Liverpool FC - News, Developments and All Seasons

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Liverpool - Football Thread

Post by The YeyeMan »

A fair result based on that second half. These are the two the best teams in the league.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Molue Conductor wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:06 pm Pool should have been down to 10

Agreed.

But so could've City----Cancelo
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

You watch games like this one, and you see why these English teams are very strong. When you compete like this week-in-week out, you are always on your toes and always ready. Teams like PSG struggle in the CL, partly because they dont compete every week. Many weeks, they are on auto-pilot strolling to wins. So when they show up in mid-week, they are not as fit, nor prepared, like their English competition.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:26 pm A fair result based on that second half. These are the two the best teams in the league.

The defensive organization is still not up to speed.

You can see a lack of balance on the right side of MF and defence;

Wijnaldum is missed on that side, esp with Elliot out and Thiago injured...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:29 pm You watch games like this one, and you see why these English teams are very strong. When you compete like this week-in-week out, you are always on your toes and always ready. Teams like PSG struggle in the CL, partly because they dont compete every week. Many weeks, they are on auto-pilot strolling to wins. So when they show up in mid-week, they are not as fit, nor prepared, like their English competition.

I don't buy this EPL narrative.

Same was said about Bayern, until they won the treble

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

txj wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:31 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:26 pm A fair result based on that second half. These are the two the best teams in the league.

With Hendo running around like a headless chicken it's no surprise...
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:41 pm
txj wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:31 pm

With Hendo running around like a headless chicken it's no surprise...

Seems to me an attempt to reprise the role of Elliot earlier, but its creating problems

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

txj wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:36 pm
danfo driver wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:29 pm You watch games like this one, and you see why these English teams are very strong. When you compete like this week-in-week out, you are always on your toes and always ready. Teams like PSG struggle in the CL, partly because they dont compete every week. Many weeks, they are on auto-pilot strolling to wins. So when they show up in mid-week, they are not as fit, nor prepared, like their English competition.

I am not sure you can disagree with me, because I havent made any argument worth disagreeing with. :lol: let me spell it out again:

The game we just watched has so much intensity, aggression, talent on display and competition. The players are some of the best. So when you are competing on a regular basis with some of the best, you are more likely to improve and be in top shape. This is actually a fact and there is research on this-- across board, not just in football.

It doesnt mean that no other team can win--as we can see others have. It was like when Real and Barca were at each other's throat and both could absolutely not even drop one point. If they did, the other will probably win that weekend and open up a lead. The competition was so steep that even when either played a sh1t team, they have to be at the top of their game. During that period, I believe both Barca and Madrid made the CL semi-finals and i think Barca won it twice. Competition takes you to another level!

As for Bundesliga, I watch Bundesliga. Its actually a league with strong competition! Bayern dominates because Bayern is better than them, of course, but the teams in the Bundesliga are very competitive.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Great result. I can’t complain notwithstanding that Pool should’ve been down to 10 men long before Sallah’s goal.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

green4life wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:02 pm Great result. I can’t complain notwithstanding that Pool should’ve been down to 10 men long before Sallah’s goal.
For who, Chelsea?

You've just watched the two best teams in the league.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:52 pm
txj wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:36 pm

I am not sure you can disagree with me, because I havent made any argument worth disagreeing with. :lol: let me spell it out again:

The game we just watched has so much intensity, aggression, talent on display and competition. The players are some of the best. So when you are competing on a regular basis with some of the best, you are more likely to improve and be in top shape. This is actually a fact and there is research on this-- across board, not just in football.

It doesnt mean that no other team can win--as we can see others have. It was like when Real and Barca were at each other's throat and both could absolutely not even drop one point. If they did, the other will probably win that weekend and open up a lead. The competition was so steep that even when either played a sh1t team, they have to be at the top of their game. During that period, I believe both Barca and Madrid made the CL semi-finals and i think Barca won it twice. Competition takes you to another level!

As for Bundesliga, I watch Bundesliga. Its actually a league with strong competition! Bayern dominates because Bayern is better than them, of course, but the teams in the Bundesliga are very competitive.

The profile of players may be different but the intensity of Ligue 1 is high, and the physical level is one of the highest in Europe. Its a league with very high quality league talent.

What is lacks is the marketing ability of the EPL.

Just a few seasons ago City couldn't get past the first round of the CL; then couldn't get past the 2nd group stage. Was the EPL low intensity then?

The CL is about moments and know how/quality to navigate such.

PSG have been in s/finals and final in recent years. No different give or take from City's recent experience...

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:13 pm
green4life wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:02 pm Great result. I can’t complain notwithstanding that Pool should’ve been down to 10 men long before Sallah’s goal.
For who, Chelsea?

To be fair to G4L, the team that wins the league doesnt have to be the best. The more points dropped (as City did to the likes of Southampton) the better for the competitors.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

danfo driver wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:18 pm
For who, Chelsea?

To be fair to G4L, the team that wins the league doesnt have to be the best. The more points dropped (as City did to the likes of Southampton) the better for the competitors.
True to an extent - though City and Liverpool dropping points against each other probably doesn't help Chelsea all that much as they've failed to beat both teams.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

wanaj0 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:43 am
kajifu wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:19 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:18 pm
kbt wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:51 am
The YeyeMan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:11 pm Adeyemi - another rumoured target - scored twice for Salzburg today.
Shame he chose Germany over Nigeria.
Same with Danjuma choosing Holland - he was born in Nigeria.
Some one call he papa fast
So that he can be owed match bonus etc?
According to Wiki, na him mama be Naija. Also, I think it is too late for him to play for Nigeria. He has already played for Holland.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Molue Conductor wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:06 pm Pool should have been down to 10
Klopp clearly dodged a bullet there. Even before half time, I was yelling for him to pull the old man, who was being targeted by City with young Foden rampaging down the left and subjecting him to all manner of horrible torture. It was only a question of time before Milner committed another atrocious foul, yet Klopp, great coach as he is, failed to do what was very obvious to a very average football IQ fan like me. I don't understand it. Klopp does this every once in a while, and Liverpool could have lost today because of it.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Chief, me I no like "fair results" :D Liverpool should have won it if Fabinho had been a split second quicker in the dying minutes. But woulda, shoulda, coulda, he is not a razor-sharp forward, so I am forgiving of the failure. :D The team defence needs work, and Virgil is not yet up to pre-injury Virgil. I am always worried with corner kicks, and when Liverpool is leading, I am never sure if they will successfully close shop.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

ohsee wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:00 pm
Klopp clearly dodged a bullet there. Even before half time, I was yelling for him to pull the old man, who was being targeted by City with young Foden rampaging down the left and subjecting him to all manner of horrible torture. It was only a question of time before Milner committed another atrocious foul, yet Klopp, great coach as he is, failed to do what was very obvious to a very average football IQ fan like me. I don't understand it. Klopp does this every once in a while, and Liverpool could have lost today because of it.

A good part of Milner's struggles came from failures in MF.

Its often a risk/reward thing, until it becomes too risky if u are lucky...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:42 pm
For who, Chelsea?

True to an extent - though City and Liverpool dropping points against each other probably doesn't help Chelsea all that much as they've failed to beat both teams.

Pointless looking at the table at this time imo...

Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

How did James Milner not get a second yellow for a blatant trip on a player ready to attack the Liverpool half.
Looks like Good Ol Englisha bias
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Sleaky72 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:55 pm How did James Milner not get a second yellow for a blatant trip on a player ready to attack the Liverpool half.
Looks like Good Ol Englisha bias

Happens all the time. Nothing to do with English bias

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

txj wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:50 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:42 pm
For who, Chelsea?

Pointless looking at the table at this time imo...
Yeah, it is.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

ohsee wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:09 pm
Chief, me I no like "fair results" :D Liverpool should have won it if Fabinho had been a split second quicker in the dying minutes. But woulda, shoulda, coulda, he is not a razor-sharp forward, so I am forgiving of the failure. :D The team defence needs work, and Virgil is not yet up to pre-injury Virgil. I am always worried with corner kicks, and when Liverpool is leading, I am never sure if they will successfully close shop.
I don't know.... that was an amazing block. Liverpool's defence has been good prior to the last two games - City will always score goals, Brentford was likely an anomaly.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

For who, Chelsea?

Maybe by ending of May, or maybe not. But as of today, the table disagrees with you. So stop behaving like a bitter market woman.