National Anthems

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet
National Anthems

Post by ANC »

Kai, Zimbabwe and Ugandas, 1000 times better than :lol: Nigeria's
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: National Anthems

Post by Senator WIRES »

ANC wrote:Kai, Zimbabwe and Ugandas, 1000 times better than :lol: Nigeria's
emancipate yourself from low-self esteem! Tufiakwa :lol:
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Senator WIRES wrote:

ok
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

ANC wrote:
Senator WIRES wrote:

ok
you are clueless; national anthems are not commercial music. each has unique character ingrained to the nations. you dont compare them
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Nothing in the world touches the South African national anthem, my undisputed favorite.
Then the Nigerian and the German.

All the rest are 'just there'.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Damunk wrote:Nothing in the world touches the South African national anthem, my undisputed favorite.

Russia is up there too and the Old Soviet Union Anthem.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Damunk wrote:Nothing in the world touches the South African national anthem, my undisputed favorite.

If so then you probably like Tanzania, Zambia, & Zimbabwe because all used - God Bless Africa composed in 1897 by South African Poet Enock Sontongs

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

jette1 wrote:

If so then you probably like Tanzania, Zambia, & Zimbabwe because all used - God Bless Africa composed in 1897 by South African Poet Enock Sontongs
Ishe komborera Africa. TV used used to start and close with this anthem when I was a kid

Zim anthem 1980 to 1994 :thumbs:
[/video]
Last edited by Comrade Machel on Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

jette1 wrote:

For real? I knew there was another country that shared the Nkosi sikelel' Afrika tune but didnt know which.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote:
jette1 wrote:

For real? I knew there was another country that shared the Nkosi sikelel' Afrika tune but didnt know which.
Zambia
I am happy
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

:clap:

:agree:
I am happy
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

Damunk wrote:
jette1 wrote:

In Zimbabwe's case we have now abandoned Ishe Kombererai Africa(Nkosi Sikelele Afica). We now have another anthem which is boring as hell. Our current national anthem does not do anything for me.
Last edited by Chimurenga Rebel on Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Chimurenga Rebel wrote:
Damunk wrote:
jette1 wrote:

In Zimbabwe's case we have now abounded Ishe Kombererai Africa(Nkosi Sikelele Afica). We now have another anthem which is boring as hell. Our current national anthem does not do anything for me.
I don't even know the words to the current one :curse:

Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

Samora Machel wrote:
Chimurenga Rebel wrote:
Damunk wrote:
jette1 wrote:

In Zimbabwe's case we have now abounded Ishe Kombererai Africa(Nkosi Sikelele Afica). We now have another anthem which is boring as hell. Our current national anthem does not do anything for me.
We should have stuck with Ishe Komborera Africa. It is a truly inspiring Nation's anthem.
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

There’s no hard and fast rule for me. Some sound great (like South Africa - I love theirs) but others can only be appreciated by watching the players sing it with gusto like Chile and Italy (I can picture Buffon’s face as I type. :lol: )
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

My favorite is Nigeria, I'm not a traitor like you guys.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Some anthems are written with blood. Some songs, of hope. Some, remembrance and some, a call to duty.

To the uninitiated, it's just music but to those it belongs, it's life, passion and much more.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Chimurenga Rebel wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:
Chimurenga Rebel wrote:
Damunk wrote:
jette1 wrote:

We should have stuck with Ishe Komborera Africa. It is a truly inspiring Nation's anthem.
Yeah Ishe komborera Africa made one feel Zimbabwean/southern African

Same as Nkosi Sikelele was created by one man and adopted by other countries, flags of Namibia and South Africa were designed by one person Frederick Bownell. :thumbs: Maybe we should just become one big country

I know Chimurenga will not like that idea :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

The South African anthem is definitely the best for me... It's got that natural African appeal deep from the roots itself, and very emotional as well.
Baii
Egg
Egg

Post by Baii »

Go and check out the Jamaican National anthem
“A fanatic is one who entrenches himself in invincible ignorance.”

― OSWALD CHAMBERS, Baffled to Fight Better
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Biafran is the Best

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote:The South African anthem is definitely the best for me... It's got that natural African appeal deep from the roots itself, and very emotional as well.
I get goosebumps just hearing it and I'm not remotely South/southern African.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

jette1 wrote:Biafran is the Best
I'd like to hear it.
Sincerely.

I've always believed that musically the Igbos are the South Africans of Nigeria.
Their deep, multiple harmonies are a joy to listen to, just like the South Africans'.

I first became aware of this as a chorister in sec school when our choirmaster, Mr Amaechi, introduced us to Igbo hymns and folk songs and the amazing music of Harcourt Whyte whose collection I now have and treasure.

Then later I fell in love with Enugu Rangers and their fans' terrace football songs, again with layered harmonies ("Oli, oli, oli, oli... oli, oli, Enugu Rangers, Another Champion!") and many more. :dream:

Yorubas are more into their polyrhythms and there's less emphasis on harmonies.

If you've got the Biafran anthem, please share. :thumb: