Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by Scipio Africanus »

ohsee wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:04 pm
danfo driver wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:44 pm
ohsee wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:58 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:59 pm Can Arsenal take points off City? Kai! This team sef!
Nna, na wa for City. The EPL should make City play minus one or even two players, that's how good they are. In all the talk about their forwards and midfielders, we forget about the defenders. Today--and in the last game he played for Switzerland--Akanji looked like the second coming of Virgil van Dijk. The van Dijk of two seasons ago, that is. Bobo is calm and collected on the ball, and plays like he is playing against small pikins. Has he always been like this, or is this the influence of Pep? Pep claims to know how to make defenders better.
Uncle, the Akanji praise is laughable. I saw him at Dortmund and he was okay -- not great. I have seen him at City and he is better than the horrid Ake, but still not great.

We all saw how shaky their defense looked once Pep started taking out the starting forward players who keep possession of the ball and deprive the opponents space to put pressure on their defense.

Laporte is back soon and I expect him to partner Dias. Akanji and Stones as back ups and the sh11t Ake as 5th choice.
Well, Chief, maybe you are right. I don't pretend to be an expert on footie. But your opinion is in the minority (not that minority opinion is wrong). Twtter is blowing up over Akanji, and the commentators on the EPL Channel were effusively singing his praises. But we are only four games in. He may revert to the form you have seen at Dortmund in the coming games. I have to agree that except for the last game I was never impressed with his performances for the Swiss national team.
Speaking of the Swiss team, I think they will shock us at the upcoming WC. Brazil and Serbia better watch out. Cameroon as expected, will be forcefully bundled inside a Swiss Bank account and forgotten.

Wha choo looking at?!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Mr. Piffington wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:20 pm
wiseone wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:28 pm Not sure why Akanji is getting so much praise after leaking 3 goals against an outclassed opponent - while playing for the best team in the world.
Did you watch the game at all?
I watched the game and he is a good player. he performed as good as Ake and that tells you a lot. He is a good player, but thats it.

I remember when everyone used to sing praises of his former team mate, Zagadou! I watched Zagadou, ONCE!! Bro, I am not lying! ONCE! :lol: and i knew he was sh1t! I am someone who always recommends that you watch players multiple times before you make a judgment. However, I watched this chap once and I immediately recognized how shiaaat he is! He lacked every single basic of a defender. I am not surprised he was released from Dortmund and ended up at Stuttgart AFTER the market was over. No one wanted him! :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:58 pm
danfo driver wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:45 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:35 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:59 pm Can Arsenal take points off City? Kai! This team sef!
Nna, na wa for City. The EPL should make City play minus one or even two players, that's how good they are. In all the talk about their forwards and midfielders, we forget about the defenders. Today--and in the last game he played for Switzerland--Akanji looked like the second coming of Virgil van Dijk. The van Dijk of two seasons ago, that is. Bobo is calm and collected on the ball, and plays like he is playing against small pikins. Has he always been like this, or is this the influence of Pep? Pep claims to know how to make defenders better.
Pep has undoubtedly influenced Akanji's sense of positioning and confidence on the ball. But back to how to beat City. Arsenal came close last season but for a disallowed(wrongfully IMO) goal and a sending off.

The playbook to beat City is a very difficult one. Carefully co-ordinated pressing(requiring very fit and very well drilled players) to put them off their rhythm, skillful passers to pick out runners on the wings or deliver perfect through balls, and quality finishers to put the ball away (like what Vieira's team did to them last season). A lot of "ands" :scared: :scared: :scared: because if you slip up on any of those, City will punish you IMMEDIATELY, not 10 minutes later, not 5 minutes later, not even 2 minutes later o!, but IMMMEDIATELY!
:lol: :lol: :lol: No he hasnt. You guys are just making stuff up now. Akanji is under less pressure simply because City keeps the ball more than Dortmund.
Of course Pep has influenced Akanji's play. You won't play on Pep's team if he doesn't see you taking his tips on board. Next you'll be telling me Pep hasn't influenced Haaland's play :laugh:
Pep has NOT influenced Haaland. FACT!

The good thing about watching football in multiple leagues is that you get to see these players before they come to England and the English cannot claim that they "made" these players. I saw haaland in Austria and Germany and he is playing at City exactly the way he played in Austria, Germany and CL. When Pep influences him, like he has influenced someone like Walker, I'll let you know.

P.s has Pep influenced Grealish as well? :D
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

danfo driver wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:48 pm
Pep has undoubtedly influenced Akanji's sense of positioning and confidence on the ball. But back to how to beat City. Arsenal came close last season but for a disallowed(wrongfully IMO) goal and a sending off.

The playbook to beat City is a very difficult one. Carefully co-ordinated pressing(requiring very fit and very well drilled players) to put them off their rhythm, skillful passers to pick out runners on the wings or deliver perfect through balls, and quality finishers to put the ball away (like what Vieira's team did to them last season). A lot of "ands" :scared: :scared: :scared: because if you slip up on any of those, City will punish you IMMEDIATELY, not 10 minutes later, not 5 minutes later, not even 2 minutes later o!, but IMMMEDIATELY!
:lol: :lol: :lol: No he hasnt. You guys are just making stuff up now. Akanji is under less pressure simply because City keeps the ball more than Dortmund.
Of course Pep has influenced Akanji's play. You won't play on Pep's team if he doesn't see you taking his tips on board. Next you'll be telling me Pep hasn't influenced Haaland's play :laugh:

The good thing about watching football in multiple leagues is that you get to see these players before they come to England and the English cannot claim that they "made" these players. I saw haaland in Austria and Germany and he is playing at City exactly the way he played in Austria, Germany and CL. When Pep influences him, like he has influenced someone like Walker, I'll let you know.

Haba! "Influenced" no bi di same as "made" naw! So far, Haaland is deadlier than he ever was in Germany. A big part of that is Pep's influence. You think Haaland would be banging in this many goals if he was playing for ... Klopp? :mrgreen:

Wha choo looking at?!
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:09 am

Haba! "Influenced" no bi di same as "made" naw! So far, Haaland is deadlier than he ever was in Germany. A big part of that is Pep's influence. You think Haaland would be banging in this many goals if he was playing for ... Klopp? :mrgreen:
I'd like to think its mostly because Haaland has joined a well oiled team that always creates tonnes and tonnes of chances, and also he himself is making a mockery of the so called best league on earth, he is finding it very easy to slot it hattricks and bully defences.

If some want to sum that up as Peps influence so quickly then who am i to argue, i mean we cannot dispute that Pep works with him on tge training ground and gives him loads of instructions to carry out :biggrin:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

This is false. Literally factually false. Its obvious you didn't watch Haaland in Austria and Germany. You should look at his stats in those leagues + CL and compare it to his performance in City. Its actually the same. no difference.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

danfo driver wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:42 am

This is false. Literally factually false. Its obvious you didn't watch Haaland in Austria and Germany. You should look at his stats in those leagues + CL and compare it to his performance in City. Its actually the same. no difference.
These are Haaland's stats with City:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... his-season
Those numbers produce a staggering league ratio of 1.89 goals per 90 minutes - more potent than any other player in Europe's top five leagues this season to have played in excess of 144 minutes.
These are Haaland's stats with Dortmund

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundeslig ... liga-17527
Haaland struck a further six times before the season was out, ending the 2019/20 Rückrunde on 13 goals in 15 Bundesliga appearances - or one every 81.7 minutes.
So far, Haaland has 1.89 goals per 90 minutes under Pep (0.021 GPM) vahsus 1 goal per 81.7 minutes at Dortmund (0.012 GPM). That's almost double his strike rate at Dortmund! :mrgreen: Are you still denying that Pep is an ... influencer? :laugh:

Wha choo looking at?!
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

But, isn’t the stat you posted a bit simplistic? Can you post the number of conversion he got per quality chances created and that may show a clearer picture?

Showing goals scored as a function of time on field can be misleading. Now he has Debruyne, Silver and Gundoghan. Of course he will get more quality services per game.

Scipio Africanus wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:35 am

Those numbers produce a staggering league ratio of 1.89 goals per 90 minutes - more potent than any other player in Europe's top five leagues this season to have played in excess of 144 minutes.

Haaland struck a further six times before the season was out, ending the 2019/20 Rückrunde on 13 goals in 15 Bundesliga appearances - or one every 81.7 minutes.
So far, Haaland has 1.89 goals per 90 minutes under Pep (0.021 GPM) vahsus 1 goal per 81.7 minutes at Dortmund (0.012 GPM). That's almost double his strike rate at Dortmund! :mrgreen: Are you still denying that Pep is an ... influencer? :laugh:
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Cito wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:17 pm But, isn’t the stat you posted a bit simplistic? Can you post the number of conversion he got per quality chances created and that may show a clearer picture?

Showing goals scored as a function of time on field can be misleading. Now he has Debruyne, Silver and Gundoghan. Of course he will get more quality services per game.

First of all, what are you doing here? Does this look like the Arsenal thread to you? :-x

Abeg comot for road and let danfo defend himself. :mrgreen: After danfo defends himself I'll set you straight :laugh:

Wha choo looking at?!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: leave the guy. I told him to go and check number of goals in Austria, Germany and CL, rather than doing that, he is posting ratio based on a 8 games. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is well. You can take a horse to the stream, but na e own responsibility to do more, if it chooses to do so.

Cito wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:17 pm But, isn’t the stat you posted a bit simplistic? Can you post the number of conversion he got per quality chances created and that may show a clearer picture?

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

danfo driver wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:26 pm :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: leave the guy. I told him to go and check number of goals in Austria, Germany and CL, rather than doing that, he is posting ratio based on a 8 games. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is well. You can take a horse to the stream, but na e own responsibility to do more, if it chooses to do so.

My dear fellow, you don't compare absolute number of goals when the number of games played ain't the same for Haaland in the PL and the Bundesliga. You either use ratios or you say from jump that we should avoid making comparisons until the end of the season. Shebi you go school? :mrgreen: Now go and feed your pet Cito. Abeg make sure you give him an extra biscuit. He really tried for you today. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Wha choo looking at?!
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

United need three players, 2 midfielders and another central defender, yes i mean another central defender. I love Martinez but until United can learn to keep possession and deny coming under incessant attacks , their frailty at the back(size wise) would continue to be exploited. At the moment they have only one proper midfielder Ericcson, Bruno is a support striker pretending to be a midfielder, other than being good at pressing and moaning, he is one of the culprits who lack creativity with what to do with the ball or how to dictate the tempo of the game. ETH was the dearth of creativity in his team , so he decided to play Erricsson from the deep , something akin to Modric, but then it takes more than one creative midfielder to play possession football.

I am baffled by one thing though, why is ETH still trying to play the United way? Sit back and then break on the counter, it seems that is the only approach United comes to the games with. The problem here is , if it does not work , they shyte at every other aspect of the game, in fact they become sitting ducks for their opponents, they dont even have to be City, heck Watford did them for 6 easily, Brentford could have done them for 6.

ETH should go get his De Jong or whatever midfielder out there he can get, he should start playing like the Ajax I saw and discard this dated United way tactics, or simply make it one of the options or variables of their game.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Answer the question my fren.... :D
This space na part of cyberia nah.
Scipio Africanus wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:23 pm

First of all, what are you doing here? Does this look like the Arsenal thread to you? :-x

Abeg comot for road and let danfo defend himself. :mrgreen: After danfo defends himself I'll set you straight :laugh:
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Go wash that mouth abi na finger you use type that dross. :twisted:

Me and danfo? Abeg leave me be make his real pet, Pokey no come fight me.

Danfo is a mad man but a man man that knows the game except when it comes to all things Arsenal. :sneaky:
Scipio Africanus wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:44 pm
danfo driver wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:26 pm :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: leave the guy. I told him to go and check number of goals in Austria, Germany and CL, rather than doing that, he is posting ratio based on a 8 games. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My dear fellow, you don't compare absolute number of goals when the number of games played ain't the same for Haaland in the PL and the Bundesliga. You either use ratios or you say from jump that we should avoid making comparisons until the end of the season. Shebi you go school? :mrgreen: Now go and feed your pet Cito. Abeg make sure you give him an extra biscuit. He really tried for you today. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
100%Naija
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 100%Naija »

The abuse manure suffered should be illegal. Pep pulled the entire starting 11 out plus goalie sef put 4 junior squad bench players back on the field just so onya...eh eh ..Erik ejiot can save face.. kai. shege banza :D
I'm the biggest boss that you've seen thus far, Reppin' PH & NGR to the Fullest
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158494
Babafad wrote: My brother, dis money go scatter akara for inside oil. Just dey watch!
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

oloye wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:15 pm United need three players, 2 midfielders and another central defender, yes i mean another central defender. I love Martinez but until United can learn to keep possession and deny coming under incessant attacks , their frailty at the back(size wise) would continue to be exploited. At the moment they have only one proper midfielder Ericcson, Bruno is a support striker pretending to be a midfielder, other than being good at pressing and moaning, he is one of the culprits who lack creativity with what to do with the ball or how to dictate the tempo of the game. ETH was the dearth of creativity in his team , so he decided to play Erricsson from the deep , something akin to Modric, but then it takes more than one creative midfielder to play possession football.

I am baffled by one thing though, why is ETH still trying to play the United way? Sit back and then break on the counter, it seems that is the only approach United comes to the games with. The problem here is , if it does not work , they shyte at every other aspect of the game, in fact they become sitting ducks for their opponents, they dont even have to be City, heck Watford did them for 6 easily, Brentford could have done them for 6.

ETH should go get his De Jong or whatever midfielder out there he can get, he should start playing like the Ajax I saw and discard this dated United way tactics, or simply make it one of the options or variables of their game.
I think Ten Hag would love and try to play his expansive possession football, but when he picks the likes of Bruno and Scott Mctominey to try and dictate things in midfield, then it's a lost battle of possession even against the midtable EPL teams, not to mention quality like City.
In the end it becomes a forced sit back and counter attack, but a very poor one.
Mctom is there to make up for height, he doesn't do well keeping the ball or playing out of pressure.
Many were wondering how things may have gone if Casemiro had started and Bruno was dropped, it would have been something close to a proper midfield 3
The teams who do well against City always pack their midfield, and some of them have midfielders who can actually keep the ball and create decent chances and make City think twice.

Pep must have salivated when he saw the same line up that won but struggled to keep possession against Arsenal.

Another harsh lesson is around the corner if Ten Hag is naive again
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

100%Naija wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:50 pm The abuse manure suffered should be illegal. Pep pulled the entire starting 11 out plus goalie sef put 4 junior squad bench players back on the field just so onya...eh eh ..Erik ejiot can save face.. kai. shege banza :D
When did this happen? Well me I'm watching Ten Hag vs Arsenal... don't let me call Rashford for you o :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Haaland is a quality player, but make we talk true , he scores tap ins all because of the brilliance of KDB
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

100%Naija wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:50 pm The abuse manure suffered should be illegal. Pep pulled the entire starting 11 out plus goalie sef put 4 junior squad bench players back on the field just so onya...eh eh ..Erik ejiot can save face.. kai. shege banza :D
why tell lies?
SuperEagles

Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:30 am Haaland is a quality player, but make we talk true , he scores tap ins all because of the brilliance of KDB
When he was in Dortmund was he scoring tap ins because of KDB too?
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Mr. Piffington wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:06 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:30 am Haaland is a quality player, but make we talk true , he scores tap ins all because of the brilliance of KDB
have you actually seen all his goals 97.23% are tap ins from the 6 yard box

SuperEagles

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:16 pm

We are being told in this thread that Pep in a few months has already influenced him in the art of tap ins
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
benteke wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:25 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:16 pm

We are being told in this thread that Pep in a few months has already influenced him in the art of tap ins