Paul Scholes retires!!!!

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle
Re: Paul Scholes retires!!!!

Post by tfco »

this has nothing to do with EPL or other league. It was just a simple Q, based on your analysis of Scholes' quote

Sorry I touched a nerve :D

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

cic old boy wrote:
tfco wrote:just wondering if this slightly edited statement would also hold.
cic old boy wrote:
I find it very nice, unbelievably nice, when there's people of that ilk saying it, but I don't agree with it because if I was the best player of my generation then Argentinawould have done better than we did. I did well for Barca, but when it comes down to wining World Cup finals and winning things, the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Zidane...they won it all with their countries. They're the proper players. .....
You EPL groupies don't know the first thing about football. Messi is 24 and arguably has not reached his peak. Maradona won the WC at 26. So did Zidane. And on natural ability alone, those players stood head and shoulders above players of their generation (see how Scholes described Zizou). Messi does this right now. You couldn't say the same thing about Scholes.
Maradoper was still 25 actually though it doesnt really make ay difference. But then Messi isnt definitely gonna win the WC at 25 or 26. May be like Scholes and many other players, he isnt likely to win it except he takes up Spanish citizenship.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
kalani
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani »

If Messi retires today he will still be rated as a greater player than Scholes.
megapro wrote:
Yobo’s problem is easy to analyze. His name is Omeruo. You don’t have to be a genius, just a normal guy like me to understand that we’re talking about frustration. It’s not easy for a player to see how he’s outperformed by a 19 year-old kid, but the kid is fantastic. I had the courage to play him and the problem is very simple.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I wonder - would Man U have been eliminated from the Champions League had Scholes not retired?
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

kalani wrote:If Messi retires today he will still be rated as a greater player than Scholes.
Wuz your point :???: :???: :???: :???: :???:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

that man knows how to pass a ball, i think he proved this last weekend, i mean, how can you come out out of retirement and start to boss your opposition around?? if scholes was loud brash and blonde, the media would have worshipped him, like i always say, scholes is my favourite man united player and i am not joining any bandwagon
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Incredible that a 37 year old man came out of retirement, came on as a sub against the top team in the league (Man City) and in the merely 30 minutes he was on the pitch - completed more passes than any Man City player (who were on the pitch for 90 minutes - three times as long as him). :shock: Added amazement when you consider that some of those same opposition players were still in diapers when Scholes started his career and have not been inactive for the past 8 months.

Incredible. This is high level, top class professional football we are talking about here - not park kickabouts with a bunch of mates.
Skylolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Skylolo »

One wonders how Scholes compares to a true midfield great like Pirlo for example :lol: :lol: :lol: ....that is the level where the greats do it not just in the EPL
To God be the glory
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Skylolo wrote:One wonders how Scholes compares to a true midfield great like Pirlo for example :lol: :lol: :lol: ....that is the level where the greats do it not just in the EPL
:laugh: :laugh: Owen said England lost b/c their own Pirlo - Scholes was at home.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... -2012.html

Makes you wonder how come England were dumped out at the same stage when Scholes was with them.
http://www.naijiant.com/
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The man got Man U out of jail against Southampton. Everyone talks about RVP's hat-trick, but even RVP admits that the game changed when Scholes came on and starting spraying passes all around the park. RVP went so far as to say that Scholes was "man of the match".

"I have to say 'thank you' to Paul Scholes. When he came on, everything was ticking. Every single pass he hit was the right one. He hit a couple of unbelievable 30-40 yard passes. With him, you are always on your toes because anything can happen. He was my man of the match."
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

wiseone wrote:The man got Man U out of jail against Southampton. Everyone talks about RVP's hat-trick, but even RVP admits that the game changed when Scholes came on and starting spraying passes all around the park. RVP went so far as to say that Scholes was "man of the match".

"I have to say 'thank you' to Paul Scholes. When he came on, everything was ticking. Every single pass he hit was the right one. He hit a couple of unbelievable 30-40 yard passes. With him, you are always on your toes because anything can happen. He was my man of the match."
Paul Scholes, A Manchester United legend!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

YemiBrazil wrote:
wiseone wrote:The man got Man U out of jail against Southampton. Everyone talks about RVP's hat-trick, but even RVP admits that the game changed when Scholes came on and starting spraying passes all around the park. RVP went so far as to say that Scholes was "man of the match".

Paul Scholes, A Manchester United legend!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: The master technician! RVP is tasting what it means to play with a master. Indeed once Scholesy came on, he pegged back the onslaught as he gave them a lot to worry about.

Paul Scholes, a Manchester United legend :D :D :D
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Igbanibo
Egg
Egg

Post by Igbanibo »

Again!!!!
Akingbade
Egg
Egg

Post by Akingbade »

cic old boy wrote:
Skylolo wrote:One wonders how Scholes compares to a true midfield great like Pirlo for example :lol: :lol: :lol: ....that is the level where the greats do it not just in the EPL
:laugh: :laugh: Owen said England lost b/c their own Pirlo - Scholes was at home.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... -2012.html

Makes you wonder how come England were dumped out at the same stage when Scholes was with them.
Scholes was played out of position by Sven Goran Eriksson. He played on the left side of midfield to accommodate Lampard and Gerard. He was unable to influence the game from an unfamiliar position. Play Andre Pirlo from the left side of midfield and see if he can "influence" proceedings from there.
Don't throw stones if u live in a glass house and kindly use the pre-frontal lobe of your brain more often; scientists call it the seat of good manners...
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Akingbade wrote: Scholes was played out of position by Sven Goran Eriksson. He played on the left side of midfield to accommodate Lampard and Gerard. He was unable to influence the game from an unfamiliar position. Play Andre Pirlo from the left side of midfield and see if he can "influence" proceedings from there.
Scholes played for England under Hoddle and Keegan b/4 Sven. He played central midfield in WC 98 and Euro 2000.
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The Notorious B!GGESTMAN »

Scholes got better as a midfielder at around 30 years old- after he retired from International football. He played deeper in midfield as a midfield playmaker, rather than a goal scoring midfielder. England missed out on the latter ,and better, version of Paul Scholes
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

B!GGESTMAN wrote:Scholes got better as a midfielder at around 30 years old- after he retired from International football. He played deeper in midfield as a midfield playmaker, rather than a goal scoring midfielder. England missed out on the latter ,and better, version of Paul Scholes
Not true!!!!dID YOU WATCH HIM IN 98?99?He was always good,him and Nicky Butt in UNITED'S mid-field back then.
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The reason why Scholes was belatedly appreciated is because in his prime, his fellow midfielders at Man U were: Keane, Beckham, Giggs, Butt and Veron! Hard to be the "star" with such names alongside you. Only when most of the others left did people realise just how good he is (when he began to stand out in their absence).
senator
Egg
Egg

Post by senator »

B!GGESTMAN wrote:Scholes got better as a midfielder at around 30 years old- after he retired from International football. He played deeper in midfield as a midfield playmaker, rather than a goal scoring midfielder. England missed out on the latter ,and better, version of Paul Scholes
ABSOLUTELY!!! After the season when we played him behind Ruud and he racked up the goals, his legs were going Baba decided to play him deep where he has in my opinion played his best for Man Utd, and you're right England didn't benefit from this. All the while in National team colours he played in a 2 man CM.
''Watching United today was like watching your woman with another man. They were where we should have been, doing exactly what we should have been doing, and deep inside you know they were doing it better than we ever have.'' __Arsenal Fan after watching Man Utd defeat Roma 7-1 10/04/07

mouko wrote:
''Going by this list Nigeria would survive if they can score more than they would concede.''
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

From the "Best of Enemies" documentary last night (about Vieira and Roy Keane). Roy Keane picked his best Man Utd 11 (from his time there) and when he excluded Scholes from the first 11, Vieira immediately objected and said:
"Scholes for me was the best English player...and one of the best United players I ever played against. He can do everything"
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Scholes was pure class, world-class, ask the Greatest of them all, Lord, Tsar, King Zinedine Zidane. One of the finest players the English nation ever produced, sadly, they were still earning how to play football during his time. They still are.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

wiseone wrote:From the "Best of Enemies" documentary last night (about Vieira and Roy Keane). Roy Keane picked his best Man Utd 11 (from his time there) and when he excluded Scholes from the first 11, Vieira immediately objected and said:
"Scholes for me was the best English player...and one of the best United players I ever played against. He can do everything"
Kean is a fool,bobo look like he is not happy with some of his teamate :boo:
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Scholes no longer the "best" for Xavi
Premier League - Xavi names favourite English players... and snubs Scholes

Barcelona and Spain legend Xavi has named the English players he most admires - and has surprisingly left Paul Scholes off the list.
1 hour ago
Eurosport


In a BBC interview, Xavi namechecked former England stars John Barnes, Paul Gascoigne, Matt Le Tissier, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and John Terry.

From the current crop, Xavi highlighted Jack Wilshere and Raheem Sterling - but there was no mention of Scholes, on whom he had previously lavished praise.

In 2011, Xavi said: "In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen - the most complete - is Scholes."

Earlier this year, he said the "one small regret" from his career was that he never got to play with the Manchester United midfielder.

He said: "I would have in my team any top technically-gifted player. John Barnes was one, Paul Gascoigne another. Gerrard could have played for Barcelona, as could Lampard. They're players with top-quality technique. Here we prioritise technique over the physical aspect of the game. So a lot of English players could play for Barcelona."

Asked by BBC's Match of the Day Kickabout which British players he idolised as a youngster, Xavi said: "I remember John Barnes, Paul Gascoigne and Matt Le Tissier. We used to watch a lot of English football. They used to show highlights and Le Tissier scored some spectacular goals."

Quizzed on his favourite current English player, Xavi replied: "It's difficult, there is a lot of talent out there and I think Jack Wilshire is an amazing player, very good. Raheem Sterling has a great future ahead of him. Then there's the older guys such as Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and John Terry. They're part of English history, winning every single title."

Xavi also singled out Liverpool as the Premier League team he would most like to represent, but added that he would never have left Barcelona.

"The Premier League is a very attractive. Liverpool, for example, is a team that has something special - the stadium, the fans, everything. But I always prioritise Barcelona - it's my life, it's my world.

"I am lucky and wouldn't change it for anything. Matt Le Tissier never left Southampton, so I think it was a good thing for him, however nowadays there are few cases of this. But I have had the luck of being with Barcelona for so many years."

He also said Lionel Messi - winner of four Ballon d'Ors and widely seen as one of the greatest players ever - would have been even better in the Premier League.

"I think he'd be even better in the Premier League because it is not so defensive ... Leo would find more spaces than in La Liga
."
:lol: :lol: :lol:
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/pre ... --sow.html