Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by kajifu »

YemiBrazil wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:36 pm Just make sure you don't feck it up :D
Top 2 is a must at this stage
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Man Utd has a long tradition of excellent wingers: Best, Kanchelskis, Giggs, Ronaldo etc. So far Antony gives me memories of Memphis Depay more than he does Giggs.

I am not sure what he excels at (except giving the ball away, running into dead ends, and turning into opposition players). So far he does not look like an £85 million pound player.

AWB: I saw another benefit to having him in the side today. Martinelli has been tearing FBs a new one this season. I noticed that he was not keen on taking on AWB because he knows that AWB is a FB he cannot beat in a 1 on 1 foot race, and that his telescopic legs can always win the ball back. AWB kept Martinelli so quiet that the latter had to be substituted. How many FBs have done that to Martinelli this season?
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Before the game i hoped for a draw, which is what i thought would have been fair result for United.
I was worried about another 6-3 defeat like the one vs City.

As someone mentioned, not title winning material yet, maybe need a few more better players.

At the start of the the season this Man United was. getting smashed by Brentford and Brighton, so i think there's some improvement.
Overall not too bad, it was a 3-2 loss it was close.
Had some players played better and it could have been a surprise win away.

But now the fixtures start to pile up and the worries may start.
Last edited by benteke on Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

wiseone wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:29 am Man Utd has a long tradition of excellent wingers: Best, Kanchelskis, Giggs, Ronaldo etc. So far Antony gives me memories of Memphis Depay more than he does Giggs.

I am not sure what he excels at (except giving the ball away, running into dead ends, and turning into opposition players). So far he does not look like an £85 million pound player.

AWB: I saw another benefit to having him in the side today. Martinelli has been tearing FBs a new one this season. I noticed that he was not keen on taking on AWB because he knows that AWB is a FB he cannot beat in a 1 on 1 foot race, and that his telescopic legs can always win the ball back. AWB kept Martinelli so quiet that the latter had to be substituted. How many FBs have done that to Martinelli this season?
100M pounds of money miss road
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:54 am
wiseone wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:29 am Man Utd has a long tradition of excellent wingers: Best, Kanchelskis, Giggs, Ronaldo etc. So far Antony gives me memories of Memphis Depay more than he does Giggs.

100M pounds of money miss road
You see how Ten Hag has worked on Wan Bissaka, i saw you marvelling at his baller skills.
That's Ten Hag's work.

I am confident that Antony will be marshalled to the bench and re oriented and maybe by next season will emerge as a more focused player.
Let's hope and wait.
Jadon Sancho is being worked on as we speak
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Benteke - AWB was always a good defender. I do not think his form has anything to do with ETH.

I am deeply worried about Antony. He had a nightmare yesterday. Man Utd spent a combined amount of £160 million on him and Sancho. One has spent the last 2 months out of the team suffering from football PTSD, while the other is playing like Pepe without speed.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Benteke. Anthony has been a poor signing. I have no idea what he does on the pitch
SuperEagles

Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Martinelli has not been good in the last 4-5 games. Seem he is running on fumes and that will be the best part of Trossard signing.

AWB is good but a peak Martinelli will have smoked him yesterday.

For Antony, the guy need to tone down the atilogwu dancing and focus on playing for the team. So far he has been money miss road. But deep inside there is a very good player that will give defenders nightmares with the right coaching and attitude.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Cito wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:44 pm

Martinelli has not been good in the last 4-5 games. Seem he is running on fumes and that will be the best part of Trossard signing.

For Antony, the guy need to tone down the atilogwu dancing and focus on playing for the team. So far he has been money miss road. But deep inside there is a very good player that will give defenders nightmares with the right coaching and attitude.
cito the *o*o so in your cooked up logic, Trosaad won't run out of fumes also? I guess he didn't play a worldcup plus 15 plus games for BHA this season .
SuperEagles

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Your "atilogwu dancing" comment about Antony is pure wickedness. :rotf:

Cito, AWB has put high class wingers like Salah, Mane, and Zaha in his back pocket. I do not think Martinelli would have troubled him - whatever form he was in. AWB humbled Martinelli on pure reputation. He kept turning inside for the "safe option" and only once in the entire game did he try to take AWB on down the line. That is the mark of a winger who knows "there is no point in taking on this AWB fella - no one outruns him 1 on 1".

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Regardless, there is always going to be one winner in a face off between Martinelli and AWB. It would take a lot for Martinelli to go through him more than 2 times in the entire 90 minutes if at all.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

AWB is good but he met a player that hasn't been good in a few games. The guy is exhausted.

Like you rightfully pointed, Martinelli kept shying away from taking him on. Go back and watch Martinelli's first 10games and see how he took every one on. Now compare with the last 5.

Good thing is Trossard will carry some of the load going forward.
wiseone wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:50 pm Your "atilogwu dancing" comment about Antony is pure wickedness. :rotf:

Cito, AWB has put high class wingers like Salah, Mane, and Zaha in his back pocket. I do not think Martinelli would have troubled him - whatever form he was in. AWB humbled Martinelli on pure reputation. He kept turning inside for the "safe option" and only once in the entire game did he try to take AWB on down the line. That is the mark of a winger who knows "there is no point in taking on this AWB fella - no one outruns him 1 on 1".

"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

CIto, the point is that the likes of Salah, Sterling, Mane, Zaha were also eating up everyone in front of them until they faced a proper tackling full back like AWB. Mertinelli's exhaustion is an excuse but it doesn't tell the full story behind this debate. Watch his style of attack and watch AWB defensive qualities and you could see that this is a no-brainer. It is a mere debate though, the only concrete fact here is that AWB pocketed him on matchday.
Cito wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:37 pm AWB is good but he met a player that hasn't been good in a few games. The guy is exhausted.

Like you rightfully pointed, Martinelli kept shying away from taking him on. Go back and watch Martinelli's first 10games and see how he took every one on. Now compare with the last 5.

Good thing is Trossard will carry some of the load going forward.
wiseone wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:50 pm Your "atilogwu dancing" comment about Antony is pure wickedness. :rotf:

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Cito and YemiBrazil - did you see Zaha’s post game interview after AWB’s 94th minute game saving tackle on him in the game v Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park?

Notice that Zaha said that as soon as he realised it was AWB chasing him he said to himself “Oh my God! It’s Aaron. He is the only one that can do that scoop tackle”- because he knew AWB was the only player who could dispossess him from such a seemingly impossible situation.

Last edited by wiseone on Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Poor Donny Van De Beek really has rotten luck. He has been out with an injury and then finally gets a chance to be in the team and play for a manager who coached him at Ajax.

In his first start of the season he got injured about 30 minutes into the game, had to leave the field, and is now out injured for the rest of the season after surgery.

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Full strength team in the 1st leg of the Carabao Cup semi-final (except the suspended Maguire, Shaw (ill), Varane (rested), Tuanzebe (injured), Jones (career presumably over)). Dean Henderson was injured and thus absent for Forest (and could not play against his parent club Man Utd anyway even if fit). Lingard on the end of a 0-3 hiding in the same week he did a long interview about all the things wrong with Man Utd and how behind the club is. 😁

Good 3-0 win away at the City Ground, Rashford with another excellent solo goal and his 10th goal in his last 10 games (since the World Cup) and Weghorst with his first goal for the club.

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

ETH confirms that Phil Jones (who has played 2 games in the last 3 years) has not been fit enough to take part in any training sessions since ETH took over last year. As I have said before, I think that Jones has a serious health issue that the club is not mentioning- in order to preserve his medical privacy. Whatever it is I hope Jones recovers to be able to live a healthy life with his family.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... ts-wrapper
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

A former Man Utd player will return to Old Trafford today as Paul Ince leads his Reading team in a 4th round FA Cup clash against Man Utd.

With the 2nd leg of the Carabao Cup SF next week (and Utd already 3-0 from the first leg), this is a good opportunity for Utd to rotate the team. Dalot and Shaw are injured/ill and Bruno F is one booking away from being suspended.

I would name the following starting 11 (with Sancho on the bench after his recent return to Carrington):

Heaton
AWB-Lindelof-Slabhead-Malacia
McTominay-Fred
Eriksen
Elanga-Weghorst-Garnacho

Subs: Butland, Martinez, Williams, Casemiro, Antony, Sancho, Rashford, Pellestri,
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Amad Diallo won 2 simultaneous awards: EFL young player of the month AND PFA player of the month.

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Rashford’s disallowed goal in today’s FA Cup 4th round match against Reading requires some explanation. Rashford has had some absolute stinker refereeing decisions go against him this season (v Everton, Wolves, and now Reading).

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Loaded February for United.

8 matches!

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Even with the insults, he is the teams best player. Went to Emirates and was humiliated because he wasnt there. he comes back and scores 2 goals! But remember, someone was insulting him when he decided to reduce his standard and join this club.

"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

After a right wing drought lasting several years, Man Utd suddenly has many options for that position. Ex Spurs boss Tim Sherwood told Sky Sports that Amad Diallo has played better than Antony this season.

Next season will be interesting as Antony, Sancho, Garnacho, Diallo, Elanga, and Pellestri will by vying for that RW position. Clearly the club cannot have 6 RWs on the books so some of them will have to leave.