Paul Scholes retires!!!!

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Paul Scholes retires!!!!

Post by txj »

He played the game at high levels but never distinguished himself above and beyond at those levels, and I challenge u to substantiate ur claim. The EPL is not the highest level of the game.

At the WC and for England he was a flop. His only real claim outside of england is that one CL game vs Juventus.

He played the game thru multiple generations, but was never at any time the best in his position, not even top 5, and I challenge u again to prove me wrong.

U talk about stats, what stats beyond the EPL?

oloye wrote:I don't need to go looking for any pundit when i have eyes to see. He played the game at the highest level and had laurels to show for it, i don't need to compare him to anyone. When you play for Man U for that long and in europe where the action is , then you dont need some South American pundit to give you props. It is simple he does not ply his trade there. It is when people are trying to be mischievious that they start making these ridiculous statement. Like i said politcally correct or not, Xavi, Zidane gave their tributes , not that it matters anyways, look at the stats it is the stuff legend and great players are made up off. Like Omey said seriously your opinion even on CE does not count as far as Scholesy is concerned.
txj wrote:Xavi's opinion came at a time that Barca needed to be politically correct, same for Zidane.

Name me one major non-english pundit who holds Scholes with the same reverence as the english do?

Also name me one of his major contemporaries from the continent or s. america that he was better than...

oloye wrote:
txj wrote:A very good ENGLISH player, but still English, with all its limitations. His career history cannot be written beyond the English channel, whatever accolades the British press/pundits might award him. He could'nt hold a candle on any of his main contemporaries on the continent or in south america...

oloye wrote:
TOWER OF STRENGTH wrote:Great player. In his early years a goal scoring midfielder with a fearsome shot, in the latter years a playmaker in CM. Throughout his passing has always been impecible. As usual England didn't make the most out of his talents, shamelessly dumping him on the left wing for Euro 2004.
It was that Swedish fraud called Sven that kept playing him on the left as a winger(can you imagine) while playing carpenters and bricklayers as midfielders for England. He was the one that sent Scholesy on early international retirement.
Candle ko lantern ni. I guess your opinion counts more than the likes of Xavi and Zidane but then this is txj we are talking about Mr I Know More Than Everyone.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Oloye and co,just agreed txj,some peopel just be olding days dragon,just agree with him and keep it moving.Peopel that have tapped leda with him knows.Paul Scholes have balled against all those guys on the field.
A yeye Cyberian with his opinions sticking out from his yarnsh hole opinions holds no weight.
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

txj
I don't have time to massage any ego this afternoon in the name of a senseless argument. The likes of George Best never did anything outside of England, it did not stop them being hailed as one of the best. George Weah never distinguished himself beyond the same levels , it does not stop him being one of the greatest in the world. The EPL and Champions league are one of the highest playing levels you can talk of in football second only to the WC and maybe the Euro. So England was not a power house in the WC and at WC, it does not diminish the fact that the EPL is one of the highest leagues in the world, mind you i rely on the opinion of those who count in the game whose opinion influence the game.

txj wrote:He played the game at high levels but never distinguished himself above and beyond at those levels, and I challenge u to substantiate ur claim. The EPL is not the highest level of the game.

At the WC and for England he was a flop. His only real claim outside of england is that one CL game vs Juventus.

He played the game thru multiple generations, but was never at any time the best in his position, not even top 5, and I challenge u again to prove me wrong.

U talk about stats, what stats beyond the EPL?

oloye wrote:I don't need to go looking for any pundit when i have eyes to see. He played the game at the highest level and had laurels to show for it, i don't need to compare him to anyone. When you play for Man U for that long and in europe where the action is , then you dont need some South American pundit to give you props. It is simple he does not ply his trade there. It is when people are trying to be mischievious that they start making these ridiculous statement. Like i said politcally correct or not, Xavi, Zidane gave their tributes , not that it matters anyways, look at the stats it is the stuff legend and great players are made up off. Like Omey said seriously your opinion even on CE does not count as far as Scholesy is concerned.
txj wrote:Xavi's opinion came at a time that Barca needed to be politically correct, same for Zidane.

Name me one major non-english pundit who holds Scholes with the same reverence as the english do?

Also name me one of his major contemporaries from the continent or s. america that he was better than...

oloye wrote:
txj wrote:A very good ENGLISH player, but still English, with all its limitations. His career history cannot be written beyond the English channel, whatever accolades the British press/pundits might award him. He could'nt hold a candle on any of his main contemporaries on the continent or in south america...

oloye wrote:
TOWER OF STRENGTH wrote:Great player. In his early years a goal scoring midfielder with a fearsome shot, in the latter years a playmaker in CM. Throughout his passing has always been impecible. As usual England didn't make the most out of his talents, shamelessly dumping him on the left wing for Euro 2004.
It was that Swedish fraud called Sven that kept playing him on the left as a winger(can you imagine) while playing carpenters and bricklayers as midfielders for England. He was the one that sent Scholesy on early international retirement.
Candle ko lantern ni. I guess your opinion counts more than the likes of Xavi and Zidane but then this is txj we are talking about Mr I Know More Than Everyone.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

I have followed the english game for a long, long time, and they are effusive in praise of their own. This is not the first or the last time we will see legendary status accorded to players whose impact on the game never crossed the english channel. If it is not Malcom 'Super Mac' Macdonald it is Tony Woodcock, Terry Mcdermott, Emilyn Hughes, etc...Some of us know better

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

It is sad that an African would say what u just did about George Weah whose feats in the Serie A, and Ligue 1 was the stuff of legends..

The EPL is not the highest level of the game; if anything its technical standards are poor. It is probably the highest level of entertainment in club league football and a wonderfully marketed product.

Paul Scholes never distinguished himself in Europe or at the world cup..

I challenge you to name me any of his major contemporaries that he was better than.

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Zidane said Scholes was the best player in the world during his time, and Xavi recently said that Scholes was good enough to play for Barca and is his role model.
Skylolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Skylolo »

wiseone wrote:Zidane said Scholes was the best player in the world during his time, and Xavi recently said that Scholes was good enough to play for Barca and is his role model.
Best player in the World?? Forget about what Zidane "says" for a minute, what do you think yourself...Scholes was really that good?? :rotf: :rotf:

Don't forget that even if Zidane was not the best player during his won time there were other greats like Figo, Ronaldo, Baggio, Rivaldo, Nedved etc etc
To God be the glory
yinkaldinho

Post by yinkaldinho »

Great player but definitely not a legend in my book :sleep:
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

Yep i agree with txj, Sholes was a great player but not even up to the top 10 in his generation. The english have always made their players look great, but some where not really that good because they refused to challege themselves outside england.

The current crises in FIFA was started from England just because they failed to hold the rights for 2018 worldcup. They have a way of hyping themselves even when they have gone dry.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Vieira said Paul Scholes was the toughest opponent he ever faced. Zidane made his claim after several midfield battles with Scholes in the champions league in the 90s back when Juventus kept ending up in the same group as Man U year after year. Ah well, I guess Zidane, Vieira and Xavi know nothing about midfielders. :roll:
Skylolo wrote:
wiseone wrote:Zidane said Scholes was the best player in the world during his time, and Xavi recently said that Scholes was good enough to play for Barca and is his role model.
Best player in the World?? Forget about what Zidane "says" for a minute, what do you think yourself...Scholes was really that good?? :rotf: :rotf:

Don't forget that even if Zidane was not the best player during his won time there were other greats like Figo, Ronaldo, Baggio, Rivaldo, Nedved etc etc
Last edited by wiseone on Tue May 31, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Paul Scholes, pure legend!!
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Always the same crap, there's always a caveat when it comes to United players, for Ruud it was he never scored from outside the box

I think I'll listen to those that played with and against then some Internet certified coaches,
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Dodo wrote:Always the same crap, there's always a caveat when it comes to United players, for Ruud it was he never scored from outside the box

I think I'll listen to those that played with and against then some Internet certified coaches,
The thing tire me,and half of them an Assenal fans.Give it a rest,no be by force to like winners.These same wastoids are the ones that will praise a coach with 7 empty years of cabinets,tufiakwa
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
donzopia
Egg
Egg

Post by donzopia »

Red through & through. Paul Scholes!
FM 2020
ROSSIKE
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ROSSIKE »

oloye wrote:

oloye wrote:
What do you expect Zidane and Xavi to say? 'Oh he was an average player?' (Which he was).
Imagination is more important than knowledge

- Albert Einstein

Mudi E
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mudi E »

How did he get to be on Manchester United's coaching staff so fast? I wonder why they didn't extend such hands to Andy Cole or Dwight York...hmmmm!!
Nigeria shall wallop the dormitable lions
ROSSIKE
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ROSSIKE »

txj wrote:I have followed the english game for a long, long time, and they are effusive in praise of their own. This is not the first or the last time we will see legendary status accorded to players whose impact on the game never crossed the english channel. If it is not Malcom 'Super Mac' Macdonald it is Tony Woodcock, Terry Mcdermott, Emilyn Hughes, etc...Some of us know better
You dey mind these people. This is what English media hype causes. An average English player made to look ''great'' by having talented foreigners around him, or by having a nice stunning bird on his arm a la Beckham.
Imagination is more important than knowledge

- Albert Einstein

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Yes of course, lots of average players have helped their team get to 4 Champions League finals, and have 11 league title medals.
:roll:
[/video]
Last edited by wiseone on Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skylolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Skylolo »

wiseone wrote:Yes of course, lots of average players have helped their team get to 4 Champions League finals, and have 11 league title medals.
:roll:
Not saying he is average but Garry Neville has the biggest trophy haul of any right back I know. However I know there are better right backs who were/are better than him who did not win half of the medals he won.
Last edited by Skylolo on Tue May 31, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To God be the glory
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

mcal wrote:...defeat can be humbling, he did same after their national team defeat. Great player tho, and walking-red card :scared:
The Barca team will sent any one early retirement,no joke here.
Schole a great player but the hype here is too much
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Mudi E wrote:How did he get to be on Manchester United's coaching staff so fast? I wonder why they didn't extend such hands to Andy Cole or Dwight York...hmmmm!!
If you think it through properly you will find your answers, hey why limit it to those two why not add Paul Ince, Roy Keane, Eric Cantonna. My man Scholes played all his football with Manu from academy to retirement. It is called rewarding loyalty. As for Andy and Dwight you should know they were bought from other clubs, this is why history is good you know.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
kalani
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani »

You guys should slow down with your Scholes bashing. He may not have been as fancy as some of you may like your players to be, but he was in no way average. Especially during the late 90's he was one of Europe's top midfielders, that's why he was admired by so many players. Even after the game against Barcelona he had about 4 players all trying to get his jersey.
megapro wrote:
Yobo’s problem is easy to analyze. His name is Omeruo. You don’t have to be a genius, just a normal guy like me to understand that we’re talking about frustration. It’s not easy for a player to see how he’s outperformed by a 19 year-old kid, but the kid is fantastic. I had the courage to play him and the problem is very simple.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Exactly. What makes me laugh is that a bunch of internet coaches think they can judge a midfielder better than three of the greatest midfield players of their generation (Zidane, Vieira and Xavi). When those three guys say that a guy they played against several times was the best at what he did - they are probably right. Makes me laugh that guys who have never played football beyond a kick-about with their mates think they know more about football than ZZ, Vieira and Xavi!

For those of you doubting his quality...do you remember when Man U beat Barca in the CL semi a few years ago? Do you remember who scored the 30 yard screamer goal against Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Eto'o, Puyol and co?....

[/video]

[/video]
kalani wrote:You guys should slow down with your Scholes bashing. He may not have been as fancy as some of you may like your players to be, but he was in no way average. Especially during the late 90's he was one of Europe's top midfielders, that's why he was admired by so many players. Even after the game against Barcelona he had about 4 players all trying to get his jersey.
Last edited by wiseone on Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.