Liverpool FC - News, Developments and All Seasons

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Liverpool - Football Thread

Post by cchinukw »

Something doesn't sound right.

Sold at ust €41m? Gerasimbioo.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

benteke wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:03 am
kbt wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:53 pm Liverpool have agreed to sell Sadio Mane to Bayern Munich for a deal worth up to £35m.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... ern-munich

Thanks for all the memories and great goals, Sadio. Wishing you all the best (except if we play Bayern in the Champions League) :D
There is a feeling and murmur out there that Sadio Mané was not given the respect he deserves at Liverpool, and that is what triggered his desire to explore new challenges elsewhere.

Sadio was still on around 100k and for one of the senior and most important players at Liverpool he must have felt shortchanged, and now that he just wanted to negotiate for a new higher paying contract he has been let go.

Balance us on these Liverpool fans

I wish they sold him to Chelsea.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

They didn't pay Mane well, Klopp belittled tge Afcon.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Benedict Iroha wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:22 am They didn't pay Mane well, Klopp belittled tge Afcon.
The chickens came home to roost!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Mane was on 100k a week .. that is a pittance for someone critical to them.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cristao II wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:08 pm Mane was on 100k a week .. that is a pittance for someone critical to them.
Wow. That’s less than Keita was earning.
How come?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Cristao II wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:08 pm Mane was on 100k a week .. that is a pittance for someone critical to them.
I was just discussing this elsewhere. We all know what it is in another form: Race driven salary inequity.

Sadio was no 10 highest salary earner at Liverpool. Other than maybe Salah who deserved to be paid better than him? I can see why the guy quietly left
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Mané's agent has already said the reports Mané was earning £100,000 a week are well off the mark.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

YUJAM wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:59 pm
I was just discussing this elsewhere. We all know what it is in another form: Race driven salary inequity.

Sadio was no 10 highest salary earner at Liverpool. Other than maybe Salah who deserved to be paid better than him? I can see why the guy quietly left
a) He wasn't the 10th highest. b) VVD.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:00 pm
YUJAM wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:59 pm

a) He wasn't the 10th highest. b) VVD.
Oga two-ble, i see you are defending your massa with all your might again? Shameless man :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Mohamed Salah signs new long-term contract at Liverpool to end speculation over his Anfield future
Mohamed Salah's previous contract was due to expire at the end of next season; FWA Footballer of the Year and the PFA Players' Player of the Year for 2021/22, Salah has scored 156 goals in 254 appearances so far in his Anfield career

Friday 1 July 2022 16:07, UK

Mohamed Salah has been named FWA men's footballer of the year
Mohamed Salah has ended speculation about his Liverpool future by signing a long-term contract extension.

The length of the new deal has not been announced. Salah's previous contract was due to expire next summer.

"I feel great and excited to win trophies with the club. It's a happy day for everyone," he said.

"It takes a little bit of time, I think, to renew, but now everything is done so we just need to focus on what's next.

"I think you can see in the last five or six years the team was always going [upwards]. Last season we were close to winning four, but unfortunately in the last week of the season we lost two trophies.

"I think we are in a good position to fight for everything. We have new signings as well. We just need to keep working hard, have a good vision, be positive and go for everything again."

More to follow....

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... eld-future
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Everything is done to keep the light-skinned and the black skinned? we all know how he was treated.

Disgusting club!
FaithHudson
Egg
Egg

Post by FaithHudson »

he deserves a higher salary but if he does, the club's salary fund will be disrupted. Look at how much Barca had to suffer because the salary structure was broken
https://techupnew.com/fifa-chino
chopachop
Egg
Egg

Post by chopachop »

FaithHudson wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:02 am he deserves a higher salary but if he does, the club's salary fund will be disrupted. Look at how much Barca had to suffer because the salary structure was broken
Strange that he signs immediately Mane leaves looks like Mane was the stumbling block for the protracted
contract negotiation. He has been awarded 350K per week, I guess if he had been granted that amount prior
to Mane leaving Mane would have demanded something closer to what Mo gets. They are raving about Nunez guy
and make it look like there is losing Mane. I wish Bayern meets Liverpool and Mane does a Samuel Etoo on Klopp.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

I like the confidence...

Fabio Carvalho: ‘I joined Liverpool to become the best player in the world’
July 3, 2022
Jack Lusby

Fabio Carvalho has outlined his lofty ambitions after swapping Fulham for Liverpool this summer, with the 19-year-old aiming to become the world’s best.

There is no shortage of confidence in the Reds’ new No. 28, who has arrived in a deal worth up to £7.7 million, joining Jurgen Klopp‘s first team.

The teenager, who moved to England from Portugal as an 11-year-old, spoke brilliantly throughout his first interview with LFCTV, with one clear statement shining through.

While he joins as a young prospect, Carvalho is looking to become the best player in the world at Liverpool.

“I feel like to be the best player in the world, you have to play with the best,” he said.

“That’s what I’m here to do.”

One of the key influences in aiding the attacking midfielder in his pursuit of greatness is Klopp himself, who Carvalho attests was central to his decision to sign for the club.

“One of the main reasons that I joined is because of him,” he continued.

“I’ve seen what he’s done to develop players to the next step and I’m sure he’s the right person to do so with me.”

It is unclear whether Carvalho will take up a regular starting role immediately, with it rare that new signings adapt so quickly to the demands of Klopp’s system.

But the Portuguese is looking to soak everything in from the world-class team-mates he will be joining from the first day of pre-season on Monday.

“There are some big names and I’m looking to make a big name for myself as well,” Carvalho added.

“There are big players and I’m just looking forward to learning from every single one of them, from their different experiences.

“I think they will be able to help me and hopefully I’ll be able to help them.”

One of those to return later in the week is Mohamed Salah, fresh from signing a new three-year contract to become the club’s highest-ever earner, having earned the status as one of the all-time greats.

“I’m happy he’s signed a new deal as well, because he’s one of the best in the world and I want to learn from him,” the youngster said.

“I’m sure all the fans are happy and hopefully we can win many trophies this year.”

To wrap things up, Carvalho set out his targets for the future: “To win as many trophies as I can at Liverpool and be the best in the world.”

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/07/f ... the-world/

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

I'm going to miss Sadio the Mane.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Who had a more successful season?

1. A Klopp in his prime, gengen-pressing the whole of Europe? OR
2. a totally finished Mourinho in the backyard of Italy on borrowed time?

:D
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Guys, just in case you missed your game today.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Jurgen Klopp on Liverpool’s Darwin Nunez: ‘He was our first choice and we were his’

By James Pearce
Jul 13, 2022

Jurgen Klopp spent part of his summer break analysing where Liverpool could raise the bar.

After a season when they set ridiculously high standards in losing just four out of 63 matches in all competitions that won’t be an easy task. Yet with the changes in personnel this summer, Klopp sees an opportunity for his team to evolve and carry a greater element of surprise.

“I say we can improve performance-wise,” he says. “We can mix it up better, we can be different in moments, we can be more convincing in moments, we can be calmer in moments, more lively in moments — all these kind of things.

“When we go through the games, of course you can say we lost against West Ham and Leicester (their only two league defeats in 2021-22) and we should have won at Tottenham, but that is not what we are talking about.

“It is about the way we play. We have to do the right stuff again and again and again and that’s what I am really looking forward to. We have to use this short period now.”

Key to the next stage in the evolution of Klopp’s Liverpool is Darwin Nunez. The Uruguay international, who was signed from Benfica for a fee that could rise to a club-record £85 million, will be the focal point of a new-look front line following Sadio Mane’s move to Bayern Munich.

Nunez will certainly offer a different type of threat with his pace and power. He’s a proper No 9 rather than a false one. Having admired him from afar, Klopp’s appreciation of his talent grew with the problems the 23-year-old caused Liverpool during both legs of April’s Champions League quarter-final tie.

“He was already on the list. We knew he was interesting, but we didn’t really think about signing him then; we were not in talks,” says Klopp.

“We have this ‘Portuguese department’ in the coaching staff (Pep Lijnders and Vitor Matos previously worked for Porto). They watch each game even if they struggle a bit to watch Benfica because both are on the blue side, Porto!

“It was clear that he is really good, but you don’t just go for a player like this just to add on. We needed to have a look. It was not that we had a lack of numbers up front or a lack of quality. But there was a moment when it was clear that now we have to intensify our efforts and that’s what we did.”

Lijnders acted as the interpreter to help get Klopp’s message across when the manager met Nunez for the first time. “His determination to join us was obvious — that was really cool to see,” he adds.

“I don’t like situations where — and it was a while ago that it happened — you sit with a player and you see in his eyes he is listening, but he listens an hour ago to the manager of another club and in one hour he will talk to another one. It can happen.

“But Darwin was our first choice and I prefer us being his first choice as well — and that was exactly what was clear. I really like that. Now we will start creating a connection and a relationship.”

Nunez, who scored 34 goals in all competitions for Benfica last season, only started training with his new team-mates in Bangkok on Sunday but he’s already made a big impression.

“His movement, his physicality, his work rate, his speed — he has everything a Liverpool player needs,” Harvey Elliott tells The Athletic.

“We’re all excited to see what he can bring. He’s only going to make us better and bump us on. We’re like a family here and we’ll look after him. There’s the Spanish and the Portuguese-speaking contingent, so that helps language-wise. No one ever feels left out here. There’s a good vibe in the squad that helps new lads settle.”

It was telling that when Nunez left Monday’s session due to blisters and perched himself on a cool box, Thiago went across to put a consoling arm around him and check he was OK.

Yes, there was a glaring miss after he came on for his debut against Manchester United, but more interesting was his intelligent runs in behind and the manner in which full-backs Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andy Robertson picked him out. That understanding will continue to grow over the course of pre-season.

Luis Diaz made a mockery of suggestions that he might need time to adjust following his £50 million move from Porto at the end of the January window as he lit the place up instantly.

The Colombian attacker was helped by the fact he didn’t need to really change the way he plays after arriving from Portugal and Klopp is confident it will be a similar story with Nunez.

“Luis just stepped in, no pre-season, played and it was, ‘Oh, all good, all ready’. The reason was that the way he played at Porto was the way we wanted him to play here, so it was not that we gave him a script and said, ‘Have a look at that’,” says Klopp.

“We just let him play and then just adjusted here and there a little bit. That is pretty much how it is with Darwin. We don’t want to change Darwin in a week or two or three.

“Do I want that Darwin plays like Bobby Firmino in the same position? No, not at all. It makes no sense. We are talking about a false nine and a nine. That is the difference.

“We have to adapt a bit around and if it will be in the first Premier League game or the second or the third or the fourth, I couldn’t care less. There is always a public discussion if we would have to do it. I hope we don’t have to, because that would mean we have a lot of injuries. We can just work on it and we will see in training how quickly things go.”

For so long, Liverpool’s front line was easy to predict with Salah, Mane and Firmino leading the charge. That’s certainly no longer the case. Diogo Jota broke up that established trio when he effectively ended Firmino’s status as a guaranteed starter following his arrival from Wolves. Diaz then provided another dimension in the second half of last season.

After a summer when Divock Origi and Takumi Minamino joined Mane in pursuing a new challenge elsewhere, Klopp believes he has an array of possible forward combinations that will keep opponents guessing. He loves having a degree of unpredictability.

He could stick with his trusted 4-3-3 with Diaz and Salah operating either side of Nunez. The new striker’s presence also opens up the possibility of finding room for Firmino or Jota in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Then there’s the gifted teenage duo of Fabio Carvalho and Harvey Elliott, who can be utilised either in midfield or wide in a front three.

“That’s what I like about it. It will be really interesting,” says Klopp.

“We had two, three or four years where it was always clear before the pre-season we start up front with Sadio, Bobby and Mo. Now the door is open for pretty much everybody. That’s really cool and that is what we have to use.

“That will make us completely difficult to analyse before the game. It would be a massive difference him or him playing the position in the game, that is now really different.

“Darwin is a No 9 who can play on the wing. If you compare with Sadio, he was a winger who could play in the No 9. We have Luis, we have Fabio who can play on the left as well, we have Diogo, he’s definitely back and all these kinds of things. Mo is still here, been here a long time and is good as well and we have Harvey, so we have so many different options up front that I am sure I have forgotten some already.

Klopp says Nunez further diversifies his options, which will make Liverpool more difficult to predict (Photo: Pakawich Damrongkiattisak/Getty Images)
“We haven’t just lost Sadio, we also lost Divock and Taki and I think we can all agree that without these two boys we wouldn’t have won a cup competition last year, so we are very thankful for that, but it makes sense as well after a while to change.

“As much as we miss Sadio, as much as we miss Divock and Taki, we need to refresh the efforts and the way we play. That always depends on the qualities of the players and they all have different qualities, so what do we do? I have an idea, but I don’t want to say now that we do it like this as I am really open to what the boys offer and from there we go.

“We have a settled formation if you want and everyone knows how it is like this, but now we have some real options to change the dynamics on the pitch and I think that makes sense for us.”

Shrewd recruitment has been at the heart of Liverpool’s success during Klopp’s reign. Time and time again, their judgement in the transfer market has been proved right. It’s a huge investment in Nunez but the manager is convinced he will flourish just like Jota and Diaz before him.

“We are really positive about that, but we still have to prove it,” he adds.

“We know exactly what we need and we know exactly what we want. We don’t shoot for a player out there and go for him just because other teams want him. We have our clear ideas.

“In the last few years, you have to say more often than not we got the player we wanted — and that’s the truth. They were not always first picks (for everyone else) and sometimes people said, ‘Why him?’.

“But I think with Darwin it was kind of clear and everyone agrees he is a pretty good striker. We don’t go for the fancy stuff. We want to go for the right stuff for us and that worked out. Partly because of the quality, partly the character.

“The character has to fit our way of playing. And in that moment when you buy into the way we play, you immediately get the benefit of how we play. For offensive players, it’s pretty cool if you win the ball back up high and you don’t have to run back 80 yards and try to catch the ball and then run 80 yards the other direction. These things all help and that is why it works. I hope it will work again.”

https://theathletic.com/3420037/2022/07 ... liverpool/

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

So pool has pulled a money miss road on Nunez..hmmm according to reports, should pool be concerned about what they've seen in 2 preseason games..hmmmmmm
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
chopachop
Egg
Egg

Post by chopachop »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:46 am So pool has pulled a money miss road on Nunez..hmmm according to reports, should pool be concerned about what they've seen in 2 preseason games..hmmmmmm
Too early for a verdict.
It is just preseason. Looks like most of theJournalist are pool centric.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

chopachop wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:22 pm
FaithHudson wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:02 am he deserves a higher salary but if he does, the club's salary fund will be disrupted. Look at how much Barca had to suffer because the salary structure was broken
Strange that he signs immediately Mane leaves looks like Mane was the stumbling block for the protracted
contract negotiation. He has been awarded 350K per week, I guess if he had been granted that amount prior
to Mane leaving Mane would have demanded something closer to what Mo gets. They are raving about Nunez guy
and make it look like there is losing Mane. I wish Bayern meets Liverpool and Mane does a Samuel Etoo on Klopp.
I want to know what agent negotiated Bale’s contract. He was making close to 700k. Even Ramsey was making like 400k at Juventus 😳
Griezman too was on a ridiculous high wage. Are all 3 players that better than Salah & Mane?
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

packerland wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:59 pm
chopachop wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:22 pm
I want to know what agent negotiated Bale’s contract. He was making close to 700k. Even Ramsey was making like 400k at Juventus 😳
Griezman too was on a ridiculous high wage. Are all 3 players that better than Salah & Mane?
Of course I have no inside information. But I assume Salah/Mane are not as marketable as Bale and Griezman. How much do their image rights bring in?

As for Ramsey, he went to Juve on a free. The 400k number that has been bandied around for years includes a sign-on fee, I believe. Players who are on a free receive a huge lump-sum from the signing club, since the club is not paying a transfer fee.