Paul Scholes retires!!!!

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet
Paul Scholes retires!!!!

Post by marko »

Man Utd midfielder Paul Scholes retires aged 36
Page last updated at 08:11 GMT, Tuesday, 31 May 2011 09:11 UK
E-mail this to a friendPrintable version
Click to play
Exclusive Paul Scholes interview in full
Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes has announced his retirement at the age of 36, with immediate effect.

Scholes made his United debut in 1994 and played for them 676 times, and will now join the club's coaching staff.

"This was not a decision I've taken lightly but I feel now is the right time for me to stop playing," he said.

"Paul has always been inspirational to players of all ages and we know that will continue in his new role," said manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

The famously-low key Scholes said "I am not a man of many words but I can honestly say that playing football is all I have ever wanted to do and to have had such a long and successful career at Manchester United has been a real honour.

"To have been part of the team that helped the Club reach that 19th title is a great privilege."
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Paul Scholes retires!!!!

Post by marko »

A man united great!!!! i still feel he was good enough to play for liverpool :taunt: :woot: :thumbs: :thumb: jokes aside, he shold enjoy the fruits of his labour!!! one of the best english midfielders ever!!!!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

marko wrote:Man Utd midfielder Paul Scholes retires aged 36
Page last updated at 08:11 GMT, Tuesday, 31 May 2011 09:11 UK
E-mail this to a friendPrintable version
Click to play
Exclusive Paul Scholes interview in full
Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes has announced his retirement at the age of 36, with immediate effect.

Scholes made his United debut in 1994 and played for them 676 times, and will now join the club's coaching staff.

"This was not a decision I've taken lightly but I feel now is the right time for me to stop playing," he said.

"Paul has always been inspirational to players of all ages and we know that will continue in his new role," said manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

The famously-low key Scholes said "I am not a man of many words but I can honestly say that playing football is all I have ever wanted to do and to have had such a long and successful career at Manchester United has been a real honour.

"To have been part of the team that helped the Club reach that 19th title is a great privilege."
Damn there goes the ginger hair one, good old Scholsey. I still remember the year was 1995 when i first saw the tiny ginger boy came in for Man U in the FA cup against Everton, the way he went about the game i said to myself that is a star right there. I am gonna miss the intelligence of Scholesy adieu the ginger geniuse. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

PAUL SCHOLES, HE SCORES GOALS
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

grandverve
Egg
Egg

Post by grandverve »

Paul Scholes, a MASTER player, a MANCHESTER UNITED PLAYER, a FOOTBALL LEGEND.....the game will miss you, OT will miss you more. :thumb:
"THE GENTILITY OF A LION SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS COWARDICE"

A Manchester United FC FANantic - Our history makes us STRONG, your hatred makes us STRONGER
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Zinedine Zidane once commented "My toughest opponent? Scholes. He is undoubtedly the greatest player of his generation", while Thierry Henry said "Without any doubt the best player in the Premiership has to be Scholes... He knows how to do everything." When asked about Paul Scholes Manchester United and England hero Bobby Charlton lauded him, "Paul is always so in control and pin-point accurate with his passing—a beautiful player to watch." Whilst Marcello Lippi remarked that Scholes is "an all-round midfielder who possesses quality and character in abundance." BBC football pundit and former Liverpool defender Alan Hansen has described Scholes as "one of the top three to five players to have ever played in the Premier League" and commented "his passing, movement and technique set examples to everyone." Current Manchester United team-mate Nani praised Scholes, stating "He’s the best midfielder I’ve ever seen. He can pass, score goals with his left, right, his head – he can do anything." On several occasions, team-mate Wayne Rooney has cited Scholes as the best player he has ever played with.

In February 2011, Barcelona midfielder Xavi, also rated Scholes as the best player in his position in the past two decades. He said of the Englishman: "A role model. For me, and I really mean this, he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years. He's spectacular, he has it all, the last pass, goals, he's strong, he doesn't lose the ball, vision. If he'd been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him."
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

APPLAUDS!! Farewell Paul - may you fare well in your post playing activities.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
lowzeewee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by lowzeewee »

Damn, I am going to miss his brilliant tackling :(
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The Notorious B!GGESTMAN »

Great player. In his early years a goal scoring midfielder with a fearsome shot, in the latter years a playmaker in CM. Throughout his passing has always been impecible. As usual England didn't make the most out of his talents, shamelessly dumping him on the left wing for Euro 2004.
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

Genius, legend, phenomenal, I am running out of superlatives here.

It;s been a pleasure watching the great Scholes. I am ecstatic he played during my time, and I will definitely tell my kids about this legend.

Happy Retirement little genius. :cry:
The danger in hunting down evil, is that you gradually become that which you seek to destroy..

"While this Czech man is impressive, d#$% Cheney, Don Rumsfeld and the rest of the US Republican establishment have been living without a heart for a far longer time." - Scipio Africanus' reaction to news that a Czech man had undergone a surgical procedure that enabled him to live for 6 months without a heart.
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

TOWER OF STRENGTH wrote:Great player. In his early years a goal scoring midfielder with a fearsome shot, in the latter years a playmaker in CM. Throughout his passing has always been impecible. As usual England didn't make the most out of his talents, shamelessly dumping him on the left wing for Euro 2004.
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
The danger in hunting down evil, is that you gradually become that which you seek to destroy..

"While this Czech man is impressive, d#$% Cheney, Don Rumsfeld and the rest of the US Republican establishment have been living without a heart for a far longer time." - Scipio Africanus' reaction to news that a Czech man had undergone a surgical procedure that enabled him to live for 6 months without a heart.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

and may i add very humble, rarely seen in the press for the wrong reasons, very shy, stayed away from publicity, did his talking on the pitch, well i guess his retirement has made it easy for Alex to look for a replacement, his football was very un-english like, he would have done well in the continent with his football, highly technical player, sometimes wished he was still 24

Marko
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Maradona wrote:
TOWER OF STRENGTH wrote:Great player. In his early years a goal scoring midfielder with a fearsome shot, in the latter years a playmaker in CM. Throughout his passing has always been impecible. As usual England didn't make the most out of his talents, shamelessly dumping him on the left wing for Euro 2004.
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

And i am an Arsenal fan!
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

he is joining the coaching staff, very good news!!! now he can teach the english kids how to be comfortable on the ball, hope Giggs does the same as well

Marko
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

marko wrote:he is joining the coaching staff, very good news!!! now he can teach the english kids how to be comfortable on the ball, hope Giggs does the same as well
Yes, he is expected to join the coaching staff. It has now been confirmed on Skysports. :D

Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes has announced his retirement from football with immediate effect.

The 36-year-old helped his club to a record-breaking 19th league title this season, but his last appearance was in the disappointing UEFA Champions League final defeat to Barcelona at Wembley on Saturday.

Salford-born Scholes, who joined United as a trainee in 1991 and went on to become a member of the stellar 'class of 92', will now remain at Old Trafford as a member of the coaching staff, possibly with the reserve team, from the start of the next campaign.

Having signed a one-year contract extension in April 2010, the former England international had been a bit-part player over the last season and it was rumoured that he had grown frustrated and was considering retiring from playing.

After 676 club appearances, Scholes confirmed what had become the inevitable on Tuesday morning, but boss Sir Alex Ferguson remains full of admiration, as he told United's official website: "What more can I say about Paul Scholes that I haven't said before.

Unbelievable player

"We are going to miss a truly unbelievable player. Paul has always been fully committed to this club and I am delighted he will be joining the coaching staff from next season.

"Paul has always been inspirational to players of all ages and we know that will continue in his new role."

Scholes made his Premier League debut on 24th September 1994 against Ipswich and by 1998 was a regular first-team player for both United and England.

The ever-humble midfielder helped United to their historic Treble in 1999, although he missed the dramatic Champions League final due to suspension, and was a part of the England squads at both the 1998 and 2002 World Cups.

"Paul has always been inspirational to players of all ages and we know that will continue in his new role."
Sir Alex Ferguson Quotes of the week

Scholes retired from international football on 3rd August 2004 in order to focus on his club career and he went on to become one of United's most decorated players after a succession of trophies, including the 2008 Champions League.

Real honour

He said: "I am not a man of many words, but I can honestly say that playing football is all I have ever wanted to do and to have had such a long and successful career at Manchester United has been a real honour.

"This was not a decision that I have taken lightly but I feel now is the right time for me to stop playing.

United chief executive David Gill said: "It is very sad day for Manchester United fans around the world.

"We all know that Paul was one of the players that came through the ranks of the Academy system in the 90s and has established himself as one of the greatest players to ever wear the United shirt.

"It is very important that the club keeps the associated with these great players and we are delighted that Paul will join the coaching staff."
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 42,00.html

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

God gave him the passing, some others learnt them.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Skylolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Skylolo »

Great player...deserved every medal he won. Was at his best IMO when he had that burst of pace and power that made him such a threat going forward. A true pro as well who changed his game like Ryan Giggs when the legs were not there anymore this is a great quality in any player and a sign of real talent.

But let us not get ahead of ourselves here..... best midfielder of his generation, best playmaker, best player etc etc is going too far. He was a excellent all round midfield player but a cut below the very best.

Legend though!
To God be the glory
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...defeat can be humbling, he did same after their national team defeat. Great player tho, and walking-red card :scared:
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Skylolo wrote:Great player...deserved every medal he won. Was at his best IMO when he had that burst of pace and power that made him such a threat going forward. A true pro as well who changed his game like Ryan Giggs when the legs were not there anymore this is a great quality in any player and a sign of real talent.

But let us not get ahead of ourselves here..... best midfielder of his generation, best playmaker, best player etc etc is going too far. He was a excellent all round midfield player but a cut below the very best.

Legend though!

Yeah, Zidane,Henry and Xavi all think the same way as you! :dream:
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
phantomjournalist
Egg
Egg

Post by phantomjournalist »

Isn't Zidane himself from Scholes' generation? Unless of course he was referring to best English player of his generation. I've always scratched my head at that quote.

Anyway, Scholes is certainly one of the top 3 central midfielders to ever play in the Prem without a doubt. He will be a hard player to replace.
Blue is the color.
Killa Adjei wrote: Barcelona won the champions league something your useless team can only touch in their dreams..
%$#@^& moron.