All things being equal, offense wins. But any defensive deficiency is a serious inequality. It's easier defending than scoring. Some defensive teams make it farther in the WC, but weaker defenses don't." - SPOT ON!

Nigeria has had the same footballing problem for 30 years: the discordance between the quality of its defensive and attacking players is massive.

Nigeria has produced a grand total of one high class GK in the last 25 years (Enyeama). In the same time period the attacking players have included multiple Champions League winners, UEFA cup winners, Premier League and FA Cup double winners such as: Kanu (Arsenal, Inter Milan), Martins (Inter Milan), Osimhen (Napoli), Ikpeba (Dortmund), Moses (Chelsea), Amunike (Barcelona, Sporting Lisbon), George (Ajax), Okocha (PSG).

In the late 1990s, Nigeria’s squad included 4 forwards who had won the African Footballer of the Year award 5 times between them. 😳

Imagine if Croatia 🇭🇷 showed up to the 2018 World Cup and Mandzukic, Perisic, Kramaric, and Rebic had won the Ballon D’or in succession to each other in the prior 4 years.

However, the only top class defenders Nigeria has had in the same time period are West (Inter Milan, AC Milan), Babayaro (Chelsea), Taiwo (AC Milan, Marseille), and Yobo (Everton).

Compare the numbers and quality at the two ends of the pitch and you will see Nigeria’s problem: lots of players who can create and score goals, but unable to consistently keep clean sheets and win “ugly” 1-0 in tight games with few chances.
mate wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:52 pm A lot to discuss here. I like reading 2 strikers! Wow. My 1st though is why then not have a system of 2 strikers? Of course, I don't know enough about the Nigeria team overall, but will keep an eye out.

Finally, defense and GK are decisive. All things being equal, offense wins. But any defensive deficiency is a serious inequality. It's easier defending than scoring. Some defensive teams make it farther in the WC, but weaker defenses don't. It will be fun to follow Nigeria here...and African football in general, as this WC has reignited my interest.
Last edited by wiseone on Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:05 pm
For some reason you have continued the delusional thinking that the Croatia and Maroc situations are the exact same as Nigeria's when each replaced a manager.

They simply are not the same. Nigeria had no structure to support such a decision.

Even now, with a manager on the ground for near 1yr, Nigeria still has NO STRUCTURE to support a manager!

We don't do analytics. Even Ghana has it now courtesy of Otto..
We have no training center.
None of our pitches are good...
We have no structure for scouting players, except the private one that each FC sets up...

Its only us Nigerians who want/expect success simply cus others succeeded, without ever considering the work they put in!

We as Nigerians DO NOT understand what it takes to win in the modern age...

As for the current Croat team, its a very good balance between old and young.

For a Modric at 37yrs, you have Luca Sucic who is 20yrs.
For a Dejan Lovren you have Gvardiol...Sutalo in defence is 22yrs...
Yada yada yada...

All this stuff you added is just dressing.

The key component was COACHING!

Especially as it relates to qualifying or not qualifying for the World Cup.

As for the different ways to skin a cat, I leave that for you to write dissertations on.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

wiseone wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:27 pm Hi Mate. To respond to your points:

1) "why then not have a system of 2 strikers" - Nigeria has a surplus of wingers and midfielders. Adding a second striker will mean dropping one of them, changing the team's shape, and putting more pressure on an already unsteady defence. I personally would find a way to fit in 2 strikers given the old adage of "pick your best team".

2) "Finally, defense and GK are decisive. All things being equal, offense wins. But any defensive deficiency is a serious inequality. It's easier defending than scoring. Some defensive teams make it farther in the WC, but weaker defenses don't." - SPOT ON!

Nigeria has had the same footballing problem for 30 years: the discordance between the quality of its defensive and attacking players is massive.

Nigeria has produced a grand total of one high class GK in the last 25 years (Enyeama). In the same time period the attacking players have included multiple Champions League winners, UEFA cup winners, Premier League and FA Cup double winners such as: Kanu (Arsenal, Inter Milan), Martins (Inter Milan), Osimhen (Napoli), Ikpeba (Dortmund), Moses (Chelsea), Amunike (Barcelona, Sporting Lisbon), George (Ajax), Okocha (PSG).

In the late 1990s, Nigeria’s squad included 4 forwards who had won the African Footballer of the Year award 5 times between them. Imagine if Croatia 🇭🇷 showed up to the 2018 World Cup and Mandzukic, Perisic, Kramaric, and Rebic had won the Ballon D’or in succession to each other in the prior 4 years.

However, the only top class defenders Nigeria has had in the same time period are West (Inter Milan, AC Milan), Babayaro (Chelsea), Taiwo (AC Milan, Marseille), and Yobo (Everton).

Compare the numbers and quality at the two ends of the pitch and you will see Nigeria’s problem: lots of players who can create and score goals, but unable to consistently keep clean sheets and win “ugly” 1-0 in tight games with few chances.
mate wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:52 pm A lot to discuss here. I like reading 2 strikers! Wow. My 1st though is why then not have a system of 2 strikers? Of course, I don't know enough about the Nigeria team overall, but will keep an eye out.

Excellent post!

:thumb:

You explained it well. And I won't sugarcoat it is a problem, as defense actually must be taken care of 1st. You know of course what it will take to produce the midfielders, defenders, and goalkeepers you need...it's a deep and long haul of football infrastructure, coaching, academies, leagues, sports science, and, based on the French model, a NT center.

BTW: given how small Croatia is, you'd be surprised how even a clown like me can get access to football personas. My relatives are pretty connected. I am going to forward them material about the French NT center and team, starting with U15 players.

Again, these are things all countries can adapt and learn from. If Nigeria had a central authority governing the gaps you just laid out, well, obviously they'd be worked on. Right?

Croatia has an ok NT group. Blue collar. But not state of the art facilities like France. Lastly, as I may have posted here or elsewhere, Morocco has a central NT academy and governance model after the French. Just food for thought.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:49 pm
txj wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:05 pm
For some reason you have continued the delusional thinking that the Croatia and Maroc situations are the exact same as Nigeria's when each replaced a manager.

They simply are not the same. Nigeria had no structure to support such a decision.

Even now, with a manager on the ground for near 1yr, Nigeria still has NO STRUCTURE to support a manager!

We don't do analytics. Even Ghana has it now courtesy of Otto..
We have no training center.
None of our pitches are good...
We have no structure for scouting players, except the private one that each FC sets up...

Its only us Nigerians who want/expect success simply cus others succeeded, without ever considering the work they put in!

We as Nigerians DO NOT understand what it takes to win in the modern age...

As for the current Croat team, its a very good balance between old and young.

For a Modric at 37yrs, you have Luca Sucic who is 20yrs.
For a Dejan Lovren you have Gvardiol...Sutalo in defence is 22yrs...
Yada yada yada...

All this stuff you added is just dressing.

The key component was COACHING!

Especially as it relates to qualifying or not qualifying for the World Cup.

As for the different ways to skin a cat, I leave that for you to write dissertations on.

The key component is your structure and mgt infrastructure.

That's what makes a good coach succeed.

And in its absence, makes a good coach, like Keshi fail after winning AFCON...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

It is hard to replicate the Croatia or French Clairefontaine model in Nigeria. Firstly, the location of national facilities is a hugely controversial issue. Each of Nigeria's 36 states would intensely lobby to locate it in their state. Then the other 35 states would complain about being "marginalised" because the government did not build the national training center in their state. Then the complaints would escalate, and before long the country would have a massive ethno-regional crisis to deal with. These are the challenges.

Hence, Nigeria has lots of regional academies dotted around the country. These academies are owned by private individuals - not the government. They are business enterprises and their goal is to sell their youth players to the highest European bidder. AKA they exist to produce Nigerian players for sale to European clubs, not to produce players for Nigeria's national team.

Nigeria produces good attackers, but not many good defenders and GKs because kids today grew up watching the likes of flashy and skillful players like Kanu and Okocha who got rich and were always in the headlines. They view defenders and GKs as unglamorous. It is a cultural thing. Italians take pride in their defending because today's Italian generation grew up watching Zoff, Zenga, Buffon, Donnarumma, Gentile, Cabrini, Baresi, Maldini, Nesta, Cannavaro, Barzagli, Bonucci, and Chiellini during the last 45 years. When they can see GKs and defenders who won the World Cup and Ballon D'or, they understand that being a good GK or defender has glory.

However, a Nigerian kid might ask why he should be a GK or defender when all the Nigerian players who won the Champions League were attackers or midfielders.

mate wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:44 pm Excellent post!

You explained it well. And I won't sugarcoat it is a problem, as defense actually must be taken care of 1st. You know of course what it will take to produce the midfielders, defenders, and goalkeepers you need...it's a deep and long haul of football infrastructure, coaching, academies, leagues, sports science, and, based on the French model, a NT center.

BTW: given how small Croatia is, you'd be surprised how even a clown like me can get access to football personas. My relatives are pretty connected. I am going to forward them material about the French NT center and team, starting with U15 players.

Again, these are things all countries can adapt and learn from. If Nigeria had a central authority governing the gaps you just laid out, well, obviously they'd be worked on. Right?

Croatia has an ok NT group. Blue collar. But not state of the art facilities like France. Lastly, as I may have posted here or elsewhere, Morocco has a central NT academy and governance model after the French. Just food for thought.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

wiseone wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:41 pm Nigeria is ok in midfield and attack. However, the defence and GK positions are serious problem areas.

Goalkeeping and the central defense are the major problems. If we cannot find viable solutions, then the coaching staff must play compact and quick counter attacking like Keshi did vs Argentina in 2014....
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I won't lie growing up, no one wanted to play defense or goalkeeping. We all wanted to play as a 9 or a winger. The issue is from child hood
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

This speaks to Morocco and Croatia in this context.

3 Croatians and Moroccans make L'Equipe World Cup XI. 2 are young. Of course Modric is done, but it overall speaks to good future. I have to think the same for Morocco.

For Croatia, it covers GK, defense, and midfield.

Fingers crossed.

Note: Speaks how strong Group F was in World Cup.

www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/le ... l-28766714
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

wiseone wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:37 pm It is hard to replicate the Croatia or French Clairefontaine model in Nigeria. Firstly, the location of national facilities is a hugely controversial issue. Each of Nigeria's 36 states would intensely lobby to locate it in their state. Then the other 35 states would complain about being "marginalised" because the government did not build the national training center in their state. Then the complaints would escalate, and before long the country would have a massive ethno-regional crisis to deal with. These are the challenges.

Hence, Nigeria has lots of regional academies dotted around the country. These academies are owned by private individuals - not the government. They are business enterprises and their goal is to sell their youth players to the highest European bidder. AKA they exist to produce Nigerian players for sale to European clubs, not to produce players for Nigeria's national team.

Nigeria produces good attackers, but not many good defenders and GKs because kids today grew up watching the likes of flashy and skillful players like Kanu and Okocha who got rich and were always in the headlines. They view defenders and GKs as unglamorous. It is a cultural thing. Italians take pride in their defending because today's Italian generation grew up watching Zoff, Zenga, Buffon, Donnarumma, Gentile, Cabrini, Baresi, Maldini, Nesta, Cannavaro, Barzagli, Bonucci, and Chiellini during the last 45 years. When they can see GKs and defenders who won the World Cup and Ballon D'or, they understand that being a good GK or defender has glory.

However, a Nigerian kid might ask why he should be a GK or defender when all the Nigerian players who won the Champions League were attackers or midfielders.

mate wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:44 pm Excellent post!

Culture is major. But culture can be impacted of course with the right infrastructure, training, and coaching.

Fun fact: Gvardiol was raised and trained to be a center forward I think until early teens. He was told he has better future as defender. But this is where infrastructure optimized things, including impacting culture.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

How on earth could the Mirror exclude Ounahi from that team of the tournament?! 😳 Ounahi was one of the top 5 players of the tournament (in any position), let alone midfield. His work rate against Spain 🇪🇸 was so astonishing that Luis Enrique took time out to personally praise him (and not any of 🇲🇦 Morocco’s other heralded players like Amrabat or Hakimi).

What is Saka doing there?