Liverpool FC - News, Developments and All Seasons

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Liverpool - Football Thread

Post by txj »

I have never understood folks who say VAR is bad for football. The technology is spot on!

The problem is with its application, esp in England where it is being used to protect poor referees.

BTW, he's called Ibou- from his Bundesliga days...

wiseone wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:38 am I hear you. VAR is not perfect.

However, even with its imperfections, it is still better than the pre-VAR era when post match talk was dominated by apoplectic fans and managers who raged at refereeing errors.

You brought up a great point re the Ben Mee handball that deflected onto "Ibou" (does anyone call him that?!) for the OG.

A few weeks ago an Everton player smashed the ball against Marcus Rashford's arm about 45 yards away from goal. Rashford then collected the rebound, ran through on goal, went round the Everton GK Pickford and scored. However, VAR disallowed the goal because the ball hit Rashford's arm before ht made the run that led to him scoring.

Why was Rashford's goal disallowed 🚫 even though the ball hitting his arm did not contribute to his goal, while Mee's handball (which directly caused Brentford's goal) was allowed to stand?
txj wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:45 pm
The issue is not VAR, but how it is used.

The first goal came off the arm of Ben Mee. If the next touch to score on goal was from Brentford, its ruled out.
But the next touch came from Ibou, so the handball is ignored, never mind that he knew nothing about it. And VAR cannot intervene. But the ref is there!!!

It also protected Atwell on the Mbeumo goal. The ref was 20-25 meters away from the ball, and again VAR cannot intervene on the grounds of the 'clear and obvious' rule....
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

TXJ and YeyeMan,
From an outsiders POV, I think the biggest issue for the team is their lack of legs in midfield. It’s football 101 to know that you can’t play a suicidal high line, combined with full backs high up the field without high pressure all over the field, particularly in the middle third.

The lack of closing pace is allowing accurate passes into space and isolating center backs one vs one. A difficult task for any team to survive on especially in a league like the EPL. I had a personal academy story when I had my first team fight at half time.

I had to move from midfield into the center back position after major injuries. I had a Colombian left FB who thought he was a winger. I kept being pulled out to cover for him cuz there was a gaping hole and I finally lost my head at halftime in the locker room. He didn’t know I could speak Spanish so he said something disrespectful and needless to say all hell broke loose. I didn’t get benched cuz the coach needed me but it was not good. But the assistant pulled me aside and had to explain that it was their fault for not going over the team defensive shape and philosophy with me earlier but he was actually doing as he was told. My partner was from Argentina and later I noticed he never complained but he was a fixture in that position so it made sense. The point i was making was that I absolutely hated it as a fill in as a center back. It sucked so bad but some teams train and are used to playing that way (ditto liverpool). Now when they had Hendo and Gigi in their prime they could squeeze those spaces, and Fabinho could mop up but now things are changing cuz teams have sussed them out
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Sleaky72 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:37 pm TXJ and YeyeMan,
From an outsiders POV, I think the biggest issue for the team is their lack of legs in midfield. It’s football 101 to know that you can’t play a suicidal high line, combined with full backs high up the field without high pressure all over the field, particularly in the middle third.

The lack of closing pace is allowing accurate passes into space and isolating center backs one vs one. A difficult task for any team to survive on especially in a league like the EPL. I had a personal academy story when I had my first team fight at half time.

I had to move from midfield into the center back position after major injuries. I had a Colombian left FB who thought he was a winger. I kept being pulled out to cover for him cuz there was a gaping hole and I finally lost my head at halftime in the locker room. He didn’t know I could speak Spanish so he said something disrespectful and needless to say all hell broke loose. I didn’t get benched cuz the coach needed me but it was not good. But the assistant pulled me aside and had to explain that it was their fault for not going over the team defensive shape and philosophy with me earlier but he was actually doing as he was told. My partner was from Argentina and later I noticed he never complained but he was a fixture in that position so it made sense. The point i was making was that I absolutely hated it as a fill in as a center back. It sucked so bad but some teams train and are used to playing that way (ditto liverpool). Now when they had Hendo and Gigi in their prime they could squeeze those spaces, and Fabinho could mop up but now things are changing cuz teams have sussed them out

Football punditry these days is too often about narratives.

Its true that they need to refresh the MF, but its more than that.

If you understand the Liverpool game in the last few years, its a pressing system based on connected parts. And the key was always the front trio.

The old front trio is no more and the new one is yet to become functional. From being new to being injured.

That's the first thing.

In the MF itself, the analytics show clearly that the work rate and coverage level is down.

But in a connected system its hard to look at any one part in isolation.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

There is a Wijnaldum sized hole in Liverpool’s midfield…
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

yeyeman, wetin you go talk about this ?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64162597

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Sleaky72 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:37 pm TXJ and YeyeMan,

That's definitely part of it. A high line without an effective press is asking for trouble.

Salah, Mané, Firmino were all pressing monsters. Sadio wanted a new challenge, Firmino's legs are catching/have caught up with him; only Salah remains. The others Diaz and Jota are solid but injured. And we all know about the problems in midfield. The team looks unsure of itself.
Last edited by The YeyeMan on Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Yeye dey smell :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:08 pm yeyeman, wetin you go talk about this ?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64162597

"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

yeyeman, Virgil van Dijk injury update: Liverpool defender out 'for more than a month' with hamstring issue

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64187635
SuperEagles

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Liverpool are, in father of the bride talk, “finished”.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Yeyerity :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Bigpokey24 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:10 pm yeyeman, Virgil van Dijk injury update: Liverpool defender out 'for more than a month' with hamstring issue

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64187635
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Coach wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:17 pm Liverpool are, in father of the bride talk, “finished”.
Why, because of VVD's injury? Both Matip and Konaté are more than capable.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

yeyeman , have you see this?
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

goallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll 2-2 Wolves
SuperEagles

Alategun
Egg
Egg

Post by Alategun »

We need capable midfielders really bad. I am done with how slow our midfielders are
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

How was Wolves' 3rd goal offside?
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

YemiBrazil wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:19 pm How was Wolves' 3rd goal offside?
Possibly the earlier phase of play - when the first cross came in.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Alategun
Egg
Egg

Post by Alategun »

The guy that took the corner came back from offside
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Very capable, like your womb. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Yeye dey smell! :lol:
The YeyeMan wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:29 pm
Coach wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:17 pm Liverpool are, in father of the bride talk, “finished”.
Why, because of VVD's injury? Both Matip and Konaté are more than capable.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Alategun wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:06 am The guy that took the corner came back from offside
I saw someone else say that. The video replay didn't show it though.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

hey yeyeman, what's you rebuttal?

SuperEagles

balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

This looks really bad.

If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:44 am
Alategun wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:06 am The guy that took the corner came back from offside
I saw someone else say that. The video replay didn't show it though.
Your ultrasound didnt show anything, as well. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Yeye dey smell :lol:
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

balo wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:54 pm This looks really bad.

In slow motion, yes. Looked like Robertson couldn't get his legs out of the way in real-time.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024