Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by wiseone »

Just watched ex Man Utd defender Chris “Mike” Smalling put in a shift for Roma. He looked solid and steady. Not Baresi, but looks like a defender of 🔝 6 club ability.

Then I thought: why did Man Utd sell him, keep Jones and Lindelof, and pay 80 million for Maguire? None of Jones, Lindelof, and Maguire is a better player than Smalling. The fact that Man Utd paid over 110 million for Lindelof and Maguire (none of whom is better than a solid but not outstanding Smalling) is an indictment of the club’s recruitment.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Bellingham is such a hot prospect that it would even have been worthwhile to avoid signing Casemiro, saved the money and contributed it to signing Bellingham - who might play at the top level for the next 10-15 years.
wiseone wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:21 pm If a Premier League club is serious about “future proofing” its midfield, Jude Bellingham is the ideal player to sign. He is such a good player already - and he is only 19 yo! 😳 Instead of blowing 90 million on two players with a combined age of 67, I would not have minded if the bulk of that money was spent on Bellingham. At least that way it would almost guarantee the stability of the club’s midfield for the next 12-15 years. The length of service one could get from him would justify the large fee (a bit like when Man Utd splashed out on Rooney and he became the top scorer for his club and country).

Then again, I understand that a new manager is under pressure to deliver results immediately and does not have the luxury of thinking long term.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

wiseone wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:43 pm Bellingham is such a hot prospect that it would even have been worthwhile to avoid signing Casemiro, saved the money and contributed it to signing Bellingham - who might play at the top level for the next 10-15 years.
wiseone wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:21 pm If a Premier League club is serious about “future proofing” its midfield, Jude Bellingham is the ideal player to sign. He is such a good player already - and he is only 19 yo! 😳 Instead of blowing 90 million on two players with a combined age of 67, I would not have minded if the bulk of that money was spent on Bellingham. At least that way it would almost guarantee the stability of the club’s midfield for the next 12-15 years. The length of service one could get from him would justify the large fee (a bit like when Man Utd splashed out on Rooney and he became the top scorer for his club and country).

Then again, I understand that a new manager is under pressure to deliver results immediately and does not have the luxury of thinking long term.
Bellingham and Casemiro play different positions. perhaps you should have saved on Antony and Martinez as well? :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?