Monaco vs Arsenal 0-2 (FT) (Agg 3-3) Monaco advance

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Monaco vs Arsenal 0-2 (FT) (Agg 3-3) Monaco advance

Post by platinum »

Skylolo wrote:
Are you suggesting Arsenal's future even if we looked back from a decade ago has not been good? I know you will be quick to refer to the same old 1 trophy in 10 years but do genuine Arsenal fans who know what it takes to be successful not know the reason why this was the case? Was our main target over those years not to remain a CL outfit and did we fail to achieve that despite selling our best players year on year?

Why should a Arsenal fan not say the future is bright when we have recovered from the stadium move, broken the trophy drought last season, improved our team and gotten closer to the top teams and have the players and funds in the bank with the FFP rules to push on in the future?

You have to understand the curse of every football manager and fan is to always look to the future, that is not to say things are not good in the present with 9 games to go can we win the title...YES(though unlikely), can we win the FA cup YES.

Yes we are trying to push on and we can be unhappy about the result against Monaco, but I can't understand why getting knocked out of the CL (A competition all those great Arsenal sides from the past - including the invincibles never won) should mean we throw our toys out of the pram and refuse to acknowledge that we are actually improving as a team. Did a genuine title challenging Arsenal team stocked with top class talent not fail to come out of the group with Valencia and Ajax in 2002/03.....was it the strongest Arsenal team that got to the final in 2006?

We need to be realistic, the CL is unpredictable. In the league however we are improving that must be our No.1 focus....like the F.A cup that we may now win 2 years in a row after not making the final for almost 10 years Cup competitions are unpredictable.

First off, let's leave the shenanigans about 'genuine' Arsenal fans for others. I don't find it funny when guys accuse you of not being a true fan because you support other teams alongside Arsenal so leave that rhetoric behind please.

With that out of the way. I've noted several times over the years that the message pumped out by the board and the coach over that time period is very different from what actually happened. For years the story was about how Arsenal was a true contender for the EPL and UCL. Of course, with hindsight we know that was not true. With hindsight, the story now is about how we had to build a stadium and compete with doped sides. No one is interested in the politricking. I've called for Arsenal to invest in a first class marketing team alongside a topnotch PR team, whoever manages the messages coming out of the club has done the job in a slippery manner. You're not saying anything that's new and indeed you're not lying....

The future IS bright. We can all see the makings of a potentially devastating team. Anyone with eyes can see that but it's also very churlish to dismiss those who say "Deja vu, seen and heard it all before". They have every right to express their frustrations and justly so. We have all been saying the future is bright for years now, that is FACT. The future looks bright, that also is a truth.

*I'll choose not to address the UCL failings because that will only serve to aggravate both of us. There's no excuse for not winning the UCL with the invicibles. For me, Arsene's biggest failure.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
emekonia
Egg
Egg

Post by emekonia »

Skylolo wrote:
platinum wrote:
bouncino wrote:
oloye wrote:
bouncino wrote:
theYemster wrote:
Obiagu wrote:I am not going to castigate AW or disrespect him like many in this forum. The loss to Monaco was a blow but the performance of the team was great!. I can see what AW is building and if he adds another solid ball winning DM, this team will be unplayable next season. Of course they will need to keep their star players too.
Which performance exactly? When they got flattened at home like veal scaloppini? Or the one where Monaco sat back and decided to play out a tie that was already won and lost? Just like Bayern, Dortmund, and Milan did previously?

With regards to seeing what Wenger is trying to build...I remember someone saying that after losing to Barcelona in the CL final; I also remember some saying it after losing the carling cup final, and many other times. I suspect we'll still be saying this down the line.
You didn't see the performance? Man city got flattened home and away. You complain when the teams loses and also complain when the team wins.
You guys join other club fans in dissing you team and coach. Ask Ayo whether he had stopped supporting Leeds United or if he has committed suicide.
Yes, they were not winning on the soccer pitch bcos they reprioitized and focused on building financial base. But the club seems to have turned the corner with things looking brightly but people are still focused on what happened in the past. Club won a cup last year and is playing better now than before. Let's drop the old baggage and get behind the team. Chelsea didn't win the EPL for 50 years.
Man City got flattened by a superior and better team. A team with pedigree far superior to Man City the pairing ought ton have been reported to ICC for injustice meted out to City. Don't hide under these fake comparison my good friend, Arsenal lost to a very poor Monaco side! You guys have been building for 10 years now, even the tallest building in the world did not take that long to complete.
Team with pedigree? Did Atletico have better pedigree when they eliminated Chelsea last season or PSG this season. Remind me who beat Liverpool this season both in CL and Europa.
And you say Monaco is poor, until Arsenal they had not conceded at home and only three away in CL this season. Lest you forget, they beat PSG last weekend before playing Arsenal and PSG dumped out Chelsea.
Nobody is hiding. The future looks bright to me and nothing will change that. Won't be dragged into the negative whining alley.
Don't know why whiners want to force others to join them.

The FACT is we've been saying the future looks bright for a decade. I hate this rubbish of calling people whiners when what they present is fact.

You see the glass as half full, and that's fine but don't act as if the others are talking out of their butts, they make very salient points and their fears are valid until proven otherwise.
Are you suggesting Arsenal's future even if we looked back from a decade ago has not been good? I know you will be quick to refer to the same old 1 trophy in 10 years but do genuine Arsenal fans who know what it takes to be successful not know the reason why this was the case? Was our main target over those years not to remain a CL outfit and did we fail to achieve that despite selling our best players year on year?

Why should a Arsenal fan not say the future is bright when we have recovered from the stadium move, broken the trophy drought last season, improved our team and gotten closer to the top teams and have the players and funds in the bank with the FFP rules to push on in the future?

You have to understand the curse of every football manager and fan is to always look to the future, that is not to say things are not good in the present with 9 games to go can we win the title...YES(though unlikely), can we win the FA cup YES.

Yes we are trying to push on and we can be unhappy about the result against Monaco, but I can't understand why getting knocked out of the CL (A competition all those great Arsenal sides from the past - including the invincibles never won) should mean we throw our toys out of the pram and refuse to acknowledge that we are actually improving as a team. Did a genuine title challenging Arsenal team stocked with top class talent not fail to come out of the group with Valencia and Ajax in 2002/03.....was it the strongest Arsenal team that got to the final in 2006?

We need to be realistic, the CL is unpredictable. In the league however we are improving that must be our No.1 focus....like the F.A cup that we may now win 2 years in a row after not making the final for almost 10 years Cup competitions are unpredictable.
:source: Smdh! Please provide source that justifies you and the other lots you consider to be genuine fans :rotf:
bouncino
Egg
Egg

Post by bouncino »

oloye wrote:
bouncino wrote:
oloye wrote:
bouncino wrote:
theYemster wrote:
Obiagu wrote:I am not going to castigate AW or disrespect him like many in this forum. The loss to Monaco was a blow but the performance of the team was great!. I can see what AW is building and if he adds another solid ball winning DM, this team will be unplayable next season. Of course they will need to keep their star players too.
Which performance exactly? When they got flattened at home like veal scaloppini? Or the one where Monaco sat back and decided to play out a tie that was already won and lost? Just like Bayern, Dortmund, and Milan did previously?

With regards to seeing what Wenger is trying to build...I remember someone saying that after losing to Barcelona in the CL final; I also remember some saying it after losing the carling cup final, and many other times. I suspect we'll still be saying this down the line.
You didn't see the performance? Man city got flattened home and away. You complain when the teams loses and also complain when the team wins.
You guys join other club fans in dissing you team and coach. Ask Ayo whether he had stopped supporting Leeds United or if he has committed suicide.
Yes, they were not winning on the soccer pitch bcos they reprioitized and focused on building financial base. But the club seems to have turned the corner with things looking brightly but people are still focused on what happened in the past. Club won a cup last year and is playing better now than before. Let's drop the old baggage and get behind the team. Chelsea didn't win the EPL for 50 years.
Man City got flattened by a superior and better team. A team with pedigree far superior to Man City the pairing ought ton have been reported to ICC for injustice meted out to City. Don't hide under these fake comparison my good friend, Arsenal lost to a very poor Monaco side! You guys have been building for 10 years now, even the tallest building in the world did not take that long to complete.
Team with pedigree? Did Atletico have better pedigree when they eliminated Chelsea last season or PSG this season. Remind me who beat Liverpool this season both in CL and Europa.
And you say Monaco is poor, until Arsenal they had not conceded at home and only three away in CL this season. Lest you forget, they beat PSG last weekend before playing Arsenal and PSG dumped out Chelsea.
Nobody is hiding. The future looks bright to me and nothing will change that. Won't be dragged into the negative whining alley.
Still does not remove the fact that Man City were beaten by a far better team and they would repeat it over and over. If you cannot see the point i am making here, then you can continue to make your comparison. You cannot compare Man City losing to Barca with Arsenal losing to Monaco..the records of both winning teams in europe tells why you cannot go that route. No one is forcing you into any alley, neither am i whining, just pointing out a glaring error here.
Oloye, you know the whining is not for you.
After what seems like a lifetime, the team is beginning to show us quality. What I see is improvement. Why should I dwell on the past failures?
What I don't like is that, while some people are struggling to see the bright side, others are bent on trying to force us to see only negatives. I liken this to the gay issue. It is ok for anyone to be gay but don't force me to accept it.
Arsenal loses a match, the thread is 22 pages but when they win it is only 6-7 pages.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

@bouncino,
Bro you think that people just wake up start whinning about Wenger and Arsenal?
This is the team fans stay with during thick and thin time.Monaco was the easy draw and we throw it away at the first leg.
Even Burnley beat City,Barca is the better team and Arsenal is the better team when you compare with Monaco.So it piss everyone off that for the first time in 5 years we are facing a team we are better than.What did Wenger and the boys do,throw our chances same way we did against the other big boys.
You talk about some people struggle to see the bright side,what exactly is there to see compare to last year that we lead the league for a long time?
The reason most people whine is simply because Wenger doing the same mistake and expect something different.We needed a CD a nd DM,he ignor it in summer and was force to fix it during winter.That is mismanagement and for anyone to get upset about Wenger get insult is a joke.
As for the many pages,we know its our haters coming to laugh at us and some time i dont blame them.I wish we keep win games and the stay away our back.
bouncino
Egg
Egg

Post by bouncino »

kajifu wrote:@bouncino,
This is the team fans stay with during thick and thin time.Monaco was the easy draw and we throw it away at the first leg.
Even Burnley beat City,Barca is the better team and Arsenal is the better team when you compare with Monaco.So it piss everyone off that for the first time in 5 years we are facing a team we are better than.What did Wenger and the boys do,throw our chances same way we did against the other big boys.
You talk about some people struggle to see the bright side,what exactly is there to see compare to last year that we lead the league for a long time?
The reason most people whine is simply because Wenger doing the same mistake and expect something different.We needed a CD a nd DM,he ignor it in summer and was force to fix it during winter.That is mismanagement and for anyone to get upset about Wenger get insult is a joke.
As for the many pages,we know its our haters coming to laugh at us and some time i dont blame them.I wish we keep win games and the stay away our back.
My brother, we have lost the Monaco tie and I have moved on.
I also criticize Wenger. Check the season thread, I said early on that the failure to get DM and CD was a monumental error. Waffi argued against this then.
I do not subscribe to predicting doom and downfall for the team. It is ok to criticize but pouring venom and hoping the team loses to justify one's position is not for me.
This team is better than last year's team. They may have led the league last year, in my opinion, due mainly to a weak Chelsea and Manu teams.
I see improvements and just 3 additions can make a huge difference - DM, good old fashion number 9 and back up CD/DM - and the team is ready. Arteta, Diaby and Flamini should make way.
Skylolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Skylolo »

platinum wrote:
Skylolo wrote:

First off, let's leave the shenanigans about 'genuine' Arsenal fans for others. I don't find it funny when guys accuse you of not being a true fan because you support other teams alongside Arsenal so leave that rhetoric behind please.

With that out of the way. I've noted several times over the years that the message pumped out by the board and the coach over that time period is very different from what actually happened. For years the story was about how Arsenal was a true contender for the EPL and UCL. Of course, with hindsight we know that was not true. With hindsight, the story now is about how we had to build a stadium and compete with doped sides. No one is interested in the politricking. I've called for Arsenal to invest in a first class marketing team alongside a topnotch PR team, whoever manages the messages coming out of the club has done the job in a slippery manner. You're not saying anything that's new and indeed you're not lying....

The future IS bright. We can all see the makings of a potentially devastating team. Anyone with eyes can see that but it's also very churlish to dismiss those who say "Deja vu, seen and heard it all before". They have every right to express their frustrations and justly so. We have all been saying the future is bright for years now, that is FACT. The future looks bright, that also is a truth.

*I'll choose not to address the UCL failings because that will only serve to aggravate both of us. There's no excuse for not winning the UCL with the invicibles. For me, Arsene's biggest failure.
Maybe the messages out of the could have been managed better, but a club of Arsenal's size cannot come out and say we will not try and win the league.....how do you think our top players might have reacted to that?

I am happy you see the future we can all see, but that is the wonderful thing about life nothing is for certain who would have thought we will be back in the running somewhat this season with the terrible start we made?....the potential is there we have to hope we can bring it all together to win the league title. Personally I am optimistic for next season, I think City are in trouble because FFP restrictions mean they can't go all out and this their team looks be be close to end of its life cycle....Chelsea are the ones we will need to beat.

Funny enough I remember we had such a strong hold on Chelsea until that Quarter final when they beat us in 2003/04 and things have changed ever since...for me had we not taken a few steps back with the Emirates stadium project we would have made more of an impact in the CL. That is life...we made our choice...I personally feel it was the right one and we have to live with it.
To God be the glory
Skylolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Skylolo »

emekonia wrote: :source: Smdh! Please provide source that justifies you and the other lots you consider to be genuine fans :rotf:
There are a lot of people that talk about Arsenal, not all of them are genuine Arsenal fans in my opinion.

And not all genuine Arsenal fans are realistic, there are Arsenal fans for example who believed we should have won the league when we were selling our best players and continue to whine about it until today.
To God be the glory
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

bouncino wrote:
I also criticize Wenger. Check the season thread, I said early on that the failure to get DM and CD was a monumental error. Waffi argued against this then.
I do not subscribe to predicting doom and downfall for the team. It is ok to criticize but pouring venom and hoping the team loses to justify one's position is not for me.
This team is better than last year's team. They may have led the league last year, in my opinion, due mainly to a weak Chelsea and Manu teams.
I see improvements and just 3 additions can make a huge difference - DM, good old fashion number 9 and back up CD/DM - and the team is ready. Arteta, Diaby and Flamini should make way.
My brother what makes you think this team is better than last year?The reason i ask is if we really can not put a fight for the tittle or win FA i can not say this team is better.
I dont agree that last year we were better because Chelsea and Manu were week.Did we beat any of them as they were weak?City win the tittle last year not Manu or Chelsea.This season Manu is not really strong and even Southampton is making wave.We are back to where we are simply because of poor management.
Yes if we add those additional players it will help but Waffi can debate that it will take time for the players to adjust and kill our chances also.
This season right now we are behind Chelsea because we drop some crazy points and no one step up like Ramsey and Walcott befor injury.
We are closer to to get everything right but Wenger is our problem.He might not let Arteta go and will not sign additional DM thinking COQ is the solution.As for striker i doubt Wenger will be adding another striker and CD with Gabriel that we just sign.
So you see why next year we might be talking samething if we had or we should sign this and that.
All what you said if Wenger do then we are fine but i doubt Wenger will let Arteta and Flamini go same time.
Well the is enough film trick as i never expect Wenger to buy any player 40million but he did not only do it but pay that much for just a good additional player.So we might get Messi or a top striker,you never know with Wenger.
bouncino
Egg
Egg

Post by bouncino »

kajifu wrote:
bouncino wrote:
My brother what makes you think this team is better than last year?The reason i ask is if we really can not put a fight for the tittle or win FA i can not say this team is better.
I dont agree that last year we were better because Chelsea and Manu were week.Did we beat any of them as they were weak?City win the tittle last year not Manu or Chelsea.This season Manu is not really strong and even Southampton is making wave.We are back to where we are simply because of poor management.
Yes if we add those additional players it will help but Waffi can debate that it will take time for the players to adjust and kill our chances also.
This season right now we are behind Chelsea because we drop some crazy points and no one step up like Ramsey and Walcott befor injury.
We are closer to to get everything right but Wenger is our problem.He might not let Arteta go and will not sign additional DM thinking COQ is the solution.As for striker i doubt Wenger will be adding another striker and CD with Gabriel that we just sign.
So you see why next year we might be talking samething if we had or we should sign this and that.
All what you said if Wenger do then we are fine but i doubt Wenger will let Arteta and Flamini go same time.
Well the is enough film trick as i never expect Wenger to buy any player 40million but he did not only do it but pay that much for just a good additional player.So we might get Messi or a top striker,you never know with Wenger.
Kajifu,
I now see why you shake. You are judging AW and next season based on your doubts. Relax, if he doesn't buy, then you can shake. Already shaking without reason.
Let me remind you that AW let go 4 midfielders in one season - Diarra, Hleb, Gilberto and Flamini.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Ebyboy wrote:
Skylolo wrote:
bouncino wrote:
oloye wrote:
bouncino wrote:
theYemster wrote:

:clap: :thumbs:
Take a bow Skylolo.......
To Bouncino and Skylolo, I take a bow. :thumb:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

oloye wrote:
bouncino wrote:
theYemster wrote:

Building a stadium or a team. How can a club that sold its best players be building a team? If that's what you are referring to. The first summer he did not sell one of his best players, plus adding quality players he won a major trophy. Is that a coincidence? You my broda knows it is no coincidence.

Make all the excuses about quality, the fact is the Monaco team with their Russian billionaire cost more, and pay far more wages. Make your excuses for City, the fact is you did not make the same excuses when we lost to Barca in much closer contests. Moreover, City have spent the multi millions Barca have spent, but you castigate Arsenal and make excuses for Chelski and City. My broda, Monaco play a different game, it does not make them a poor team.

To be honest, I have moved on from Monaco, We Gooners can see we have the makings of the next great Arsenal team. The funny thing is this team could just achieve greatness this season with luck on their side. We need Chelski to slip up but we must take care of our business, we do that, who knows?

There is a lot for Arsenal to play for so I cannot dwell on the past. Onward and upward for Arsenal till the end of the season.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

With all the above said from you all posting on the thread.
At the end of the day it just got to be Arsenal for life
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Skylo, if they cannot come out with the truth, for fear of lessening their allure, then presumably proceeding with the deception is fair and sound. In discussion with a friend and a fine fellow about the political wranglings at the breast of the motherland, it was suggested Jonathan declare before the public a surefire solution to the Boko Haram palaver, promising their absolute vanquish within 72 hours of election. Needless to say, how can he expect votes were to he to admit the gadflies were bigger than Marshall Mathers' double barrel twelve gauge bigger than Chris Wallace.

Lives and livelihoods. Precious little grass between them.

Good evening and good night.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Where is Ayo nowadays?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"