Rule change: In-game PKs should be awarded in twos, score both, you get 2 goals. Miss even 1, you get 0 goals

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Rule change: In-game PKs should be awarded in twos, score both, you get 2 goals. Miss even 1, you get 0 goals

Post by Scipio Africanus »

I am sick of this cheap cowardly way of scoring goals. Score a real goal if you want a goal. Argentina I am looking at you. Mscheww!!!

On edit: In light of suggestions made by the very smart folks on CE, football should borrow a page from basketball and award TWO PKs for a foul in the box, each PK being worth half a goal.

So if you were really going to score, you won’t dive for PKs as you will be less certain of converting both than just trying to score a regular goal.

On another edit: Forget the half goals. You get 2 PKs for each foul against you in the box but if you miss any of them you get 0 goals. If you score both, you get two goals. How is that idea?

This shifts PKs into better risk reward territory. If your team is up 1-0 in the 90th minute and you commit a foul in the box, if the other team makes both their PKs, your team will go from being up 1-0 to being down 1-2. The risk of that will keep defenders honest.

On the other side of the equation, if you are down 0-1 in the 90th minute and you have a real chance to score, you would probably take it rather than accept being awarded PKs where you have to score BOTH Pks to get the 2 goals.
Last edited by Scipio Africanus on Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Wha choo looking at?!
joplass
Egg
Egg
Re: Rule change: In-game penalty kicks should count for only half a goal

Post by joplass »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:29 pm I am sick of this cheap cowardly way of scoring goals. Score a real goal if you want a goal. Argentina I am looking at you. Mscheww!!!
You have a solid point, specially about Argentina at this WC. I counted two penalties that should not have been.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Supposing Ghana scored the penalty vs Uruguay (Suarez), a clear goal scoring opportunity denied, now redeemed at 50% the value? Nonsense
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Coach wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:50 pm Supposing Ghana scored the penalty vs Uruguay (Suarez), a clear goal scoring opportunity denied, now redeemed at 50% the value? Nonsense
Considering the actual score of the England v France game should be 1/2 v 2, I can see why you are pained :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Harry Harry Kaneeeeeee! :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Coach wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:50 pm Supposing Ghana scored the penalty vs Uruguay (Suarez), a clear goal scoring opportunity denied, now redeemed at 50% the value? Nonsense
Oga you have been hiding in dat loo wey no get wata for too long.

Scores in dat game were tied at 1-1 before the PK was given. Is 1.5 equal to 1?

Wha choo looking at?!
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:29 pm

Scipio, I believe Coach has a valid point. Ghana had a goal that was prevented via a foul. To replace that would-be goal with half a goal means rewarding fouls that can half the value of a goal.

And if Uruguay had been up 2-1 at that point, then what Suarez did becomes even more pragmatic if all Ghana will get from his audacious foul is a half goal.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

danfo driver wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:19 pm
Considering the actual score of the England v France game should be 1/2 v 2, I can see why you are pained :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Harry Harry Kaneeeeeee! :lol:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

theDunamis wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:40 am

Scipio, I believe Coach has a valid point. Ghana had a goal that was prevented via a foul. To replace that would-be goal with half a goal means rewarding fouls that can half the value of a goal.

And if Uruguay had been up 2-1 at that point, then what Suarez did becomes even more pragmatic if all Ghana will get from his audacious foul is a half goal.
Ah I see. This is not the first rule change I suggested :laugh: In that particular Suarez case, it would have been unfair to Ghana to have a 100% chance of scoring (ball was clearly going in before Suarez .. erm .. intervened) reduced to a 50% chance of scoring a PK. In that case the ref should have simply awarded a goal to Ghana. A regular goal :thumbs:

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

theDunamis wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:40 am

You guys just gave me an idea. Football should borrow a page from basketball and award TWO PKs for a foul in the box, each PK being worth half a goal.

So if you were really going to score, you won’t dive for PKs as you will be less certain of converting both than just trying to score a regular goal.

Wha choo looking at?!
folem
Egg
Egg
Re: Rule change: In-game PKs should be awarded in twos, each PK being worth half a goal

Post by folem »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:29 pm I am sick of this cheap cowardly way of scoring goals. Score a real goal if you want a goal. Argentina I am looking at you. Mscheww!!!

On edit: In light of suggestions made by the very smart folks on CE, football should borrow a page from basketball and award TWO PKs for a foul in the box, each PK being worth half a goal.

On another edit: Forget the half goals. You get 2 PKs for each foul against you in the box but if you miss any of them you get 0 goals. If you score both, you get two goals. How is that idea?
In BB, there's no half points.

Maybe 2 PKs for 1 Goal/Point each, Goals inside 18 for 2 Goals/Points, Outside 18 for 3 Goals/Points, FK for 2 Goals/Points. OG for 1 Goal/Point, Outside Opponent Half for 4 Goals/Points.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rule change: In-game PKs should be awarded in twos, each PK being worth half a goal

folem wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:38 pm

In BB, there's no half points.

Maybe 2 PKs for 1 Goal/Point each, Goals inside 18 for 2 Goals/Points, Outside 18 for 3 Goals/Points, FK for 2 Goals/Points. OG for 1 Goal/Point, Outside Opponent Half for 4 Goals/Points.
Actually in basketball you get 1 point for each converted free throw award after a foul, which is half of the regular 2 points you get for a basket. I think regular goal scoring in soccer is fine. It is the PK part that bugs me. You handle a ball that isn't goal bound, and voila, suddenly the other team has a chance for an awoof goal! Mba.

Wha choo looking at?!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rule change: In-game PKs should be awarded in twos, score both, you get 2 goals. Miss even 1, you get 0 goals

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Hand ball penalties shouldn’t be given unless it’s deliberate. Even when the defender’s arms are away from the body, contact is usually accidental. In the case of a deliberate handball, if the ball was goal bound, the goal should be awarded❗️

Cheers.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rule change: In-game PKs should be awarded in twos, score both, you get 2 goals. Miss even 1, you get 0 goals

Post by felarey »

At the top flight, penalties are scored 85% of the time. 11% saved and 4% off target or hit the post. Suarez reduced a 100% chance of scoring to 85% not 50%.

The only way to compensate is to count a 100% chance as a goal. Controversy will arise from balls that may have hit the post. Also you’re getting more tech and reviews.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

felarey wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:05 pm At the top flight, penalties are scored 85% of the time. 11% saved and 4% off target or hit the post. Suarez reduced a 100% chance of scoring to 85% not 50%.

The only way to compensate is to count a 100% chance as a goal. Controversy will arise from balls that may have hit the post. Also you’re getting more tech and reviews.
If it was 100% chance then it must be a goal. It of course cannot be 100% chance.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

folem wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:03 pm
felarey wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:05 pm At the top flight, penalties are scored 85% of the time. 11% saved and 4% off target or hit the post. Suarez reduced a 100% chance of scoring to 85% not 50%.

If it was 100% chance then it must be a goal. It of course cannot be 100% chance.
The goal that Suarez prevented with his hands against Ghana in 2010 was 100% going in.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

felarey wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:42 pm
folem wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:03 pm

The goal that Suarez prevented with his hands against Ghana in 2010 was 100% going in.

U mean Suarez should have headed the ball out instead of using his hands?