Big Six sign up for new European Super League

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Big Six sign up for new European Super League

Post by green4life »

cic old boy wrote:
green4life wrote:
Personally, that's how I feel.

Therefore, assessing the matter with an open mind, we have the biggest sport in the world by far (over 4 billion fans) but with it's biggest/ most successful clubs mostly suffering financially. It suggests that the current model needs a big adjustment especially given that the trend of increasing player costs + decreasing revenue is not sustainable even after covid is hopefully eradicated.

I love the traditional aspects and would like to retain all that but professional sports is a business first. If the powers that be at the clubs feel like there is money being left on the table and they are not able to get at that opportunity due to the current set up and they are currently hurting financially, something has to be done. Summarily calling the club owners/directors greedy to play on the emotions of die hard fans helps no one.
Clubs are suffering b/c of corona and corruption. They should look at how much commission managers, directors, etc are sharing with agents. Clubs are also suffering b/c matchday revenue has disappeared due to corona. It would disappear even more when fans boycott this idiotic super league. Then the fairweather people from all over the world would not like the spectacle without fans.

If you want to know what's wrong with football, look at Manure. No debt, until vulture capitalists bought the club and loaded their debt on it. Debt servicing alone is taking out investment in the playing staff.

The crooks running clubs have been appeased for too long. The trouble with greed is that it is insatiable. The European Cup used to be just the champions in each country. Now, clubs that didn't win anything enter. But they were not satisfied. They kept asking for more. Even those set up with stolen funds from Russia and the Middle East want more money.

They were indulged as long as they didn't tamper with the fundamentals of the game - this is what gives the Leicesters of the world hope. It is what makes the game popular - the chance of the underdog upsetting the odds.

Every year, they up prices of tickets, subscriptions, etc and know the punters will keep coming. But one day, the game will eat itself b/c of greed.
I get the bad business practice argument and the importance of century age traditions - which I value strongly. The proposal as I understand it mostly affects UEFA's CL competition. Abeg indulge me briefly based on the following scenario:

1. The 'ESL' clubs are allowed to compete in their respective domestic leagues.
2. The ESL clubs do not participate in CL
3. The next best top 4 in the affected countries qualify for CL.

Apart from the traditions of CL for the affected clubs, what else has changed for the fan specifically wrt domestic competitions?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Mr. Piffington wrote:Not European, I have no dog in this fight.
Best comment on this thread. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

danfo driver wrote:
Na so I see am oooo :rotf:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Coach wrote:
green4life wrote:
txj wrote:
cic old boy wrote:Chelsea Supporters Trust didn't mince words.

Those supporters clubs are as ignorant as they come!

Too many of them hoodwinked by even more ignorant pundits like Gary Neville and James Carragher!

Some of them think you can run a football club on mere passion...
Good to see I'm not alone. :clap: :agree:
Lost in translation. Its not about ignorance. Such is the allure of the modern game, many a fan are mere spectators, thrill seekers, wanting entertainment. Their attachment to a club or team is a temporal as a the undying love and affection of an adolescent at his first Ball. Smells like teen spirit, look likes a cold sore by the morning. Filtered through the melee of fair weather bandwagoner and one falls upon a body of supporters to whom their affiliation isn't defined by fancy kits or recent titles, its intrinsic. To those, they're born that way, it's not a choice, rather an obligation. To those, Arsenal, Spurs, United aren't just a bunch of fancy Dans kicking a pig's bladder across the park, rather they are them, they're the representation of those people born into the tribe. Romanticised perhaps, too many rose petals pressed against the glasses may be, but just as a National Side is considered a representation of the nation, so too is a club, in the eyes of many, considered a representation of their locality. How wonderful it would be to watch Arsenal being routed by Barcelona week in week out, but with FIFA proposing international bans for participation, one wonders who amongst those prized beasts of burden will want to be part of the circus? Were the players contacted for opinion? Managers the same? Klopp has suggested otherwise.

Tbh, let them go, one hopes UEFA, FIFA and the FA hold their nerve, give them an ultimatum, hold the door open and tell them like Sean Carter reciting the fate of the good girl gone bad, you're "gone forever". Would be hilarious to see City, Real and Chelsea, kicked out of UCL, Pochettino's wins it by default. Irony.

And what is "their locality"?

What is it that makes an LFC fan who lives on Anfield road a greater fan than one who lives in Omaha Nebraska?

The game is global, but you have these Brits, fooled by ignorant pundits who got them to vote Brexit and now campaigning against reality...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

txj wrote: They also have a model where you can acquire the following players:

- Lewandoski
- Goretzka
- Hummels
- Goetze
- Rudy
- Nubel

all for $0

When you live comfortably on such a model, why would you want to change?
Dortmund live in the model and refused to change too.
http://www.naijiant.com/
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

txj wrote: And what is "their locality"?

What is it that makes an LFC fan who lives on Anfield road a greater fan than one who lives in Omaha Nebraska?

The game is global, but you have these Brits, fooled by ignorant pundits who got them to vote Brexit and now campaigning against reality...
Liverpool is rooted in the community and its history.

The guy that lives in Omaha may not have links to the club. Most likely a groupie.

The viewership in terms of TV is global, but clubs are rooted and part of the communities that they exist in. Those are the people that sustain the clubs through good times and bad. About a third of revenue comes from match-going fans - before the pandemic. Leeds for e.g. was getting 20,000 fans at Elland Rd despite being 16 years out of the EPL. It's loyalty and tradition that sustains such followership.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

danfo driver wrote:
best comment , abeg someone hook that brother with some crown apple :clap:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

green4life wrote: I get the bad business practice argument and the importance of century age traditions - which I value strongly. The proposal as I understand it mostly affects UEFA's CL competition. Abeg indulge me briefly based on the following scenario:

Apart from the traditions of CL for the affected clubs, what else has changed for the fan specifically wrt domestic competitions?
What has changed is competition! Football if f@cked if qualification is by invitation like some summer tournament!

You devalue the CL if the best teams are in the super league. You devalue the super league if some teams are not there on merit. Competition in the domestic league is devalued if the super league teams don't have to fight for CL qualification.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

cic old boy wrote:
txj wrote: And what is "their locality"?

Liverpool is rooted in the community and its history.

The guy that lives in Omaha may not have links to the club. Most likely a groupie.

The viewership in terms of TV is global, but clubs are rooted and part of the communities that they exist in. Those are the people that sustain the clubs through good times and bad. About a third of revenue comes from match-going fans - before the pandemic. Leeds for e.g. was getting 20,000 fans at Elland Rd despite being 16 years out of the EPL. It's loyalty and tradition that sustains such followership.

This is the delusional mindset of 60yrs+ old men

Those fans in Omaha or Saskachewan all have the same commitments as the fans on Anfield Rd; sometimes even more!!!

Yes the fans on ground provide the direct emotional support, but those far and beyond bleed their clubs no less. What is more, their hard earned money sustains the club thru TV viewership, and thus allows the clubs to subsidize the match going fans...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

cic old boy wrote:
green4life wrote: I get the bad business practice argument and the importance of century age traditions - which I value strongly. The proposal as I understand it mostly affects UEFA's CL competition. Abeg indulge me briefly based on the following scenario:

What has changed is competition! Football if f@cked if qualification is by invitation like some summer tournament!

You devalue the CL if the best teams are in the super league. You devalue the super league if some teams are not there on merit. Competition in the domestic league is devalued if the super league teams don't have to fight for CL qualification.

What devalues the league is ultimately the quality of football played.

Not the fact that West Ham got thrashed by Madrid, while their fans are singing kumbaya in the stands...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

cic old boy wrote:
txj wrote: They also have a model where you can acquire the following players:

- Lewandoski
- Goretzka
- Hummels
- Goetze
- Rudy
- Nubel

all for $0

When you live comfortably on such a model, why would you want to change?
Dortmund live in the model and refused to change too.

Because they are comfortable while being screwed over :rotf: :rotf:

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Leeds 60+ percent possession. Comedy.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

British colonialists Ander Herrera and Sons pouring it on. Interesting response from Klopp, fingers crossed for a collision course. Mourinho to Liverpool?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

cic old boy wrote:

The CL takes a hit. I agree but that's for UEFA to sort out.

The local league is devalued. Yes, but then again arguably for the biggest clubs, if you are not wining the league, you are motivated to maximize revenue both domestically and in Europe. I understand it's not the same as fighting for top 4 but clubs still have derbies and the pride of finishing on top of your rival. Also, what about the Leicester's, West Ham's and Everton's that want to qualify for CL? Will Arsenal roll over for West Ham to qualify for CL or will Liverpool roll over for Everton? I doubt it. Again, I agree that things will not be the same (assuming this ESL somehow goes forward which remains to be seen) but domestically, the devaluation of the competition argument is a bit overblown.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Coach wrote:British colonialists Ander Herrera and Sons pouring it on. Interesting response from Klopp, fingers crossed for a collision course. Mourinho to Liverpool?
Klopp said that everyone needs to calm down. All these high emotions and premature finger pointing aren't helpful.
Last edited by green4life on Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@G4, they will not be permitted to participate in their domestic leagues. The chest beating should be enough to get them expelled. Hopefully. Cant wait to see the blow back, full blown mutiny surely. Players up in arms. Danny and Ashley Barnes up top in the Euros. Hilarious. Kick 'em all out.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Coach wrote:@G4, they will not be permitted to participate in their domestic leagues. The chest beating should be enough to get them expelled. Hopefully. Cant wait to see the blow back, full blown mutiny surely. Players up in arms. Danny and Ashley Barnes up top in the Euros. Hilarious. Kick 'em all out.
:lol:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

green4life wrote:
cic old boy wrote:

The CL takes a hit. I agree but that's for UEFA to sort out.

The local league is devalued. Yes, but then again arguably for the biggest clubs, if you are not wining the league, you are motivated to maximize revenue both domestically and in Europe. I understand it's not the same as fighting for top 4 but clubs still have derbies and the pride of finishing on top of your rival. Also, what about the Leicester's, West Ham's and Everton's that want to qualify for CL? Will Arsenal roll over for West Ham to qualify for CL or will Liverpool roll over for Everton? I doubt it. Again, I agree that things will not be the same (assuming this ESL somehow goes forward which remains to be seen) but domestically, the devaluation of the competition argument is a bit overblown.
so what's wrong if all competitions plus the SL still goes ahead, then the big clubs can use their academy players for the FA and Carlin plus Europa /CL if they choose to. I see everyone being satisfied
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

In an interview with Danish broadcaster DR, Moller, who is head of the Danish FA, said: "There is an extraordinary executive meeting on Friday where I expect the 12 clubs to be thrown out.

"I think that we, who love football, have had it. Someone has to draw the line and find out which way the clubs should go. We owe it to our fans and everyone who loves football.

sauce: skysports.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Pochettino Champions League winner?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Coach wrote:@G4, they will not be permitted to participate in their domestic leagues. The chest beating should be enough to get them expelled. Hopefully. Cant wait to see the blow back, full blown mutiny surely. Players up in arms. Danny and Ashley Barnes up top in the Euros. Hilarious. Kick 'em all out.
I've heard as well. There's a long time between now and August for all parties to discuss. Time will tell.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

green4life wrote:
I've heard as well. There's a long time between now and August for all parties to discuss. Time will tell.

Rantings of paper tigers..

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

The world is watching, both corners have to hold their nerve, hopefully neither backs down. The bomb must be allowed to achieve its fullest glory. Meeting on Friday, all kicked out, lets see how the players respond...cant wait. Moyes and Rodgers going head to head for the league title.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

txj wrote:
green4life wrote:
Rantings of paper tigers..
Hopefully not...would love to see it happen, all expelled. Imagine the free for all. 6 promoted from the Championship, big Valerian Ismael's Barnsley back in the big time. 3-4-3, raking long balls, pie and mash at half-time, what's in the Lucozade bottle Cory? double vodka and orange.