La Liga - referee travesties, skewed TV deals, 0 competition

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: La Liga - referee travesties, skewed TV deals, 0 competi

Post by wiseone »

The organised banditry that masquerades as refereeing in La Liga is simply mind boggling. Let us not forget that in the past week alone:

1) Barcelona were awarded a phantom penalty against Eibar. That "penalty" for the invisible foul on Alba was utterly scandalous.
There was no Eibar player within a yard of Alba, yet the ref gave the peno because Alba tripped over a blade of grass. When Le Messi missed the peno, the ref awarded Barca another penalty so they could try again (because you know, if at first you don't succeed, try again!).

2) Aspas was sent off for "simulation" against Madrid after he had the temerity to fall down after the foul machine Sergio Ramos hacked him down in the Madrid penalty area:

3) Madrid (Isco) scored a quick FK that he took 0.5 seconds after a FK was awarded and before the ref had blown the whistle, and without the ref allowing him to take a quick FK:

4) Neymar "scored" for Barcelona against Las Palmas even though Suarez was standing in an offside position inside the Palmas 6 yard box, interfering with play right in front of the Palmas GK, AND tried to kick the ball on its way in:

Juventus got relegated and stripped of titles for trying to influence refs. An investigation into links between organised crime and La Liga refereeing is long overdue.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

tfco wrote:2 penalties against Eibar.

1st penalty - Jordi Alba got scythed by the air.....The Swede steps up. PK saved

the difference

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

La Liga have changed the rules in games involving Barca to allow Barca players not on the field of play to pass the ball to their team-mates on the field of play.

The latest episode of the La Liga circus: for Barca's first goal against Malaga, Lucas Digne crossed the ball (which was clearly half a foot outside the field) to Deolefeu. All the Malaga players stopped when the ball went out of play, the ref allowed play to go on, and Deolefeu (of course) scored. None of the officials noticed and allowed the goal to stand. Digne hitting the ball back into the play from outside the field was counted as an "assist". Utter joke.

"Lucas Digne weaved into the left side of the Málaga penalty area, but took the ball over the byline and out of play before crossing into the six-yard box, where Deulofeu flicked the ball in for his first senior goal for the club."
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... tch-report
Last edited by wiseone on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

wiseone wrote:La Liga have changed the rules in games involving Barca to allow Barca players not on the field of play to pass the ball to their team-mates on the field of play.

The latest episode of the La Liga circus: for Barca's first goal against Malaga, Lucas Digne crossed the ball (which was clearly half a foot outside the field) to Deolefeu. All the Malaga players stopped when the ball went out of play, the ref allowed play to go on, and Deolefeu (of course) scored. None of the officials noticed and allowed the goal to stand. Digne hitting the ball back into the play from outside the field was counted as an "assist". Utter joke.

"Lucas Digne weaved into the left side of the Málaga penalty area, but took the ball over the byline and out of play before crossing into the six-yard box, where Deulofeu flicked the ball in for his first senior goal for the club."
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... tch-report
I saw this one over the weekend, i simply switched off my tv and went to bed.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

The EPL official's shenanigans of last season are still so fresh in my memory that, I am yet to see a full game this season.

The 7-2 games don't help either. :twisted:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I thought the introduction of VAR would finally end the criminal conspiracy that masquerades as refereeing in La Liga. Sadly not...

Last week Girona put in a gritty display against Real Madrid and went 1-0 up. Of course this is La Liga. Girona did not read the script, nor did they realise they are not supposed to win against Madrid. So the ref decided to let them know how things work around here. Asensio ran past a Girona defender, fell over after heavy contact from a blade of grass and the ref amazingly gave a penalty to Real even though no Girona defender touched Asensio. The VAR reviewed the footage, saw there was no contact - yet still let the penalty stand! :shock: Of course Ramos scored from the spot to make it 1-1 just before HT.

Then in the 48th minute Benzema scored from an offside position. Again, the VAR saw the slow mo/still footage, saw Benzema in an offside position - yet still allowed the goal to stand! :shock: If you do not believe me, see:

http://www.beinsports.com/us/laliga/vid ... var/963339

It becomes really hard to watch La Liga with this kind of refereeing nonsense. What is the point of VAR if all it does is reinforce the bad refereeing in Barca and Madrid games? It must be so demoralising for other teams.
Last edited by wiseone on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

wiseone wrote:I thought the introduction of VAR would finally end the criminal conspiracy that masquerades as refereeing in La Liga. Sadly not...

Last week Girona put in a gritty display against Real Madrid and went 1-0 up. Of course this is La Liga. Girona did not read the script, nor did they realise they are not suppose to win against Madrid. So the ref decided to let them know how things work around here. Asensio ran past a Girona defender, fell over after heavy contact from a blade of grass and the ref amazingly gave a penalty to Real even though no Girona defender touched Asensio. The VAR reviewed the footage, saw there was no contact - yet still let the penalty stand! :shock: Of course Ramos scored from the spot to make it 1-1 just before HT.

Then in the 48th minute Benzema scored from an offside position. Again, the VAR saw the slow mo/still footage, saw Benzema in an offside position - yet still allowed the goal to stand! :shock: If you do not believe me, see:

It becomes really hard to watch La Liga with this kind of refereeing nonsense. What is the point of VAR if all it does is reinforce the bad refereeing in Barca and Madrid games? It must be so demoralising for other teams.

They should rename this thread to the Real Madrid Haters Club rant thread. :taunt:

There are genuine instances of injustice where big teams are allowed to screw over little teams, but this match was not one of the cases and rants like yours Wiseone are not wise.

I ask fair minded people to look at the calls and make up their own minds using this extended highlights:

[/video]

4:40 Penalty
Video replay clearly shows there was contact on Ascensio's left leg. He does sell it though, but that is his job. There was contact, so it was a penalty, plain and simple.

11:18 Not Offside!
On first view, I agree Benzema looks offside. However VAR clearly shows he might have been ahead of the defense, but he was still behind the ball. Not Off Side.

I am not saying there is no corruption or favoritism in football. I am just saying the examples you gave are not helping your case.

BTW, as I predicted, Bale has started the season on a tear!
What I didnt see coming though is Benzema's start to the season. Leading La Liga scoring charts? Who would have thought life without CR7 could be so liberating...
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

wiseone wrote:I thought the introduction of VAR would finally end the criminal conspiracy that masquerades as refereeing in La Liga. Sadly not...

Last week Girona put in a gritty display against Real Madrid and went 1-0 up. Of course this is La Liga. Girona did not read the script, nor did they realise they are not suppose to win against Madrid. So the ref decided to let them know how things work around here. Asensio ran past a Girona defender, fell over after heavy contact from a blade of grass and the ref amazingly gave a penalty to Real even though no Girona defender touched Asensio. The VAR reviewed the footage, saw there was no contact - yet still let the penalty stand! :shock: Of course Ramos scored from the spot to make it 1-1 just before HT.

I can't believe you actually composed this FACTUALLY INACCURATE piece. I do NOT like real, but this is just bad propaganda. Not sure how one overrules that PK call from VAR. And unless you are unaware of offside rules, a player BEHIND the ball/play CANNOT be offsides! :shock: :shock: :shock: Haba, fear God now!
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

That PK call was a farce. On the Benzema goak, the angles are hard to tell in some shots, but it does look like Benzema (although ahead of the defenders) is behind the ball on his goal
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

metalalloy wrote:That PK call was a farce. On the Benzema goak, the angles are hard to tell in some shots, but it does look like Benzema (although ahead of the defenders) is behind the ball on his goal

did you see anything in the replay to cause it to be overturned? Please provide slow-mo or stills to show there was no contact.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
metalalloy wrote:That PK call was a farce. On the Benzema goak, the angles are hard to tell in some shots, but it does look like Benzema (although ahead of the defenders) is behind the ball on his goal

did you see anything in the replay to cause it to be overturned? Please provide slow-mo or stills to show there was no contact.
No. Asensio dragged his leg into the defender and fell over like he was pole axed. Nah yellow wey him deserve for that ocscar winning performance.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

metalalloy wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

No. Asensio dragged his leg into the defender and fell over like he was pole axed. Nah yellow wey him deserve for that ocscar winning performance.
You are being disingenuous. Whether he dragged his left leg (which he did) or not is not the issue.
The issue is, was there contact?? If the defender hit his leg, it is a penalty.

More to Chiefs point,...is there enough to overturn the decision? The answer is no, especially if you see the contact.

Na Penarity...
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

charlie wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

You are being disingenuous. Whether he dragged his left leg (which he did) or not is not the issue.

More to Chiefs point,...is there enough to overturn the decision? The answer is no, especially if you see the contact.

Na Penarity...

haba are we fighting? :lol: I already responded No to chief's question. There is no cause to overturn the call after VAR review under the current interpretation of the rules. But going back to the points you made in your post, you said this

Whether he dragged his left leg (which he did) or not is not the issue.
and then this:

The issue is, was there contact?? If the defender hit his leg,

The second highlighted above is the point i was making. The defender did not "hit his leg, " Asensio dragged his leg onto the defenders planted foot, initiated contact, and then fell over in an exaggerated manner. These trailing leg "fouls" initiated by strikers should not be rewarded IMO. This is similar to what shooters in the NBA used to do by kicking out a leg against an airborne defender to draw a foul.

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

metalalloy wrote:
charlie wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Na Penarity...

haba are we fighting? :lol: I already responded No to chief's question. There is no cause to overturn the call after VAR review under the current interpretation of the rules. But going back to the points you made in your post, you said this

and then this:

The second highlighted above is the point i was making. The defender did not "hit his leg, " Asensio dragged his leg onto the defenders planted foot, initiated contact, and then fell over in an exaggerated manner. These trailing leg "fouls" initiated by strikers should not be rewarded IMO. This is similar to what shooters in the NBA used to do by kicking out a leg against an airborne defender to draw a foul.
But bia, then in that case, the call is not a farce, but the officials following the rules. Wiseone claims this was ojoro for Real Madrid.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

metalalloy wrote:
charlie wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Na Penarity...

and then this:

Metalloy, Disingenuous is not an insult. It just means you are ignoring facts intentionally. Look it up.

As an example, you make it sound like the defenders leg was already there and Ascensio dragged his foot into contact. This was not what happened.

- They both went for the ball
- The defender's leg crossed Ascensio's path
- the defender missed the ball.
- Ascensio anticipated the contact and left his foot trailing
- There was contact
- Ref called penalty

All this happened in less than a second.

The ref on first view was right to call the penalty. VAR's primary role is to see if there is anything else that was contrary to the refs decision. VAR didnt find any reason to overturn the decision. Hard to fault that decision if you are fair minded.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

charlie wrote:[

Metalloy, Disingenuous is not an insult. It just means you are ignoring facts intentionally. Look it up.

As an example, you make it sound like the defenders leg was already there and Ascensio dragged his foot into contact. This was not what happened.

- They both went for the ball
- The defender's leg crossed Ascensio's path
- the defender missed the ball.
- There was contact
- Ref called penalty

All this happened in less than a second.

The ref on first view was right to call the penalty. VAR's primary role is to see if there is anything else that was contrary to the refs decision. VAR didnt find any reason to overturn the decision. Hard to fault that decision if you are fair minded.

- There was contactt
As an example, you make it sound like the defenders leg was already there and Ascensio dragged his foot into contact.
But the defenders leg was there and planted before Ascensio. Your video shows that. The defender's left foot that Ascensio tripped over was already planted and was Ascensio "smartly" dragged his leg into because that is a surefire way to get a pk call under current rules. You are right that this happened very fast, so you cant fault the ref for missing it and awarding the pk. However, this should be discouraged, here are other examples where it is not as close/fast as the Ascensio event. Look at what what Rashford and Sane did in this videos below to inititate the contact and draw fouls.

Also, Kane here is another good example of the "trailing leg" move. Although he was fouled initially, if you look closely, he "threw his leg out" to initiate additional contact, and to sure he gets the call. This "dangling leg" to initiate contact move is what i am saying should be stamped out of the game as it encourages diving, and gives forwards an unfair advantage.

I'm not sure why you keep discussing VAR when in my first response to Chief Ogbunigwe, and followup, I have repeatedly said that call was rightfully upheld after VAR review as they are applying current rules.

Ps. re disingenuous, perhaps you didn't mean it as insult, but it is one. Look at the definition below and the synonyms.
not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.
synonyms: insincere, dishonest, untruthful, false, deceitful, duplicitous, lying, mendacious; hypocritical
https://www.google.com/search?q=disinge ... fox-b-1-ab
: lacking in candor; also : giving a false appearance of simple frankness
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disingenuous

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
charlie wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Na Penarity...

and then this:

But bia, then in that case, the call is not a farce, but the officials following the rules. Wiseone claims this was ojoro for Real Madrid.
Which is why it is a farce :D Nah wiseone wey bring up Ojoro not me.

charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

metalalloy, I say penarity. You say no. Wont be the first controversy of the sort. wont be the last.
lets just agree to disagree
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

charlie wrote:metalalloy, I say penarity. You say no. Wont be the first controversy of the sort. wont be the last.

no, he also implies penarity, but he doesn't say it outright because he doesn't like the rule. Instead make he just make his point jeje, he is arguing like 1Naija :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
AFCON 2019 sweet o

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
charlie wrote:metalalloy, I say penarity. You say no. Wont be the first controversy of the sort. wont be the last.

no, he also implies penarity, but he doesn't say it outright because he doesn't like the rule. Instead make he just make his point jeje, he is arguing like 1Naija :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

Murds!! you people can not allow this defamation of my character to go unpunished. :curse:

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The really weird thing is that VAR has not stopped the scandalous decisions. Last week Celta were denied a blatant penalty for a handball by a Barca defender. This was the case even though the VAR had the opportunity to replay and watch the handball on video replay. Yet still no penalty.
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

Big teams do get "Favorable calls" sometimes but overall i do not think that's why they are better than others
Remember this?
TFCO, where are you?

Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos