[WC 2022 Final Match] ARGENTINA 3(4) (Messi X2, Di Maria) FRANCE 3(2) (Mbappe hattrick) Messi wins the World Cup!!

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: [WC 2022 Final Match] ARGENTINA 3(4) (Messi X2, Di Maria) FRANCE 3(2) (Mbappe hattrick) Messi wins the World Cup!!

Post by txj »

mate wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:32 pm
ohsee wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:29 pm
danfo driver wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:16 pm
mate wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:15 pm I’m exhausted. This was the best WC final I have ever watched live.

2 great teams gave us a show.

Messi for me made the difference.

I posted on the GOAT thread why he now might be the greatest ever.
The greatest who won one world cup abi? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:biggrin: :biggrin:
Don't mind mate. :biggrin:

Like I said my friend, this is the era of TV...not the radio broadcasts and newspapers you grew up with!

:taunt:

There's only one Arantes.

When you can manipulate the game at the speed of thought and limbs as he did as a 17y/o, nobody comes close.
And his games were not played in the dark...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
theDunamis
Egg
Egg
Re: [WC 2022 Final Match] ARGENTINA 3 (Messi X2, Di Maria) FRANCE 3 (Mbappe hattrick)

Post by theDunamis »

txj wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:50 pmThe game is not that easy. Its never easy.

Deschamps did not 'cede the MF to Argentina'. They were simply outplayed by a team with a better MF, PLUS his adjustments did not work, until halfway into the HF.

Nobody was 'there for the taking'...These were two high level teams competing.

This is not PlayStation

txj, so are you saying there was nothing Deschamps could have done to adjust when the French were being taken to the cleaners in the first half? Why did his "adjustments" not work?
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: [WC 2022 Final Match] ARGENTINA 3(4) (Messi X2, Di Maria) FRANCE 3(2) (Mbappe hattrick) Messi wins the World Cup!!

Post by Cito »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:58 pm
Cito wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:44 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:36 pm may Argentina suffer after Messi
Amen to that!

See bad belle. Don’t hate congratulate. :laugh:
Read bro. Argentina will suffer after Messi is gone and I support that pain with my full chest.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: [WC 2022 Final Match] ARGENTINA 3 (Messi X2, Di Maria) FRANCE 3 (Mbappe hattrick)

Post by txj »

theDunamis wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:37 pm

Deschamps did not 'cede the MF to Argentina'. They were simply outplayed by a team with a better MF, PLUS his adjustments did not work, until halfway into the HF.

This is not PlayStation

txj, so are you saying there was nothing Deschamps could have done to adjust when the French were being taken to the cleaners in the first half? Why did his "adjustments" not work?

Watch the game closely; he was moving pieces to stem the flow and ultimately pulled Dembele and Giroud.
And even then it didn't work until the 2nd or 3rd wave of subs...

Why didn't his adjustments work?

Perhaps the opponent had something to say about it, no?

This is a game played by humans you know.. Its not automatic...

I've had longstanding problems with how Deschamps sees the game. But you cannot wish away his tremendous achievements.

You simply cannot.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

txj wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:34 pmThere's only one Arantes.

When you can manipulate the game at the speed of thought and limbs as he did as a 17y/o, nobody comes close.

Thank you! It is tiring having to explain this to those who really should know better.

They keep saying the game has changed. Of course, the game has changed. Duh!!! But we compare each player according to the time he/she played in and how he/she dominated the game in the time they were in. And the accolades and trophies they collected while they played. And how they changed the game and brought new things to the game.

The claim that Pele was playing against slower and unfit players is the latest ridiculousness I am reading in this forum. As if Pele came from the future into his era and he somehow had the advantage of using better fitness methods and athleticism that the players in era did not have access to. It would be laughable if it were not such a frustratingly poor argument. But I blame Pele. He did play like he came from the future. As you said, he "manipulated the game at the speed of thought" and found spaces where no one else had ever found it before. He did it first and he did far above any other.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

txj wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:43 pmWatch the game closely; he was moving pieces to stem the flow and ultimately pulled Dembele and Giroud.

I've had longstanding problems with how Deschamps sees the game. But you cannot wish away his tremendous achievements.

You simply cannot.

I am not and I will never wish away the achievements of a coach that can win a WC and get to the final of the very next one with 2 essentially different teams.

But the point I want to make is aligned with the bolded portion in your post. You txj, seem to be able to understand things like the highlighted when it comes to those you respect and are sympatico with. But when it is some other unknown or undecorated individual, then you castigate and call them out as obtuse and/or lacking; forgetting that as you said, it is "a game played by humans" and so "it is not automatic".

Some consistency in what you cut some folks slack for and what you castigate others may be something for you to consider.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Randal Kolo Muani may have nightmares about this for the rest of his life. 123rd minute in extra time of the World Cup final, with only a few seconds left…
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Coach wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:55 pm Marie Le Pen loading up the Insta emojis.
i shouldn't laugh.
:lol:
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

wiseone wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:01 pm

Randal Kolo Muani may have nightmares about this for the rest of his life. 123rd minute in extra time of the World Cup final, with only a few seconds left…

The poor dude will replay that moment for many nights and many years. What could have been!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Siddonlook11 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:57 pm Thank you Qatar, thank you to the countries, the fans, the teams and all most of all the players who provided us an awesome spectacle to behold .

the final game was the best way to cap this up.

Thank you !!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Danfo oya Griezman thief ya GF ? I still dey wait o :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Next time, listen to person wey know football pass you. Ntorrrrrr :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

theDunamis wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:48 pm

Thank you! It is tiring having to explain this to those who really should know better.

They keep saying the game has changed. Of course, the game has changed. Duh!!! But we compare each player according to the time he/she played in and how he/she dominated the game in the time they were in. And the accolades and trophies they collected while they played. And how they changed the game and brought new things to the game.

The claim that Pele was playing against slower and unfit players is the latest ridiculousness I am reading in this forum. As if Pele came from the future into his era and he somehow had the advantage of using better fitness methods and athleticism that the players in era did not have access to. It would be laughable if it were not such a frustratingly poor argument. But I blame Pele. He did play like he came from the future. As you said, he "manipulated the game at the speed of thought" and found spaces where no one else had ever found it before. He did it first and he did far above any other.

But it is not an insignificant point: Pele indeed had way more time and space against inferior players because football was not as evolved and refined...a gap that would not have been as large if you only applied some basic, independent of advanced sports science, basics on fitness, eating right, and tactics.

I saw tape of Sweden vs Brazil in 1958. Those Swedish players were clumsy, rigid, classic white boys can't dance :) having 0 creativity and art. Day and night compared to Brazil, let alone a talent like Pele!

Pele was left alone with time and space often enough.

As others say, context matters. Pele remains the GOAT for me, but I am factoring Messi in a new light given this WC to complement what he's done in the most competitive era ever.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

theDunamis wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:00 pm
txj wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:43 pmWatch the game closely; he was moving pieces to stem the flow and ultimately pulled Dembele and Giroud.

You simply cannot.

I am not and I will never wish away the achievements of a coach that can win a WC and get to the final of the very next one with 2 essentially different teams.

But the point I want to make is aligned with the bolded portion in your post. You txj, seem to be able to understand things like the highlighted when it comes to those you respect and are sympatico with. But when it is some other unknown or undecorated individual, then you castigate and call them out as obtuse and/or lacking; forgetting that as you said, it is "a game played by humans" and so "it is not automatic".

Some consistency in what you cut some folks slack for and what you castigate others may be something for you to consider.

Each game is different.

Each manager is different.

You ALWAYS have to look at the context first, not necessarily the consistency...

Its the context that determines the commentary, not necessarily alignment with a prior position
Last edited by txj on Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

theDunamis wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:37 pm

This is not PlayStation

Na you get time. Like I said, TxJ is not ready ti have this conversation :rotf: :rotf: Even during ET, where a coach knows that his opponents are completely shattered physically and they have a goalkeeper that eats penalties for breakfast. What did Deschamps do? :rotf: :rotf: Look, TxJ is not ready to have this convo. Liverpool football is back next week, so he can go back to watching his EPL. :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

theDunamis wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:05 pm
wiseone wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:01 pm

The poor dude will replay that moment for many nights and many years. What could have been!
He is lucky that he isnt an Englishman, they'd have torn him to shreds and ended his career. We all know what the people of Waterloo do to their blacks. :rotf:
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

mate wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:07 pmBut it is not an insignificant point: Pele indeed had way more time and space against inferior players because football was not as evolved and refined...a gap that would not have been as large if you only applied some basic, independent of advanced sports science, basics on fitness, eating right, and tactics.

I saw tape of Sweden vs Brazil in 1958. Those Swedish players were clumsy, rigid, classic white boys can't dance :) having 0 creativity and art. Day and night compared to Brazil, let alone a talent like Pele!

As others say, context matters. Pele remains the GOAT for me, but I am factoring Messi in a new light given this WC to complement what he's done in the most competitive era ever.

So, Pele who also lived with the limitations of that era being better with time and space was just a case of inferior players??? Were those players not using the same tools and methods that Pele was using? Or was Pele on some special diet that those so-called "inferior players" were not on? Were those players still inferior when they played other mere mortals in their era? In which case, perhaps, it is the superiority of Pele that made them inferior. The same way that the superiority of Messi in this era makes many of his opponents look inferior.

Whether Pele remains the GOAT for you or not is not even my concern right now. My concern is the lack of cogency in your argument. :D
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

theDunamis wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:18 pm
mate wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:07 pmBut it is not an insignificant point: Pele indeed had way more time and space against inferior players because football was not as evolved and refined...a gap that would not have been as large if you only applied some basic, independent of advanced sports science, basics on fitness, eating right, and tactics.

So, Pele who also lived with the limitations of that era being better with time and space was just a case of inferior players??? Were those players not using the same tools and methods that Pele was using? Or was Pele on some special diet that those so-called "inferior players" were not on? Were those players still inferior when they played other mere mortals in their era? In which case, perhaps, it is the superiority of Pele that made them inferior. The same way that the superiority of Messi in this era makes many of his opponents look inferior.

Whether Pele remains the GOAT for you or not is not even my concern right now. My concern is the lack of cogency in your argument. :D

Na wa o! Stop assigning straw men to me.

Come on, I didn't say it was JUST because inferior players. Fact is more time and space means exactly that...which is a big deal when it comes to testing peak human potential in football.

Messi was pushed to the limits more than Pele. It is what it is and is a factor.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

mate wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:07 pm

But it is not an insignificant point: Pele indeed had way more time and space against inferior players because football was not as evolved and refined...a gap that would not have been as large if you only applied some basic, independent of advanced sports science, basics on fitness, eating right, and tactics.

Is that any different from Euro teams of today sitting behind a low block?

Pele wasn't left alone.
He was tackled with double-sided machetes :rotf:

Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Una still Dey hia ? DD who tell you say I like Griezman me that wanted nkunku fit to bench him ? Or wanted camavinga in that role - griezman na serial choker . Watching him play makes me recommend am for spurs 😂
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

txj wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:21 pm

Pele wasn't left alone.

Massive difference and you know it!

Belgium and Croatia in consecutive WCs danced out the samba boys.

Pele was butchered at times, if you got to him. Evasion was much easier against the lead foots that prowled. The existed, just like dinosaur footprints you can find them on the playing fields, LOL.

Come on, you know there's a difference. Look at how modern European teams play. There is no skill gap like there once GLARINGLY was. Argentina and Brazil combined to keep South American ahead until 2006, when the great shift happened.

Messi operates in this more competing milieu, involving the big 5 UEFA leagues and CL.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

mate wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:35 pm
txj wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:21 pm

Pele wasn't left alone.

Massive difference and you know it!

Belgium and Croatia in consecutive WCs danced out the samba boys.

Pele was butchered at times, if you got to him. Evasion was much easier against the lead foots that prowled. The existed, just like dinosaur footprints you can find them on the playing fields, LOL.

Come on, you know there's a difference. Look at how modern European teams play. There is no skill gap like there once GLARINGLY was. Argentina and Brazil combined to keep South American ahead until 2006, when the great shift happened.

Messi operates in this more competing milieu, involving the big 5 UEFA leagues and CL.

The top players were not protected as they are today.

The game as a whole may be faster, but not necessarily the individuals.

The main difference is how teams define use of the ball. In today's game predominant energy is deployed towards shutting down the ball rather than using it.

Yes, standards have narrowed across the globe.

I would argue that it in part from teams abandoning the core principles of the game as an expression of human art/emotions in favor of the European reductionist approach. Aka Mourinho: 'I don't want the ball'; 'the more I have it the more likely a mistake occurs'....

ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

mate wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:32 pm
ohsee wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:29 pm
danfo driver wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:16 pm
mate wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:15 pm I’m exhausted. This was the best WC final I have ever watched live.

2 great teams gave us a show.

Messi for me made the difference.

I posted on the GOAT thread why he now might be the greatest ever.
The greatest who won one world cup abi? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:biggrin: :biggrin:
Don't mind mate. :biggrin:

Like I said my friend, this is the era of TV...not the radio broadcasts and newspapers you grew up with!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
My friend, use the search engines. I have repeatedly said we had TV in my house in 1960 :thumbs: My father worked in television when he returned from Obodo Oyibo. :thumbs: But that is not where I saw my first Pele games. I saw them on film when I was a child. The British Council used to go from school to school to show football films in my home town. That's where we saw Pele, Garrincha, and Eusebio, very popular nicknames among schoolboys back in that day.

But we are now in the intanet video age. Surely you saw my SoccerGOAT blog when it was active. I did copious amounts of research for that blog in video archives. I have a collection of Pele videos, club and country--most extended highlights, some full games--on my hard drive. I can send you some should you so desire. :biggrin: :thumbs: It is not newspaper and radio broadcasts. I have done my homework research-wise from all angles video and documents. Have you? :biggrin:
panafrican
Egg
Egg

Post by panafrican »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:03 pm DESCHAMPS, AVERAGE AND LIMITED, but TXJ aint ready to have that conversation
Deschamps is one of the greatest. Which coach could have done better with six injured players ? (Pogba, Kante, Benzema, Maignan, Hernandez, Nkunku).

He was courageous to change everything (Giroud and Dembele) and to send players who had hardy played an international game before (Kolo Muani, Thuram, Fofana have not played more than 10 games for France).

Zidane will have to wait before taking over from Deschamps
The indomitable lions ; Africa's best team ever.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:06 pm
SylverEagles wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:04 pm
danfo driver wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:59 pm
SylverEagles wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:59 pm Mehn!! This is why we love football. Beautiful scenes!!

Though i hate Argentina. But you gotta just love this stuff!!
I cant love the happiness of racists who hate you because you are black.
Well i really cannot help you. Sometimes you just need to let your heart feel the tears of joy of others. How do you know these particular set of people are racists? Or they are tainted because they are Argies?
Oh boy, abeg waka pass. I no get energy for your Uncle Tomfoolery. Afterwards, there is a video of Maradona calling Nigerians "Happy ni55ers" and most of you still worship him. Na you know.
Hi SylverEagles, this is what your heroes think about Camavinga. Continue to carry water for open racists! :oops: Afterall you are a typical black man -- Massa, we sick? Massa, we hungry? Massa, I love you :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: