Why did Man United spend 18m on De Gea ?

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle
Re: Why did Man United spend 18m on De Gea ?

Post by tfco »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

No keeper can be motivated to keep for that team, it has way too many mediocre players. like 8 of the 10 outfield players that started will struggle in the Championship.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

oscar52 wrote:No keeper can be motivated to keep for that team, it has way too many mediocre players. like 8 of the 10 outfield players that started will struggle in the Championship.
Bingo!! everyone blaming DeGea and Pogba forgetting the team has too many mediocre players
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Marko, is mediocrity not only entirely arbitrary, but an absolutely subjective unit of measure? To some, Big Wesley Onyebuchukwu Morgan and Robbynice Huth, were the epitome of mediocrity the summer before the impossible dream. By the season’s end, they were, albeit for 38 games, a class above. One would have it that, mediocrity is merely a checkpoint along the pendulous path of a player’s performance level. Ability imparts influence on the likelihood of performance exceeding standard, but that alone doesn’t hold hegemony over play and productivity.

The question is not simply one of limited ability, for few meet Fuchs, Danny Simpson and Andy King square on in such contest. The question is and always has been, why was Wesley, Van Dijk for a season, yet Smalling, Jones et al, arguably more able than Captain Morgan spiced, by comparison, have been bootleg bourbon brewed in an ogogoro outhouse?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Apart from Van Dijk, Rudiger, Vertonghen, Aldeweireld, and Laporte, how many CDs in the EPL can honestly say they are streets ahead of Smalling and Jones in ability?
Coach wrote:@Marko, is mediocrity not only entirely arbitrary, but an absolutely subjective unit of measure? To some, Big Wesley Onyebuchukwu Morgan and Robbynice Huth, were the epitome of mediocrity the summer before the impossible dream. By the season’s end, they were, albeit for 38 games, a class above. One would have it that, mediocrity is merely a checkpoint along the pendulous path of a player’s performance level. Ability imparts influence on the likelihood of performance exceeding standard, but that alone doesn’t hold hegemony over play and productivity.

The question is not simply one of limited ability, for few meet Fuchs, Danny Simpson and Andy King square on in such contest. The question is and always has been, why was Wesley, Van Dijk for a season, yet Smalling, Jones et al, arguably more able than Captain Morgan spiced, by comparison, have been bootleg bourbon brewed in an ogogoro outhouse?
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

wiseone wrote:Apart from Van Dijk, Rudiger, Vertonghen, Aldeweireld, and Laporte, how many CDs in the EPL can honestly say they are streets ahead of Smalling and Jones in ability?
Jesus wept

The chuckle brothers' ability is not United quality

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Maybe not. My point is unless you think Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, and Man City will start selling their best CDs to Man Utd, finding upgrades to them in the transfer market will be a tough task.
tfco wrote:
wiseone wrote:Apart from Van Dijk, Rudiger, Vertonghen, Aldeweireld, and Laporte, how many CDs in the EPL can honestly say they are streets ahead of Smalling and Jones in ability?
Jesus wept

Last edited by wiseone on Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

tfco wrote:
Jesus wept

Really Smalling, jones? They english, say no more!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

The fans of Red Mancunia revel in their shameless circus of casuistry, this one, that one is not good enough. Fuchs, Wesley El Capitan Morgan, Huth, Simpson, King, Albrighton...not one ever “United” quality, a mythical standard presumed a prerequisite for Premiership success. Leicester City, void of that very quality, Premier league champions a season after braving the relegation dogfight. Conor Coady, Matt Doherty, Wily Basille Boly, the standard? Hardly and yet, manhandling many of the Premiership’s thoroughbreds.

B*llocks to the lot of it.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

marko wrote:
tfco wrote:
Jesus wept

I've been reading snippets of Ade's quotes this past week

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

tfco wrote:
marko wrote:
tfco wrote:
Jesus wept

I've been reading snippets of Ade's quotes this past week
We have during invincible,Ade came late to the show when Wenger was selling us melon and say its white wine
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

contract issues

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

In the EPL once when gets beneath the elite level of VVD, Vertonghem, Toby, and Laporte, there is not really much difference in ability between the remaining CDs. Sokratis, Jones, Mee, Zouma, seem much of a muchness.

When it comes to FBs, Dave Azpilucueta is absolute top quality and one of the most underrated FBs in the game. Proper defender that lad.
Coach wrote:The fans of Red Mancunia revel in their shameless circus of casuistry, this one, that one is not good enough. Fuchs, Wesley El Capitan Morgan, Huth, Simpson, King, Albrighton...not one ever “United” quality, a mythical standard presumed a prerequisite for Premiership success. Leicester City, void of that very quality, Premier league champions a season after braving the relegation dogfight. Conor Coady, Matt Doherty, Wily Basille Boly, the standard? Hardly and yet, manhandling many of the Premiership’s thoroughbreds.

B*llocks to the lot of it.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Form is temporary, Class is permanent. De Gea is a top class gk.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I cannot understand Man Utd fans who keep saying that the club “should sell De Gea and buy a better GK”. Where does this fictional and available better GK play? How much will he cost to buy?

De Gea has been keeping Man Utd’s head above water for the last 10 years.

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

wiseone wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:55 am I cannot understand Man Utd fans who keep saying that the club “should sell De Gea and buy a better GK”. Where does this fictional and available better GK play? How much will he cost to buy?

De Gea has been keeping Man Utd’s head above water for the last 10 years.

...his quick reflexes were unreal yesterday, then na very simple goal dem go score against him.
Someone in the United goalie department knows his worth reason why they kept him.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Most GKs would not even save (let alone catch) a fierce shot like this heading for the top corner. It was so amazing that Raphinha actually scratched his head in disbelief.

Yet no one talks about it because DDG has “normalised” spectacular saves like this.

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

kajifu wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:34 am
Lager-back wrote:Young kid from spain.. inexperienced in the big stage, why did SAF sign him for that amount ? It sounds ridiculous to spend that much on a goalie of this calibre. Was Man U expecting some other club to poach him at that incredible price in a few years time that they had to go sign him up asap ?

kai.. this one na money miss road. If not for Torres and Carroll doing their waste-piping, this ex-atletico goalie would be under huge criticism.
Sir Alex a master of signing players.
This transaction need to be investigate.
De Gea for 18 million? Even a young striker will not cost that much.
City should be doing this not Sir Alex.
The two opening posts of this thread, Jan 2012.

11 years on…. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Can this thread be moved to world football forum
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Clean sheet record holder for the club (more than Schmeichel, Van der Sar, Stepney et al), nearly 200 clean sheets, 4 times player of the year.

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I agree with Yorkie. Onana is not as good a shot stopper as De Gea. I am not even sure that Onana is a better pure GK than Henderson either. He is better with his feet than both of them, but I have a bad feeling that Man Utd will miss Miracle Dave’s ability to pull off indescribable saves.

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

I disagree with Yorkie since this is all about feelings. There are areas where De Gea is better than Onana and there are areas where Onana is better than De Gea. The manager has seen both of them extensively at close quarters. We love Dave and he will remain a club legend but we won't pretend not to see his numerous "miraculous" costly blunders too, so he is human and we can live with that. Onana is our No.1 now and there is nothing anyone can do about that.
wiseone wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:25 pm I agree with Yorkie. Onana is not as good a shot stopper as De Gea. I am not even sure that Onana is a better pure GK than Henderson either. He is better with his feet than both of them, but I have a bad feeling that Man Utd will miss Miracle Dave’s ability to pull off indescribable saves.

*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

YemiBrazil - if Man Utd was a dominant ball hogging team like Man City that gets 60-70% possession in most of its games and rarely gives the opposition chances, Onana would be ideal. When you always have the ball you can afford to have a GK who is good with his feet but average at making saves.

Unfortunately, Man Utd is not a dominant ball hogging team. It is a team that gives the opposition loads of chances and that last season conceded 17 goals in only 3 games. A team like that needs a GK who is brilliant at keeping the ball out of the net. In that regard, DDG is elite. He is not the best all round GK in the world, but he is the best shot stopper in the world.

I actually think the overlooked Henderson is a happy medium between DDG and Onana. He is not as good a shot stopper as DDG but is better with his feet and more commanding in the box. He is not as good a ball player as Onana, but is a better shot stopper than him. Henderson is also good at something that DDG is terrible at: saving penalties.
YemiBrazil wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:03 pm
I disagree with Yorkie since this is all about feelings. There are areas where De Gea is better than Onana and there are areas where Onana is better than De Gea. The manager has seen both of them extensively at close quarters. We love Dave and he will remain a club legend but we won't pretend not to see his numerous "miraculous" costly blunders too, so he is human and we can live with that. Onana is our No.1 now and there is nothing anyone can do about that.