Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:32 pmAmrabat MOM for me
Do you think they should trigger the buy clause?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Football fan by love, Manchester United fan by the Grace of God.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

felarey wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:36 pm Football fan by love, Manchester United fan by the Grace of God.
Even in deep turmoil, your history demands that you win! :thumbs: :thumbs: This is what separates you from a trophyless Arsenal
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:55 pm
mcal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:40 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:36 pm
mcal wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:33 pm ...ManU 2 goals up, is this a fluke? Wonders do happen though.
No flukes in a derby
...fingers crossed for them, make dem no open yansh for 2nd half.
Onana and Varane doing their bit. It would have been 2-2 now but for them
...they did survived, really a gritty dug-in tactic they played by stifling City play makers.
I guess City coach made his (Doku) change late.
That said, I hope and wish our SE play like this next month vs SA and Benin...gritty and score, not wait to be scored on first.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

danfo driver wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:40 pm
felarey wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:36 pm Football fan by love, Manchester United fan by the Grace of God.
Even in deep turmoil, your history demands that you win! :thumbs: :thumbs: This is what separates you from a trophyless Arsenal
What a mumurific post, but then look who it is. :laugh: We have won so many FA cups that the Arsenal backroom staff each have their own personal FA cup for drinking tea every morning :rotf: Ewu kanbeer :woot: :rotf:

Wha choo looking at?!
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Assanal should have won two EPL titles by now, sadly they don’t see it for themselves.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

felarey wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:36 pm
Assanal should have won two EPL titles by now, sadly they don’t see it for themselves.
Yup! They lack the winning mentality. Weak in the head and that has cost them. Next season will be tougher if United and Chelsea get their coaching right.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

txj wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:20 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:17 pm Doku is ripping United to shreds!
End product?
That will be the ultimate test of Peperempe, if he can make of Jeremy Doku more than an Adama, he’ll be written into the book of ages. Tremendous talent, can he convert it to consistent produce? If so, behold a super sayan.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Can someone explain why Pep Guardiola was allowed to behave like an agbero late in the game and at the end? He tore a stripe off dat ref, like he was gonna beat him. Think he was thinking about DeBruyne, Gvardiol and Ake who were shite! A more decent guy like Arteta would have been hugging his players and telling his fans not to be sad, rightfully putting them on a long thing, next season… :lol:

felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Coach wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:14 pm
txj wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:20 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:17 pm Doku is ripping United to shreds!
End product?
That will be the ultimate test of Peperempe, if he can make of Jeremy Doku more than an Adama, he’ll be written into the book of ages. Tremendous talent, can he convert it to consistent produce? If so, behold a super sayan.
Don’t think Doku can be changed at this point. His schoolboy football ought to have been corrected by now. His team just has to find a way to take advantage of the game he has here and now. Bissaka showed how to deal with him. Give him enough space to hang himself and be ready to go toe to toe if he heads for the byline. Doku might learn a thing from studying Amokachie’s game for end product, they both have that ability to walk over men.

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I still maintain that Onana is a liability.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:33 pm
Do you think they should trigger the buy clause?

One of he and Casimir needs to go if not both. The game and opponent fit perfectly into his strongest qualities. Its a pass for me...

For all the accolades I thought the 2hf showed the failures of ETH.

Just compare their 2hf game to Atalanta's game in the 2nd half of the Europa cup final...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

wiseone wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:40 pm I still maintain that Onana is a liability.
Ofcourse he is along with Junior! He atleast needs better play in front of him. I sympathize with him considering how many shots he’s faced. Problem is we keep Junior and keep him in goal or dump junior and get back Sancho and Greenwood. No coach in world football will play Onana for this long, not good enough for United.

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

"Junior"?

De Gea faced just as many (if not) more shots but his Spider-Man reflexes meant he saved most of them and won the Golden Glove award. United rewarded him for 12 years of brilliance by showing him the exit door and paying nearly 50 million for an inferior GK.

felarey wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:50 pm
wiseone wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:40 pm I still maintain that Onana is a liability.
Ofcourse he is along with Junior! He atleast needs better play in front of him. I sympathize with him considering how many shots he’s faced. Problem is we keep Junior and keep him in goal or dump junior and get back Sancho and Greenwood. No coach in world football will play Onana for this long, not good enough for United.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

His prior exclusion from the team for months has been utterly mystifying. All the more so since he plays in a position (DM) where United has no strength in depth, has only 1 other player, and said other player was injured for long spells this season, or playing in CD when he was not injured.

Having a ball winner like Amrabat in midfield gave the back 4 a security blanket.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Since Sir Alex Ferguson retired 11 years ago Manchester United has:

Won the Europa League
Won the FA Cup (twice)
Won the League Cup (twice)
Reached the Europa League final twice
Reached 3 FA Cup finals

Despite United reaching 7 cup finals the post Ferguson era is deemed a failure. Most other clubs dream of playing in 7 cup finals in 1 decade. Is it that Ferguson set such impossibly high standards that not winning the Premier League or Champions League every year is deemed a failure?
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

wiseone wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:07 pm "Junior"?

De Gea faced just as many (if not) more shots but his Spider-Man reflexes meant he saved most of them and won the Golden Glove award. United rewarded him for 12 years of brilliance by showing him the exit door and paying nearly 50 million for an inferior GK.

felarey wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:50 pm
Junior ala Ten Hag, Onana lost form when he came, now that he’s recovered, don’t think he’s good enough with those dino arms. At the very least, he needs a competitor breathing down his neck. DeGea also struggled early on but after Onana got beat from 58 yards, his confidence has been shot. In preseason, he was berating his defenders, stopped after some howlers.

felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

wiseone wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:35 pm His prior exclusion from the team for months has been utterly mystifying. All the more so since he plays in a position (DM) where United has no strength in depth, has only 1 other player, and said other player was injured for long spells this season, or playing in CD when he was not injured.

Having a ball winner like Amrabat in midfield gave the back 4 a security blanket.
His problem is the wonderful Mainoo. That kid took his chance and never looked back. Normally Casemiro would have played ahead of him. Good on him finding his feet. He showed his quality at the WC and I thot he had a decent AFCON.

felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

wiseone wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:41 pm Since Sir Alex Ferguson retired 11 years ago Manchester United has:

Won the Europa League
Won the FA Cup (twice)
Won the League Cup (twice)
Reached the Europa League final twice
Reached 3 FA Cup finals

Despite United reaching 7 cup finals the post Ferguson era is deemed a failure. Most other clubs dream of playing in 7 cup finals in 1 decade. Is it that Ferguson set such impossibly high standards that not winning the Premier League or Champions League every year is deemed a failure?
Our pedigree will always have us chasing trophies but Man United should be about the EPL and Champions League.

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Mainoo deserves his place in the team. He does not play in the same position as Amrabat so should have no causation to Amrabat’s exclusion from the team. After Casemiro got injured, the choice of Mainoo’s partner in central midfield should have been between McTominay and Amrabat. Instead ETH persisted with his cruel and unusual experiments of Mount and Eriksen in midfield.
felarey wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:24 pm
His problem is the wonderful Mainoo. That kid took his chance and never looked back. Normally Casemiro would have played ahead of him. Good on him finding his feet. He showed his quality at the WC and I thot he had a decent AFCON.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Guardiola said that Licha Martinez is one of the top 5 center backs in the world.

joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

We beat the best.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Good tactical battle. City, much like against Tottenham, have shown a real vulnerability to teams compact in the middle whilst maintaining wide outlets. Ironically, the shape is not too far removed from that Ragnick envisioned during his Frankensteinian tenure.

McTominey as a defensive forward/pressing/retreating thingybob was a deft choice. Inverting wide men, always a threat. And la piece de la resistance, the early ball over the top, dismissed and derided as of the dinosaurs in a thread days earlier. Vs the High line, there is no weapon more potent. More proper.