OFFICIAL- KING LEO IS DA GOAT

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: OFFICIAL- KING LEO IS DA GOAT

Post by airwolex »

Mate, Messi is not faster or more athletic than Pele or Maradonna..just stop it lmao
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:22 pm By winning one WC on PKs against a fourth string France side? Abeg comot for road.
Was thé first PK against France justified?
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

airwolex wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:59 pm Mate, Messi is not faster or more athletic than Pele or Maradonna..just stop it lmao

I know Pele was fast and athletic. But so is Messi in tight space...and arguably had tighter control of the ball than Pele for sure, toss up with Diego. Both Argentines for me had better ball control in tighter space against more opponents.

Messi certainly > Pele + Maradona in passing and teamwork.

Pele and Maradona were better in game breaking moments. Pele especially, which makes him King. You knew he'd come through one way or the other...all I'm saying is conditions were such that made this more likely for a GOAT to be that.

BTW: not to go off on a tangent, but that is what I see the challenge will be for Mbappe...he's a game changing scorer, but can he lead and orchestrate, which was a hallmark of the big 3? Mbappe has a ways, as obviously it's a marathon...but something tells me he stands a better chance if he isn't played at wing.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

mate wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:12 pm
airwolex wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:59 pm Mate, Messi is not faster or more athletic than Pele or Maradonna..just stop it lmao

I know Pele was fast and athletic. But so is Messi in tight space...and arguably had tighter control of the ball than Pele for sure, toss up with Diego. Both Argentines for me had better ball control in tighter space against more opponents.

Pele and Maradona were better in game breaking moments. Pele especially, which makes him King. You knew he'd come through one way or the other...all I'm saying is conditions were such that made this more likely for a GOAT to be that.

BTW: not to go off on a tangent, but that is what I see the challenge will be for Mbappe...he's a game changing scorer, but can he lead and orchestrate, which was a hallmark of the big 3? Mbappe has a ways, as obviously it's a marathon...but something tells me he stands a better chance if he isn't played at wing.
Post like this really upsets me. You are stating Messi is better than Pele...smh
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

For all the haters :taunt: :lol: :lol:

“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:15 pm
mate wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:12 pm

Post like this really upsets me. You are stating Messi is better than Pele...smh

Maybe.

Time moves on.

In 30 years, maybe fans say PLUTONIAN X > Pele > Maradona > Messi.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Messi is the goat. Deal with it.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

bret- hart wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:37 pm Messi is the goat. Deal with it.

Goat of what? HGH?

I guess Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire are the Baseball GOATs as well.

You might say his multiple years of HGH use were before 18, and it was Barcelona pumping him with HGH, and not he personally, but the it was the East German State pumping their athletes with steroids as well.

Of course, no one has ever called for sanctions against Messi, but including him in the GOAT conversation is a non-starter because he got an unnatural advantage.

Of course he was a gifted youngster, but there have been hundreds, maybe even thousands like him. It is however a very slippery slope when rich clubs start using medical excuses to create their own Cyborgs.

More on this story will come out at some point. The war of attrition between him and Barcelona when he initially tried to leave shows that something is cooking.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

truetalk wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:54 pm

Goat of what? HGH?

You might say his multiple years of HGH use were before 18, and it was Barcelona pumping him with HGH, and not he personally, but the it was the East German State pumping their athletes with steroids as well.

Of course, no one has ever called for sanctions against Messi, but including him in the GOAT conversation is a non-starter because he got an unnatural advantage.

Of course he was a gifted youngster, but there have been hundreds, maybe even thousands like him. It is however a very slippery slope when rich clubs start using medical excuses to create their own Cyborgs.

More on this story will come out at some point. The war of attrition between him and Barcelona when he initially tried to leave shows that something is cooking.

:clap:
SuperEagles

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

It will take a while to process Messi. It took him 4 tries to win the WC, and the last Copa seems like a fraud to me. What I will say is, he is one of the best I have ever seen, plus finally he grew some balls. Well done!!!
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Goat of what? HGH?

Sometimes it helps to show a true and complete story especially when casting aspersions on an individual. Please don’t let your dislike for the man make you start producing porky like arguments and comments. Let’s leave idiotic posts to porky. It’s his trademark.

The young man used a prescribed medication for a condition when he was a kid and you are using it to judge his skill sets more than 15plus years later?
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The problem with these GOAT discussions is that the rules of football were so different in Pele and Maradona's day that it was almost a different sport. For example:

1) Messi's goal 2nd goal today (and hundreds of his other goals) would have been disallowed for offside 25 years ago (never mind the Pele/Maradona era) because any offside at any point in time, anywhere on the pitch automatically = a free kick. There was no active/inactive or 2nd phase of play etc. e.g. David Beckham scored a brilliant goal from 25 yards out in the 1999 FA Cup semi-final against Arsenal, but the goal was disallowed because a Man Utd player was laying down injured on the floor “in an offside position” on the opposite side of the pitch near the touchline (about 20 yards away from where Beckham scored from!).

2) It was harder to score in the 1950s-1980s because GKs could pick up back passes from their defenders. Hence any time a striker closed down a defender, the defender simply passed the ball to his GK who picked up the ball and held on to it.

3) Refereeing is much stricter nowadays and tackles from behind, last man fouls, and studs up tackles = automatic red card. I remember Phil Neville saying that during his career, a two footed studs up tackle on the opposing winger early in the game was considered a fair way of introducing yourself to him! Watch the video below for the shockingly violent fouls that Pele and Maradona had to endure (some of which border on attempted murder). Some of these violent assaults did not even result in free kicks let alone red cards.

Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe et al are far more protected, get far more free kicks and penalties, and play on better pitches. Can you imagine the havoc Pele and Maradona would wreak in modern football with the stricter officiating?
Last edited by wiseone on Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

airwolex wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:20 pm It will take a while to process Messi. It took him 4 tries to win the WC, and the last Copa seems like a fraud to me. What I will say is, he is one of the best I have ever seen, plus finally he grew some balls. Well done!!!
I agree about needing time to assess.

Even following the game all my life, I need time.

Historians and experts are figuring it out. I’ll be looking for what they publish.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

airwolex wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:20 pm It will take a while to process Messi. It took him 4 tries to win the WC, and the last Copa seems like a fraud to me. What I will say is, he is one of the best I have ever seen, plus finally he grew some balls. Well done!!!
5 tries. 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022

Wha choo looking at?!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Cito wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:07 pm

Goat of what? HGH?

Sometimes it helps to show a true and complete story especially when casting aspersions on an individual. Please don’t let your dislike for the man make you start producing porky like arguments and comments. Let’s leave idiotic posts to porky. It’s his trademark.

The young man used a prescribed medication for a condition when he was a kid and you are using it to judge his skill sets more than 15plus years later?
Cito the t**o, your poor UK attention seeking rants are a waste.. it isn't my fault I leave rent free inside your medulla oblongata
SuperEagles

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

camex wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:11 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:22 pm By winning one WC on PKs against a fourth string France side? Abeg comot for road.
Was thé first PK against France justified?
No. It was a soft PK. The ref denied a similar PK for France later in the game.

Wha choo looking at?!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Oh no he is the goat. Haters can dust. Only Maradona, R9 and Pele comes close. Another player on his way to goat Ness is Mbappe.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Pelé - 3 WC titles, 7 Ballon D'Or
Maradona - 1 WC title, 2 Ballon D'Or
Messi - 1 WC title, 7 Ballon D'Or

Any questions? :D

Wha choo looking at?!
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:17 am Pelé - 3 WC titles, 7 Ballon D'Or
Maradona - 1 WC title, 2 Ballon D'Or
Messi - 1 WC title, 7 Ballon D'Or

Any questions? :D

I have a question: which Ballon D'Or did Pele win?

🤔

Because this article offered some clarity on the matter.

https://en.as.com/soccer/why-did-pele-n ... he-goat-n/

Far too late for Pelé of course, but O Rei can console himself with winning the first ever FIFA Ballon d’Or Prix d’Honneur (honorary award) as acknowledgement of his contribution to world soccer. On top of that, France Football conducted a retrospective study in 2015 and concluded that Pelé would have won the Ballon d’Or on seven occasions during his career had he been eligible, which would have him tied with Messi at the very top of the tree.

:D
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

I think if anybody is on this thread, it means the person has knowledge of Pele's and Mardona's footage out there. If not there are some good ones on youtube.

I am not sure about Messi yet. On pure talent, forget those ballon d'or:
1. Pele
2. Maradona.
3. ??? Maybe Messi.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

When I was a teen, I played with a player who was a teammate of Pele on the NY Cosmos. And am friends with this person.

How can you believe me? Yujam is my Facebook friend and can corroborate if he reaches out to me.

I will reach out next day or two and ask about Pele in this context...something I wish I did before.

I will get back on what he says.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

It would be interesting to have been a fly on the wall, when Messi was negotiating with Qatar-owned PSG, and how they were able to lure him to a league where no one watches him play. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Very interesting to learn what they promised him. :)
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Kabalega wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:18 pm For all the haters :taunt: :lol: :lol:

Na here you dey? Typical east african, always sitting on the lap of the white man, hoping that the white man will jog his lap to bounce you. :rotf: :rotf: I travel to Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania a lot and I am always embarrassed for you people when i go there. Still driving those Willy MBs Colonial Era jeeps and wearing those khaki outfits and round hats. Shame no dey catch una! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: In 2022!! My last trip to Nairobi in June, i literally saw a guy standing at the door at a restaurant dressed like a 1930s colonized African, smiling, wide teeth, excited to welcome a white English family. "Welcome Sir, Welcome Sir, so happy to have you join us." :lol: :lol: :lol: I just shook my head, dude looked at me and realized how shameless he looked.

Massa Massa, I love you :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: If only you know how much Messi and other Argentines hate the sight of you. Go and ask Camavinga what Aguero and others said about him today on tiktok in their dressing room. :oops: :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?