Refs Unfair to Man Utd - SAF

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Refs Unfair to Man Utd - SAF

Post by marko »

some refereeing decisions were bizarre yesterday, the rashford incident, the clear handball as well, this is where VAR is needed
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

marko wrote:some refereeing decisions were bizarre yesterday, the rashford incident, the clear handball as well, this is where VAR is needed
the rashford decision was 100% spot on.
Rashford head-butted Ben Mee. Red Card
Ben Mee got a deserved yc

The handball decision is too bizarre.

5 games sweet o
DNA no good o

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

1) We are not debating the Rashford red card.

2) We are debating why Phil Bardsley (who is not the same person as Ben Mee) did not also get a red card for the same incident. After all he demonstrated far more violent/physical acts than Rashford: he kicked Rashford off the ball (potentially a red card by itself) AND butted his head at Rashford too - TWICE! Rashford gets sent off for ONE head in the face and Bardsley stays on the pitch after THREE violent acts.

3) Ben Mee should also have been sent off for that handball (which he was NOT punished for). He was NOT yellow carded. 5 yellow cards were dished out in the match - none of them to Mee who handled the ball to stop a clear goalscoring opportunity. Amazing that of the 6 cards in the match (including the red), 4 went to Man Utd - despite the fact it was Burnley players who committed three violent acts and stopped a clear goalscoring opportunity with a last man handball.

tfco wrote:
the rashford decision was 100% spot on.
Rashford head-butted Ben Mee. Red Card
Ben Mee got a deserved yc

The handball decision is too bizarre.

5 games sweet o
DNA no good o

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Rashford was stupid to retaliate but the Burnley defender fouled him when there was no need, that was a bookable offence, the ref was not consistent, had a really poor game
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

http://bestwnews.com/sport/why-man-city ... -sent-off/

Jonathan Moss is a tragic-comic excuse for a referee. His "performance" in the Man City v Burnley game at the weekend was shambolic. If I was a Burnley fan or player, I would be fuming:

1) How on earth did Kompany stay on the pitch after that wild and reckless studs up "tackle" into poor Aaron Lennon's groin?! It was more of an assault and battery than an attempt to win the ball:

Image[/img]

The ref let him get away with it because it happened in the first 30 seconds of the match.

2) Man City's second goal was farcical. First of all, Sane dived in a poor attempt to win a penalty. Everyone stopped - thinking the ref was going to award a penalty. He did not, and as the ball rolled out of play, David Silva (who was off the pitch AND returning from an offside position! :shock:) knocked the ball from behind the goal back into play, and came back onto the field of play without the ref's consent, to give the ball to Bernardo Silva, who scored after a move involving 4 separate rule infringements in the space of 2 seconds (dive, offside, ball out of play, player returning to field without ref's consent).

3) Then Sane somehow stayed on the pitch after a wild kung fu kick at poor Matt Lawton. The kick would not have been out of place in an MMA match.

4) City should have been reduced to 9 men.

Silva standing outside the field:

Silva playing the ball back into play from behind the line:

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

How on earth did Shelvey escape a red card for that murderous X-Rated studs up assault on Pogba yesterday? Shelvey made no attempt to play the ball and simply stamped his studs high on Pogba's leg. The ref did not even give him a yellow card for a potentially career ending "tackle". :shock:

I am amazed that the Man Utd players did not make more of a scene of it. Too many pacifists in that dressing room. Imagine if an opposition player did that to a Man Utd player back in the days when they had Keane, Robson, Ince, Schmeichel, Bruce, Hughes, and Cantona in the team. It would have been WW3...

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Poor refereeing and VAR yesterday against Palace. All the talk will be off Rashford missing a penalty (which was well struck BTW and on another day would have gone in off the inside of the post). United should have had THREE penalties yesterday. How did VAR not award a penalty after Kelly wrestled Martial to the floor in the box like some Olympic wrestler? Arguably there should have been a third Rashford was also fouled in the box after his penalty miss by Kelly - again. Arguably those 2 challenges by Kelly on Martial and Rashford should have = red card.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

What does this thread have to do with the SuperEagles :?: :!:

Cheers.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Man Utd were shocking against Sheffield Utd and did not deserve to win the game. However that does not excuse the two appalling refereeing decisions which had pivotal impacts on the game (allowing Sheffield's first goal to stand after one of their players shoved De Gea to prevent him from reaching the ball and disallowing a perfectly good goal by Maguire).
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I usually call out bad refereeing decisions against Man Utd, but two bad decisions went against Southampton today:

1) Che Adams looked narrowly onside for that goal that was disallowed for "offside".

2) That was an appalling decision to send off Bednarek. It was a borderline penalty, let alone a red card.

Man Utd would have won it anyway, but those two decisions were shocking.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Where are the "Man U get too many penalties" brigade now? Hudson-Odoi flapped his arm like a bird and handled the ball in the box. Let us look at the incident:

1) Was his arm away from his body? - YES
2) Did the ball touch his hand? - YES
3) Did the incident occur in his penalty area? - YES

So why on earth was a penalty not given? Scandalous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zquDNNpYkzU[/video]
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

That was an utterly scandalous display of "refereeing" by Martin Atkinson and VAR. Fair enough if Atkinson somehow missed Zouma's blatant foul on Ronaldo, but for VAR not to tell Atkinson to take a second look was criminal. Then 1 minute later, the same VAR that ignored Zouma's foul in the box on Ronaldo, told Atkinson to review the monitor for the Shaw handball. If not for Moyes' dire decision to bring on Mark Noble to take the penalty cold (and De Gea's save), that non-penalty call on Ronaldo would have cost Man Utd the game. Then there was the ridiculous "free kick" awarded against Pogba when Zouma jumped over his leg.

As I have often said on this forum - ref decisions go against Man Utd all the time. However no one talks about them because most of the time, Man Utd go on to win the game anyway.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I am one that calls out bad refereeing decisions against Man Utd, hence it is only right for me to mention one today that favoured Man Utd.

Although by the letter of the rules, Man Utd's equaliser was legal, it "feels wrong".
A player in an offside position is deemed to be interfering with play if he:

-interferes with an opponent's movement towards the ball and impedes the opponent's ability to play or challenge for the ball
-impedes the opponent's progress
-blocks an opponent's line of vision

Rashford did none of those. Even though Rashford did not touch the ball while in an offside position, surely he interfered with play because he ran after the ball and influenced Akanji to chase after him?

The problem here is more with the rule, not the decision (which was legally correct).
Last edited by wiseone on Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

wiseone wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:25 pm I am one that calls out bad refereeing decisions against Man Utd, hence it is only right for me to mention one today that favored Man Utd.

Although by the letter of the rules, Man Utd's equaliser was legal, it "feels wrong".

-interferes with an opponent's movement towards the ball and impedes the opponent's ability to play or challenge for the ball

Rashford did none of those. Even though Rashford did not touch the ball while in an offside position, surely he interfered with play because he ran after the ball and influenced Akanji to chase after him?

The problem here is more with the rule, not the decision (which was legally correct).
I agree, Rashford influenced the play.

However, I stick with the position of many unbiased football fans. These decisions tend to even out over the course of a season. What many United fans disapprove of is the way some people ignore the frequent bad calls against United only to show up by whining when it's on the flip side.

I like this thread because it's a direct response to the stinking hypocrisy.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

YemiBrazil wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:35 pm
wiseone wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:25 pm I am one that calls out bad refereeing decisions against Man Utd, hence it is only right for me to mention one today that favored Man Utd.

I agree, Rashford influenced the play.

However, I stick with the position of many unbiased football fans. These decisions tend to even out over the course of a season. What many United fans disapprove of is the way some people ignore the frequent bad calls against United only to show up by whining when it's on the flip side.

I like this thread because it's a direct response to the stinking hypocrisy.

I'm curious, does anyone actually have data to support the highlighted statement?
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

@YemiBrazil - Rashford had been on the wrong end of some bad decisions recently (especially the two goals he scored v Everton and Wolves which were wrongly disallowed for handball).

EVERTON

1) A few weeks ago Everton's Tarkowski smashed the ball against Marcus Rashford's torso about 45 yards away from goal. Rashford then collected the rebound, ran through on goal, went round the Everton GK Pickford and scored. However, VAR disallowed the goal because the ball hit Rashford's "arm" before he made the run that led to him scoring.

2) Why was Rashford's goal disallowed 🚫 even though the ball hit his torso? (not his arm)

3) Even if the ball hit his arm it did not contribute to his goal, bc Rashford ran about 20 yards further, went round the GK and then scored?

Yet on the same say West Ham's Scamacca scored a goal after the ball brushed his arm and he scored immediately after with his next touch. Despite a VAR review, the officials allowed the goal to stand.

WOLVES

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Can someone please explain why Rashford's goal at 1:40 of the YouTube video was disallowed for Weghorst being offside? Weghorst was in a slightly offside position BUT a Reading player knocked the ball to him. A player cannot be offside if an opposition player played the ball to him, AND doesn't the touch by the Reading player reset the phase of player?

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Meanwhile Liverpool got away with several horror challenges in their FA Cup match against Brighton.

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Palace's Will Hughes milking Casemiro's red card and taunting Man Utd fans about it.

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

How on earth was Betis goal allowed to stand? (despite the presence of VAR)

The Betis player Juanmi used his arm to control the ball ⚽️ before playing to Ayoze Perez who scored.

A maddening aspect of this is the inconsistency with the handball decisions that went against Rashford earlier this season (against Everton and Wolves). One of those involved an incident where an opposing player smashed the ball against Rashford’s chest, and the goal was disallowed even though Rashford ran a further 40 yards, got past a defender, and round the GK Pickford after the alleged offence.

This Betis incident was in direct proximity to the goal being scored.