Liverpool FC - News, Developments and All Seasons

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Liverpool - Football Thread

Post by green4life »

The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:42 pm
danfo driver wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:18 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:13 pm
green4life wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:02 pm Great result. I can’t complain notwithstanding that Pool should’ve been down to 10 men long before Sallah’s goal.
For who, Chelsea?

You've just watched the two best teams in the league.
To be fair to G4L, the team that wins the league doesnt have to be the best. The more points dropped (as City did to the likes of Southampton) the better for the competitors.
True to an extent - though City and Liverpool dropping points against each other probably doesn't help Chelsea all that much as they've failed to beat both teams.
Failing to beat City and Pool is not as big a concern for Chelsea as their ability to consistently win games against the non-top 4 teams. If Chelsea is consistently winning against the so called 'smaller' teams, they will be in the title race if not, they will be fighting for top 4. Otherwise, I suspect that on the balance, they will approximately split points with the top 4.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

green4life wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:14 pm
green4life wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:02 pm Great result. I can’t complain notwithstanding that Pool should’ve been down to 10 men long before Sallah’s goal.
For who, Chelsea?

Maybe by ending of May, or maybe not. But as of today, the table disagrees with you. So stop behaving like a bitter market woman.
Spoken like a bitter market woman. :lol:

As of today, those two teams you just watched are the best in the league. We'll see how things pan out in May.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:31 pm
For who, Chelsea?

Maybe by ending of May, or maybe not. But as of today, the table disagrees with you. So stop behaving like a bitter market woman.
Spoken like a bitter market woman. :lol:

As of today, those two teams you just watched are the best in the league. We'll see how things pan out in May.
As of today, the table disagrees with you. Stop being bitter :lol:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

For who, Chelsea?

What he's trying to say is that at this time, being on top of the table is not as significant as it would be in march/april.

At this point, performance is crucial...and based on that City is the team to beat...

But Chelsea is top and if this is your thing, then rock on :biggrin:
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

txj wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:39 pm
For who, Chelsea?

What he's trying to say is that at this time, being on top of the table is not as significant as it would be in march/april.

At this point, performance is crucial...and based on that City is the team to beat...

Lol. Yeyeman knows I'm pulling his legs. City & Pool are the teams to beat based on performances over the last 4 or 5 seasons. Obviously. Nothing was ever won after 7 games. But I like to pull yeyeman's legs from time to time just as he loves to flog me anytime Chelsea has a bad result. :mrgreen:
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

green4life wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:45 pm
txj wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:39 pm
For who, Chelsea?

Lol. Yeyeman knows I'm pulling his legs. City & Pool are the teams to beat based on performances over the last 4 or 5 seasons. Obviously. Nothing was ever won after 7 games. But I like to pull yeyeman's legs from time to time just as he loves to flog me anytime Chelsea has a bad result. :mrgreen:
:D
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Funny how all the EPL pundits and their grandma keep talking about how City do not have a top striker as a weakness, yet they keep creating chances and scoring!

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Liverpool's defense is horrible. They were carved easily today. Couldn't defeat the two top teams they faced while playing at home..dropped points vs Brentford etc...I can't wait for Afcon to see how they struggle without Mo and Mane. Best team ko best team ni
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:06 am Liverpool's defense is horrible. They were carved easily today. Couldn't defeat the two top teams they faced while playing at home..dropped points vs Brentford etc...I can't wait for Afcon to see how they struggle without Mo and Mane. Best team ko best team ni
Easy to have a tight defence when you play a home game with 10 men behind the ball like Tommy Tuchel.

Football heritage. :lol:
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

txj wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:51 pm Funny how all the EPL pundits and their grandma keep talking about how City do not have a top striker as a weakness, yet they keep creating chances and scoring!
Anyone who has cared to monitor Pep's preferences should know that he prefers to play without what the pundits call a 'point of reference' aka traditional CF. Half the time they make up their stories to fit their narrative. Pep's bigger challenge is keeping KDB fit throughout the season as opposed to not having a striker.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

txj wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:15 pm

The profile of players may be different but the intensity of Ligue 1 is high, and the physical level is one of the highest in Europe. Its a league with very high quality league talent.

What is lacks is the marketing ability of the EPL.

Just a few seasons ago City couldn't get past the first round of the CL; then couldn't get past the 2nd group stage. Was the EPL low intensity then?

The CL is about moments and know how/quality to navigate such.

PSG have been in s/finals and final in recent years. No different give or take from City's recent experience...
I also agree with this.
I have some friends who always say Ligue 1 is "the Farmers league", and i always try to bring forward the points you mentioned above to them, and they won't have none of it.
Especially the point on the amount of talent in ligue 1.
Its still always a shock to many when PSG loses league games, they say that's a 1 team league and PSG should be walking it every season.
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

txj wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:07 pm
Sleaky72 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:55 pm How did James Milner not get a second yellow for a blatant trip on a player ready to attack the Liverpool half.
Looks like Good Ol Englisha bias

Happens all the time. Nothing to do with English bias

To United and Liverpool? Yes I agree.
Milner also got away with another clear one in the first half when
He fouled Fouled from behind as he was going in on goal …

In essence he committed three yellow card fouls and got booked once
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Sleaky72 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:59 pm
Sleaky72 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:55 pm How did James Milner not get a second yellow for a blatant trip on a player ready to attack the Liverpool half.

It happened to Jack Cork recently. He plays for Burnley; Oreo cookie Romeu, he plays for Southampton; even Jorginho...

Yes, it was a 2nd YC by the books, but its not unusual for refs to give a player one last chance b/4 the hammer...

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

The YeyeMan wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:21 am
Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:06 am Liverpool's defense is horrible. They were carved easily today. Couldn't defeat the two top teams they faced while playing at home..dropped points vs Brentford etc...I can't wait for Afcon to see how they struggle without Mo and Mane. Best team ko best team ni
Easy to have a tight defence when you play a home game with 10 men behind the ball like Tommy Tuchel.

Pool has failed to beat City of Chelsea. Let that sink in
SuperEagles

Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

txj wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:06 pm
Sleaky72 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:59 pm

It happened to Jack Cork recently. He plays for Burnley; Oreo cookie Romeu, he plays for Southampton; even Jorginho...

Yes, it was a 2nd YC by the books, but its not unusual for refs to give a player one last chance b/4 the hammer...
I don’t remember those incidents but Milner got away with two yellow card offenses in a high profile game that were so blatant even a blind man could spot ‘em.
Not picking on your club just pointing out a clear and obvious error … like I said he also got away with a blatant foul from behind on Phil Foden that went unpunished. So that was a third bookable offense but he got carded for just one.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

txj wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:45 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:41 pm
txj wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:31 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:26 pm A fair result based on that second half. These are the two the best teams in the league.

The defensive organization is still not up to speed.

You can see a lack of balance on the right side of MF and defence;

Wijnaldum is missed on that side, esp with Elliot out and Thiago injured...
With Hendo running around like a headless chicken it's no surprise...

Seems to me an attempt to reprise the role of Elliot earlier, but its creating problems
In profile: Jordan Henderson and his midfield role
https://www.patreon.com/posts/56991133
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:53 pm

Pool has failed to beat City of Chelsea. Let that sink in
And remain the only team undefeated. Let it sink in biko. :D
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The YeyeMan wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:13 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:26 pm A fair result based on that second half. These are the two the best teams in the league.

Seems to me an attempt to reprise the role of Elliot earlier, but its creating problems

Quite a shame about Elliot and the injury cus we were just starting to see the evolution of Liverpool's MF, post Wijnaldum

And in a way, its the reason I've lost the respect I had for Pep as he's since leaving Munich increasingly become a fantasy manager, solving football problems by the check book and not by innovation...

I watch Tuchel and I'm looking esp at how he's tweaking Kai Haeertz's position relative to Lukaku...

I think though, Klopp is going to change Hendo's role again. Either that or Thiago's return will shift things again in MF

Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

txj wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:06 am

Quite a shame about Elliot and the injury cus we were just starting to see the evolution of Liverpool's MF, post Wijnaldum

And in a way, its the reason I've lost the respect I had for Pep as he's since leaving Munich increasingly become a fantasy manager, solving football problems by the check book and not by innovation...

I watch Tuchel and I'm looking esp at how he's tweaking Kai Haeertz's position relative to Lukaku...

I think though, Klopp is going to change Hendo's role again. Either that or Thiago's return will shift things again in MF
So you don’t consider winning the EPL without a recognized striker for much of the season being innovative?
I’m curious how many others in the EPL have won or even adopted this approach. But hey what do I know
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Sleaky72 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:09 am
txj wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:06 am

So you don’t consider winning the EPL without a recognized striker for much of the season being innovative?
I’m curious how many others in the EPL have won or even adopted this approach. But hey what do I know

What do you think Bobby Firmino is at Liverpool?
Besides, the false striker was used by him in 2013 at Barca. Its not new....

When you spend 250m in search of fullbacks, that's not innovation...

When you are looking to spend 150m to sign Harry Kane rather than develop Ferran Torres whom you spent 25m on, that's not innovation...

Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

So Bobby Firmino is not a line leading front line striker?
What has he been throughout his career?
Just because he plays different roles to accommodate
Salah and Mane doesn’t mean he isn’t a striker … be serious Chief.
I’m beginning to wonder if you actually understand what the False Nine position means …

Who did he use as his false 9 in 2013? He left IN 2012?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Again you miss the point.
I pointed out that if you say he is not an innovator, what dya call winning the EPL without a recognized striker after struggling at the beginning of the season.

I’m responding to you because you questioned whether he has been an innovator … bottom line is that he struggled at the beginning of last season, which led to many questions of his competence … ( there were even those questioning his ability to function without Arteta :rotf: :rotf: )

He changed and innovated and embraced playing without a striker and set records for consecutive wins and the rest is history. Sorry my friend but you are in error here IMHO.

When you are looking to spend 150m to sign Harry Kane rather than develop Ferran Torres whom you spent 25m on, that's not innovation...
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

and all pool could do was score from a PK. shebi Mane , and Salah will be off to AFCON, let us see how una go get exposed
SuperEagles

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Not in the Liverpool system. he is not...

I got the date he left Barca wrong, but the point remains the false 9 dates back to his barcelona days. It may be new to EPL fans like you, but its not an innovation in 2021.

Also, I never said he is not an innovator.

I said he's become a 'fantasy manager' since leaving Munich.

Sleaky72 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:41 pm So Bobby Firmino is not a line leading front line striker?
What has he been throughout his career?
Just because he plays different roles to accommodate
Salah and Mane doesn’t mean he isn’t a striker … be serious Chief.
I’m beginning to wonder if you actually understand what the False Nine position means …

Who did he use as his false 9 in 2013? He left IN 2012?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Again you miss the point.
I pointed out that if you say he is not an innovator, what dya call winning the EPL without a recognized striker after struggling at the beginning of the season.

I’m responding to you because you questioned whether he has been an innovator … bottom line is that he struggled at the beginning of last season, which led to many questions of his competence … ( there were even those questioning his ability to function without Arteta :rotf: :rotf: )

He changed and innovated and embraced playing without a striker and set records for consecutive wins and the rest is history. Sorry my friend but you are in error here IMHO.