Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by YemiBrazil »

Folks debated this issue here some years back and now I think they are spot on. Something is going on with these transfers. I think they are sharing a chunk of that money and all parties involved have enough to take care of the books, otherwise it makes no business sense :evil:
wiseone wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:46 pm Balo, it is an excellent deal for Chelsea (but not such a good one for Man Utd). Getting a direct rival to pay £60 million for a player who you do not want, and who is in the last year of his contract anyway, is the football equivalent of a mugging.

Why on earth did Man Utd not simply wait 5 months and then sign him for free?

balo wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:29 pm
Chelsea is actually very open with regards to Mount. Agreed that at the beginning of the new era, the owners were guns blazing with new recruits. Then they came up with performance-based remunerations, which many of the players did not like. Havertz and Mason especially.

The owners really liked the returns from Reece, not so much from Mason. They offered both of them new contracts in the range 200k -250k/wk. Reece signed his and the club was fine with it. For Mase, his returns, in terms of performance, had dwindled, hence the club withdrew the offer they had on the table. Mase felt slighted. Then Nkunku happened making Mase to feel threatened.

Once he became aware that Man U were interested, he made up his mind to leave.

This is the lowdown. In my opinion, the club is right to withdraw the planned contract at the time. He should have welcomed the challenge to be better, but he decided otherwise, which is fine too.
Last edited by YemiBrazil on Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

If I was in charge of Man U transfers I would have leveraged Chelsea's desire to get players off its books by instead bidding for Lukaku (another player that Chelsea does not want).

Man Utd badly needs a striker. Lukaku is probably the lowest risk striker signing out there. He will not cost crazy money like Kane or Osimhen, is Belgium's all time top goalscorer, has scored nearly 300 goals in his career, averages a goal nearly every 2 games, and has already played in the Premier League and for Manchester United before. Hence no worries about how he will acclimatise to a new league, country, climate, language etc.

Mental that there is not a bidding war for him.
balo wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:21 pm
Well, think of the business side of things. Man U aren't stupid. And they saddled him with the #7 shirt. He will sell you loads of merchandise.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Man U are bidding 50m for Hojlund. Surely soon you will get your wish for a new striker. I think Lukaku and Inter have a pact to make a fool out of Chelsea. He has no plans for the EPL at the moment.

wiseone wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:42 pm If I was in charge of Man U transfers I would have leveraged Chelsea's desire to get players off its books by instead bidding for Lukaku (another player that Chelsea does not want).

Man Utd badly needs a striker. Lukaku is probably the lowest risk striker signing out there. He will not cost crazy money like Kane or Osimhen, is Belgium's all time top goalscorer, has scored nearly 300 goals in his career, averages a goal nearly every 2 games, and has already played in the Premier League and for Manchester United before. Hence no worries about how he will acclimatise to a new league, country, climate, language etc.

Mental that there is not a bidding war for him.
balo wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:21 pm
Well, think of the business side of things. Man U aren't stupid. And they saddled him with the #7 shirt. He will sell you loads of merchandise.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Onana - former Ajax and Dutch league player

Antony - former Ajax and Dutch league player

Lisandro Martinez - former Ajax and Dutch league player

Malacia - Dutch league player

Weghorst - former Dutch league player

Who is the common denominator in all those? You have your answer Benteke.

benteke wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:57 am
I ask again Mr wiseone.

Who is responsible for this activity.
Its been happening every transfer window now going back to David Moyes' time.
When the season is underway, Man United fans will start pointing fingers at the Glazers(if they are still owners of the club).

By the way, what's holding up the proposed sale of United to either the Qatari shiekh or Ineos group.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The end of an era. David de Gea is leaving Manchester United. He leaves after 12 years at the club and was the only member of Sir Alex Ferguson’s final title winning squad that was still at the club.

balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

wiseone wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:03 pm The end of an era. David de Gea is leaving Manchester United. He leaves after 12 years at the club and was the only member of Sir Alex Ferguson’s final title winning squad that was still at the club.

Likely Saudi next. Unless he takes a huge pay reduction to stay in Europe.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...Will Onana perform and last as long?
Remember the incredible Ivorian, Mendy, Chelsea goalie, was shining then dimmed so quick.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

mcal wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:19 pm ...Will Onana perform and last as long?
Remember the incredible Ivorian, Mendy, Chelsea goalie, was shining then dimmed so quick.
I expect him to make big mistakes due to that style of play, building up from the back, we had a debate here, wiseone was asking why teams insist on such a tactic that leads to big mistakes.

Onana will have the disadvantage of being black.
It will depend on how much noise the media make to overstate his errors.
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

benteke wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:28 pm
mcal wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:19 pm ...Will Onana perform and last as long?
I expect him to make big mistakes due to that style of play, building up from the back, we had a debate here, wiseone was asking why teams insist on such a tactic that leads to big mistakes.

Onana will have the disadvantage of being black.
It will depend on how much noise the media make to overstate his errors.
Not only that. Manchester doesnt have a good defense and Onana has weaknesses in certain areas which will further expose him.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

A cheaper option would be to promote Dean Henderson as the new #1 GK, save the transfer fee and use it to buy a striker (which is the most pressing area of the team that needs reinforcement).

Meanwhile a club that already has 4 international GKs on its books is busy trying to blow almost 50 million to buy another GK. Plus spent 60 million to buy a midfielder who plays in the same position as Bruno Fernandes.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

wiseone wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:18 pm A cheaper option would be to promote Dean Henderson as the new #1 GK, save the transfer fee and use it to buy a striker (which is the most pressing area of the team that needs reinforcement).

Meanwhile a club that already has 4 international GKs on its books is busy trying to blow almost 50 million to buy another GK. Plus spent 60 million to buy a midfielder who plays in the same position as Bruno Fernandes.
DH is a good Keeper. I wonder what he needs to do to get the recognition.

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Really odd that Hendo (who has played for England and has been a hero when out on loan at Notts Forest and Sheffield United) is being overlooked. Under Solskjaer it seemed that the club was grooming him to be De Gea's successor.
balo wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:56 pm
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

in the last 1 year:

Inter Milan
Man United
Chelsea
Newcastle
Tottenham

All want/ed goalkeepers and not one of them looked at Henderson. :oops: We should respect that clubs and their scouts actually know what is good and what is not.
wiseone wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:18 pm A cheaper option would be to promote Dean Henderson as the new #1 GK, save the transfer fee and use it to buy a striker (which is the most pressing area of the team that needs reinforcement).

"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Chelsea has Kepa on their books, brought in for ridiculous money. I think someone was asleep when that deal was made.
danfo driver wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:41 am in the last 1 year:

Inter Milan
Man United
Chelsea
Newcastle
Tottenham

All want/ed goalkeepers and not one of them looked at Henderson. :oops: We should respect that clubs and their scouts actually know what is good and what is not.

The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

Bruno Fernandes has too many games on his legs and wiil get injured soon. He needs a back up.
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

balo wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:51 am Chelsea has Kepa on their books, brought in for ridiculous money. I think someone was asleep when that deal was made.

Inter Milan
Man United
Chelsea
Newcastle
Tottenham

Kepa is a good goalkeeper. They just kept on scape goating him and hitting on his self confidence. On a side note, I´m wondering why Mendy just fizzled out like that. I´m assuming it´s becuase of his outspoken attitude. He didnt make too many mistakes to be side-lined in such a way, especially as he won the champions league with them. Chelsea is a very ungrateful club.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

60 million is a lot to pay for a back-up player (especially for a team that already had two other back-ups in that position, and which more urgently needs a first choice striker - not even a back-up there).
The Goddess wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:32 am
Bruno Fernandes has too many games on his legs and wiil get injured soon. He needs a back up.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

The Goddess wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:34 am
balo wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:51 am Chelsea has Kepa on their books, brought in for ridiculous money. I think someone was asleep when that deal was made.

Inter Milan
Man United
Chelsea
Newcastle
Tottenham

Kepa is a good goalkeeper. They just kept on scape goating him and hitting on his self confidence. On a side note, I´m wondering why Mendy just fizzled out like that. I´m assuming it´s becuase of his outspoken attitude. He didnt make too many mistakes to be side-lined in such a way, especially as he won the champions league with them. Chelsea is a very ungrateful club.

Please! He has his moments like any goal keeper where he comes up with brilliant saves. But far too many times he messes up by his miscalculations. He pulls out from making interventions that could stop inbound shots for whatever reason. Very embarrassing. He also has issues with long range shots.

I am not saying he was the reason Chelsea had a terrible season, but game in game out, he makes those mistakes giving up embarrassing goals.

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

seems like you are the one going to injure him? or you have spoken to a native doctor to get him injured? :lol: he "will get injured soon." :lol: :lol: smh
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:19 pm

seems like you are the one going to injure him? or you have spoken to a native doctor to get him injured? :lol: he "will get injured soon." :lol: :lol: smh
It´s very feasible that it will happen soon. I do not need to be an clairvoyant.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

The Goddess wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:46 pm

It´s very feasible that it will happen soon. I do not need to be an clairvoyant.
As in this afternoon? or on Friday? How soon do you envisage? :D
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

danfo driver wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:51 pm
The Goddess wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:46 pm

As in this afternoon? or on Friday? How soon do you envisage? :D
The comming season 8-)